Best Practice Schedual?

PDA

View Full Version : Best Practice Schedual?

Gman400
05-20-2006, 10:47 PM
This isn't about routine so much as it is about the amount of time you play per day.

Would it be better to play like 2 hours everyday or 4-5 hours one day and then none the next day to rest your fingers?

I was thinking about this because bodybuilders generally give their muscles a day off after working out so I thought maybe it'd be the same for guitar, but at the same time you get a little stale if you don't play. Likewise, if you play 5 hours straight then you get completely warmed up and can spend more time working on harder things that you wouldn't normally play in a 2 hour "workout."

Any opinions?

Masknought
05-20-2006, 11:00 PM
it can work either way. if you have an intense, well-rounded practice and take the next day off, you can come back refreshed and with a new perspective. the only downside is you might not be as sharp from not practicing a day, but i know several people who do this and it seems to work wonders for them. i do it sometimes, every couple of weeks ill take a day off or two during a week and i find it makes me a better player all around.

Stop Messin'
05-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I think it's easier to sit for 20-30 mins at a time, maybe 3-4 times a day than it is to sit for 3-4 hours straight.

Growing up i could never learn alot sitting for hours on end. So i started doing 20-30 minute sittings a few times a day and it was way better.

EZLN libertad
05-20-2006, 11:01 PM
2 hours every day
builds muscle memory better

like if you play a riff trying to speed it up one day, rest, and come back 2 days later, yeah its gonna be a little better, but all that you worked on will be out the window

also this definitely does not belong here, maybe in guitar, or pit

pageXxXzoso
05-20-2006, 11:14 PM
i agree with stop messin'
i'd say 1-2 hours a day, but broken up,
maybe a little when you wake up,
a lot when your bored
a little before you goto sleep
etc.

that's how i do it

White_Devil
05-21-2006, 03:10 AM
i play for 1-2 hours weekdays, then on weekends i play for maybe two hours have a rest then come back and play later

splice
05-21-2006, 04:31 AM
im gonna say 2 to 3 hours a day because of this:

3 hours a day
7 days a week
=21 hours
4 hours
5 days a week
=20 hours

plus you get more from practicing daily because everytime you practice you come back the next day gaining a little of what you did yesterday

i suck at explaining things

Andrewbiles
05-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Search