Derek Trucks

PDA

View Full Version : Derek Trucks

beatallica_fan
05-13-2006, 09:41 AM
So i went to see Clapton last night, great concert. he had Derek trucks with him in his band. he was absolutley amazing and completely blew me away with hi slide playing. if you get chance check out some of his music, or better still go see the man live. On the other hand Mr 'i play my strat strung backward' Doyle Bramhall i think, is cack IMO. More Derek less Doyle, more Derek, less Doyle please Mr Clapton.

Kurt_Morrelo
05-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree!
I saw an article on trucks in my gutiar world and checked hm out, hes amazing, blew me away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F91WDdcARQ0&search=derek%20trucks

Check that out.

TNfootballfan62
05-13-2006, 11:29 AM
What i wouldnt give to go see one of those shows.

rx_eb
05-13-2006, 12:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=URQxG6Qt_6Y&search=Derek%20Trucks

this is the best one on you tube

Calum_Barrow
05-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I went to see Clapton on Tuesday, and he was fantastic. I like Doyle, and I like Derek too, I thought they were both fantastic. Derek's playing struck me more than Doyle's though, what with his slide playing, though I thought myself that he used his slide too much, but that's just me.

VR2005
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I saw him back in April and was completly blown away by his playing. Next hero of Blues guitar anyone?

ToBeAGooner
05-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Derek Trucks is amazing. No effects, just guitar into amp magnificence.

The Master Plan
05-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Yea, does anyone know if he's going to tour in texas?

AICriff008
05-14-2006, 01:54 AM
I saw Trucks last summer, and I mean, wow...indescribabely good player. I'm telling you, this kids like the next Duane/Clapton/Page (insert great blues-rock player) and more. You should see some videos online of him when he was like 13...just makes my jaw drop.

His new Songlines album is really, really, really well...I dont know...AWESOME. Best word I can use to describe it, but yah, check it out for sure if your getting into Trucks. His Soul Serenades album is deeply moving too if your into his more jazz-influenced instrumental style.

TheHeartbreaker
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I saw Trucks with The Allman Brothers Band, and it was amazing.

Seeing him with Clapton... words probably couldn't explain that.

Yeah, and rx_eb... cheers to you my friend. :cheers:

psychodelia
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Derek Trucks is amazing. No effects, just guitar into amp magnificence.

Speaking of which, does anyone know off-hand what he uses? He's got such a distinctive sound, but it seems to me it comes from his playing more than equipment.

AICriff008
05-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Directly from Trucks on his website:

Gibson SG custom 1962 reissue
-signatures on both guitars include Otis Rush, Elvin Jones, Bobby Bland, Bob Dylan, John Lee Hooker, BB King, Family Man Barrett, Aubrey Ghen, Chuck Campbell, Bob Margolin, Hubert Sumlin, & Walter Wolfeman Washington (although many have worn off thru gigging)
-Strings - DR .11 - .46
-Guitar tuned to open E always
-No pick, pedals, or effects
-Glass Coricidin Botte for slide (vintage if possible but Dunlop Blues Bottle slide for backup)
-Amp - 1965 Fender Super Reverb (same amp on stage with DTB for 15 years)
Everything pretty much standard on the amp but the speakers are cheap Pile Driver speakers that break up nicely

TheHeartbreaker
05-16-2006, 09:22 PM
^^I admire Derek so much that I'll probably go and buy everything he's got...

And get those signatures too... somehow. :confused:

fronkpies
05-17-2006, 09:39 AM
I was at the manchester gig last tuesday, i thought his new album stuff he did was quite bad. I dont think you would have noticed if eric clapton walked off half way through.

Derek was great, he makes that guitar scream :D

meh!
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I had not heard him till he was on this radio program.

He was doing By you Chevrlet(not as good as robben fords version..obviosuly :P)

I love his guitar and voice

*re-typed* as i wrote it when i was tired and it was a bit ****ed

rx_eb
05-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah, and rx_eb... cheers to you my friend. :cheers:

:cheers:

he was the true child prodigy

*coughs*snakedawg and other fags*coughs*
:rolleyes:

Derigiberble
05-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I have a recording of him doing Layla

Maybe i should post it....

I hate effort.

TNfootballfan62
05-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Another random fact that makes me love derek trucks: He's an Atlanta Braves fan. Go Braves!

VR2005
05-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Another random fact that makes me love derek trucks: He's an Atlanta Braves fan. Go Braves!

Yeah i've seem a couple pics of him with an atlanta braves hat on.

redwing_suck
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
So i went to see Clapton last night, great concert. he had Derek trucks with him in his band. he was absolutley amazing and completely blew me away with hi slide playing. if you get chance check out some of his music, or better still go see the man live. On the other hand Mr 'i play my strat strung backward' Doyle Bramhall i think, is cack IMO. More Derek less Doyle, more Derek, less Doyle please Mr Clapton.
OMFG beat you saw that show?!?!?! I hate you for it... :peace:

I've been looking forward to this tour for ****ing ever!

He's something else when he plays with the Allman Brothers and his own band (The Derek Trucks Band, duh). Give him a chance to jam and he goes off.

Beat, I think you'd enjoy "Derek Trucks Band Live At Georgia Theatre." I think it's an online-only CD, I got it off of the iTunes Music Store. Lots of GREAT music on there --- he spans the distance from the middle eastern-influenced "Ka-ma-lay" and "Sahib Teri Bandi - Maki Madni" (15 min long, good stuff) to straight up blues in "Leaving Trunk" (some of the most impressive blues slide work I've ever heard, I'm not lying!) and "Feel So Bad" (actually a cover of elvis).

Plus they do an 11-minute "Joyful Noise" on there as well, probably my fav Derek Trucks Band song ever.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAW THAT CONCERT BEAT!

red:cheers:

AICriff008
05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I had not heard him till he was on this radio program.

He was doing By you Chevrlet(not as good as robben fords version..obviosuly :P)

I love his guitar and voice

*re-typed* as i wrote it when i was tired and it was a bit ****ed

actually it isn't Trucks singing, it's Mike Mattison (lead vocals for his group)

:peace:

meh!
05-21-2006, 04:54 AM
actually it isn't Trucks singing, it's Mike Mattison (lead vocals for his group)

:peace:

was it? ah well as i say, i'd neve rheard him till now.

Well then I love his guitar playing and his singers singing!

beatallica_fan
05-21-2006, 07:30 AM
OMFG beat you saw that show?!?!?! I hate you for it... :peace:

I've been looking forward to this tour for ****ing ever!

He's something else when he plays with the Allman Brothers and his own band (The Derek Trucks Band, duh). Give him a chance to jam and he goes off.

Beat, I think you'd enjoy "Derek Trucks Band Live At Georgia Theatre." I think it's an online-only CD, I got it off of the iTunes Music Store. Lots of GREAT music on there --- he spans the distance from the middle eastern-influenced "Ka-ma-lay" and "Sahib Teri Bandi - Maki Madni" (15 min long, good stuff) to straight up blues in "Leaving Trunk" (some of the most impressive blues slide work I've ever heard, I'm not lying!) and "Feel So Bad" (actually a cover of elvis).

Plus they do an 11-minute "Joyful Noise" on there as well, probably my fav Derek Trucks Band song ever.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAW THAT CONCERT BEAT!

First of all, apologies for seeing the concert, ha ha ha. This will probably annoy you even more but i just remembered, i never mentioned but robert cray was supporting as well, and he was also sensational. I agree with above comments about new stuff, and he played wonderful tonight which is a bit lame, but when they played cocain, layla, after midnight and crossroads all was forgiven. I really want a derek trucks band CD, as soon as i got home i checked amazon but they dont seem to stock them, the search continues.

Jackolas
05-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I saw him in sheffield with Clapton also, awesome.

What was wrong with doyle? you n00bs. :D

TheHeartbreaker
05-21-2006, 10:27 AM
From what I've herad, Derek's a REALLY shy guy. I think Butch (his uncle), once said that he used to turn away from the crowds (similar to Jim Morrison at first) while he was performing.

Obviously he overcame that, but he doesn't seem like one who says much with his voice - he says stuff with his music.

psychodelia
05-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I really want a derek trucks band CD, as soon as i got home i checked amazon but they dont seem to stock them, the search continues.

You just want a Derek Trucks Band cd? I dunno if this is what you're looking for.... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-2575272-3444827?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=music&field-keywords=derek%20trucks%20band

redwing_suck
05-21-2006, 01:04 PM
First of all, apologies for seeing the concert, ha ha ha. This will probably annoy you even more but i just remembered, i never mentioned but robert cray was supporting as well, and he was also sensational. I agree with above comments about new stuff, and he played wonderful tonight which is a bit lame, but when they played cocain, layla, after midnight and crossroads all was forgiven. I really want a derek trucks band CD, as soon as i got home i checked amazon but they dont seem to stock them, the search continues.
Hm yeah, you're making me mad, beat... :D :peace:

When I saw Clapton last year, he had douchebag-Doyle with him (I hate his style. I could care less if he strings his strat backwards, I just think he plays like a ****ing retard up there) and Robert Randolph opened (then appeared in the "Sunshine of Your Love" encore). Cray was there for about 2 songs... *cries*

Here's my opinion on each of his albums:
1.) "The Derek Trucks Band": Recorded in 1996, so he's like 17 in this one. Absolutely amazing considering that... lots of blues-jam songs, and interesting covers of Miles Davis' "Footprints" and "So What."
2.) "Joyful Noise": Lots of guest artists on this one... title track is my favorite.
3.) "Soul Serenade": Very exotic--ranges from jazz ("Bock to Bock") to reggae jam (title track) to anything else ("Naima," "Oriental Folk" something).
4.) "Out of the Madness": Haven't bought it yet.
5.) "Songlines": Released this year. First full album with Mike Mattison on vocals--much more directed towards a general audience, but he still rips some songs to shreds. Good stuff.
6.) "Live At Georgia Theatre": My favorite, by far.

Also, check out his stuff on the Allman Brother's "Hittin' the Note" album from 2003, his debut album with them. The opening track, "Firing Line," features the great Warren Haynes playing the main riff and a slide solo (his style is much more along the lines of Duane Allman) and an outro solo by Trucks sans slide... he's got some great fingers. "Desdemona" is classic in that I think it echoes what the Allman Brothers always used to be about. Trucks' solo in the jam section is priceless. "Instrumental Illness" is great as well; although in this one I think Haynes is superior to Trucks in terms of phrasing.

That ought to get you started...

hardrock1315
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Saw him with the Allman Brothers. Him and Warren Haynes were both great, although it got tiresome after a while, cause I don't think there was a song under 7 minutes.

TheHeartbreaker
05-21-2006, 01:51 PM
also, check out his stuff on the Allman Brother's "Hittin' the Note" album from 2003, his debut album with them. The opening track, "Firing Line," features the great Warren Haynes playing the main riff and a slide solo (his style is much more along the lines of Duane Allman) and an outro solo by Trucks sans slide... he's got some great fingers. "Desdemona" is classic in that I think it echoes what the Allman Brothers always used to be about. Trucks' solo in the jam section is priceless. "Instrumental Illness" is great as well; although in this one I think Haynes is superior to Trucks in terms of phrasing.

Hittin' the Note is an awesome, awesome album. :cheers:

StratRat13
05-21-2006, 05:22 PM
He's just simply amazing, and yeh it's cool seein clips of him ripping on slide at 13.

Edit: Wow haven't posted here for like 2 months :(

TheHeartbreaker
05-21-2006, 06:53 PM
^^Damn, two MONTHS?

Wow. I'll probably commited suicide if I'm ever not on UG for two DAYS.

Derigiberble
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Derek Trucks & Eric Gales - Layla (http://rapidshare.de/files/21111283/Derek_Trucks___Eric_Gales_-_Layla.mp3.html)

:)

beatallica_fan
05-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Hm yeah, you're making me mad, beat... :D :peace:

When I saw Clapton last year, he had douchebag-Doyle with him (I hate his style. I could care less if he strings his strat backwards, I just think he plays like a ****ing retard up there) and Robert Randolph opened (then appeared in the "Sunshine of Your Love" encore). Cray was there for about 2 songs... *cries*

thats it, Doyle doesnt seem to do much to me, lots of repicked bends and double stops which he plays a lot. The way he strings his guitar seems to restrict his playing so it doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Im not one who thinks you have to play a lot of notes fast to be good, but occasionally showing you have a bit of flare helps, i honestly think anyone with a bit of guitar playing ability could recreate 90% of what he did when i saw him.

i will try to check out the albums you sugggested red, thanks.

TNfootballfan62
05-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, after watching the DVD that comes with "Sessions for Robert J.", Doyle didn't impress me very much. His playing seemed uninspired and boring, to me.

~AdNy
05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
oh god, trucks is absolutely incredible. ive seen him 3 or 4 times with the allman brothers, and i swear i could sit there and watch him get better. last year, he was absolutely incredible, for such a young player. he sounded such like duane allman it was uncanny, but with his own twang that ive never heard. this years shows, the same, except a hundred times better.

DAMN, i wish i could see him playing with clapton :(

redwing_suck
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh, yeah, Beat... check out Gov't Mule's album "Live... With A Little Help From Our Friends." It's a concert they did in the late 90s on New Years Eve. They bring out a bunch of friends, and Trucks is featured on a 29-minute "Afro Blue," a Trucks Band original from "Soul Serenade." He is also featured in the Gov't Mule classic "Soulshine." Somewhere along the way through the song, he breaks a string (seriously, he's tearing it up) --- at the end of the song, Haynes says, "Ladies and gentlemen, Derek Trucks on the five string geetar... playin' the hell outta that five string geetar."

Yeah...

Adny: Seen the Allman Bros twice live, will be three times on Spet 1 (yay!). I went with the bassist from my band the second time, and he turns to me in the middle of their 15-minute "Jessica" and says, "Matt, why can't YOU play like that?" I gave him a blank stare of pure shock.

TheHeartbreaker
05-23-2006, 04:23 PM
^^Haha.

I've only seen them once myself. It would've been twice except my dad and I chose to watch the Yanks and Sox play (****ing Red Sox won, though :( ), so we regreted not going.

I'm going this year, though.

~AdNy
05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Adny: Seen the Allman Bros twice live, will be three times on Spet 1 (yay!). I went with the bassist from my band the second time, and he turns to me in the middle of their 15-minute "Jessica" and says, "Matt, why can't YOU play like that?" I gave him a blank stare of pure shock.

:eek: funny you should say that, first time i went i went with the drummer, and guitarist of my then-band. in the middle (was either jessica or Les Brers), the drummer turns to me and goes, "how come you cant play bass and guitar like THAT?" i go to the guitarist and say, "how come you cant play guitar like THAT?". we both turn to the drummer and break out laughin because he sucked, and aws absloutely put to shame by the band's THREE dummers. classic moment :D

and yeah, i have that "soulshine" verision, ive always expected trucks broke a string. first time i saw the Allmans, he broke 2 or 3 strings, absolutely shredding his SG's to pieces.

redwing_suck
05-24-2006, 02:35 AM
I've never heard Les Brers live... really really really want to. Don't know how Dickey Betts feels about them playing it, lol.

TheHeartbreaker
05-24-2006, 05:53 AM
^^Lol, actually, at their first concert I went to, Les Brers in a Minor was the only song I could remember them playing (probably because it was before I was really into them like I am now).

It's a great song, and I just remember them doing the build-up like they do in the studio-version, and then the riff... it's amazing - everyone started to go wild and stuff. I asked my dad what song it was, and he told me Les Brers in a Minor. Since I didn't get home until about 1 in the morning, I went to bed, but the next day I went through all of my dad's Allman Brother CDs, looking at the back of each to find the name of the song, and finally I picked up Eat a Peach and found it.

When I first started playing the song I didn't realize it doesn't really "get started" until about 3:40 into it when the bass starts up. Once I found that, though, I played that song again, and again, and again.

StratRat13
05-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Well, after watching the DVD that comes with "Sessions for Robert J.", Doyle didn't impress me very much. His playing seemed uninspired and boring, to me.

He looked like he just didn't even care for being there.

Derigiberble
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
He looked like he just didn't even care for being there.

Where have you been? :confused:

~AdNy
05-24-2006, 10:13 PM
I've never heard Les Brers live... really really really want to. Don't know how Dickey Betts feels about them playing it, lol.
if youve ever seen them live, im surprised you havent heard it. they played it as the opener 3 of the 4 times ive seen them, aside form statesboro blues the first time. hearing it live is amazing, trucks leads the build up for like 5 minutes of warming up, then Oteil breaks in with that incredible bass, and off they go. amazing stuff, if that doesnt get you pumped for a show, you've got no soul :no:

TheHeartbreaker
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
^^When I saw them it was one of the later things they played but it really doesn't matter - it's incredible.

Les Brers in a Minor probably has the greatest bassline of any song.

Jackolas
05-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Stop dissing doyle.

DOYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

redwing_suck
05-28-2006, 02:19 AM
if youve ever seen them live, im surprised you havent heard it. they played it as the opener 3 of the 4 times ive seen them, aside form statesboro blues the first time. hearing it live is amazing, trucks leads the build up for like 5 minutes of warming up, then Oteil breaks in with that incredible bass, and off they go. amazing stuff, if that doesnt get you pumped for a show, you've got no soul :no:
They opened with "Jessica" the second time and "Statesboro Blues" the first time... I wonder what's in store for me this year.... :rolleyes: <--look of wonder and excitement

At least both times I got "Mountain Jam"... incredible musical experience.

~AdNy
05-28-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah, hereing that mountain jam riff is just such a thrill. twice another jam slowly changed, and the sound was familiar, then Warren Haynes played that lick and the crowd went insane.

TheHeartbreaker
05-28-2006, 07:40 PM
^^I'm psyched this year. Let's see... I get The Allman Brothers Band with The Derek Trucks Band and Oteil and the Peace Makers.

Then I get Eric Clapton with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II.

~AdNy
05-29-2006, 03:12 PM
^^I'm psyched this year. Let's see... I get The Allman Brothers Band with The Derek Trucks Band and Oteil and the Peace Makers.

Then I get Eric Clapton with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II.
is that also the tour with robert cray opening? :sad: im missing out on so much this summer

TheHeartbreaker
05-29-2006, 03:46 PM
^^Yeah, I totally forgot about that. Man, this is going to ROCK... or BLUES?