Crossroads (the movie)

PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads (the movie)

pipnewkirk
05-12-2006, 11:31 PM
and i'm not talking about that piece of shyte with britney spears.

has anyone else seen this movie? if you like blues and you never have seen it, make a trip to blockbuster and thank me later. best music-related movie i've ever seen. it's about a kid who breaks an old blues harp player out of jail and hobos down to mississippi in search of robert johnson's 30th lost song. he gets involved in the bluesman's deal with the devil and faces off against steve vai in a guitar battle for their souls.

anyway, on to my question: ry cooder does the music for the movie (with steve vai at the climax guitar duel), and i LOVE it. it's just slow, dirty, instrumental blues. lots of delta slide feel to it, with some harmonica at times. what other artists have put out some good recordings like this? cooder is an amazing musician, but doesn't play just blues, and a lot of his stuff is honestly pretty weird. in a good way, but not what i'm looking for. does anyone know of some artists that might have inspired his work for the soundtrack? (other than the obvious robert johnson) i'd reaaly appreciate any recommendations here.

FunkedUp
05-14-2006, 09:39 AM
If you're looking for Delta slide, listen to Blind Willie Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson. Also for a modern sound that's probably more similar to Cooder, check out the John Butler Trio's most recent album

INDUSTRIALMETAL
05-14-2006, 12:29 PM
That movie is actually kinda crappy, the acting is pretty horrid. The guitar playing is decent, and if you are looking for similar Slide blues check out Elmore James as well as the above mentioned artists.

frying nemo08
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
yea some guy in a videogame store was telling me about it, but he said that it was like rare and harder to come across, so idk i havent seen it but i have heard of it

fenderfreak101
05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Its a good movie, although Ralph Maccio and blues? its an odd combo.

pipnewkirk
05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Its a good movie, although Ralph Maccio and blues? its an odd combo.
yeah, i wish someone would do a remake and cast someone who's not so much of a douche and who can actually play guitar. (although i'll give the karate kid credit, he does a decent job faking it) maybe have johnny lang or derek trucks as eugene and morgan freeman as willie, but you've gotta keep steve vai... :D

thanks for the recommendations everyone! keep 'em coming

fenderfreak101
05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
yeah, i wish someone would do a remake and cast someone who's not so much of a douche and who can actually play guitar. (although i'll give the karate kid credit, he does a decent job faking it) maybe have johnny lang or derek trucks as eugene and morgan freeman as willie, but you've gotta keep steve vai... :D

thanks for the recommendations everyone! keep 'em coming

Pshh.... Derek Trucks can't play guitar to save his life...

/extreme sarcasm :p:

meh!
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
You can download the guitar battle at the end of you tube i believe!

it's not blues..but, you can if you want.

Marx Rove
05-19-2006, 07:19 PM
"Where I come from if ya don' play no harp ya don' get no pussay."

~AdNy
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Pshh.... Derek Trucks can't play guitar to save his life...

/extreme sarcasm :p:
yeah, but can you see trucks acting? form what ive heard, hes extremely shy. but ive also heard hes very open and relaxed. weird...

anyway, no i havent seen the movie, but ive been looking for it everywhere. from what ive heard from the duels, the kid sounds almost like SRV on a slide :confused: