The Blues Trivia Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Blues Trivia Thread

fenderfreak101
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Allright. Simple thread. I really am having a hard time finding a lot of info about Blues Roots and History, so i figured I'd come here. I'm hoping that, despite the low posting that goes on here, that this thread can be a success.

I'll start off:

From what did BB King get his nickname (BB)?

Ill try to update in this post who's answered the most correctly, although, I'm not going to bother with it if there minimal posting.

Try not to cheat (Use Google, or other websites, etc.)

Happy posting :)

jimmyjimjim
05-15-2006, 06:58 PM
wasn't it his nickname for his radioshow? its blues boy

schitz
05-15-2006, 07:00 PM

Precisely. That was in Guitar World last month. they did a whole thing on BB King and all his greatest hits.

jimmyjimjim
05-15-2006, 07:03 PM
okay, ill go. who was the record executive who didnt let buddy guy use distortion on his records?

StaggHound
05-15-2006, 07:45 PM

That's only part of the story.

Originally, he was doing adverts for Pepticon, playing and singing the Jingle

"Pepticon sho' is good, you can get it anywhere in yo' neighbourhood"

And was known as the Pepticon Boy.

Later he became known as the Beale Street Blues Boy.

Which was shortened to Blues Boy.

Which was shortened to BB.

IrishBlues
05-15-2006, 08:09 PM
okay, ill go. who was the record executive who didnt let buddy guy use distortion on his records?

Thats in my B.B. King box set but i dont have it on me...

Sam Phillips maybe?

What song did Howlin' Wolf have to literally strum Clapton's hand on his guitar to get him to learn?

fenderfreak101
05-16-2006, 08:40 PM
That's only part of the story.

Originally, he was doing adverts for Pepticon, playing and singing the Jingle

"Pepticon sho' is good, you can get it anywhere in yo' neighbourhood"

And was known as the Pepticon Boy.

Later he became known as the Beale Street Blues Boy.

Which was shortened to Blues Boy.

Which was shortened to BB.

Thats what i was looking for ;)

FunkedUp
05-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Thats in my B.B. King box set but i dont have it on me...

Sam Phillips maybe?

What song did Howlin' Wolf have to literally strum Clapton's hand on his guitar to get him to learn?
Are you thinking of the recording of 'Little Red Rooster' with Steve Winwood (and others whom I forget)?

meh!
05-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Something I dind't know till recently(my dad told me)

ALl this fuss that goes on about Jimmy Page stealing Willie Dixon songs(WHole lotta love, or whatever) it's a tad redundant.

As all these old blues songs had been around for ages, there was just a period in time when everyone went around copywrighting as many as they could. Willie Dixon was just one of the few white black folk to get his hands on some.

...you learn something new everyday.

StaggHound
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Willie Dixon was white black?!

IrishBlues
05-17-2006, 04:01 PM
^ Haha

Yes Little Red Rooster is correct.

And I dont want to start a Jimmy Page discussion but heres my opinion. I like Jimmy Page and I dont think that he is "stealing". Blues is know for the generations passing on music and Jimmy Page loved the blues. Just as the Rolling Stones were heavily influenced by Muddy Waters (thats where they got the name for the band) and Clapton from Robert Johnson. Jimmy Page was just paying tribute to the bluesman. Yes I will agree he didnt come right out and say that "This song is from ...", whereas somebody like Stevie Ray Vaughan did.

ufossuck
05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Who, other than Willie Dixon, accused Jimmy Page of stealing his ideas when he stole "You Shook Me?"

meh!
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Willie Dixon was white black?!
:haha

woops

Steve Cropper
05-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Earl Hooker

ufossuck
05-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Earl Hooker
Totally wrong.

ledhed68
05-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Jeff Beck

ufossuck
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Jeff Beck
Yessir

FunkedUp
05-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Allright. Simple thread. I really am having a hard time finding a lot of info about Blues Roots and History, so i figured I'd come here. I'm hoping that, despite the low posting that goes on here, that this thread can be a success.

I'll start off:

From what did BB King get his nickname (BB)?

Ill try to update in this post who's answered the most correctly, although, I'm not going to bother with it if there minimal posting.

Try not to cheat (Use Google, or other websites, etc.)

Happy posting :)
Also, buy Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey - it tells everything you need to know about the blues up to about 1999

ledhed68
05-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Who was on the bill with Robert Johnson the night he died

IrishBlues
05-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Sonny Boy Williamson II

ufossuck
05-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Who did Eric Clapton cover before he even debuted?

ledhed68
05-21-2006, 03:08 PM
originally posted by Irish Blues
Sonny Boy Williamson II

correct

FunkedUp
05-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Who did Eric Clapton cover before he even debuted?
Everyone! His standard was 'Nobody Knows You...', though I must confess I can never remember who did the original

FunkedUp
05-21-2006, 03:39 PM
What was Sonny Boy Williamson II's real name?

ufossuck
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Aleck Miller, though more commonly known as "Rice" Miller. The answer I was looking for to that last question was J.J. Cale, by the way. Clapton did "After Midnight" before J.J. Cale released it on his debut album.

Speaking of J.J. Cale, what's his middle initial. (Hint: it's not J)

FunkedUp
05-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I see, I misunderstood the question, thinking that "he" referred to Clapton, thought it seemed a bit of a stupid one to ask! Don't know about Cale's middle initial

IrishBlues
05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Jean Jacques Cale

ufossuck
05-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Jean Jacques Cale
Not Even Close, because that starts with J. As I said J is not his middle initial.

TheHeartbreaker
05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
All I know about J.J. Cale's middle-name is that it starts with "W", and that "Jaques" was a name given to him by a Frenchie.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm assuming the W actually stands for something.

I checked my Rolling Stone's Encyclopedia to Rock and Roll, and they have J.J. Cale born as Jean Jaques Cale, lol. :haha:

ufossuck
05-22-2006, 07:51 PM
All I know about J.J. Cale's middle-name is that it starts with "W", and that "Jaques" was a name given to him by a Frenchie.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm assuming the W actually stands for something.

I checked my Rolling Stone's Encyclopedia to Rock and Roll, and they have J.J. Cale born as Jean Jaques Cale, lol. :haha:
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there. I guess he figured J.J. Cale sounded better than J.W. Cale. His name is John W. Cale and whoever thought his name was Jean Jaques Cale is and idiot. He was born in Tulsa for God's sake!

IrishBlues
05-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah theres tons of sites that have him as Jean ... dont know his real middle name ... im gonna guess Walter

TheHeartbreaker
05-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, I guess it's my turn.

Uh... Wow, I suck at making questions...

Who played harmonica on The Allman Brothers "Enlightened Rogues" album?

~AdNy
05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, I guess it's my turn.

Uh... Wow, I suck at making questions...

Who played harmonica on The Allman Brothers "Enlightened Rogues" album?
ive allways suspected it was gregg, or dickey betts :confused:

TheHeartbreaker
05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
^^No... :p:

~AdNy
05-25-2006, 04:42 PM
john hammond Jr? i know he played with them a few times, back in the day. yes, i know that for a fact, as i had a conversation about duane with im not 3 weeks ago :p: (idk if he recorded anything, though).

IrishBlues
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Blues master Robert Johnson was famed for going down to the crossroads and learning guitar from the devil. But what other instrument did Robert Johnson play?

Steve Cropper
06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
The human voice.

IrishBlues
06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
The human voice.

Good answer ... i actually read that he knew how to play piano but know that i looked it up I cant find any other website supporting it