Male/Female Shredder Ratio

PDA

View Full Version : Male/Female Shredder Ratio

TheUltimateSin
05-21-2006, 10:11 PM
This really just hit me not to long ago, but I'm sure many of you may have at least noticed the ratio between female and male shredders.

I hate using the word "shredder" because it seems subjective and I know opinions may vary, but bear with me here folks. Moving on...

It could be pointed out as obvious that male shredders seem to outnumber female shredders by massive amounts. I mean, to be honest, the only female "shredder" I've seen is Katrina Johansson(and those who haven't heard of her, i direct you now to the thread about her just a few threads down from here). I am purposely leaving out the great Kat because lets face it, that thing's not a female; it is a crazy lapdog of satan :p:. Ok, but anyway, I was curious to see how many people would be interested in seeing more female "shredders" hit the public. I know that I, as male, would find it very interesting to see some women come out and go up to par with some of the better know male shredders out there. I know there are some out there that are capable; guitar playing is not an elitist regime.

And be it duley noted that sexist remarks will not be tolerated at any level;). Be mature.

psychodelia
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
"Well what's wrong wif bein sexy?"
"SexIST, Nigel!"

Had to throw in a Tap moment.

But yeah that'd be cool, I wouldn't mind being able to talk to some girls/ladies about more advanced playing. I don't know any girls in my area who do anything except chords on guitar. Some are definitely capable, but for some reason they just aren't interested in playing more advanced stuff, it's a pity.

uterus
05-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Jennifer Batten is a good shredder.

waylay00
05-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I hate the word "shred" too. I mean people like Al Di Meola "shred", but do they play metal? No. When the word "shred" comes to mind, one often thinks of a stereotypical 80's hair metal guitarist wearing long hair, donning tight leather pants, and playing some sort of guitar with a very pointy headstock.

TheUltimateSin
05-21-2006, 10:29 PM
^That's nice and all, but try to stick to the original question ;)

waylay00
05-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Sorry man, didn't know it was that big of a deal.

TheUltimateSin
05-22-2006, 08:06 AM
I just don't want this to turn intot a big argument/discussion about what shred is, because that's not what I was getting at. :)

Matt_Malmsteen
05-22-2006, 08:20 AM
I'd like to see more female "shredders", although I've read alot of things about this kind of argument it just seems to me that there is only about, one or two female "shredders" who're making records etc.

I think maybe the reason is, is that because of the fact that "shred guitar"(hate that term) is populated by males it makes it harder for females to find a role model that they can relate to. I actually know some chicks who like Malmsteen and stuff but naturally females relate to and mimic females more than they do males, so I think maybe alot of it is to do with the scene itself and some psychological factors.

Maybe some of you guys could get a sex change?

Andrewbiles
05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Its just not a very feminine thing to do really. I always find that female shredders come off as very masculine when they're playing and its not very attractive. Women should stick to the kitchen and simple poppy songs (the kitchen bit was more of a joke than sexist remark, but it is always nice to have a woman that can cook).

Cheesepuff
05-22-2006, 10:21 AM
If girls played guitar, it would be helluvalot easier to get laid.

AngilasGuy
05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Ugh... The Great Kat...
I'd pay to punch her in her jugular...

Scorzerci
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
^( to cheesepuff) no It wouldn't, they'd realise that you aren't a guitar god if you can play like a 5 NPS!
To answer the question, I honestly don't care if it's a male or female playing it, Music is music.

Resiliance
05-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I really really don't care what gender someone is when playing guitar.

eXor
05-22-2006, 12:23 PM
same thing with all "guitar genres"

Sweetbabyjezuz
05-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Kaki King??? Although she's acoustic....and more about fingerpick.....bah nm not a shredder heh.

TheUltimateSin
05-22-2006, 05:14 PM

I completely agree with you there. I was just being curious though when I asked this. :)

By the way, I hope some of you are actually taking the time to read and understand what it is I am saying. I can see that a few haven't and just blurted out nonesense and/or haven't backed it(ie Cheesepuff and Evil_Empire). But thanks for the input from those of you who are intelligent enough to comprehend what I was getting at :)

SlashHammett
05-22-2006, 05:48 PM
because women are more realistic and realise they most likely wont get anywhere from playing guitar so just bash out a few chords. and mens huge egos help motivate us to practise asmuch as us shredders do :P

gapster
05-23-2006, 12:33 AM
most female shredders wanks on violin..
most male shredders wanks on electric guitar..

on?

Abby123456
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Im a woman and practise about 6hours a day, and are faster than quite a few men i know.

I love stuff like Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Shawn Lane etc, but it would be nice to see some woman getting good on the guitar, just to prove it is possible

pavan
05-23-2006, 08:39 AM
sleaze and shred.......................

Resiliance
05-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Im a woman and practise about 6hours a day, and are faster than quite a few men i know.

I love stuff like Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Shawn Lane etc, but it would be nice to see some woman getting good on the guitar, just to prove it is possible

... Pic, adress, biography, please.

:p:

gapster
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
^from my experience...most women who shreds on electric guitar arent hot ;) all the best

Abby123456
05-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Well thanks! :peace:

Matt_Malmsteen
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
... Pic, adress, biography, please.

:p:

tsk tsk ;)

Abby123456
05-23-2006, 04:29 PM
....Then i read your sig saying " It takes balls"......

Kinda ironic

Prophet of Page
05-23-2006, 04:43 PM
most female shredders wanks on violin..
most male shredders wanks on electric guitar..

on?

I don't believe so. The ratio of female violin shredders to males violin shredders (can we please change that ****ing word to something else, I'm sick of it) is nowhere near as one sided as the corresponding ratio for guitar.

I conclude, there are more male wankers, and we wank more often and in as many different ways as possible.

The only thing I'll say in any regard is that the greater percentage of renouned virtuosi from any period, in any style of music have been men.

PooKoo
05-23-2006, 05:32 PM
I conclude, there are more male wankers, and we wank more often and in as many different ways as possible.

if i didnt respect you so much id sig that.

Scorzerci
05-23-2006, 05:47 PM

:haha :cheers:

Evil_Empire24-7
05-23-2006, 05:52 PM
The only thing I'll say in any regard is that the greater percentage of renouned virtuosi from any period, in any style of music have been men.like there are female virtuosos !!!!

Scorzerci
05-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Jie Lie (I think thats the name), Jennifer Batten, Katrina Johanson (Or whatever her name is) are some female virtuosos (I REFUSE TO MENTION THE GREAT KAT!).

gapster
05-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Well thanks! :peace:

if you are , you are a rare one ;)
i think the hottest chick i have ever seen with an electric guitar ...hmmm.
probably lindsay lohan in freaky friday

TheUltimateSin
05-23-2006, 11:55 PM

If it weren't for the fact that I have this thing against sigging stuff by our lovely shred forum regs due to respect, that was the single most hilarious truthful statement I have ever seen one make around here :haha

Erc
05-24-2006, 12:26 AM

Dude I just lollercoastered all over the room. That statement was pure genius!

Matt_Malmsteen
05-24-2006, 06:48 AM
....Then i read your sig saying " It takes balls"......

Kinda ironic

I just find Steve Vai and the word "balls" together to be too irresistable.

Archaon
05-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Let me tell you something. There are a couple girls in my school that play guitar. They all SUCK. If I ever saw a female shredder in my area I'd be humping her leg for hours. My taste in music has taken a toll on me my friends. I can no longer have fun with normal girls with crappy taste in music. I've already set a list for my criteria on whether I can date a girl or not. I believe it went something like this:

1) Thou shalt listen to Dream Theater.
2) Thou shalt not listen to crappy music.
3) Thou shalt play guitar, violin, or piano (some other instruments are cool too) and be good at it, lest ye want eternal punishment unto ye!
4) Thou shalt know what sweep picking is.
5) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's guitar.
6) Thou shalt have a nice rack and a pretty smile.
7) Thou shalt not listen to Slipknot or any other crappy nu-metal bands.

I gotta go to school now I'll finish later.

Scorzerci
05-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't care what girls listen as long as they don't talk to me about it or try to make me listen to it.

Master Of Shred
05-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Or making music in general.

I think it's a good thing if someone is busy with music, and most shredders are, so it's good if a lady is a shredder I guess.

Not that I really care in the end....

I don't care what girls listen as long as they don't talk to me about it or try to make me listen to it.

Why not? It's not a bad thing to listen to some "non of your style" music, you might find some interesthing stuff. "Even" in pop, lots of great guitarists actually, not too much space for them though. But they get more space in remixes of the original though. I mean, Ron Thal is the guitarist for Jessica Simpson, Greg Howe played for Justin Timberlake and N*Sync and Andy Timmons played for Olivia Newton John.

Prophet of Page
05-24-2006, 01:19 PM
if i didnt respect you so much id sig that.

:haha :cheers:

If it weren't for the fact that I have this thing against sigging stuff by our lovely shred forum regs due to respect, that was the single most hilarious truthful statement I have ever seen one make around here :haha

Dude I just lollercoastered all over the room. That statement was pure genius!

Glad you all enjoyed it.

Scorzerci
05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Why not? It's not a bad thing to listen to some "non of your style" music, you might find some interesthing stuff. "Even" in pop, lots of great guitarists actually, not too much space for them though. But they get more space in remixes of the original though. I mean, Ron Thal is the guitarist for Jessica Simpson, Greg Howe played for Justin Timberlake and N*Sync and Andy Timmons played for Olivia Newton John.
I don't mind pop, I just hate it when people try to make me listen to horrible emo/pop punk things or things like Death cab for cutie or Panic! at the disco or things like that.

Master Of Shred
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't mind pop, I just hate it when people try to make me listen to horrible emo/pop punk things or things like Death cab for cutie or Panic! at the disco or things like that.

You seriously hang out with chicks who listen to that kind of music?

PooKoo
05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
I do!

why shuold music effect who your friends are?

Resiliance
05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Well, I find it reflects their intelligence and personality.

PooKoo
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Eh, some of the most interesting and intelligent people i know listen to complete ****, and some of the worst listen to buckethead, so eh.

Master Of Shred
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
PooKoo, I agree with Resi, well kind of.

Lots of people listen to the music which MTV offers them, of course. I don't mind it, I used to get pissed off because of it but I don't even bother anymore.

All of those punk/poppunk people are idiots, they really are.(At least over here.) I know where I'm talking about, I don't judge about anyone where I haven't talked with. But those are just stupid, annoying and wannahave-attention idiots.

On the other hand, a good mate of me -who is sick at piano, but that on a side note- listens to Evanescenes 'n stuff. He's really cool though, he gets really hyper when he has drunk some coke or anything like that, I always have an amazing time when I'm with him.

He's an exception, though.

PooKoo
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
yeah, a lot more people over here are like that, and its not that they listen to terrible music mtv shoves down their throat, and a lot of them are even into stuff i send them. The thing is, a lot of my friends are very open minded, plenty listen to indie, alt rock, all that terrible stuff, but since plenty of them are into music, they might like a becker song i send them just as much.

The people i cant stand are the ones who believe their music is better then yours, im as open minded as any, ill listen to whatever someone sends me, and i may like it or i may not, but im not gonna freak out on em if i dont.

But i do have limits, of course.

Resiliance
05-24-2006, 05:49 PM
^Here's the thing... Many people like it if you SEND it to them... But do they look for it? No...

**** that.

Evil_Empire24-7
05-24-2006, 05:51 PM
well my best friend plays guitar and likes all genres but his favorite genre is (C)RAP !!! that pretty ridiculous (sorry for bad spelling)

apocalypse13
05-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Let me tell you something. There are a couple girls in my school that play guitar. They all SUCK. If I ever saw a female shredder in my area I'd be humping her leg for hours. My taste in music has taken a toll on me my friends. I can no longer have fun with normal girls with crappy taste in music. I've already set a list for my criteria on whether I can date a girl or not. I believe it went something like this:

1) Thou shalt listen to Dream Theater.
2) Thou shalt not listen to crappy music.
3) Thou shalt play guitar, violin, or piano (some other instruments are cool too) and be good at it, lest ye want eternal punishment unto ye!
4) Thou shalt know what sweep picking is.
5) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's guitar.
6) Thou shalt have a nice rack and a pretty smile.
7) Thou shalt not listen to Slipknot or any other crappy nu-metal bands.

I gotta go to school now I'll finish later.
:haha

Tom's quote was hilarious too.

Scorzerci
05-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Well, I find it reflects their intelligence and personality.
Well the girl that I took example of with the 2 bands I listed before is the smartest person in our grade ( the max grade is a seven and in 8 subjects she got a 7 and in 1 subject she got a 6) so music doesn't always reflect their intelligence. One of my best friends listens to pretty bad music (Blink 182 and that kind of stuff), but I put all my shred cd's on his Ipod :devil: .

Resiliance
05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah, grades mean intelligence, riiiiiiiight.

I'm not talking about academic intelligence, that I could not give one unicorn testicle about.

Scorzerci
05-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Good grades or not, she is still intelligent.

Beckerism
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Jie Lie (I think thats the name), Jennifer Batten, Katrina Johanson (Or whatever her name is) are some female virtuosos (I REFUSE TO MENTION THE GREAT KAT!).

mexican_shred
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
(I REFUSE TO MENTION THE GREAT KAT!).
I hear they use her music to torture POWs

Scorzerci
05-24-2006, 08:03 PM

apocalypse13
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM

TheUltimateSin
05-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Oh yeah, grades mean intelligence, riiiiiiiight.

I'm not talking about academic intelligence, that I could not give one unicorn testicle about.

The only thing grades in school mean in how much one is willing to apply theirself. I have vast amounts of intelligent friends, but they don't get the best grades plainly because they aren't drawn enough to apply themselves to the subject.

PooKoo
05-24-2006, 09:27 PM
^Here's the thing... Many people like it if you SEND it to them... But do they look for it? No...

**** that.

i didnt like a lot of music till you guys told me about it, cause get this, i look for music though people more then anything else.

just me though, if it wasnt for you're sit id probably not heard of mike stern till mos brought him up a couple months back, etc etc, so it all works out.

Plus, what im saying is they appreciate musicianship, which is more then most, but ah well, i just like people for people.

's all good though, peace, right resi?

mexican_shred
05-24-2006, 09:30 PM
^:cheers: poo koo. Same here I would have been stuck only knowing YJM as the only "shredder". Most of my friends like country, rap, emo and pop(which all genres i hate) but they are still my dear friends. I wouldnt base a friendship entirely on music tatste.

apocalypse13
05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Nah me neither.

I have many friends who like similar music to me, but probably only one or two who have almost identical tastes. (IE: Only one or two go as heavy as I)

mexican_shred
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
^ are you that tr00 that only two go. :p:

Only about 3 of mine go as heavy or have almost exactly similar taste.

tho not too many people like jazz :(

PooKoo
05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
i know a couple jazzheads like me, its pretty cool, and a couple classical buffs, but we're not like real tight like me and my bad music bros.

mexican_shred
05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
The only classical head i know is my friend who composes/writes for the Seatle Symphony so sometimes its a bit tedious. Only jazzhead i know is my guitar teacher lol. Hmm i've notice the people who i am fbetter riends with are just general guitarist and video game freaks. Oh forgot marching band nerd. Most random people i know. funny people

apocalypse13
05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
^You must realize, I'm not talking Metallica or Sepultura...

I'm talking like Opeth/Nile/Necrophagist here...

mexican_shred
05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I know.

apocalypse13
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah

I'm late on the draw...

I meant to quote a post of yours like 4 away. :p:

Master Of Shred
05-25-2006, 04:49 AM
yeah, a lot more people over here are like that, and its not that they listen to terrible music mtv shoves down their throat, and a lot of them are even into stuff i send them. The thing is, a lot of my friends are very open minded, plenty listen to indie, alt rock, all that terrible stuff, but since plenty of them are into music, they might like a becker song i send them just as much.

The people i cant stand are the ones who believe their music is better then yours, im as open minded as any, ill listen to whatever someone sends me, and i may like it or i may not, but im not gonna freak out on em if i dont.

But i do have limits, of course.

I'm not saying that they have to listen to the same music as I do, I don't even bother. I actually am "friends" with a real ass gothic, I'm always sitting next to him in math class and he's really smart and friendly. Altough he does look a bit scary :p:

My point was just they the emo/punk people have an IQ of cup of pea-soup, or at least they pretend they have.

And your description of the people you can't stand are pretty much the punk guys over here, where I just talked about.

Scorzerci
05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
I think I'm the only person in my school that listens to really heavy metal (and I'm only 14 years old!), I'm quite sure I'm the only one that listens to shred and I'm one of the few people that listen to jazz (there a lot of pianists here).

ar73m
05-25-2006, 05:58 AM
I was looking through a 'list of most influential guitarists' or somesuch on wiki the other day. It had like 100 names on it, and NOT A SINGLE one was female. It was a little weird.

I am teaching a friend of mine to play guitar now (she's a girl) I'll make her the new Malmsteen yet :D