How to figure out how many notes per second u play

PDA

View Full Version : How to figure out how many notes per second u play

DropD_Todd
05-19-2006, 03:35 AM
I was just wondering coz u see people talk about all these guitar players play at 30 notes some at 20 and stuff how can i figure out how many notes per second i play

mr_hankey
05-19-2006, 03:40 AM
Count maybe?

Record it, and slow it down (for example; record a 5 second part, count the notes, and divide by 5).

CraigKing
05-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Yeah um..count.

Rox0r713
05-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Number of notes played divided by the number of seconds it took to play it. Voila. Notes per second.

Reverb X
05-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Who cares? Speed isnt the only thing about guitar!. GET OVER IT!

Diceman42
05-19-2006, 04:07 AM
faster, boy, faster!

Andrewbiles
05-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I used to record myself playing a few seconds worth, cut out everything but the cleanest seconds worth and then slow it down and count it.

HammerForce
05-19-2006, 08:07 AM
either that or get a section of like, 16 notes + a metronome then see what the fastest bpm you can play the whole thing in 4 beats is. Then divide the bpm by 60 then multiply the total by 4. That'll be your nps.

Evil_Empire24-7
05-19-2006, 08:13 AM
it's not very important.

JUST PLAY !!!!!!!!!!!!

TheUltimateSin
05-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Did the few of you who are whining at him about speed not being important ever stop to actually read his question? And where did he say that "speed was everything"? He is saying that he is curious to know what his current speed is. So how does that automatically make it look like speed is everything. I am curious to know mine as well, and I sure as hell know that speed isn't everything. It's a curiosity motive. Chill the hell out. :rolleyes:

Freepower
05-19-2006, 08:33 AM
I used to record myself playing a few seconds worth, cut out everything but the cleanest seconds worth and then slow it down and count it.

Pah, thats kinda illusionary, picking the cleanest second and counting that...

What you want to do is play a sextuplet run to a metronome and then divide the bpm by 10. If you cant play sextuplet runs, then speed is the least of your worries. :)

And afaik, one player can play at 30nps, and only a very few at 20 - nearly nobody picking, thats pretty much only sweeping or tapping. :)

insideac
05-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I think I did it wrong because I got 36

Doubleday
05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I think I did it wrong because I got 36
LOL! Probably!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tempo will actually help you play faster rather than just pure speed. Get the groove going and flow with it, don't fight against it. You'll be shredding in no time.

apocalypse13
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Count maybe?

Record it, and slow it down (for example; record a 5 second part, count the notes, and divide by 5).
Yeah um..count.
Number of notes played divided by the number of seconds it took to play it. Voila. Notes per second.

:rolleyes:

No, It's

BPM/60 x Notes per beat

So for 16th note triplets at 120 Bpm its:

120/60=2
2 x 6 (since there is six notes per beat on 16th triplets) = 12 nps

Very simple...

And dumbasses with your speed isn't everything comments...
Do you guys have like a special alarm that goes off when someone says something about speed that screams "Go be an elitist asshat for no reason just because you can?"

Seriously grow up. Speed isn't everything. But it's the only numerical way to measure skill. You can't measure songwriting. You can't measure emotion. You can measure speed. So why not? Sure, songwriting is way more important than speed, but speed is a useful tool in songwriting. And your retarded "Well speed can't be used effectively" comments go out the door because what about Paganini? Bach? Countless classical composers utilized speed effectively. Why can't guitarists? Is it illegal? Is there some handbook that says once you achieve x speed, you are no longer able to write? :rolleyes:

Some licks sound better fast, and that's all there is to it. Some licks are better slow, and some sound like crap when played slow. So why limit yourself to just slow? You can learn to play fast and develop as a musician. Listen to Vai (I'm listening to him now and just happened to notice how well he fit this criteria,) he knows well when to play slow and when to play fast, as well as countless other guitarists.

But I know you ignorant morons will just disregard this entirely and come back with the same "Sp33d = t3h sucKZZ" argument, so why waste my time going further?

TheUltimateSin
05-19-2006, 05:16 PM
^I was just thinking about Paganini too, and that whole discussion we all had about him in that Marcus Paus thread..

Andrewbiles
05-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Pah, thats kinda illusionary, picking the cleanest second and counting that...

Hardly when the microphone is a sh*tty clip on one.

Gman400
05-19-2006, 10:37 PM
:rolleyes:

No, It's

BPM/60 x Notes per beat

So for 16th note triplets at 120 Bpm its:

120/60=2
2 x 6 (since there is six notes per beat on 16th triplets) = 12 nps

Very simple...

And dumbasses with your speed isn't everything comments...
Do you guys have like a special alarm that goes off when someone says something about speed that screams "Go be an elitist asshat for no reason just because you can?"

Seriously grow up. Speed isn't everything. But it's the only numerical way to measure skill. You can't measure songwriting. You can't measure emotion. You can measure speed. So why not? Sure, songwriting is way more important than speed, but speed is a useful tool in songwriting. And your retarded "Well speed can't be used effectively" comments go out the door because what about Paganini? Bach? Countless classical composers utilized speed effectively. Why can't guitarists? Is it illegal? Is there some handbook that says once you achieve x speed, you are no longer able to write? :rolleyes:

Some licks sound better fast, and that's all there is to it. Some licks are better slow, and some sound like crap when played slow. So why limit yourself to just slow? You can learn to play fast and develop as a musician. Listen to Vai (I'm listening to him now and just happened to notice how well he fit this criteria,) he knows well when to play slow and when to play fast, as well as countless other guitarists.

But I know you ignorant morons will just disregard this entirely and come back with the same "Sp33d = t3h sucKZZ" argument, so why waste my time going further?

no nonono no way dude sped is teh sukage ands rong to ply bcuz my fav guitur plkayrs and me ply muzic!!

Oh and for real, do you have to play the riffs or whatever a few times for it to really count? I can play 9.6 (at least) for a sextuplet run but only repeated once, it follows a 16th note riff (it's a riff from Voices by Dream Theater.)

Other than that I can play 9.2 but I think I just beat that yesterday (this is 16th note inside picking on 2 strings) and I've been playing 2 and a half years (almost.) Is that any good you think?

thelastdeath
05-20-2006, 03:06 AM
sry for going off topic...but 8nps is the tops i can play (accurately) is taht the low or high or middle end of speed for most ppl.. (sry for trying to compare myself with other ppl but tahts the only way to know if i'm doing good)

TheUltimateSin
05-20-2006, 07:30 AM
^No, it's not the "only way to know you're doing good". It's simply "know how fast you can currently play". What's good and what's not is a matter of perception between the player and the person(s) listening. And like apoc said, speed is just the measurable factor of the whole. You can't whip out an tool or write out a formula and measure the emotion of the listener or the songwriting, as he said. But anyway, to try to answer your initial question, I would personally say that most people sit between 8-15 average nps. But I don't really know. That sounds like one of those useless chunks of knwledge FP or Resi would carry around :p: I'm not the techical wiz here.

Freepower
05-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Most people i've heard are between 6 and 10.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4207150030723270023&q=peterson+wim

Thats 12nps cleanly alternate picked. You think 15nps is AVERAGE? Petrucci doesnt hit 15nps. :)

I can pick 9, cleanly and with moderate control (poor dynamics, i tend to pick it all quite evenly and hard, my quieter end doesnt really exist for faster picking) on a lane example which covers string skips of one string and generall 3nps sextuplet patterns, which is pretty fundamental.

Otoh, there are some things that stop your picking technique in its tracks...there are two things attached.

One thing i never cease to be irritated at is the disparity between my legato and picking for effort put in versus results...

psychodelia
05-20-2006, 01:15 PM
^ Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

I have some 32nd note runs I do at 100 bpm, so I figure that's 8 notes per beat, times 100 beats in a minute, would be 800 notes a minute. Divide that by 60 seconds in a minute, and that would be about 13 nps?

I can't sustain it for that long though, the kid on the video definitely has me beat. I don't use much flash either anymore, I was just wondering if I'm calculating it correctly.

Tom Martin
05-20-2006, 03:01 PM
The 'kid' in that video is MoS's guitar teacher isn't it?

I can alt pick runs up to about 14 nps, and if we're gonna count easy chromatic runs I can hit around 18, but that amounts to shit really, so get me.

My confident alt picking is between 10 and 12 nps I think, I've never spent too much time counting.

TheUltimateSin
05-20-2006, 04:17 PM

Thats 12nps cleanly alternate picked. You think 15nps is AVERAGE? Petrucci doesnt hit 15nps. :)

Like I said, I'm not the wiz at this stuff. :p: I was just guesstimating. But we can always count on you for this knowledge, FP ;)

Prophet of Page
05-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Legato, well I'm not sure, I've actually never calculated. I'm fast enough with it anyway. But then legato is easy, I'm probably as fast with it as I ever was. Picking I used to have up to 16nps cleanly (16ths at 240 or sextuplets at 160), but because I haven't had as much time to practice this year as compared to last, I may well have slowed down a bit. This summer will fix that though. I don't really ever sweep, so I couldn't even give an estimate.

Erich yeung
05-20-2006, 04:59 PM

I can pick 9, cleanly and with moderate control (poor dynamics, i tend to pick it all quite evenly and hard, my quieter end doesnt really exist for faster picking) on a lane example which covers string skips of one string and generall 3nps sextuplet patterns, which is pretty fundamental.

Otoh, there are some things that stop your picking technique in its tracks...there are two things attached.

One thing i never cease to be irritated at is the disparity between my legato and picking for effort put in versus results...

Yeah the picking stuff was pretty cool, most of it i can do pretty easily and cleanly at round 14 nps, just the last string skipping patterns a bitch though, i think i can do that at like 7 nps :p:

aeginotu
09-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Wait, to clarify:

Quarter note = each beat
Eighth note = twice each beat
Sixteenth note = four times each beat
Thirty-second note = eight times each beat
Sixty-fourth note = sixteen times per beat.
etc?
If so I can hit about 20 alternate picking(eighth-notes on 600bpm)
If not 10 :D
Is there an online program I can use to verify this?

Godly Moose
09-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Quite an old topic, but yes. I'm not sure why you need to verify it. But Guitar Pro or Powertab are two programs. But I'm pretty sure both of those can only go up to around 400 bpm or so. Also would make more sense to play 16th notes at 300 bpm, or 32nd notes at 150 bpm, or 64th notes at 75 bpm. Since it's better having that then a ridicuosly high tempo.

torturer6067
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
the nps is very simple to calculate. you set your metronome to for example to 120bpm. thats 2bps so if you play 3 notes per one beat its 6nps!

Acϵ♠
09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Legato, well I'm not sure, I've actually never calculated. I'm fast enough with it anyway. But then legato is easy, I'm probably as fast with it as I ever was. Picking I used to have up to 16nps cleanly (16ths at 240 or sextuplets at 160), but because I haven't had as much time to practice this year as compared to last, I may well have slowed down a bit. This summer will fix that though. I don't really ever sweep, so I couldn't even give an estimate.

Yeah.

Im gonna call BS.

Resiliance
09-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah.

Im gonna call BS.

:o

Scorzerci
09-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I can play 10-11 nps simple chromatics and around 12-13 in 3-4 second bursts. I have never really clocked myself playing anything else so I don't know how fast I can play stuff other than chromatics.

Beckerism
09-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Petrucci doesn't hit 15?...

Acϵ♠
09-28-2006, 07:26 PM
:o

...?

aeginotu
09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Quite an old topic, but yes. I'm not sure why you need to verify it. but Guitar Pro or Powertab are two programs. But I'm pretty sure both of those can only go up to around 400 bpm or so. Also would make more sense to play 16th notes at 300 bpm, or 32nd notes at 150 bpm, or 64th notes at 75 bpm. Since it's better having that then a ridicuosly high tempo.
It's not that I have to, I just want to figure out how fast I can alternate pick at.
Also, I just can't keep up fast enough to count 16th notes at 300bpm.
Plus I just don't think that playing 20 nps is human, it just really doesn't sound right. And god forbid I be able to do it.

VaiSatchLaiho
09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
I managed to play 11.5 badly once. I can play 10 nps alt picked consistently. From what I've heard, it seems to me that anything beyond 13nps for anyone on this website is pretty impressive.

Godly Moose
09-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I managed to play 11.5 badly once. I can play 10 nps alt picked consistently. From what I've heard, it seems to me that anything beyond 13nps for anyone on this website is pretty impressive.

Depends on what though. Because, I'm pretty sure I can probably hit over 20+ nps with tapping. But tapping isn't that hard to get really fast.

Shreddin 4 Life
09-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Depends on what though. Because, I'm pretty sure I can probably hit over 20+ nps with tapping. But tapping isn't that hard to get really fast.

true

tapping is like, the lazy man's way of playing arpeggios :p:

Prophet of Page
09-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah.

Im gonna call BS.

Feel free to, if you're comfortable being a twat, and an incorrect one at that.

VaiSatchLaiho
09-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Sorry, should have clarified myself. I meant alternate picking, not tapping, sweeping, or anything else.

Axis Of Evil
10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Who cares? Speed isnt the only thing about guitar!. GET OVER IT!

I've gotta agree with him.

Godly Moose
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I've gotta agree with him.

When did we ever state that it was? Besides, it does play a major impact. If this wasn't so then everything would be monotonous. Just playing in only 8ths, or 16ths, etc I'm not just talking about the tempo. And playing in different time signatures, and phrasing, etc. The list goes on. Think about it.

Rayguitarist
12-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Dude! There is this guy in FLORIDA - USA, his name is Patrick Powell and
He plays 21 notes per second on the guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!! 21 notes per second on electric guitar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With Alternate Picking, economy picking, every other type of picking man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's insane!!!!!

I could not believe what I heard or what I saw!!!!!!!!
I'm still in SHOCK!!!!
And then after KICKING EVERYBODY'S BUTTSSSSSSS he politely says:
Ooooh I'm just a humble guitarist!!!!!!!!!!

<<< at least he is humble >>>

Me and some friends are trying to convince him to teach us how to do all that and he says that he cannot reveal it now!!!!! Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said that he will be recording his first CD, videos and going on a World Tour in 2010 and then 10 years later he will reveal his technique entirely to schools and universities because he doesn't want guitarists suffering with technical problems anymore. And then I asked him: So why don't you end our suffering now???????
He says that he wants to enjoy his Scientific discoveries for at least 10 years before before he reveals it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched the guy playing FASTER THAN RUSTY COOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw him playing Rusty Cooley's licks faster than him but with Malmsteen's style of picking with tiny movements of index finger and thumb but EXTREMELY LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!!!! He played Malmsteen's Far Beyond the Sun and Little Savage like if it was nothing dude!!!!!

He said that he would soon have a page on myspace, his own webpage, CDs, videos coming out and etc...

I'm already his fan!!!!!

I will follow this guy FOREVER wherever he goes!!!!!!!!

MRavioli
12-06-2008, 11:43 AM
What's a good beat measure for speed. 16th notes at (tempo) or *tuplets at (tempo)?

Zaphod_Beeblebr
12-06-2008, 12:55 PM
What's a good beat measure for speed. 16th notes at (tempo) or *tuplets at (tempo)?

Anything as long as you know how to work out NPS. One thing that's really good though is not posting in a thread that's 2+ years old.

shooterman
12-06-2008, 06:47 PM
just use a metronome and if you can play at the speed it is set to, there you go you can tell

Your_Dad
12-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Well, I can pick 13 nps, and I'd consider that to be rather average. Petrucci can def pick 15 His top is like, 21 nps.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
12-07-2008, 10:27 PM
STOP POSTING! THIS THREAD IS OVER 2 YEARS OLD!