Rhythm Changes

PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm Changes

kmbuchamushroom
05-10-2006, 04:53 PM
My Jazz band at school is going to play some songs tomorrow based on rhythm changes. I was wondering what these chords are exactly. I thought they might be the chord changes to 'I got Rhythm',but I really don't know. Thanks in advance guys! (Hopefully this is the right forum)

Steve Cropper
05-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Ya you got it. It's the changes Gershwin used in general it's just that on I've Got Rythym everythings a bit rushed.

~1954~
05-12-2006, 05:30 AM
:confused: Rhythym changes? what would they have anything to with what chords to use?

kmbuchamushroom
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
^ Ya that would seem confusing. Fortuneately I had heard the term before and knew it was some sort of chord progression. Anyway thanks a bunch Steve

psychodelia
05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
:confused: Rhythym changes? what would they have anything to with what chords to use?

I think I'm about as confused as you are. It doesn't seem to me that this would have anything to do with "I got Rhythm". Do you (threadstarter) mean you'll be given chord changes and you'll play that?

Steve Cropper
05-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Heres how it went...... I've got Rythym comes out written for whatever show or movie. Its new and incredible shows so much far thinking the jazz musicians catch on. The general chord changes that the song uses become so popular everyone rips them off and transposes them to different keys and throws in this or that chord here and there to subsitute for this or that one. Then it kind of becomes a standard writing procedure for a major key jazz song.

kmbuchamushroom
05-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I think I'm about as confused as you are. It doesn't seem to me that this would have anything to do with "I got Rhythm". Do you (threadstarter) mean you'll be given chord changes and you'll play that?
Yes. Its just easier to say "rhythm" than "I got rhythm". And since I play bass all I needed were the chords.