Zager?

PDA

View Full Version : Zager?

daspencer
05-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know the story about these guitars. there supposedly martins that are custom made to play easier. but it doesnt make sense to me how they can be sold for 400 dollars. if anyone has any experience with these guitars i would appreciate it.

TedZeppelin
05-21-2006, 12:27 AM
The guitars that the guy uses are cheap martins. With martins, in order to actually get a good one that isn't way overpriced for their name you will have to spend closer to 1000 dollars and have solid woods. The guitars the zager has customized are all laminate back and sides plus laminate top. That translates to poor transfer of sound. Basically you can get a much better sounding guitar for that price and it will still be pretty well playable. I am not familiar with what zager does to the guitars, but I can't really think it would make a huge difference. It is probably just set up right. Who knows, but my advice would be to buy something other than the customized cheap martins. The playability won't help the sound.

daspencer
05-21-2006, 11:56 AM
alright thanks. i figured pretty much the same thing.

jimtaka
05-21-2006, 04:12 PM
is that the guy that customizes the sigma line from martin?

reholli
05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
The guitars that the guy uses are cheap martins. With martins, in order to actually get a good one that isn't way overpriced for their name you will have to spend closer to 1000 dollars and have solid woods. The guitars the zager has customized are all laminate back and sides plus laminate top. That translates to poor transfer of sound. Basically you can get a much better sounding guitar for that price and it will still be pretty well playable. I am not familiar with what zager does to the guitars, but I can't really think it would make a huge difference. It is probably just set up right. Who knows, but my advice would be to buy something other than the customized cheap martins. The playability won't help the sound.

Actually, only one model currently listed on the Zager website does not have a solid top, the Zager-modified Sigma DM-1. The other Zager-modified Sigma, the DR-41, has a solid spruce top, while all the Zager-label guitars have solid spruce or cedar tops. That's 1 laminated top out of 15 models. Solid wood is not claimed for the sides and backs, so they may very well be laminate. The guitars are of Korean manufacture, I believe, and all have decent features for their price. Many users have good things to say about these guitars, although I've never played one myself. They offer a 100% money-back guarantee and have been in business for a long time, but are usually lumped in the Esteban class, I'd say unfairly.

Anyone actually played one?

IThinkNot
05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
The guys at harmony-central absolutely hate them.

reholli
05-23-2006, 02:40 AM
The guys at harmony-central absolutely hate them.

Your handle says it all, IThinkNOT:

Zager ZAD-50 at Harmony Central: 100 responses, 9.7 overall rating, 9.6 sound, 9.9 customer support...

Zager ZAD-80 at Harmony Central: 36 responses, 9.9 overall rating, 9.7 sound, 9.9 customer support...

and the ratings are similar for most of the models...yeah, I can just see all that hate...only some of the highest ratings around.

jimtaka
05-23-2006, 04:31 AM
just out of curiosity reholli, have you ever played one? i just couldn't tell if you were curious about the quality and sound of the guitars or if you are already a fan of them.

reholli
05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
just out of curiosity reholli, have you ever played one? i just couldn't tell if you were curious about the quality and sound of the guitars or if you are already a fan of them.

No, I haven't had a chance to play any, but I tend to rise to the defense in situations where the apparent facts don't match the attack...not a fan because I would have to play some for that, but looking at the guitars on Zagers site, and reading the specs and testmonials, I've been curious. However, I'm also naturally suspicious, and any system (Zager's "String Science") that's touted to make a particular product "the best" would definitely require hands-on experience.

The 3 brands I'm a fan of are those I've played and liked: Martin, Seagull, and Art & Lutherie.

dafrimpster
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Mine should arrive by thursday...
ZAD80CE
Solid Cedar Top, Laminated Rosewood back and sides.
I was unsure unitl I found something on another forum from a guy who sent his back and did indeed get a quick no questions asked refund.
So I figure what the heck if it's all they say is woo hoo if not I will send it back...

dafrimpster
07-26-2006, 06:32 PM
I love my Zager. Yes I have played many acoustics from 500 to 5000 dollars. I have been playing for about 30 years. I bought the top of the line Zager the one with the cedar top and Fishman electronics. With shipping and a nice case it was 915 dollars to my door. It plays better than anything I played in that price range. This includes Martins, Taylor's, takamine's and many others. I played a 5000 custom made guitar form a local luthier and the Zager didn't quite match that one. :) Nor did it sound quite as rich as the high end Taylor I played. However, nothing I played for 2000 or less compared to it. They are great sounding great playing guitars for a relatively low price. Sorry guitar snobs!

Guitar Hack
11-04-2006, 03:07 PM
To Ted Zepplin above.

You obviously have never played a Zager guitar and your ignorance is showing. These guitars are made of Martin parts. The lower end Zager is made from a Martin Sigma. I have played both the Zad 50 and the Zad 80. Both are excellent. The 80 is particularly outstanding and I would put it next to just about any guitar you can produce. I am not privy to the manufacturing process at Zager so can't testify to the quality of the parts but the sound it produces is nothing short of outstanding. I'm sure it will have few equals when it reaches it's peak in about 20 years or so.

The set up is outstanding. Just keep fresh strings on it and make sure to use the type of strings recomended for it. Usually Martin extra light phosphor bronze. I use Martin marquis strings on it. I tried regular Martin extra lights (non-phosphor bronze) and that diminished the sound a bit.

Comments on guitars one has never played or have first hand knowledge about are not helpful. :)

You can hear it at my web site. I have a few songs recorded using it.

roamingbard13
11-04-2006, 03:11 PM
^ Please don't bring up threads that are 3 months old.

Especially in response to someone who posted nearly 6 months ago.

Guitar Hack
11-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I respond to threads that interest me. Please take your control issues elsewhere!