Protest The Hero

PDA

View Full Version : Protest The Hero

NFFC_1865
04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Finally for the first time ever these guys are coming to Europe, gonna see them playing alongside Every Time I Die but I'm most interested in Protest. Anybody here like them?

Quite a technical band, they wrote all the songs so that they couldn't play them and then learned them in like the next couple of years... when they started they were pretty much your basic punk band so they've worked ****ing hard!

http://www.myspace.com/protestthehero

BonnyTylerMoore
04-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah they're pretty awesome. I like them anyway, actually come from the same town as me, Whitby, Ontario.

bigwig
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Kezia is probably going to be the best album of the year IMO.

waldorphPRS41
05-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Search.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341353

Nybb
05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
lol, this is what, Protest the Hero Thread #6 in the last while? Do a search every once in a while people. :peace:

Good band though.

sonixon
05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Kezia is probably going to be the best album of the year IMO.

It came out a year ago.

Love them BTW. I played chess against Luke.

pmeg568c
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
It came out a year ago.

lol owned

yes, and very good band

AbsentiA
05-03-2006, 11:41 AM
i'm pretty sure it came out in late summer/early fall of '05

Gomorrah
05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
It came out in Canada last year and it came out in early April in the U.S.

kryptonite22
05-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I downloaded that CD and so far it sounds very good indeed actually. I haven't found a decent heavy-ish band in ages, so I was pleased.

NFFC_1865
05-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I couldnt find any threads for them whe I searched. ;s Just threads with a few posts about them included...

.:bleednomore:.
05-03-2006, 07:00 PM
This band is so sick.
Kezia kicks soo much ass.

RHCPhysco8
05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Protest the Hero accomplish what A7X fail to do.

Which is a good thing.

AbsentiA
05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Protest the Hero accomplish what A7X fail to do.

Which is a good thing.
a7x fail at everything.

Paint
05-03-2006, 10:34 PM
a7x fail at everything.

they even fail at blowing their load in 14 year old girls

duncang
05-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Very good band, the most technical metalcore band there is, I say. Sure, Trivium has some pretty good guitar work, but they have 4/4 in every song, whereas Protest go wild with signatures.

Threadstarter: I was gonna see them with Every Time I Die (and Exit Ten, who I like too) but it seems I can't afford it, when you look at funds for Tool, Download and my new amp.

RHCPhysco8
05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
a7x fail at everything.

This is true.

STRAT811
05-04-2006, 03:29 PM
I lerrvs me some Protest the Hero. Ill band, dawgs

bigwig
05-04-2006, 08:50 PM
they just released it on vagrant on april 4th i believe. i couldnt find it anywhere until they released it except from leaks

ph3n0m
05-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Protest the Hero tops my fav hardcore bands list. The 5th Commandment, Bury The Hatchet, Divinity Within, Turn Soonest to the Sea, and of course Blindfolds Aside are my favs.

What are your guys' thoughts on the Blindfolds Aside video?

bigwig
05-05-2006, 02:22 AM
my favs are No Stars Over Bethelham, Nautical, Blindfolds aside, and Heretics and Killers. this cd has totally changed the way i look at the guitar.

ProtestTheHero
05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
i saw them on april 23rd really good i like their stuff a lot

Seth Shadow
05-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I saw them in concert and their best song was blindfolds aside :D

Keegs22
05-26-2006, 07:15 PM
<--- My Kezia Flower didn't really come out, in 50x50 pixels :/

But yeah, Protest are crazy good, I saw 'em once, their comin' back this summer I believe, Can't wait.

AbsentiA
05-28-2006, 12:16 AM
The CD has definitely been available in Canada since the fall of '05 here in Canada. I absolutely love those guys. It's such an amazing record. I can't wait to see them in August. It's funny cuz they are playing with NOFX here in halifax and yet I am most definitely more excited to see Protest.

#_of_the_beast
05-30-2006, 07:56 AM
These guys are absolutly amazing, my favorite song by them is definitly Heretics and Killers, Bury the Hatchet is a close second tho

prisonofreason
05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Do these guys play in drop Db? I've seen tabs for these guys in like four different tunings, but the most common is Db (C#). Anyone know for sure?

sonixon
06-14-2006, 12:02 AM
WOOT

Check out this shit:

"Flip the Switch '06

featuring:
NOFX

with:
AGAINST ME
PROTEST THE HERO
CANCER BATS
THE GORGEOUS
HOSTAGE LIFE
LETTER UNFOLDS
RISKY BUSINESS
DEAN MALENKOS
HOPE
THE HOLD

Monday, August 14 @ Alderney Landing Events Plaza, Dartmouth NS
Tickets onsale at 4pm on Saturday June 3rd through Ticket Atlantic-by phone, e-mail, box office and participating Superstores. All info at www.ticketatlantic.com"

I'm so pumped.

)Eric(Draven
06-16-2006, 04:17 AM
a7x fail at everything.
Which in turn causes Protest to accomplish everything. Everything.

Anyways, I can't believe it took me this long to get into this band. It's about 3:15 AM here and I just stole Kezia from Brandon (lol sry d00d but I didn't figure you'd care and also you were asleep so I didn't think it mattered. But if you'd rather me not do that then I'm really sorry and just let me know so I can know not to do that anymore).

Anyways... this album is amazing. I sort of think it is more metal... but of course anything even remotely exciting can't be considered metal. Not to mention the youthful sounding, but still extremely... EXTREMELY strong vocals.

I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with this band.

Ok; album?

It's a concept album of course. I'm only starting to kind of catch on. I'm pretty sure I've got a lot of it wrong though.

I know there is a main character named Kezia. Kezia is a girl, right? Is she like, some kind of divine diety? Why is she so important? I think I understand that she is captured and killers herself in track 9.

I also think are a few more characters.

A priest possibly? A holy man, but only a man. He wants to kill Kezia for some reason?

Also, a soldier maybe? A gunman at least... Who is sort of divine or everyone thinks he is? I dont know. Someone help me out because concept albums fascinate me.

kryptonite22
06-16-2006, 08:30 AM
^ All I know (by 'know', I mean 'think')...

Tracks 1-3 = the priest/judge's story

Tracks 4-6 = the soldier/executioner's story

Tracks 7-9 = Kezia's perspective

Track 10 = the conclusion/finale/whatever

)Eric(Draven
06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok sweet. Thanks.

Although I don't think I really understand how they all fit together. Most particularly how Kezia plays into all of this.

MANATEEN
06-16-2006, 03:55 PM
im seeing this band tomorrow, i cant wait, anyone know if there shows bring mosh or hxc dancing?

)Eric(Draven
06-16-2006, 04:27 PM
I can't tell if you're kidding or not.

kryptonite22
06-17-2006, 10:06 AM
:haha

I'm not too sure of the story myself. I think it would be easier if I had the real CD, but I can't find it anywhere over here yet STILL. I was sure it was due to come out a few weeks back but still no sign of it. As it is, I really cannot be bothered to crawl through pages of internet lyrics sites to find them, so I'm gonna wait for the release or get it imported. Interesting to see where they go after this, whether the next album will be another concept or just your regular album?

stratstrummer40
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
yeah the bassist wrote the story for the concept album, you can find the story online somewhere im pretty sure.

Independent27
06-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the story is that Kezia is being put to death via the electric chair or something, and it shows 3 concepts of it, one from her, one from her prison guard and one from the priest who speaks the last words to her.

)Eric(Draven
06-18-2006, 01:37 AM
But doesnt she kill herself?

How can they murder her if this happens?

kryptonite22
06-18-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that her death is meant to be by firing squad.

)Eric(Draven
06-18-2006, 11:08 PM
I think it's SUPPOSED to be by firing squad, but I think she killers herself via "The Divine Suicide of K."

frd_marshll
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
i got Kezia yesterday and i would say i like it the drumming and the vocals remind me of the mars volta at times

MANATEEN
06-19-2006, 11:08 PM
i just saw them, on sat. wasnt all that impressed... idk

kryptonite22
06-20-2006, 05:55 AM
I think it's SUPPOSED to be by firing squad, but I think she killers herself via "The Divine Suicide of K." Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I didn't explain that so well in the last post. 'Blindfolds Aside' sounds like the conscience of the gunman to me. That would make sense as it's the last in his set of songs. I'm doing this without lyrics other than what I can make out (which, to be fair, is quite a few, but its always here to see the booklet), so I might be off the mark completely.

onlyonehere
06-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Well i've finally checked these guys out and boy am I impressed. I've just ordered the album (Rob - they have in on Amazon.co.uk for a fiver) :D

kryptonite22
06-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Oh good spot. I'll probably have a look up in Cardiff when I go up for Collision Course Festival :p:

Great CD though. Just examined the lyrics some more. Intriguing.

Gomorrah
06-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Anyways, I can't believe it took me this long to get into this band. It's about 3:15 AM here and I just stole Kezia from Brandon (lol sry d00d but I didn't figure you'd care and also you were asleep so I didn't think it mattered. But if you'd rather me not do that then I'm really sorry and just let me know so I can know not to do that anymore).

Yeah that's wierd that it took you a while to get into seeing as how they are as accessable as Warped Tour bands. And don't apologize to someone for stealing music from them, I have about 4 or 5 screen names on my buddy list in which I've never talked to in my life, I just steal **** from them.

)Eric(Draven
06-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Haha.

Well it's not really an accessability issue, I know where to get stuff, I just don't go get it. I'm usually really caught up with this band or that band because I'm only 15 and I've only been into the whole music scene thing or whatever us kids call it for about two years now so it's like every day I've got something new to check out.

And then I get lazy.

And yeah, I didn't think he'd care but I just wanted to make sure. Don't wanna be pissin' a brutha off you know what'am sayin?

Gomorrah
06-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Word.

I'm considering going to warped tour just to see this band, and possibly Against Me even though they will play their horrible stuff.

MANATEEN
06-23-2006, 12:26 AM
ya, thats where i jsut saw Protest the hero, if your going jsut to see 2 bands then dont, because pth wasnt all that great, definantly not as good as i expected.

Papathurzday
06-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I saw Protest the Hero. In short, they were the worst act that night. And they sucked. But they were playing in the wrong crowd (it was a dragonforce concert). I don't really like them. Mostly because of the vulgar stuff the singer was saying inbetween songs. And the bassist was weird.

whereami
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
i heard they lose their quality as musicians when they play live because of the high energy levels, I saw a live video of them on prv, and as much as i like these guys, i wasn't impressed at all, rather dissappointed, especially that rody the singer couldn't even sing properly.

MANATEEN
06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I saw Protest the Hero. In short, they were the worst act that night. And they sucked. But they were playing in the wrong crowd (it was a dragonforce concert). I don't really like them. Mostly because of the vulgar stuff the singer was saying inbetween songs. And the bassist was weird.

ya there singer was talking about having sex with his family, like how he lost his virginity to his dad, and how he banged his sister, we laughed but still kind of weird.

calvinthecanadi
08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
They just announced their new album "Fortress" due out November 6th at Warped Tour in Toronto yesterday.

kevinm4435
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm gonna see them on Friday. From what I've seen on Youtube their musicianship has improved since 2006, although their singer's range is seriously messed up.

sonixon
08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Just saw them on Coldbrook. Seeing them again on saturday in Halifax.

Unreal.

frd_marshll
08-16-2007, 02:01 AM
new album is done and comes out nov. 6

yay

Tim Remains
08-16-2007, 02:04 AM
new album is done and comes out nov. 6

yay
YAY :)

Frenzied
08-17-2007, 01:56 AM
I'll be anxious to hear some new music from them as I've only been a fan for a short time. I've worn Kezia out in the last couple weeks. It's refreshing to hear a band this type of music with the energy that they do. I'm disheartened, though, to see so many people don't really care for their live show.

Horvat
08-17-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't mind these guys. Guitars are really good on Kezia.

x0rsist
08-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I'll be anxious to hear some new music from them as I've only been a fan for a short time. I've worn Kezia out in the last couple weeks. It's refreshing to hear a band this type of music with the energy that they do. I'm disheartened, though, to see so many people don't really care for their live show.

Apparently this is either before kezia or just after it. They have improved 200% live. mark my words! i Defo wanna see them real bad. plus a bunch of17-19 year olds writing this stuff??????Insane. it really is.

FollowtheReaper
08-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Kezia is definately one of my favorite albums of all time, and has influenced my playing so much since i first got it. But from the videos I've seen online, I can't say that they are anywhere near as good live as on the album. Hopefully by the time the next cd comes out Rody will learn how to sing live.

sonixon
08-20-2007, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSJo4Rck1w

Filmed that when they came here last week.

TheJManSays
08-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I love the DEP-sound the intro has, and Luke's tapping part was sweet. This album is gonna wreck every other CD's colon.

TheJManSays
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I got bored and decided to see what I thought the story was saying. I don't make any claim that any of this is the truth! Just the way I see it.

Prison Priest
No Stars Over Bethlehem: The priest tells how God was killed (We stuck another in his back to seal creation's fate) and the subsequent poverty and chaos (laid our entire civilization to rest). The church is looking for a scapegoat for the death of God (When St. Michael sized means find an end to justify a belief to fortify this stained glass disgrace), although the priest already knows it's helpless (Amen to the fools who think there's still a way to help us).

Heretics & Killers: I think this is the story of the priest's career. It reveals that the priest has no faith in God, but he is violent and alcoholic and only uses him to justify what he's done (used God to seal the pillars after twenty years of fighting...; I'm not your son, so why have you forsaken me?). He preaches what he doesn't even believe in (I'm a parrot in a cage still saying prayers that belong to a textbook...).

Divinity Within: The priest gets ready to read Kezia (the scapegoat) her last rights. However, he's terrified of her because he thinks she knows about his "void of divinity within" and will expose it, destroying the power he has (I watch my temple fall to pieces).

Prison Guard
Bury the Hatchet: The prison guard describes himself as a brute who takes his pay for brutalizing prisoners. He starts to reveal that he knows he's lost his humanity (mind under matter career; I swear I have compassion, I've just been trained to disregard the prisoner's life).

Nautical: I think this song makes reference to the crusades (drowned the ancient east in western progress) and how the prison guard doesn't believe in his occupation as a soldier of religion in the crusades, and also in Kezia's trial (the closest thing to a fashion trend...). Probably also a reference to Iraq as a comparison to a crusade as well (bastard sons of American fore-fathers). The guard contemplates how what he's done will affect future generations, and reveals that he doesn't want to fight anymore (I begged this place to let me burn).

Blindfolds Aside: The guard sees Kezia as a representation of his future ans how his occupation and killing her will affect his future (a sin that fed my children and burned my smiles and cigarettes). He doesn't want to execute her because he sees her as hope for the future. He realizes he's the one who is truly blindfolded, and must decide whether he will execute her or wake up from his blindness in his in his life (..or drop the gun and try to shake away the blindfold from your eyes?).

Kezia
She Who Mars the Skin of the Gods: This song has the least lyrics but I think it's the most complicated, so I won't pretend to understand it 100%. Kezia remembers her dysfunctional family, and how suicidal her mother was, and that she [the mother] killed her father (it was the lonely grey of my father's eyes) after a beating (it was our gender to blame). Kezia gets a letter the night before she's set to be executed, but doesn't want to read it (because I know it's not from you), maybe revealing that he mother is dead herself. Kezia then plans to commit suicide (the shotgun will instead).

Turn Soonest to the Sea: Kezia contemplates female's role in society and how she lost her virginity and tries to accept it. She thinks about the messages society has sent her and hopes one day for a society without intolerance for females.

Divine Suicide: Kezia contemplates how she will stand up to the questioning, and is still hoping for mercy. She realizes that she, like the priest and the guard, has been stripped of everything that was once hers. As she prepares to kill herself, she thinks about resurrection and the cycle of life, realizing that no matter what happens, she will always be herself as a symbol of hope to the people.

Plateful of Our Dead: The narrator considers the ridiculous morals of the religion in the story (sometimes when fundamentals meat teenage heartbreak; if I believed in meat I'd eat a plateful of our dead). I think the narrator ridicules the society's sense of destruction [Kezia's execution] as being more important than construction (there's merit in construction... beauty in destruction...) and the selfish beliefs of the priest (there's a you and I in union but just an I in our beliefs). I'll look into the rest later.

frd_marshll
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
dose anybody play guitar hero

because PTH would be prefect for that game