Tele or Strat

PDA

View Full Version : Tele or Strat

The Master Plan
05-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Im buying a new guitar in about 2 months (Need time to save up) and I was wondering what type of Fender to buy, I'm looking for that Robben Ford, Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray Vaughan type of tone. I'm either gonna get a mexi made Tele or a 50'S Reissue strat. If I buy the reissue I'm gonna use the custom harness on my sig below for that.

Thx for reading this and hopefully replying..

mullet0023
05-11-2006, 11:54 PM
it will be hard to get the SRV tone cause he plays his strat through a leslie. thats speaker used for an organ or key board. thats what makes his tone sound that cool. john lennon also recorded his voice through a lesliein the song tommarrow never knows. ( thats a really cool song check that out) actually i think that was one of the first times they used a leslie for expierimenting. lennon said he wanted to sound like he was shouting from tatop a mountain. and the beatles sound engineer geohh emerick thought up the idea to record it through the leslie

andythefir
05-11-2006, 11:59 PM
1st off, theres a huge difference in cost between a mexican tele and a reissue of any kind. Personally, I would reccommend a strat. They have a whammy bar (I dont use it, but for blues you very well might), they have a body contour, and theyre far more versatile. You might be into blues but if you get a country gig or a rock gig or even a jazz gig a strat could cut it, I doubt a tele could. The most important thing, though is comfort. You have to try both out and see which neck you like better, if the lack of a body contour on the tele bothers you.

twocenttip
05-12-2006, 12:02 AM
DON'T BUY A TELECASTER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! (all caps)

~1954~
05-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Get a strat, put Texas Specials pickups on it, use a string gauge of about 13 -58, plus downtune a half step, then have that going into a Tubescreamer (or possibly 2!) then put that through a couple of Marshalls or fenders and a great big dumble amp simultaneously , and youll be in the right ballpark for SRV's sound. :p:

Seriously though, i love strats so i would get one.

ledhed68
05-12-2006, 07:28 AM
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know, anyways you can buy either one and just put heavy strings on it and youll be in the ballpark for SRV's tone, I have a telecaster with 12s and it sounds a lot like SRV, but you should just try out both and see which one you like better

Evil_Empire24-7
05-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Strats Are good for blues but teles are good for slide blues,folk-blues,country ... that sort of thang

~1954~
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know, anyways you can buy either one and just put heavy strings on it and youll be in the ballpark for SRV's tone, I have a telecaster with 12s and it sounds a lot like SRV, but you should just try out both and see which one you like better

Texas specials are available in the UK, check that out:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12230
Maybe you could get them by mailorder.

But anyway, Teles are better for country & chicken pickin' an all that stuff. I would say strats are better for blues, going by personal experience.

Doubleday
05-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I love both teles and strats. It all depends on the type of sound you want.

Strat:
It's a stratocaster. Chances are, you know what it sounds like. Strats can get just about any tone you want. Even the extreme ones, given the right rig. I love them too, but don't discount the--

Tele:
Tele's do one sound really, really, really well. Twang. I keep hearing over and over and over again about how they're just country guitars, but that's not true at all. To get an idea of how good a tele can sound, listen to "Runaround" by Van Halen, off of For Unlawful Carnel Knowledge to get an idea of just how amazing this guitar is.

Both are great, but nobody can tell you what to get. You've gotta find your own dang tone.

TheHeartbreaker
05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I've got a Strat, and I love it.

I'm thinking about getting a Tele as my next guitar, though (I'm a Fender guy), because I don't feel like highering my action on my Strat to play slide (cause you basically can't if you don't **** around with it).

The Master Plan
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Ill probably buy the Strat because its leaned more towards Blues Rock. Also I'll get a custom Lindy Fralin Pickups and harness for it in Sept. The price of the 50's reissue is $420 new in Fiesta Red and Maple Fretboard.

StaggHound
05-12-2006, 06:29 PM
forget Fender, the ultimate blues guitar is the Epi Airscreamer :D

Stinging_Acid
05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Well right now I have a Strat, but i really would like a telecaster. I would go for a tele.

TNfootballfan62
05-12-2006, 11:10 PM
DON'T BUY A TELECASTER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! (all caps)

Don't make a post like that without at least backing it up with why he shouldnt....

I love my strat to death, and its perfect for blues, but dont forget that tele exists. They do blues very well. I'd say that probably the nicest guitar i've ever played was an American Telecaster Deluxe.

Paint
05-13-2006, 02:46 PM
i have a tele and i love it. i put .11 guage strings on it and its so amazing.

The Master Plan
05-14-2006, 01:03 AM
I put .013's on my current guitar if that makes a difference at all, and right now I cant afford a Les Paul.

dontfret
05-14-2006, 02:27 AM
I have both an American Strat and an American Tele, and I prefer the Tele, it just plays so much better, but you can't get a Strat tone from the Tele. You can however get a Tele tone from the strat with a special selector switch that will alow you to select the neck and bridge at the same time to give you more twang. My Tele seems to handle heavier rock better and the Strat is good for Blues rock. I think my next Fender is going to be a Tele thinline.

ufossuck
05-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Why would you want to by a Fender? To look like everyone else?

tossom
05-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Teles can do blues just as well as a Strat, just have a listen to Albert Collins.

I own one of each, and really can't decide between the two.

GKJ
05-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Don't buy a telecaster, unless your afraid of pointy things........

tossom
05-14-2006, 06:10 AM
And what's wrong with a tele exactly?

I suspect you've never played a good telecaster...

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2006, 12:24 PM

B/c these days they are the standard for blues guitars, and for good reason. :D :cheers:

mercedesisbenz
05-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Don't buy a telecaster, unless your afraid of pointy things........
Good logic

I own an american tele and it handles all sorts of blues very well, and if i put it on the neck pickup and open up the tone knob all the way i can get pretty close to a strat tone. It handles all the heavier stuff with ease as well. HOWEVER i don't think you'll be satisfied at all with a mexican tele so If i had your choice I'd pick the 50 strat reissue

ledhed68
05-14-2006, 06:18 PM
originally posted by ~1954~
Texas specials are available in the UK, check that out:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12230
Maybe you could get them by mailorder.

I know theyre available in the UK, but im saying that they arent available in the US at a store as far as i know, what a shame, they deliver amazing sound

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2006, 06:19 PM
^^^You can get Texas Specials in the US. They are made in the US, so i dont see why you wouldnt be able to. I have some, and i live in the US.

ledhed68
05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
^my mistake, then if you get a strat then you should definately put some texas special pickups on it

zep123
05-14-2006, 09:23 PM
strat (mainly cause i own one)

but a tele would be the guitar i'd get next if i were to get another one

ufossuck
05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
B/c these days they are the standard for blues guitars, and for good reason. :D :cheers:
If there's a standard for blues guitars, it's the Gibson ES line. None of the real bluesmen played Fenders, only the blues-rock players do. John Lee Hooker, B.B. King and Freddie King all played ESs and most other electric blues(not blues-rock) was played on Gibsons.

IrishBlues
05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Buddy Guy plays a strat.

As far as the Tele/Strat debate, I bought an American Strat about a month ago and I absolutely love it. For me it has the perfect feel, I love a high action and really heavy strings. Plus most of my favorite guitarists play Strats (Clapton, SRV, Buddy Guy, Hendrix). But you cant forget about how sweet Tele's are. Basically it all comes down to personal feel. Either way your getting a sweet guitar.

VR2005
05-14-2006, 09:54 PM

So they are called "Texas Specials" and they aren't available in the US, hmm interesting.

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2006, 09:59 PM
If there's a standard for blues guitars, it's the Gibson ES line. None of the real bluesmen played Fenders, only the blues-rock players do. John Lee Hooker, B.B. King and Freddie King all played ESs and most other electric blues(not blues-rock) was played on Gibsons.

True, the ES line are classic blues guitars, but people like SRV, Buddy Guy, and Robert Cray have helped to make the stratocaster a standard blues guitar, too.

EDIT: And if the only thing you have against fender is that you would "look like everyone else" then the upsides (for instance, tone) heavily outweigh the downsides.

EDIT II: To VR2005, you can, in fact, get Texas Specials in the US.

wil
05-15-2006, 08:55 AM
I was S-O-O-O disappointed when i tried out a USA Stratocaster--the tone was dull as ditchwater and it would NOT stay in tune---i tried it through a Marshall hoping to get a great SRV/Hendrix sound but i realised id need a shedload of effects to sound like that--this experience seriously put me off strats.

I then tried a Japanese 62' reissue telecaster--which i might add was 100 less than the strat--and i was blown away---people always say the tele is limited but these are the type of people who expect to press a button or flick a switch and get the sound they want--You have to work for your sound people-The tele can do warm, slightly overdriven blues, it can do twangy country and western, it can do great rhythym parts and screaming lead lines--its not great for heavy metal, but id ont give a rats ass.

I ended up buying the tele and ive never looked back, i can go for weeks without having to retune it, i can do two-tone bends without fearing the strings will go out of tune and i can really express myself more on it===i find it much more responsive to dynamics--which is where i found the strat fell flat on its ass--if i dig in with the pick on the tele, it really hammer the thing, or just sroke it lightly, it astonsishes me with its tonal and dynamic variations.

dr_john
05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
i have an american standard strat that i brought back to the uk with me from the states, it's always been my number one (over a US tele and a gibbo les paul standard). unbeatable for action and tone, especially since i put texas special pups on it.

the texas specials are available from the fender website although i have since realised that thet are a lot cheaper on ebay. i have heard a lot of good things about lindy fralin pups and would check them out if i were looking to change again.

:cheers:

eXor
05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
it will be hard to get the SRV tone cause he plays his strat through a leslie. thats speaker used for an organ or key board. thats what makes his tone sound that cool.
srv played trough a fender vibroverb.
Jimi Hendrix played trough the leslie;)

blues_rocker
05-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Buddy Guy plays a strat.

Muddy Waters played a Tele.

Just because a certain artist plays a guitar doesn't make it better, Buddy Guy doesn't play a stock strat, of the same kind that the threadstarter wants to get.

I'd personally go with the Tele.

IrishBlues
05-15-2006, 04:45 PM
^ Yeah I agree I was just saying that there are Blues musicians that play strats. Buddy Guy's strat is awesome, it has that midrange boost like Clapton's does.

tossom
05-15-2006, 07:38 PM
If you're good enough, any guitar is good for blues - Hound Dog Taylor played with gear on par with Jack White's set up and made much better use of it!

There are good strats and bad strats, especially if you're looking at 70's gear - I looked at about 5 different teles before I picked mine. For anyone that's interested it's a 1976 US Tele Custom, battered to bits (would've been 3 tone sunburst 30 years ago) but does the "ice man" sound perfectly.

The Master Plan
05-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Well I plan to have $500 some dollars by July, then I'm gonna go to my nearest SamAsh which is in San Antonio, like 5 hours away. I plan to be in there trying out every strat and tele I can afford (Gonna be a good day). I plan to equip it with some sort of custom harness on my B-day. My saying when buying guitars is like this "Guitar's are like women, you cant go off and marry the first beautifull one you see, because it might look good, but have a horrible tone/personality, you gotta try your options, Oh yea their both expensive."

MastaBassist10
05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know,
Yeah they are, you can buy them from MF.

The Master Plan
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Can someone guive me tips on what to look and hear for when shopping for a strat? Also things to try out when testing the playability.

fronkpies
05-24-2006, 03:44 AM
Im having the same decision issues :haha

Paint
05-24-2006, 07:40 AM
today i'm deciding between a fender tele or an ibanez artcore

StaggHound
05-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Get the Telecaster.

Dude, like, seriously! Do it!

TGM
05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
What's with all this crap about a Tele not being versatile? Have you ever played a Tele?

Those are two completely different guitars. If you've "narrowed" your choice down to those two you don't know exactly what you want. Try them both out, they both have the good points and thier weaknesses and we can't tell you which will fit you better.

punkrocker_336
05-24-2006, 10:02 PM
get a gibson les paul thats what i want

ike123
05-24-2006, 10:54 PM
1st off, theres a huge difference in cost between a mexican tele and a reissue of any kind. Personally, I would reccommend a strat. They have a whammy bar (I dont use it, but for blues you very well might), they have a body contour, and theyre far more versatile. You might be into blues but if you get a country gig or a rock gig or even a jazz gig a strat could cut it, I doubt a tele could. The most important thing, though is comfort. You have to try both out and see which neck you like better, if the lack of a body contour on the tele bothers you.

maybe not that specific tele, but any tele can have a tremelo, some come w/ it, others do not, but look around for an extra $100 - $180 ish you could pick up a bigsby tremelo for a tele, ik cuz i was looking for a tele but i liked the idea of a whammy bar/tremelo, so check it out and make your decision based on that, also like any guitar, look to make sure you don't get any fret buzz

hope it helped

mr_hankey
05-25-2006, 07:54 AM
I was S-O-O-O disappointed when i tried out a USA Stratocaster--the tone was dull as ditchwater and it would NOT stay in tune---i tried it through a Marshall hoping to get a great SRV/Hendrix sound but i realised id need a shedload of effects to sound like that--this experience seriously put me off strats.

That's strange....I have no problems gettings those sounds, and I don't use any effects at all.

people always say the tele is limited but these are the type of people who expect to press a button or flick a switch and get the sound they want--You have to work for your sound people-The tele can do warm, slightly overdriven blues, it can do twangy country and western, it can do great rhythym parts and screaming lead lines--its not great for heavy metal, but id ont give a rats ass.

Exactly the same is true for strats.

I ended up buying the tele and ive never looked back, i can go for weeks without having to retune it, i can do two-tone bends without fearing the strings will go out of tune and i can really express myself more on it===i find it much more responsive to dynamics--which is where i found the strat fell flat on its ass--if i dig in with the pick on the tele, it really hammer the thing, or just sroke it lightly, it astonsishes me with its tonal and dynamic variations.

Again, this is exactly the same for strats.

meh!
05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
I'd get a Telecaster, just for the twang factor...telecasters twang factor>everything elses twang factor.

Yes, 'twang factor" is important to me.

"Twangggg"

Resiliance
05-25-2006, 04:26 PM
^Oh yes, twang is mmmm.

meh!
05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
^Oh yes, twang is mmmm.

:)

bigkingbud
05-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Teles can do blues just as well as a Strat, just have a listen to Albert Collins.

albert used a tele with a humbucker ,now thats an idea ,you can getta squier tele with a humbucker for like 250 bucks ,

tossom
05-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeh, I own a 1976 Tele Custom - got it for 750 second hand, far better than any of the new models (bar the 3 bolt neck).

The humbucker in the neck gives it a bit more range tonally, tune down with heavy strings and it'll do a passable Kyuss tone just as well as it does Albert Collins.

IrishBlues
05-25-2006, 08:24 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~slowhand.net/images/2004_0605_172704AA.jpg

Always liked that tele. Hollowbody :cheers:

TNfootballfan62
05-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Johnny Lang has the sexies tele ever.

To The Master Plan, when i try out guitars, i usually make sure they sound good and they feel good. You also wanna make sure there is no fret buzz anywhere. I know that's really unspecific, but i dont really look for exact things when trying out guitars. I just try to find something that's "right".

I really wish i had a tele. :(

If i ever get this strat built, im gonna build one. :D

IrishBlues
05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah if I had a American Deluxe Tele and a Gibson Blueshawk to go with my Strat I would be set for life.

When I got my strat I was at guitar center and I saw it on a stand on top of some Marshalls stacks and as soon as I picked it up it just felt right. Everything about it just felt perfect. I think thats one of the most important things in a guitar... like Im weird cuz I cant play any kind of neck besides rosewood and I need really heavy strings.

wil
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
That's strange....I have no problems gettings those sounds, and I don't use any effects at all.

Exactly the same is true for strats.

Again, this is exactly the same for strats.

well, obviously not---i went to the shop to buy a strat, but i was SOOOO disappointed.

tossom
05-26-2006, 05:36 PM
With any make of guitar you need to try a few before you find a good one - even with big brands such as Gibson and Fender.

When I was looking for teles, I tried 4 different 70's made Tele Customs - 3 were absolute dogs but looked good, one looked like **** but played amazingly.

The same is true with new guitars, I have a mate who went shopping for an SG recently and tried about 5 "identical" guitars but didn't like any of them!

Sprice
05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
get a strat witn an S1-switching system in it so you can use the brigde and neck pickup to sound like an Tele...

like what people say Strats can play anything...and the're sexy

meh!
05-26-2006, 08:33 PM
get a strat witn an S1-switching system in it so you can use the brigde and neck pickup to sound like an Tele...

like what people say Strats can play anything...and the're sexy

there still won't be the Twanngnngg!

...twang..he..he..he

The Master Plan
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
How much is 750 euro in dollars, and did you buy it used from a store or from a person?

Dan Steinman
06-04-2006, 04:30 AM
thick as hell strings... that is definitely a BIG part of SRV's guitar sound, but definitely do detune them, or your fingers will pay the price. i currently play 11's in standard tuning, but SRV used 13s in Eb. but 13's would still sound fine in D, and maybe 12s in Eb. by the way, make sure the strat you buy is a good one, they can be inconsistent. my piece of **** mexican strat is full of quirks. just make sure it has an american bridge, as they're heavier for more sustain and much more solidly constructed. it really makes a difference. i'm getting my bridge fixed and then i'm selling this monstrosity, ugh. (not to mention the neck is nowhere as nice as an american or highway one)

JohnnyLivesOn11
06-04-2006, 02:49 PM
^my mistake, then if you get a strat then you should definately put some texas special pickups on it

Definently get the texas specials! I got a strat for my birthday for one reason out of many, because I love blues guitar and SRV has been my hero since I was 5 years old. It sounds fair/ok w/o them ( I have 12s on it) but with the texas specials, it sounds a whole lot like SRV.

The Master Plan
06-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Right now I'm using 12's on my charvel. And when I buy the guitar I plan to put a Custom Lindy Fralin Blues Special harness from http://www.griblinengineering.com/custom_harnesses.htm. And I'm going to buy graphtech saddles and nut. Im gonna buy a two tone sunburst MIM standard or if I can find a cheap 50's MIM reissue. As long as it feels good and stays in tune when its stock, because I'm going to change the whole harness anyways.

Ferg
06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Well if your lookin' for SRV tone, there is no choice other than a strat.

One of the big reasons why I would say not to get a tele is, you can get close to his tone with one, but you need to get one with an alder body and a rosewood fretboard. Thats all well and good, except you loose that twang and country tone of the original teles with maple fretboards and ash bodies. To me, this is the main reason why I bought a tele in the first place.

To get SRV's EXACT tone is going to be nearly impossible because most of the time he played through an original blackface 1967 Super Reverb and towards the end of his career a tweed 1959 Bassman. He also had the chops of a god, played on 13's and detuned the Eb. You gotta ask yourself an important question: How long do I want my guitar to last? Tuning down and using such a heavy guage of strings can mess up your neck in a hurry, especially if your getting a mexican strat.

For me, it was worth it to have this set up, even if eventually i'm gunna have to spend a few hundred to re-neck and re-fret my favorite strat. But in the end, it's all up to you on what tone you want, and how flexible you want your guitar's tone to be. I use my SRV set up '62 most of the time, but it depends on the gig and how loud the venue owner wants it turned up (I've gotten in trouble for being too loud at bars and stuff).

So good luck man, I hope your guitar turns out to be everything you wanted, just make sure you research fully and know your stuff so you can get exactly what you want and not be wishing you had bought something else. :cool:

TWJ
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
get a telecaster!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_j8Jl4LAQjA&search=richie%20kotzen

slinks
06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
No no no, this is why you get a tele. :D

Roy Buchanan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Edjvh2I6Xs&search=roy%20buchanan)

But really, it depends on taste. The teles have that "twang" that you either like or you don't. You could always go for the Nashville Tele though, it has a middle pickup like a Strat in addition to the traditional Tele configuration.

Dirk Gently
06-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I'd get a Telecaster, just for the twang factor...telecasters twang factor>everything elses twang factor.

Yes, 'twang factor" is important to me.

"Twangggg"
I don't know...is the Telecaster's Twang Factor > Rickenbacker 360's Twang Factor? That's a tough one.

The Master Plan
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm getting a Two Tone Sunburst strat with a Rosewood Fretboard. What it'll be idk yet until I see how much money my job gets me. Most likely a 50's reissue Mim strat, but which ever one I get ,Im going to change the harness on the bad boy. Also I'm going for a meaty blues tone.

skydogzoso1986
06-06-2006, 03:25 AM
no biatch, you've got it all wrong, this is the reason why to get a tele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJtmme6Raag&search=rory%20gallagher

buchanan isn't bad either ;)

slinks
06-06-2006, 07:06 AM
no biatch, you've got it all wrong, this is the reason why to get a tele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJtmme6Raag&search=rory%20gallagher

buchanan isn't bad either ;)

Yeah, I'll go with you. I just never knew Rory to play a Tele. :confused:

skydogzoso1986
06-06-2006, 07:30 AM
actually he plays teles quite often too. probably because they are nice guitars and they have a beautiful twang

fronkpies
06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
He uses them for slide mostly.

skydogzoso1986
06-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm getting a Two Tone Sunburst strat with a Rosewood Fretboard. What it'll be idk yet until I see how much money my job gets me. Most likely a 50's reissue Mim strat, but which ever one I get ,Im going to change the harness on the bad boy. Also I'm going for a meaty blues tone.
well, this is a great choice man, i wish i had the money too, but well, i guess i'll save up to buy an american one. nothing beats sunburst strats

The Master Plan
06-06-2006, 06:01 PM
If I get the money Im going to get an American instead. Used or New its all good,

TehNez
06-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Tele all teh way.

The Master Plan
06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Can someone define twang, is it like the guitar you hear in country songs? Also what pickups are in Joe Bonamassa's Gigiliotti guitars?

VR2005
06-08-2006, 09:28 PM
True, the ES line are classic blues guitars, but people like SRV, Buddy Guy, and Robert Cray have helped to make the stratocaster a standard blues guitar, too.

EDIT: And if the only thing you have against fender is that you would "look like everyone else" then the upsides (for instance, tone) heavily outweigh the downsides.

EDIT II: To VR2005, you can, in fact, get Texas Specials in the US.

REALLLY late response but yeah i was being sarcastic so... you know the whole deal.

TNfootballfan62
06-08-2006, 10:22 PM
^^^Oh, okay. :cheers:

The Master Plan
06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
What color is John Mayer's sig strat? I know its a 3 tone sunburst, but it's a different shade of 3 tone. Because I went to my local guitar shop and saw the same color and pickguard, but it have active pickups. It felt good and all but I wanted one without active pups and without a Humbucker.

IrishBlues
06-11-2006, 04:39 PM
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/ikebe/img10291884773.jpeg

There used to be a sweet looking blue one with a stripe but they stopped making it.

TehNez
06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
They don't make the blue one anymore?

IrishBlues
06-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Its not on Musicians Friend anymore ... which sucks 'cuz that was an awesome paintjob.

The Master Plan
06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
They only made a certain number of them I belive. But I love how the pickguard looks on the 3 tone sunburst.

TNfootballfan62
06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm getting a tortoise shell pickguard on my sunburst strat as soon as my local music store gets them in. I love how that looks. I'm halfway considering gold hardware, too.

joshsirjoshules
06-11-2006, 06:19 PM

Same here. They're both good guitars for what you are doing. The Strat is basically that: A Strat. You get a Strat for the Strat sound, which is that high-mids bluesy tone. It's not nearly as versatile as the Tele however. Teles are good for anything. ANYTHING. So if you're going to be playing nothing but blues or jazz, get the Strat, it's perfect for that. But if you want that tone and more just so you can keep it fresh, get the Tele. I personally recommend the Tele. Take it from someone who has both and knows what he's talking about.

The Master Plan
06-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Im looking for a blues sounding one, because my other guitar can do metal pretty good.

The Master Plan
06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Do you think its worth the extra 70$ for the new 06' standard ($477 with taxes 3 tone sunburst). I'm thinking of getting it because it has the better tremelo block, but I was wondering how much a good tremelo block would cost and where'd I would be able to buy it. The same guitar but the 05' model is like $410.

The Master Plan
06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok this is what Im going to do , I'm going to first buy a MIM stock strat in 3 tone sunburst (I still dont know which year). Then Im going to swap out the harness for a Griblin Lindy Fralin Harness with the Push Pull volume pot so it can sound like a tele (with my second pay check). Then buy the little accersories such as the nut,saddles, string tree and tremelo block. But I still need to know what year of strat to get, because the local Fender store only has 1 06' and its in Electron blue and is a fat strat. They wont order an 06' standard 3 tone unless I buy it before hand. I could always just get an 05' strat but I wont know how it compares to the 06'.

TNfootballfan62
06-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't give the extra $70 just for a better tremolo block. It's not like the '05 tremolo is awful.

skydogzoso1986
06-13-2006, 02:34 AM
no, i wouldn't do that either, if i had a tremolo, i'd probably put it off = too useless

joshsirjoshules
06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't give the extra $70 just for a better tremolo block. It's not like the '05 tremolo is awful.

Yeah, they feel pretty similar.

Hairy Henry
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
have you got any sound clips of Tewas special pickups so that I could compare them too strats stock singlecoils

TNfootballfan62
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
^^^I don't have any soundclips, but it depends on which strat you mean. From my experience, they blow MIM pickups away.

The Master Plan
06-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Anyone know how to hagle down the price of a 05' Mim Strat?

TNfootballfan62
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Haggling has nothing to do with the item, and everything to do with the haggler. [/today's wisdom]

:p:

Sorry, maybe i could be helpful if i was good at haggling.

IrishBlues
06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I suck at haggling :(

The Master Plan
06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I mean what are good tips on haggling with the price of an item, Ive only haggled one thing before a $600 strat from that to $550, but I didnt have any money on me.

TNfootballfan62
06-13-2006, 10:44 PM
That would be a good starting place, act like you can't afford it at that price. Or if you can get a salesman really interested in selling you the guitar, sort of act like you dont want it or something like that.

IrishBlues
06-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Go on a day that there not real busy ... cuz if they are then there not gonna worry about making a sale cuz they will just find someone they can sell to

The Master Plan
06-13-2006, 11:16 PM
When I lowered it the retail was 1k, so I told him how much it was really worth $600, then said he should lower it because its not really in a new condition, the switch knob was off and there was a few scratches on it. I told him that it wasnt worth the sticker price and what the problems were in great detail, then he finally gave up and lowered it to $550. Then I told "Im not going to buy it, its not my type HSS with active Humbucker". But before I left I busted out some Licks on a Twin Reverb, after that I saw a family look at me and then point to the nearest squire, suprisingly they bought it, they told me it was becuase it sounded good when I played it, and the one I played wasn't a squire. All that with two metal heads in the background playing the dorian scale as fast as they could plugged into a couple of MG100's. I had to take an advil.

Sorry for how long it is.

Hairy Henry
06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
^^^I don't have any soundclips, but it depends on which strat you mean. From my experience, they blow MIM pickups away.
American fender strat

TNfootballfan62
06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
^^^The pickups in that guitar should be good. It comes down to preference. If you like the overdriven, vintage tone, Texas Specials would be perfect.

Fruscianteac
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
i mean.. its all in how u play i got a les paul but i can kick the volume way down on the neck humbucker and ****in turn down the tone control a lil bit and i can get a SRV style tone its really all in how u play and how well you know how to set up your rig

The Master Plan
06-16-2006, 09:20 PM
My local and only guitar store wont order any 2006 strats unless I buy it, so is a good idea to buy a 06' strat without actually trying it.

TNfootballfan62
06-16-2006, 09:25 PM
^^^I wouldn't buy any guitar without playing it. That said, the quality control on American strats is pretty good, so that wouldnt be a big risk, but MIM strats tend to be hit-and-miss sometimes.

The Master Plan
06-16-2006, 09:42 PM
With my job I can save up another 2 weeks and buy a MIA strat, but I wont be able to add the Lindy Fralin Custom Harness with the push pull pot. Also I might be able to convince my dad to take me to a big city to buy a guitar, since we only have 1 shop that sells strats. So I have to buy a good gift. lol

TNfootballfan62
06-16-2006, 09:51 PM
^^^That would be your best bet, lol.

EDIT: Buying your dad a great gift so he will take you to a nice store to buy a strat, that is.

RunRabbitRun
06-17-2006, 12:10 AM
american fender strat, thats what i got it's better then any tele i have played

The Master Plan
06-17-2006, 01:28 AM
Yea I made up my mind, if I find a cheap used USA strat at Guitar Center Im going to get it, other than that its going to be a New 06' 3 tone Rose wood MIM. Since I almost got my Dad to take the family to Corpus Christi next week.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
06-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Well, I have and play them both. I must say I prefer a Strat much over a Tele, but they both are amazing guitars and will work for anything.

The Master Plan
06-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Since you have an american strat, whats the differnce in feel to the MIM one?

The Master Plan
06-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok well now I'm having back thoughts. If I save up for 6 weeks Ill have enough for a 50's USA Reissue, which I think is a better deal because it'll go up in value over the years and because it has that excellent nitro cellous finish, but Ive never heard one. So I dont know, since no guitar shops close by have the 3 tone sunburst 06' not even the Guitar center in Corpus, I called them.

bluesbreaker59
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
spend the money and get a Fender Strat American Deluxe...i did and it's worth it 100%

The Master Plan
06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Ok, Im set on what Im doing now. Icalled my other local store which I thought was crap, and asked them if they had the 06' 3-tone rosewood strat, and they do for only $440. Hopefully they dont sell it before I get paid. So Im going to get that one since I think its woth the extra $0 for rosewood neck and all the upgrades, since the other store had the 05' but only in maple.

TNfootballfan62
06-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Sounds good. Enjoy. :cheers:

The Master Plan
06-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Thnks...Random question do you know how much they take off a paycheck as in Income taxes (if it helps I put 1 dependent)?

TNfootballfan62
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
I dont know exact figures, but if you a single white male teenager with no dependants, taxes rape you......expecially when you get overtime.

The Master Plan
06-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Damn I at least need to get $350 (I have $90 saved up) so I can buy the strat Because the strat is $440. So do you Ill get that if I get $7.95 an hour and work 60 hours, also I accidently put 1 dependant.
Also when people are getting paid commisions are the guitar prices set in stone or could I make them lower by saying not to include the gig bag because I already have a case??

TNfootballfan62
06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
^^^You should make well over $400. I make $7 an hour and i worked 63 hours one week. I ended up with just over $400 after taxes. The fake dependant will help, too, lol.

The IRS might rape you for lying about that, though, lol .

The Master Plan
06-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Lol, I thougt dependant ment that I payed for my needs like you know a strat etc... Thanks for the info. Btw as soon as I get my check Im putting on Taxman by SRV.

TNfootballfan62
06-21-2006, 10:07 PM
"'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
And you're working for no one but me"

That pretty much sums it up, lol.

The Master Plan
06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Yes it does my blues brother. Im going tommorow at 12 to the shop on my Moms lunch break and when I get off because I worked extra hours to get off early, Im going to pay for half of it then the owner is going to set it up to with stand the 12 gauge string set instead of the stock .09 so it'll take him 3 hours to get it just right. Then on Saturday Im going to pick it up, Ill post pics of it and sound clips, before I mod it.

TNfootballfan62
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
^^^Sounds great. I can't wait to see/hear it.

IrishBlues
06-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah congrats on the new guitar.

The Master Plan
06-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks Im going at 7 to pay for it and get it set up.

The Master Plan
06-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Also Im not going to be able to pay it in full due to previous debts (My dad bought me some work clothes, now I paid him $120). So Im going to put it on lay away with $370, so Ill beable to have it in two weeks as well as the new Custom Lindy Fralin Harness. Ill take my camera and take a picture or two.

The Master Plan
06-24-2006, 12:49 AM
At the store I tried it and loved the feel of it and liked the sound, Im gonna have the manager set it up with the 12's. Also if anyones seen these 06's do they have a little metal plate on the back of the headstock, that has a engraved diamond that says 60th anniversery on it, do all of them have it or is it just some?

TNfootballfan62
06-24-2006, 01:37 AM
^^^I would assume that's just the 60th anniversary guitar, but it may be all of them made this year.

fronkpies
06-24-2006, 05:34 AM
I think it is only the 60th anniversary. Congratulations on the guitar :cheers:

Ive just bought a MIA tele :D

The Master Plan
06-24-2006, 09:17 PM
:Cheers:Nice, I didnt get to try a tele out. Its probably all of them that have the plate this year, or maybe they sold me the wrong one, because its on the back of the headstock near the tip of the headstock, its a small metal plate showing the 60th anniversery sign. I dont get to have it home till 2 weeks, because I still owe ike $100 for it on lay-away (Damn my dad). It felt like a glove. The only bad thing was the guy setting up the amp for me, putting the deluxe on high gainish tone, and forgetting to wear deoderant......

TNfootballfan62
06-24-2006, 10:09 PM
^^^Screw the guy setting up the amp. If you're buying the guitar, you should adjust it how you like.

The Master Plan
06-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Exactly, I was waiting for him to move out of the way so I could put it in my settings. Took him a good 5 minutes to make sound out of wack. O well he was a Metal head.....He didnt know any better.

Mortigi Tempo
06-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I'd say telecaster just cause I think I nice looking telecaster looks better than any strat but thats just my opinion, really it doesnt matter too much more just about which you prefer

The Master Plan
06-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Yea the next guitar Im going to buy is gonna be a tele for that sparkleing clean tone, I got the strat because of the thick bluesy meaty tone I can get out of it.
And thats without me modding it with the Lindy Fralins and custom Harness.

joshsirjoshules
06-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I think that Teles can do blues better than the Strats can. That's coming from a guy who owns both.

fronkpies
06-25-2006, 02:54 PM
^ love the avatar ^

:D

The Master Plan
06-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I porbably perfer the strats over the teles since I've drolled over them for 6 years wanting to buy one. The first 3 years of playing I bought Fender brand name strings hoping to get to sound like a Strat, If I were to buy a tele I'd want a Humbucker on the neck and single on the bridge for a nice rhythm tone, in White with a Maple Fret board.

fronkpies
06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
I porbably perfer the strats over the teles since I've drolled over them for 6 years wanting to buy one. The first 3 years of playing I bought Fender brand name strings hoping to get to sound like a Strat, .

:haha i was the same.

I do love them both equally though, and i agree with the humbucker in the neck (a la keith richards)

I dont know if your the same but after buying the guitar i dont have enough for the pickup :haha

The Master Plan
06-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Yea me too Im going to have to wait 4 weeks to buy the Lindy Fralins.

The Master Plan
06-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Which wood is better for the tele ash or alder? Also when you bought your guitar did the MIM 06's have the plate on the back?

TNfootballfan62
06-25-2006, 07:46 PM
^^^I dont think one wood is better, its just preference. I love the look of ash, though. Transparent finishes look amazing on ash guitars.

Just_a_picker
06-25-2006, 07:54 PM
^ True but some woods have different tonal and resonance qualities. some woods give better sustain, and woods vary your warmth and brightness, too.

TNfootballfan62
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
^^^Yea, thats what i meant when i said its all about preference. It's not that one has better tone than another, its just that the tones are different.

IrishBlues
06-25-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0137402321_md.jpg

:D Gotta Love them.

Just_a_picker
06-25-2006, 08:00 PM
^^Yeah, i just like the sound of Alder a little better. small difference, but I just like it a little better.

The Master Plan
06-26-2006, 09:43 PM
The Semi Hollows look nice

TNfootballfan62
06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
When i finish building my strat, i wanna build a semi hollow tele. :D

The Master Plan
06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice, I'd love to get the one Jonny Lang has, and the Gigiloti Joe Bonamassa has.

IrishBlues
06-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Nice, I'd love to get the one Jonny Lang has, and the Gigiloti Joe Bonamassa has.

Yeah those are so nice

The Master Plan
06-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Ok now I have another question, has anyone tried the Lindy Fralin pups? Im trying to decide between the Blues Specials and the Vintage hots, both of them sound eargasmic.

zep123
06-30-2006, 03:36 PM
i have a strat which i love, i don't know too much about the tele (i've only played one for like 15 mins :( ) But if i'd get another guitar, i'd get a jazzmaster

Angusman60
06-30-2006, 04:49 PM
id go for a tele
i dont own either
but from playin i like the way a tele plays better

The Master Plan
06-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Well I already payed for more than enough for lay away, I get my strat next week. Now I need to decide between the Fralin Blues Special or Vintage Hot Pick-ups.

The Master Plan
07-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I picked up my strat today, it cost me a total of $470 ish for the guitar and pro set up
well here it is, its the sunburst one. Im going to be buying Lindy Fralins Vintage Hots for it, in two weeks. Im chaning the pick guard and covers to Parchment guard and aged white knobs etc...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/hendrixzepplin/P1010001.jpg

fronkpies
07-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Looking good :cheers:

Fralins :heart:

The Master Plan
07-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks.
Yea the Vintage Hots are supposed to be one of the best blues/vintage sounding pick-ups on the maket. Other pick-up recomendations are welcome. :cheers:

fronkpies
07-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks.
Yea the Vintage Hots are supposed to be one of the best blues/vintage sounding pick-ups on the maket. Other pick-up recomendations are welcome. :cheers:

Theres always bareknuckle, but there a bit pricey

jbassman4
07-08-2006, 01:40 PM
i love my strat, i couldnt be happier with any other guitar. teles are nice too but there are just some things on my strat that i couldnt live without, like the tremelo and the variety that strats have. they are the most versatle guitar out there, so they're pretty much good for any type of music. id go with the strat but thats just my preference.

:no:

hmm... why do you think everyone else has a Fender. because they are the best guitars out there and are still affordable. do you think people like hendrix, srv, and clapton only played fenders because everyone else did? no its because they are the best guitars there are.

IrishBlues
07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey looks sweet. Good choice. :cheers:

The Master Plan
07-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Its feels really good, but the tone is a lil' dull, but as TNfootballfan62 told me, the new pups will fix that.

The Master Plan
07-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Now I have a new problem, Im going to buy the harness but the only store that does installing them wants to charge me 105 to install a Pick-up harness, but the pick-up harness already has the pick-ups wired to the pots etc. The only thing not connected is the wires to the input jack and the grounding, how much do you think they shouyld charge.

TNfootballfan62
07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
^^^Screw them, do it yourself. It's probably less than 30 minutes of work from start to finish. Just practice soldering for a few minutes on some spare wire or something. Or you could get a more experienced relative or friend help you. Regardless, that's a ripoff, and its a job that could quickly and easily be done for free.

The Master Plan
07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
What exactly would I have to do? Would I have to take off all the strings, and block the tremelo so it wont screw with my setup, I dont own a good soldering iron or desoldering braids.

TNfootballfan62
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
You may consider going out and buying a soldering iron or something, then. They aren't that expensive, and are a must have for someone who works on their own guitar.

But yea, take off the strings, desolder the input jack and ground, take off the pickguard, pop the new one in, screw it down, and solder the necesarry wires.

Blocking the tremolo isnt necesarry, to my knowledge. I've never blocked it before while working on my guitar and i haven't seen any negative effects.

The Master Plan
07-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Well today, I talked to the technicion instead of the jackass cashier, and he said he'll do it for $25. Now I have a new problem my dad wont let me buy the pick-ups, because Im not a professional, even though when I started working I told him if I could buy a American 62' reissue and keep it stock, or buy the MIM and fix it up, he said yes to the MIM now he's going back on his words, and its my money I got from work. Any tips on convincing him. Also would the rechargable visa cards they sell at the Wal-Marks work on buying stuff online?

guitarhero?
07-13-2006, 02:36 AM
either way you will have a great guitar, personally I prefer Tele's
they have a bit of a crisper thinner sound with a bit more treble and punch
Strat's also have this but the tone I find is a bit more round and deeper

The Master Plan
07-13-2006, 08:34 PM
My next guitar purchase is going to be a MIA deluxe Telecaster (next Summer) Butterscoth with a black pickguard...mmmm.

Alex S.
07-17-2006, 07:44 AM
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know

Dude I bought mine at Guitar Center in Feb. so they must have em in the US

TNfootballfan62
07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
^^^Yea, that was discussed and determined some time ago. :cheers:

The Master Plan
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Ishould be getting the Fralin Harness in about 2 or 4 weeks roughly, so I will review them. But in the mean time Im getting a Teese Picture Wah in a week so that'll be keeping my attention for a while.
Thanks for all the replys, and I mean all the replys. This is one of the most viewed thread on the blues forum. :cheers:

Pride_And_Joy
07-20-2006, 09:09 AM
you just have to go to musicians friend's site and buy the SRV signature strat. that baby has such great tone. its the closest any fender has come to recreating his tone.

The Master Plan
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Im not really looking for the SRV tone, just for like his rhythm tone, and one with good jazz and blues standard type of tone. Which Ive found, thanks for the suggestion.

The Master Plan
08-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Ok I havent updated this, I got my guitar and installed a Fralin Blues Special Harness in it, I have a clip up on my myspace using it, http://www.myspace.com/jamminallnight its titled "This Ones For You" The Bass sounding thing in the background is the guitar as well, you can compare that with my Lenny tone.
Thanks for all the help.

srv665
09-01-2006, 11:31 PM
^ Hey i gotta hand it to you, i checked out your songs on myspace, and on your Lenny cover you really got that tone spot on. I got a Hot Rod Deluxe, which is very similar to a blues jr. Out of curiosity, what settings did you have?

The Master Plan
09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
The lenny was using my old charvel guitar with stock pick-ups (The guitar is like 20 yrs old and have the magnets are aged), this version wasnt with my new stuff.
My settings are always like this.
Bass:6
Treble:8
Reverb:3
Mids:11 (On that one) now its on 6 because of the output of the Fralins
Master on 8
Volume on 3

That shold be it.
Thanks for checking it out man.

muse-ic
09-08-2006, 05:23 PM
can have your opnion about choosing a strat or a tele,(i play mostly muse ,radiohead and arctic monkeys)

srvman
09-08-2006, 05:43 PM
if its srv tone would it not be a 70s reissue?

The Master Plan
09-08-2006, 08:36 PM
The old guitar im talking about is a 80's Charvel, not a reissue of any kind.
Muse try a nice high end Deluxe tele.

The Master Plan
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey I finished aging the parts on my strat so here's an updated picture with new pick-ups, Im getting a parchment or mint green pickguard on Wednesday so Ill post a pic after changing pickguards.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/hendrixzepplin/P1010022.jpg

IrishBlues
09-10-2006, 04:54 PM
That is sweet looking. I plan on buying the same pickguard. And how did you age it?

The Master Plan
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Yea, I aged the knobs and pup covers by leaving them in coffee for 10-12 hours, do this before you go to school stael your Mom's coffee and put your knobs in there, and when you get back you'll just wait 2 hours and it'll be done.
Ive decided on getting a mint green guard.

Thanks

The Master Plan
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I put up a new version of Lenny on my myspace using the new pups.
http://www.myspace.com/jamminallnight
Just did it a few minutes ago, improvised.
Hope y'all enjoy.

IrishBlues
09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I put up a new version of Lenny on my myspace using the new pups.
http://www.myspace.com/jamminallnight
Just did it a few minutes ago, improvised.
Hope y'all enjoy.

Really awesome love the tone. And I also like that first song you have on there.

And I might do that to my guitar as soon as I get a new mint green pickguard. Nothin sweeter than an aged Sunburst strat. :cool:

The Master Plan
09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks Irish, yea nothing is better than a aged strat, well maybe a really aged strat like Rory's strat, to do that play for 30 years and sweat your heart off onto the guitar.
Mint green goes perfect with aged knobs, Im thinking of also buying a gold jack.

IrishBlues
09-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Rorys Guitar is godly.

Yeah I was considering a gold jack but then I would want a gold bridge and tuners as well. I might do it eventually but I need to save up some more money. Im trying to get a new Fender tube amp.

The Master Plan
09-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Yea true Id have to buy the whole set, well Ill just get new saddles, some graphtechs. What amp are you getting, this Summer I hope to save up to buy either a Fender Deluxe Reverb or a used Bassman amp.

IrishBlues
09-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Theres a guitar store near me selling a Hot Rod Deville for $500 so Im trying to save up before they sell it. If not Ill probably get a Blues Deluxe.

The Bassman and the Deluxe Reverb are incredible. I was playing the SRV strat out of the Bassman and I played a Gibson ES-335 out of the Deluxe Reverb. It was blues heaven.

The Master Plan
09-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Yea those are all superb amps, a Bassman head thru a Leslie Cabinent...mmmm

TNfootballfan62
09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Those two amps and maybe a vibrolux reissue are my dream amps.

The Master Plan
09-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Yea a early Vibrolux with a 59' strat or a Eric Johnson strat all I would need but not all I would want,

IrishBlues
09-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Im not very picky. '62 Sunburst strat, '59 Fender Bassman, and an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808. Im not big on effects.

TNfootballfan62
09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
^^I'm the same way. All i need is a strat, an amp, maybe an overdrive pedal (if i dont have a good overdrive channel), and sometimes a wah pedal.

The Master Plan
09-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Tn cant forget heart, heat and soul as well. All thats required is there in your heart and Soul.

TNfootballfan62
09-13-2006, 11:17 PM
^^You're right, but that is with me no matter what equipment im playing through. I was speaking in terms of equipment i prefer playing through. ;)

The Master Plan
09-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I just added my version of the Sky is cryin' its not totally a cover, its just the lyrics, I changed stuff a bit to make it more of my own, also my voice isnt up to par. Theres also a song I put called Good Ol' Train Blues, which I got inspired by today, if you know whats going on with one girl then you'll under stand the song, I posted it on the relation ship thread. You may have to turn down your speakers a bit, I cranked the amp so some parts came out a bit too loud, but hey its better to be loud than not to be heard right?

www.myspace.com/jamminallnight

teletruth
10-08-2008, 02:16 AM
A strat is to a tele as a Rav-4 is to an army jeep. Strats, in other words, are just telecasters with training wheels. Could you imagine Robert Johnson or Wes Montgomery with a f...... whammy bar? Get serious. Get the Tele. Lose the crap and learn to pick.

Carswell98
10-08-2008, 03:22 AM
^ lol

I love them both, i started on a tele but Strat's have my vote, they have a much wider spectrum of sounds

I'd say if a tele is a jeep, a Strat is a land rover, a little softer around the edges, and far more versatile

imgooley
10-08-2008, 04:07 AM
**** em both, and **** this 2 year old thread.

Give me a Sheraton.

aetherspear
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
**** this thread and **** whoever revived it. I'm gonna go play my ES-335 with super fat flatwound strings.

well its really a epi Dot, but you get the point.

imgooley
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
**** this thread and **** whoever revived it. I'm gonna go play my ES-335 with super fat flatwound strings.

well its really a epi Dot, but you get the point.
Flatwounds are win. I had to change them though, because I only have 2 axes. I need another archtop that I can throw teh flats on and play only jazz on.

j_hunter_hkr
10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I got this a couple of days ago. Best of both worlds.

http://www.jamiehunter.co.uk/ST-75.jpg