Devil / Crossroad / Blues

PDA

View Full Version : Devil / Crossroad / Blues

B.B
05-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Im just looking up on the classic robert johnson rumour (the one where he

supposedly sold his soul to the devil).

The most widely known legend surrounding Robert Johnson says that he sold his soul to the Devil at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 61 and U.S. Highway 49 in Clarksdale, Mississippi in exchange for prowess in playing the guitar.//The story goes that if one would go to the crossroads a little before midnight and begin to play the guitar, a large black man would come up to the aspiring guitarist, retune his guitar and then hand it back. - Wikipedia

Has anyone ever heard any thing other than that to add to it?
Has anyone ever given it a try? (going to a crossroad at midnight that is)

Just Interested - would love to hear what other people think

jayzim17
05-12-2006, 02:36 PM
There is a book called Take A Walk On The Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends and Curses by R. Gary Patterson. The title is pretty much selk explanitory and it covers pretty much everything about Robert Johnson, The Club, The Occult and Rock and Roll. Go pick it up you won't be disappointed.

jimmyjimjim
05-12-2006, 04:35 PM
i've heard that if you do make a deal you die at age 27 or a premature death.
notable performers who died at age 27 include Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and(please forgive me) Kurt Cobain

.I.T.
05-12-2006, 05:00 PM
actually going to do it tonight, I don't expect a thing to happen though.

TheHeartbreaker
05-12-2006, 05:16 PM
^^I'm not sure if you're joking or not, lol.

I don't believe in God, Satan, etc. so I don't really care. It's a cool myth, but I don't believe it.

The Master Plan
05-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I heard Clapton did it as well, but instead of diening at 27 he gave up his son's life.

Johnsonville
05-12-2006, 06:39 PM
The BLack man's name is Scratch (Devil)

TNfootballfan62
05-12-2006, 11:16 PM
That's an interesting story, though i dont really believe it.

ufossuck
05-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, bring your guitars down to the crossroads and see, if you're so skeptical.

.I.T.
05-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Yep, most definately just got back in from playing "Superstition" in the middle of a crossroads at midnight. Nothing happened, some cars went by and honked. Thats about it.

TNfootballfan62
05-13-2006, 01:07 AM
^^^Haha! :cheers:

pistols
05-13-2006, 04:13 AM
I read on the internet about a theory that the actual site is "where the southern crosses the dawg" (or the yellow dog railway line)

I am also very into the legend. I'm planning to go to the U.S in a couple of years, and that will be one of the sites I will visit.

You can't be sure of the 61 / 49 myth though, because there are 2 points where those highways cross over.

And they also think it was likely that he did it (if he did) at the oldest cemetary in mississipi. It is said that you can sell your soul to the devil at the oldest cemetary in town.

According to a legend (a bit hazy on this, but you'll get it) the blues was invented when a man stayed at a railway station one night. He wanted to catch the late train, but he fell asleep. When he woke up, he heard a man playing a strange, deep music, using a glass bottle as a slide. The music was blues and the man was satan.

Theres also another bit that says that if you stay at a railway crossroads, when the 3:00 train passes, the devil will retune your guitar and take your soul.

IrishBlues
05-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Wasnt the guy at the station that heard the man playing W.C. Handy.

tossom
05-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I heard Clapton did it as well, but instead of diening at 27 he gave up his son's life.

That and his career died... "Wonderful tonight", eech:puke:

ufossuck
05-13-2006, 06:32 PM
That and his career died... "Wonderful tonight", eech:puke:
I love that song. And why no mention of Brian Jones?

FunkedUp
05-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Or, in fact, Robert Johnson, to state the obvious?

Bo Diddley's 'Story of Bo Diddley' is also about the myth.

B.B
05-14-2006, 01:24 PM
bo diddley

^^^ is that book or film?

FunkedUp
05-15-2006, 11:36 AM
It's a song in which he sings about how he became famous

mrbreeze
05-15-2006, 01:47 PM
"Theres also another bit that says that if you stay at a railway crossroads, when the 3:00 train passes, the devil will retune your guitar and take your soul.
^^^ a.m. or p.m.?^^

"Rent the movie crossroads. Really good guitar duel at the end with Steve Vai and Ry Cooder."
^^I thought it was Ralph Macchio^^

fenderfreak101
05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
"Theres also another bit that says that if you stay at a railway crossroads, when the 3:00 train passes, the devil will retune your guitar and take your soul.
^^^ a.m. or p.m.?^^

"Rent the movie crossroads. Really good guitar duel at the end with Steve Vai and Ry Cooder."
^^I thought it was Ralph Macchio^^

Ry Cooder plays Eugene's part in it.

mrbreeze
05-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Ry Cooder plays Eugene's part in it.

You mean Lightnin' Boy was really Ry Cooder? Who'd a thunk it? Just don't tell me that Lisa Kudrow/Phoebe is reall Susan Tedeschi - I'll be crushed :D

Derigiberble
05-16-2006, 09:54 AM
I thought Hendrix was 28 when he died?

fenderfreak101
05-16-2006, 08:42 PM
You mean Lightnin' Boy was really Ry Cooder? Who'd a thunk it? Just don't tell me that Lisa Kudrow/Phoebe is reall Susan Tedeschi - I'll be crushed :D

Actually, in the end of the Karate Kid, Mr. Miyagi teaches him how to shred a blues scale at a secluded buddhist temple.

Its in the director's cut, only available at the Wal-Mart by my house. ;)

fenderfreak101
05-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I thought Hendrix was 28 when he died?

Date of Birth: November 27, 1942
Date of Death: September 18, 1970

he was 27, about 2 months from being 28.

ze monsta
02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Robert Johnson told Son House this, I believe:

He told him he went down to an interstate(I think) crossroads, to meet a big black man (the devil) and he was going to do him a deal.
Apparently, Johnson dropped to his knees as he heard "You're late, Robert Leroy Johnson", he replies "Maybe not". The man was apparently sitting by the side of the road in a chair. :confused:
The Devil tells Robert, that he's just another blues man, never gonna be nothin, and a dog in a ditch barks making the strings of his guitar vibrate or sommit, and R.Johnson like that sound, he know the dog is a hellhound, and tells him "I buy yo dog"
The devil says "The dog is not for sale Robert, but that sound, the sound of the Delta Blues can be yours, Mr Johnson."
The Devil would have possesion of Johnson's life, and when he died, how he died etc etc. and Johnson would be able to play the blues like no other.

"I got to have that sound, Devil-Man. That sound is mine. Where do I sign?"

The man says, "You ain't got a pencil, Robert Johnson. Your word is good enough. All you got to do is keep walking north. But you better be prepared. There are consequences."

"Prepared for what, Devil-man?"

"You know where you are, Robert Johnson? You are standing in the middle of the crossroads. At midnight, that full moon is right over your head. You take one more step, you'll be in Rosedale. You take this road to the east, you'll get back over to Highway 61 in Cleveland, or you can turn around and go back down to Beulah or just go to the west and sit up on the levee and look at the River. But if you take one more step in the direction you're headed, you going to be in Rosedale at midnight under this full October moon, and you are going to have the Blues like never known to this world. My left hand will be forever wrapped around your soul, and your music will possess all who hear it. That's what's going to happen. That's what you better be prepared for. Your soul will belong to me. This is not just any crossroads. I put this "X" here for a reason, and I been waiting on you."

Robert Johnson rolls his head around, his eyes upwards in their sockets to stare at the blinding light of the moon which has now completely filled tie pitch-black Delta night, piercing his right eye like a bolt of lightning as the midnight hour hits. He looks the big man squarely in the eyes and says, "Step back, Devil-Man, I'm going to Rosedale. I am the Blues."

The man moves to one side and says, "Go on, Robert Johnson. You the King of the Delta Blues. Go on home to Rosedale. And when you get on up in town, you get you a plate of hot tamales because you going to be needing something on your stomach where you're headed."

I posted that i n another thread, thats what I believe.

ECwomantoneman
02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
That is awesome :eek:

I'd love to go to the US, to go to all these places that I know by name only...that'd be amazing :p:

Blind In 1 Ear
02-09-2008, 02:12 PM
^^I'm not sure if you're joking or not, lol.

I don't believe in God, Satan, etc. so I don't really care. It's a cool myth, but I don't believe it.
yea im atheist so i dont believe any truth is behind this story. ive read that it was a rumor started because he went went away as a bad guitar player and came back later on much better. so people said he must have sold his soul to be that good.

Blind In 1 Ear
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
thats an terrible thing to say.

ze monsta
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
thats an terrible thing to say.

+1
The idea that someone would give away the life of a child, their own child is pretty disturbed.

JimmyStradlin33
02-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I think it's such a great story but i heard he only started it to achieve fame/notoriety.

gopherthegreat
02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
i dont believe that myth, but i think its really cool

Dimebag22
02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
i dont believe that myth, but i think its really cool
Yeah, same here. I think that it is a really cool story, but fake. :) But it is pretty awesome.

gopherthegreat
02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
keep that shit to yourself. thats sick.

GD_GC
02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
This is one of those stories you really want to belive, but everything tells you that you shouldn't. I think its a freaking awesome story, whether or not he made it up.

samn726
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
What happens when he needs new strings?

dr_john
11-29-2010, 06:32 PM

that is pretty sick, plus it didn't really work did it?

TNfootballfan62
11-29-2010, 06:59 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks Clapton to be as good or influential or whatever as RJ, so no, I'd say it didn't. :haha