Playing and Your Mood

PDA

View Full Version : Playing and Your Mood

Stinging_Acid
05-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Does anyone else here feel that when they play the blues, they actually channel and relieve their stress, and how they feel directly effects what, and how, you play. I find this is the case with me, and I'm just wondering about you guys.

Any stories of a really inspired session of playing when you were particularly "Feeling the Blues"

meh!
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I must say i played with emotion for the first time..ever, a few nights ago.

I had been speaking to my girlfriend who i hadn't seen, on the phone.

then i went and played blues, it just go everything out of me.

The Master Plan
05-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Yea same with me, whatever I feel or can't seem to say goes through my fingers and then through my guitar. Its beautiful...

psychodelia
05-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Definitely inspired sessions, but it was where the music had an emotional effect on me, not the other way around.

If I'm truly angry it's hard to concentrate, and I end up making feedback, out of tune bends, and every other tense sound that comes to me. It doesn't always sound good, and it's not my best stuff. It's good stress relief, though, music is pretty good at calming me down.

AndyGray
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I agree, when I have little energy, I play the blues... when im sad and tired.
When im all happy i play funk and jazz. And when im pissed off its metal all the way.

TheHeartbreaker
05-22-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't play with emotion much, but when I do... wow. That's definetly when I play my best.

I remember one night when I was playing some Allman Brothers on guitar, and to get rhythm and timing down I would listen to my iPod and then play a piece of the song. I did this for about half-an-hour until I got everything down.

After that, I just started playing. Everything sounded beautiful, and I got really into it, and I started getting chills all over my body and I felt free. I started improvising and got some really good stuff coming out, and it felt like Duane and Berry were in the room in spirit playing with me.

I've had a few other occasions, some by myself, others when jamming with friends.

~AdNy
05-22-2006, 07:21 PM
the way i figure it, i have really no particular talent when i play guitar, but my music is all fueled by emotion. to HeartBreaker, i totally understand what you mean. my favorite songs to jam to are Stormy Monday and In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, and when i improvise stuff with that, i can feel the music just flowing through my whole body. the feeling after a good while of jamming is actually really similar to that post-orgasm feeling of absloute relaxness and satisfaction.

and yes, i have had the eerie feeling i am being watched by the spirits of dead guitarists like Duane :eek:

The Master Plan
05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
^Could you give me a tab of Stormy Monday Claptons version? Or the key of it thx.

IrishBlues
05-22-2006, 10:20 PM
On the Cream Reunion Tour he is playing in C minor penatonic with the usual major penatonic notes thrown in ... Stormy Monday Tab (http://www.12bar.de/solocream.php#Stormy)

Most of Claptons slow songs are in C like Have You Ever Loved a Woman and Double Trouble

Anyone got any good tabs to the Allman Brothers Version or In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ... would be appreciated

The Master Plan
05-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Thx buddy.

~1954~
05-23-2006, 06:44 AM
When I play guitar with a lot of **** on my mind I usually find that feelings and emotions which are usually pushed deep down in the subconcious part of the brain come to the surface, like ambitions, relationships etc. Its like the guitar playing releases those feelings- especially when I concentrate hard.

TheHeartbreaker
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
On the Cream Reunion Tour he is playing in C minor penatonic with the usual major penatonic notes thrown in ... Stormy Monday Tab (http://www.12bar.de/solocream.php#Stormy)

Most of Claptons slow songs are in C like Have You Ever Loved a Woman and Double Trouble

Anyone got any good tabs to the Allman Brothers Version or In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ... would be appreciated

Well, I've got a Live at the Fillmore East version in my Allman Brothers tab book. I think the one on the site is decently accurate, but it doesn't have the solo and a few other things.

~AdNy
05-23-2006, 06:04 PM

i thought there was one one here? if not, ive been meaning to write a tab, maybe ill get to it soon. if you really need i can tell you some parts i know, i pretty much learned it all from jamming along, E dorian scale.

TUMFP
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
i cant play without emotion...seriously, i jus get such a high when i play my guitar that everything thats me is sent through the amp too...jus the greatest thing...

Stinging_Acid
05-27-2006, 12:08 AM
^That's how I feel. It's amazing when I let the emotion go.

The Master Plan
05-27-2006, 02:46 AM
When I try to play without emotion like with my mind not my heart, it ends up sounding hollow or souless, but when I play with soul I make the guitar scream the blues through my small 15 watt Fender Blues Jr.

Resiliance
05-27-2006, 07:52 AM
I feel that with whatever I'm playing.

Even if it's shred.

TNfootballfan62
05-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I try to channel all my emotions to guitar playing, but the ones that produce the best music for me are when im down about things with my girlfriend or something. Sadness produces the most beautiful music, for me. I can channel any emotion though, usually, even happiness. Music really serves as a stress release, though, most of the time.