Friday Night in San fran 1980

PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night in San fran 1980

esp1988
05-22-2006, 03:41 PM
This is probably the greatest live perfomance by a guitar trio ever.just amazing.three of the best jazz/fusion and flamenco guitarists in the world.paco de lucia uses just his fingers no pick.freaking amazing.al dimeola n mclaughlin shredding on acoustic guitairs.shame it wasn't recorded on video.

uterus
05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I'd want to see that definately to see Paco De Lucia but I don't really care about the other guys. Paco's style interests me the most.

GuitarBoy-IL
05-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Paco is one of the greatest... He really inspires me.

invisible_man
05-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I love that album. Absolutely amazing.

SuburbanCowboy
05-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I've only heard pieces of it. But from what I heard, it did sound amazing.

Resiliance
05-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I think the album is overrated.

curtis loew
05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
never heard of them. does anyone else think this is the wrong forum? i might be wrong, im just curious?

waylay00
05-22-2006, 06:57 PM
No, it's in the right forum. I just think that 75% of the people here are very narrow minded when it comes to music. Therefore if it's not metal, then it must not be good. Just because something is acoustic doesn't mean that it is bad. I'm not pointing this at you, but I just see that stereotypical "shred has to be metal" mentality on here.

Technically, these guys (Al Di Meola, Paco, John McLaughlin, Alan Holdsworth, etc) were "shredding" way before guys like Petrucci, Jason Becker, etc. Even if you look at JP's biography, he credits some influence to Alan Holdsworth and Al Di Meola.

So, no offense, if you haven't heard of them, you need to broaden your "shred" horizons.

PooKoo
05-22-2006, 07:14 PM
fusion basically belongs in here.

curtis loew
05-22-2006, 07:27 PM
i said i might be wrong because i had never heard of them. so please dont flame me because i was asking someone if it was in the wrong forum.

PooKoo
05-22-2006, 07:29 PM
oh im not, i'm just saying so you know.

Im not gonna flame you anymore, dont worry. Besides, you like the crue, so at least i still respect you for that no matter what.

curtis loew
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
thanks, you too. do you have any songs suggestions that i could download and listen to by them. my goal by the end of the summer is to broaden my range of music alot. thanks

PooKoo
05-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Um, anything off of that album, im not into them as much as a lot of people,
mediterrean (sp?) sundance is excellent,
for john mclaughlin try mahuvishnu orchestra stuff, all of its pretty good imo.
Al di meola, i only have one cd, flesh on flesh, but its really good, anything off that is worth listening too.

also check out some greg howe stuff, its a lot like this in that its different from typical rock shred stuff, but still a lot heavier and bluesier then these guys, you might like it.

If you cant find any howe, ill upload a cd for you.

curtis loew
05-22-2006, 07:45 PM
thanks. ill go look for some of that

waylay00
05-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Sorry curtis, didn't mean to be abrasive directly towards you in my post, as it was a general statement about people around here.

But yeah Mediterranean Sundance is great. In my opinion, Al Di Meola's best work comes from his album, "Elegant Gypsy". On this album is "Mediterranean Sundance", but tracks such as "Race With Devil on Spanish Highway" provide a more "shred" rock/electric element.

His album "Kiss My Axe" is another one of my favorites. (more electric/shred, as opposed to acoustic).

However, if you want more of his acoustic/flamenco stuff, looks towards the album "Heart of the Immigrants".

Erc
05-22-2006, 10:40 PM
If you cant find any howe, ill upload a cd for you.

If you would be so kind, upload one for me ^_^

Master Of Shred
05-23-2006, 02:10 AM
This is probably the greatest live perfomance by a guitar trio ever.just amazing.three of the best jazz/fusion and flamenco guitarists in the world.paco de lucia uses just his fingers no pick.freaking amazing.al dimeola n mclaughlin shredding on acoustic guitairs.shame it wasn't recorded on video.

One big NO to that post....

xxdarrenxx
05-23-2006, 04:41 AM
lol it's funny those guys are good but there are lot of times when you watch a vid of them you see they want to outshow each other and sometimes it ends up in a lot of bullcrap like wtf are you playing a solo :P

esp1988
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
check out some of their videos on youtube .even larry coryell is good may b nt as good.

Allegro
05-23-2006, 08:39 AM
One big NO to that post....

Stop being a dick, while im sure your tastes are much more advanced and obviously superior, he is allowed to have an opinion. STFU and GTFO.

Master Of Shred
05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
^lol chill out man :haha

I love McLaughlin, Mahavishnu and Shakti. I don't bash his opinion, or maybe I do, who knows, but my point was that this FNISF is "just" one of their gigs, they are all that good.

And esp1988, speaking of Coryell, he was in the Super Guitar Trio. (with Lagrene and Di Meola) I actually way prefer the Super Guitar Trio over the Guitar Trio, I don't know why, I just do. Maybe it is because I love gypsy/swing style playing, Lagrene that is, and I don't really dig De Luciá's flamenco stuff.

And Allegro mate, about the "much more advanced and obviously superior" music....

If you reckon that Robbie Williams, Counting Crows and Christina Aguilera is "much more advanced and obviously superior" to McLaughlin, I'll eat my shoes and cut of my hair.

Stratwizard
05-23-2006, 10:09 AM
STFU and GTFO.

lol :haha

To stay on the original subject... That album is pretty good. Allthough, I prefer Al Di's solo stuff over the whole FNISF album. Not to mention McLaughlin and Mahavishnu...

In the end, FNISF is not much more than acoustic guitar wankery. :o

PooKoo
05-23-2006, 11:51 AM
If you would be so kind, upload one for me ^_^

of course, ill upload it once i get home and pm you.

Scorzerci
05-23-2006, 03:15 PM
*doesn't have Friday night in san Francisco*
*wink wink*

PooKoo
05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
its in my dads car, but ill get it for ya next time i see him if i can.

Scorzerci
05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
:cheers: Thanks a lot if you can do that

PooKoo
05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
ill try, dunno what kinda shape its in.

Its kind of been in my family since it came out i suppose, my dads a big guitar/jazz/fusion whatever fan so yeah.

Malmsteen07
05-24-2006, 06:10 AM
One of my fav albums of all time. Just ****in awsome. Medditeranean Sundance is by just the best jam ever..... No competition, G3 dont come close in my eyes. The rest of the album is fantastic aswell.
Paco totally shines! Finger picking aswell... GOD. DiMeola and Mcloughlin are of course totally killer as well, tho I'm more partial to DiMeola and Paco. Just an overall sweet Flamenco/Fusion album. LOVE IT.
I don't really rate it for its speed (tho Meola hit 25 or so nps on an acoustic in Sundance...) but it must be said these three were showing how it was done while the 'shredders' where still hunching over their VH1 records.
:peace:

wil
05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
flamenco purists HATE Paco De Lucia--and while i wont go so far as to say i hate him---Friday night is a great album BTW---id suggest checking out Juan Martin-who i had the pleasure of seeing live--who absolutely owns De Lucia.

flamencogod
05-24-2006, 12:28 PM
who absolutely owns De Lucia.

In your opinion ;)

I love that album, sometimes a bit to show-offy but that's alright :p:

Evil_Empire24-7
05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
3 guitar legends meet each other !!!

larry coryell owns

Juicy(J)
05-26-2006, 03:09 AM
I think the album is overrated.
I think your ego is overrated and I will bet my left nut that usually goes into your mothers mouth that u cant even touch those songs.

Resiliance
05-26-2006, 06:04 AM
That's nice.

splice
05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I think your ego is overrated and I will bet my left nut that usually goes into your mothers mouth that u cant even touch those songs.

er....u havent been around very long have u dude

wil
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM

so what if he thinks it's overrated? i'd be inclined to agree with him---the album is a monster-seller, yet in context, i'd say they've all done work that's just as good if not better---sure, listening to Mediterranean(sp??) Sundance is quite exhilerating, but does the crowd noise and cheers on the mix really piss anyone else off?

I don't really think that Resiliance needs defending, but Juicy(J) your response waS completely inappropiate--NO-ONE on this board comes close to the guitar trio, does that mean they're untouchable and we arent allowed to criticise them?? iF so, what a world we live in...

by the way, ive heard Resiliance playing, and he's pretty damn good.

Evil_Empire24-7
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I think your ego is overrated and I will bet my left nut that usually goes into your mothers mouth that u cant even touch those songs.wow wow chill out dude ;)

Scorzerci
05-27-2006, 07:42 AM
*coughresiasskisserscough* ;) :p:

wil
05-27-2006, 07:52 AM
***coughwhatthefuc kareyouonabout**cough**juicyjisaprickwhoneedsputtinginhisplace**cough ;)

Scorzerci
05-27-2006, 08:10 AM
:haha true