What if Stevie...

PDA

View Full Version : What if Stevie...

ibanez_rocker
05-05-2006, 07:49 PM
I was watching a video of Stevie Ray Vaughans preformances at Austin City Limits and I started to wonder....what if Stevie had gotten a Les Paul or SG instead of a Strat and decided to play metal or something along those lines. Do you think he would have been as good with that as he was with blues?

Personally, I think he would, as long as he has a guitar in his hands, I think he can do anything.

Tenacious Me
05-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Thje guitar doesnt always decide what you play. I think he would play the blues no matter what.

ibanez_rocker
05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Thje guitar doesnt always decide what you play. I think he would play the blues no matter what.

Well, thats not always true..when I picked up a Les Paul that my bro has, it made me want to play rock, instead of the blues type path that I was looking towards.

Tenacious Me
05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I know and what you are saying is true to some extent but I think the blues where natural to Stevie.

Dirk Gently
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm also guitar sensitive like that, but he's right. Yngwie shreds on a Strat. Clapton did a lot of electric blues playing in the 60s on Gibsons. I would imagine SRV was doing exactly what he wanted and was meant to do.

sheratonplyr369
05-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm also guitar sensitive like that, but he's right. Yngwie shreds on a Strat. Clapton did a lot of electric blues playing in the 60s on Gibsons. I would imagine SRV was doing exactly what he wanted and was meant to do.

well said

Tenacious Me
05-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Thank you Dirk you were able to say what I meant better than me.

TheHeartbreaker
05-05-2006, 08:38 PM
I listened to SRV Talks (or something like that) on, I believe... the Texas Flood album (don't remember and don't feel like checking).

He said something about how he'd always listened to Albert King and stuff, and he worked at this place where he's take barrels of stuff out back to get rid of. One day he stood on top of a barrel and it broke, and he fell in. He got fired, and decided he'd learn to play guitar like Albert King.

Later on in his career, he got to play with King (which is an album I HIGHLY recommend).

So I don't think it would've mattered what guitar Stevie got - he was born to plays the blues.

ibanez_rocker
05-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Well. I see what all of you are saying, but I was just wondering...do you think he would be good as a rock guitarist?

Dirk Gently
05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
If you mean shredder, who knows? More along the Jimmy Page vein, of course. He'd pwn Page if he was just another blues-based rock guitarist. BTW - ever hear the stuff Stevie Ray did with David Bowie?

The Master Plan
05-05-2006, 11:27 PM
^Like Lets Dance album. Also SRV would probably play the blues because Albert King used a Gibson Flying V and he' a blues man. Also I doubt he'd play anything other than blues if ou look at his past him and his family have blues in their blood.

TNfootballfan62
05-06-2006, 12:10 AM
I've seen a picture of Stevie playing a Les Paul, and i'd be willing to bet he was playing the blues. Him playing the blues has to do with what he grew up listening to and learning, not the guitar he used. But i do think he would be one kick ass rock player if he wanted to be...........thank God he didnt want to be.

SSSteve
05-06-2006, 12:11 AM
I think he knew what sound he was after - and the strat was the guitar to make it. He'd have been a different artist if he had decided to play anything other than a strat - set up how he liked it.

psychodelia
05-06-2006, 10:46 AM
If you mean shredder, who knows? More along the Jimmy Page vein, of course. He'd pwn Page if he was just another blues-based rock guitarist. BTW - ever hear the stuff Stevie Ray did with David Bowie?

Oh hell yes.

That's a dream team right there for me.

TheHeartbreaker
05-06-2006, 11:13 AM
^^Have you (or any of you others guys) heard the Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan album?

That's a "Dream Team".

TNfootballfan62
05-06-2006, 11:17 AM
^^^Yes, thats a very nice album.

psychodelia
05-06-2006, 11:22 AM
^^ Touche... you mean In Session, right?

TNfootballfan62
05-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Yep, thats the one.

IrishBlues
05-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah anyone one that loves the blues should listen to that, love the little talks inbetween songs.

Heres a video from the album:
Matchbox Blues (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nPsIBky8Rg&search=matchbox%20blues)

Stinging_Acid
05-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I think he would of played the blues no matter what.
But it would be weird to play the blues on a Flying V shaped guitar.

TNfootballfan62
05-12-2006, 11:00 PM
^^^Hendrix didn't think so.

IrishBlues
05-13-2006, 10:45 AM
or Albert King

thetearsibleed
05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
stevie was born to play blues...id just laugh so hard to see him dressed like a yngwie malmsteen with a cowboy hat...

Stinging_Acid
05-16-2006, 08:24 PM
^^^Hendrix didn't think so.

I totally forgot about that.

CapitaineGuitar
05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Yea i have a strat myself and i play alot more blues then rock. Then when pic up a les paul or Ibanez or sumthing i play more metal. Its kinda wierd:)
But then again Stevie was born in texas where thers lotsa blues so i guess it wouldnt have mattered, but u havta also think of his influences 2.

ibanez_rocker
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM
my point ^^ :D

mrbreeze
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
SRV was probably born for the blues, but I heard him play a 12-string once, and he did things I didn't think one would even think of trying on such an instrument. I think if he's have picked up a banjo, or a ukulele or a autoharp, he'd own them too.

TNfootballfan62
05-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I think this picture will end all discussion on this topic:

http://www.bluesup.com/bluesupPicturesExtra/SteveRayVaughanLesPaul.jpg

For some reason i get the feeling that he's playing the blues in that picture. ;)

schitz
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Dude, Stevie's guitar face is so intense it's kinda scary. What a badass....love that guy.