this got me thinking...

PDA

View Full Version : this got me thinking...

pistols
05-11-2006, 03:23 AM
I was reading up on cream, and read that jack bruce and the ginger baker (think thats his last name) were jazz musicians. Then I read that although clapton considered himself a blues guitarist, they considered him a jazz guitarist, because of the extended soloing, etc.

What do you think?

dr_john
05-11-2006, 07:46 AM
bruce and baker both played in the graham bond organisation before cream, which was a jazz/blues fusion band. i guess they all regarded it as a progressive move.

DraketheFake
05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
i think bruce once said 'cream were a jazz band, we just didnt tell eric'. in terms of technique clapton is as bluesy as it gets but yeah all the extended improvisation etc they do is more of a jazz thing. blues is heavily influenced by jazz in many ways so its no suprise you have many grey areas

Resiliance
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
No, not jazz.

~1954~
05-12-2006, 05:27 AM
I can see why they might be likened to that of a jazz band but only because of the way that they used to perform, the extended improvisations etc. But there was nothing really jazzy about their sound- their final album consisted of a number of pop chart songs like Badge etc.

TheHeartbreaker
05-12-2006, 05:12 PM
i think bruce once said 'cream were a jazz band, we just didnt tell eric'. in terms of technique clapton is as bluesy as it gets but yeah all the extended improvisation etc they do is more of a jazz thing. blues is heavily influenced by jazz in many ways so its no suprise you have many grey areas

Yeah, I heard that quote too. I definetly agree with what you say, though.

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Clapton has always considered himself a blues guitarist at heart, and rightly so, IMO.

VR2005
05-14-2006, 09:56 PM

I think it's the other way around blues came first so they influenced jazz.

redwing_suck
05-15-2006, 02:12 AM
^any jazz that we know coming from about 1930 on is a result of jazz, not the other way around. Everything was jazz before it became what is is today, that's the rule of thumb.

wil
05-15-2006, 08:47 AM
The cream improvs---ive got bootlegs that go on for over 20 minutes---are extended blues 'jams'---sometimes it sounds as though each band member is playing a different song!---and arent really jazzy at all, more your basic 12 bar, I,IV,V romp.

Baker and Bruce were accomplished(ish) jazz musicians, but Clapton was not, he was more about 'feel'.

IrishBlues
05-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Despite how good Clapton was/is, he did not like the extended soloing in Cream. There were times that Bruce and Baker would be soloing and Clapton would walk off of stage and they wouldnt care.

hippy12
05-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were jazz musicians, Bruce went back to jazz after cream. Baker formed his own jazz band later but also played other styles. Cream were a blues-rock/ psychedelic rock band though.

StaggHound
05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
To me, this whole thing sounds strange.

I always figured Cream were a rock band.

Stinging_Acid
05-16-2006, 08:14 PM
That's what's great about Cream, they don't fit any specific mold. And they appeal to a couple different genres.

TheHeartbreaker
05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Despite how good Clapton was/is, he did not like the extended soloing in Cream. There were times that Bruce and Baker would be soloing and Clapton would walk off of stage and they wouldnt care.

Yeah. In fact, I heard some of that added to their breakup. Clapton said one time when they were jamming he just stopped playing, but Jack and Ginger kept going as though nothing was the matter.

IrishBlues
05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
^ Yeah ... thats why he ended up leaving ... that and Bruce and Baker would literally beat each other up on stage.