Quick Connect Pickups

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Connect Pickups

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok, i'm almost positive this belongs in this forum, if not i'll be happy to delete it and remake it where it belongs.

I've seen the EMG pickups that use plugs to connect everything together. I'm thinking of doing that to my parker (using a male and female 4 wire mini connector) so that I can quick connect my pickups when I want to change my tone. Are there any negative effects to this? I'm assuming not but I just want a second opinion before I decide to hook all the plugs up. (I guess it wouldn't be too hard to cut the plugs off and solder just the wires together, but i'm looking for ease in switching parts)
Thanks guys

ibanez4life SZ!
05-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Do you mean that you want to make the current pups "quick connect?" If so, then I guess it is possible in theory, and actually a very cool idea.

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Well my goal is (since i've got a pile of pickups laying in my garage in a box..) is to put the quick connects on all my pickups. That way, if I feel funky and wanna swap out my pickups, it isnt going to take me a half hour to resolder in the new pups.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 11:48 AM
This is actually one of the projects I've been thinking through since I have access to a bunch of really very nice PUs from the upgrade help I've done for various friends, etc.

I first thought about it after I saw the mess of my first soldering job. I'm thinking that as long as the connections are secure and won't pop out, the sound should not be affected. I'm going to look into the 4-wire mini connectors you mentioned.

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Ok here's (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CON-440/189/4-CONDUCTOR_LOCKING_CONNECTORS_W_LEADS_.html) a link of the parts I plan on using for this 'project'. Also I found smaller ones here (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CON-244/189/4-PIN_CONNECTOR_W_HEADER,_.10%22#34;_.html) that actually look like the EMG ones.

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 12:02 PM
ibanez4life SZ! Thanks man, its been a thought thats been bouncing in my head ever since It dawned on me how thin my parker sounds. Then the thought of 'work' entered my mind and I was like UGHHH..

Ippon: I'm not terrible at soldering, I just don't have a perfectly steady hand and i'm not really willing to damage the finish of my parker with my soldering iron. Plus, if I am unsatisfied with my current pickups, I can just pop the strings, unscrew the pup and replace the mofo. Hell I figure if EMG does it, it can't be totally bad. Check out them two links I put up and maybe hit radioshack or an electronics/computer store. I'm sure theyd sell them.

As for me, i'm probably going to goto radio shack or an elec/computer store like I mentioned to see what I can dig up.

Thanks guys.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Those would look clean and pro indeed. Please confirm that I'm following your thinking. The 4-wire female connectors would be installed with the switch and all the PUs and the rest of the solders that "normally" don't get touched will be left alone. Then there will be wires with "male" connectors at both ends that will be used to attach whatever you're plugging?

My initial idea was simply to attach hooks or plugs to each end of the PU wires that will hook or plug into the common ground and the switch's round thingies.

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Basically yes, I never thought to go as far as the pots and switches yet (but maybe in the future) but as far as I'm planning now..

[Pickup]
||||
[male]
[female]
||||
[Control]

Basically I plan on just using the existing wiring and putting the connector off the pickup wires and off the wires from the controls. You're idea completely encompasses the entire guitar, I was only planning on doing the pickups for now. But doing the entire guitar like that would be pretty badass, i'm going to have to think about that.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Ganjrockr, my soldering skills have really improved so the project is more of a convenience thing.

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I wasn't trying to insult you, I was just saying that my soldering skills aren't terrible. Its to save time and energy (and possible frustrations) by being able to plug and play with new hardware for the guitar.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 12:29 PM
None taken really ... the idea of the quick connect came after I saw this huge mound of solder after my first attempt!

tongue untied
05-06-2006, 01:11 PM
it sounds liek a great diea

i have thought of it myself

but- it leads you to having pups that can be split, and you may not have that option with them

That_Pink_Queen
05-06-2006, 02:23 PM
If it takes you half an hour to solder in some pickups to pots you have a disease. Mine take 3 minutes max. Sounds like you just need a hotter soldering iron.

IMO the ease you may have later on doesn't justify the work you have to do now. Just solder, its easy. Kind of a stupid idea methinks.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 02:31 PM
It's kinda like the PC's plug N play concept ... and it'll be simpler to just unscrew the PUs, unhook the connection (way less time than the 3 minutes), then screw the other PUs, and hook/plug.

Imagine manufacturers of PUs, guitar switches, and pots agreeing on some standard plug N play connectors ... it'll encourage players who are wary of soldering and/or unwilling to go pay a pro to install new PUs and/or whatever excuse, to maybe buy or experiment with more PUs because the deal breaker is removed.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Also, replacing the caps to go from woman tone to vintage to rock would be more convenient, specially for for Strat players. :)

That_Pink_Queen
05-06-2006, 02:49 PM
3 minutes if for the whole guitar. This is how it works.

1st minutes-hook up soldering iron, start unstringing.
1nd minute-take out pickups, take out soldering iron
3rd minute-solder in pickups, start reassembing
Then you just restring.

Ippon
05-06-2006, 02:59 PM
3 minutes if for the whole guitar. This is how it works.

1st minutes-hook up soldering iron, start unstringing.
1nd minute-take out pickups, take out soldering iron
3rd minute-solder in pickups, start reassembing
Then you just restring.
That's wicked fast! I'm comfortable with soldering and getting quite competent but it's a real convenience if all I needed to replace PUs was a screwdriver. For those who haven't soldered, or are wary of soldering, or unwilling to make a trip to the local pro and actually pay, or whatever reason, making the product so simple to install would be a bonus and can only be positive. This would be a benefit for the non-tweaking majority.

That_Pink_Queen
05-06-2006, 03:01 PM
^However, you need the know-how to install all the plug and play sockets/plugs/whatever. They'll be put off by having to install even more the first time around..if you're gonna have to solder all that crap on,you might as well do the pickups instead.

xanavi
05-06-2006, 03:04 PM
it would be a good idea so then it's easier to switch pickups when you want to. tell me how it goes and i'll try it :D

Ippon
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
^However, you need the know-how to install all the plug and play sockets/plugs/whatever. They'll be put off by having to install even more the first time around..if you're gonna have to solder all that crap on,you might as well do the pickups instead.
This is more of a personal project for now.

My idea above was more of a wish for manufacturers to actually offer this plug N play feature for PUs, switches, pots, and caps.

I don't think the casual player with casual soldering skills would bother to do all this prep work for future convenience. But then, maybe some would.

tongue untied
05-06-2006, 03:27 PM
pink- i think your underestimatin you time.

i can see soldering pups in less that 10 minutes- but 3? that gettin a little iffy

for me- even with the emg quick connect system- it takes me 15-20 mintues to change pups

that includes de stringing/loosening string, taking off the pup ring- takign the pup off the ring, re attaching them to the rings, re attaching the quick connect,, re installing pup/ring, tuning

add a nother 10 minutes to that if you have a FR

i have changed the pups in my schecter alot- trying to see what i like best- and i know that antyhing faster than15 minutes is a rushed job- and if thats all the time you have- you shouldnt even bother

Ganjrockr
05-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I was just using a half hour as an example. Gotta cut the strings, take off the pickguard (for strat style) take out the pups, cut the wires.. or unsolder. Clean up the excess solder, resolder and blah blah. I just want it for ease of swapping pickups. I don't have access to a soldering iron if im out at a friends, itd be easier to pop the strings and swap the pups.

I don't rush things so im not going to be pullin a 3 minute pup job. Anyways, I have the connectors so I'll probably start working on it tomorrow or monday depending on what I have to do tomorrow.

That_Pink_Queen
05-06-2006, 08:42 PM
pink- i think your underestimatin you time.

i can see soldering pups in less that 10 minutes- but 3? that gettin a little iffy

for me- even with the emg quick connect system- it takes me 15-20 mintues to change pups

that includes de stringing/loosening string, taking off the pup ring- takign the pup off the ring, re attaching them to the rings, re attaching the quick connect,, re installing pup/ring, tuning

add a nother 10 minutes to that if you have a FR

i have changed the pups in my schecter alot- trying to see what i like best- and i know that antyhing faster than15 minutes is a rushed job- and if thats all the time you have- you shouldnt even bother
I do it alot...at least once a week, I'm always tinkering...I've been putting active pickups and tone controls and stuff in my guitars, and by now I can easily get the strings off and the pickguard off in a minute...trust me, no problem. I use a string winder thing, so I loosen the strings in a second. Then I use an electric screwdriver for the pickguard screws, thats pretty easy too. I pull the pickguard out from other the strings, pop out the pickup, and stick in the new one, and solder. Screws back together, strings rewound, then I tune. Easy. I do it all the time.

Johnnyboy66
05-06-2006, 09:08 PM
If it takes you half an hour to solder in some pickups to pots you have a disease. Mine take 3 minutes max. Sounds like you just need a hotter soldering iron.

IMO the ease you may have later on doesn't justify the work you have to do now. Just solder, its easy. Kind of a stupid idea methinks.

I kinda like the idea, you really dont need to get out the soldering iron, or have the risk of burning yourself and whatnot.

Id do it if I had the knowledge.

That_Pink_Queen
05-07-2006, 02:42 AM
^Burn yourself :haha
N00b!

Steph Bets
05-07-2006, 07:47 AM
i'd love to do something simialr to that to a tele- you know the dan armstrong dave grohl uses with the interchangeable pickups? i'd love to build some kind of enclosure so you could just pop pickups in and out. it'd be kinda funky.

Johnnyboy66
05-07-2006, 12:51 PM
^Burn yourself :haha
N00b!

:haha
Ok pinky, the saftey word is banana.