blues rock

PDA

View Full Version : blues rock

guns4ever
05-24-2006, 07:41 PM
does anybody know any modern day blues rock bands that would be good to listen to? i love hard rock acts with a blues edge but everything today is nu-metal and emo, and i dont have time to search for the less popular bands out there nowadays, although i know theyre there somewhere.

Stop Messin'
05-24-2006, 07:46 PM
ZZ Top. Probably THE best blues-rock band ever.

ac/guns n zep
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
i dont know if theyre that much blues rock but if you like blues rock bands like acdc and zeppelin then you should check out silvertide

Mr. Raw
check out Turbonegro

jayzim17
Blues Traveler, Gov't Mule, Rose Hill Drive, The Black Crowes...try those on for size

meh!
05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
..Some of Robben fords stuff

Try "a handful of blues" albumn.

yeah, bit weak on the rock link..but it's robben ford so....

em, what about the jeff healey band, gary moore.

TheHeartbreaker
05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't know any new blues-rock bands, except maybe The Derek Trucks Band, The Black Keys, and Gov't Mule, but for some older blues-rock bands try Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, The Allman Brothers Band, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, etc.

tossom
05-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Johnny Winter, Taste, early Sabbath (first two albums), Five Horse Johnson.

Will add more when my brain is working better:cheers:

~1954~
05-25-2006, 11:00 AM
em, what about the jeff healey band

Is it right that jeff Healey is completely blind?

meh!
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Is it right that jeff Healey is completely blind?

yeah, from eye cancer since he was 6

That will be why he plays guitar on his lap.

I'm going to see him in Augast :)

Resiliance
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
A swedish band called Sky High. Awesome stuff.

master
05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
AMERICAN MINOR!! Check them out. Also, stones white stripes, black keys, silvertide, Robben Ford (who is incredible livw by the way), ccr/fogerty....

~AdNy
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know any new blues-rock bands, except maybe The Derek Trucks Band, The Black Keys, and Gov't Mule, but for some older blues-rock bands try Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, The Allman Brothers Band, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, etc.
good call on a few of those. if your after a more southern-blues-rock, go wtih skynyrd, maybe SRV, if your comparing it to some types of blues. for a more modern rock inspired aproach, Govt Mule is the way to go (though obviously southern inspired too). for a little of everything, Derek Trucks Band all the way. ZZ Top for texas/swing blues. all good stuff, check them all out.

EDIT: ^American Minor, that band JUST added me on myspace, they actually do kick ass. a LOT like govt mule, too. good stuff.

tossom
05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Kamchatka - www.myspace.com/kamchatkasweden

Good Swedish blues/rock band - kind of like Robin Trower.

tossom
05-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Fug me, nobody has mentioned "Free" yet...

Free - check them out!

The Master Plan
05-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Joe Bonamassa.

FunkedUp
05-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Definitely the Black Keys, White Stripes (first 3 albums especially - 'The white Stripes', 'De Stijl' and 'White Blood Cells') and Black Crowes, but also the 22-20s, named after the Skip James song, (broke up this year after making just one live EP, '05-03' and one album, '22-20s') who were in my opinion the best blues-oriented band of the last thirty years. You might also like the Dirtbombs, the Mooney Suzuki and the BellRays, all a bit more rock'n'soul, but the Mooney Suzuki definitely bluesy. Two older bands - Humble Pie and Foghat, and Rory Gallagher if you don't him already

TheHeartbreaker
05-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Fug me, nobody has mentioned "Free" yet...

Free - check them out!

:cry:

How did I forget about Free?!

:cry:

AxeAbuser#2
05-27-2006, 08:46 AM
gary moore ;)

Stinging_Acid
05-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Definately Gov't Mule

TNfootballfan62
05-27-2006, 08:23 PM
There are a lot of good suggestions in here, but i must disagree with those who have suggested the White Stripes............just my opinion.

IrishBlues
05-27-2006, 09:52 PM
^ I agree ... dont want to start an argument but I dont consider them blues AT ALL.

TNfootballfan62
05-27-2006, 09:56 PM
^^^:cheers: ............enough said, i wont start insulting Jack White, lol.

IrishBlues
05-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah Rolling Stones magazine placed him as 17 on the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Buddy Guy was 30 ... :mad:

~AdNy
05-27-2006, 11:12 PM
1. Hendrix
2. Duane
3. BB
4. Clapton

:cheers: from there the list goes south.

TNfootballfan62
05-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah Rolling Stones magazine placed him as 17 on the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Buddy Guy was 30 ... :mad:

Well, i think its pretty much the consensus that Rolling Stone Magazine is a piece of crap.

IrishBlues
05-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Ill go with that. :D

FunkedUp
05-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Personally, I'd say stay WELL clear of SRV and Gary Moore

AxeAbuser#2
05-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Personally, I'd say stay WELL clear of SRV and Gary Moore

dude? wtf? are you serious, they are two great guitar players and you say stay away from them? im shocked :confused:

TNfootballfan62
05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm confused about that, too.

pUrPlE_hAzE
05-29-2006, 12:35 AM
ash grunwald... hes a one man band and really good

FunkedUp
05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm confused about that, too.
I just don't like the fact that they play(ed in SRV's case) such cheesy, uninventive wailing that has no rawness and, in my opinion, no soul. That's just my opinion; they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - I don't listen to music because of the technical skill involved in its making, and with guitarists such as the two aforementioned, that's all I hear, quite apart from the fact that it's horribly clichéd, and to me sounds far more dated already than anything recorded by Johnny Shines, Jimmy Reed...the list goes on. Anyway, I like expression, rawness and dirtiness in my music and I don't hear that in this kind of thing (by which I mean guitarists like the 2 aforementioned, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang, occasionally even Clapton - I'm sure you get my drift). That AND I'm not a fan of the strat. But that's just my taste, as I said

TNfootballfan62
05-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I just don't like the fact that they play(ed in SRV's case) such cheesy, uninventive wailing that has no rawness and, in my opinion, no soul. That's just my opinion; they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - I don't listen to music because of the technical skill involved in its making, and with guitarists such as the two aforementioned, that's all I hear, quite apart from the fact that it's horribly clichéd, and to me sounds far more dated already than anything recorded by Johnny Shines, Jimmy Reed...the list goes on. Anyway, I like expression, rawness and dirtiness in my music and I don't hear that in this kind of thing (by which I mean guitarists like the 2 aforementioned, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang, occasionally even Clapton - I'm sure you get my drift). That I'm not a fan of the strat. But that's just my taste, as I said

Then the two of us completely disagree, lol. Everything that you dont hear in SRV's music comes out loud and clear to me. Specifically soul. You can play fast and have technical skill and still have soul. (just ask the shredders :p: ) I hear tons of soul and passion in Stevie Ray Vaughan's music. :( Expression.....quite evident in SRV's music, to me. Rawness and dirtiness........you may have something there, but Texas Flood, in my opinion, was a very raw album. His later albums were a bit more polished, yes, but thats something that comes with experience and time spent in the studio.

EDIT: And the strat thing should have nothing to do with your opinion of a guitar players soul, expression, etc.

distilledspirit
05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
That's actually a hard question (well, for me anyway). Because so many bands today have totally gone maintream and forgotten the blues. The solos (if any) today are also fading from the world of rock n' roll. Believe me, some of the stuff out there is very good, but I think we'd all like to see a band bring back pure blues.

TNfootballfan62
05-29-2006, 11:05 AM
^^^There are bands out there that play the blues, they just aren't mainstream. Do i want to see a mainstream band play the blues? No. The last thing i want is for every punk 13 year old running around that listens to whatever's popular to make the blues his next fad.

AxeAbuser#2
05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
^^^There are bands out there that play the blues, they just aren't mainstream. Do i want to see a mainstream band play the blues? No. The last thing i want is for every punk 13 year old running around that listens to whatever's popular to make the blues his next fad.

exactly, very good point mate.

Kryptonite_0194
05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't know if they're allowed to be called blues rock, but I reckon Danko Jones tend to play a bit?

TheHeartbreaker
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
That's actually a hard question (well, for me anyway). Because so many bands today have totally gone maintream and forgotten the blues. The solos (if any) today are also fading from the world of rock n' roll. Believe me, some of the stuff out there is very good, but I think we'd all like to see a band bring back pure blues.

I'd just like to see a band bring back good music. There's a lot of bands that are new and that are very talented, but they're less known to people because they aren't just in the music for the money.

And I agree with TNfootballfan62 - it's one thing if someone is able to "bring blues back", but it's totally different if they're some piece of **** talentless person who thinks that by playing the blues they can appeal to people like us who know what we're talking about and in that effort try and get our money by us buying their CDs.

~AdNy
05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
but they're less known to people because they aren't just in the music for the money.
and thats where the line is drawn between rock stars and musicians. blues guitarists have always been musicians about the music, about their roots and about playing with soul. thats where "pop" music loses its substance, in its lack of creative fluidity, and its restrictions of popular taste.

TheHeartbreaker
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
^^Yeah, like I'm tired of seeing actors and actresses experiment with singing even though they can't, and they end up becoming huge pop stars. Then their siblings get record deals to because they're related to a famous person.

FunkedUp
05-29-2006, 04:11 PM
EDIT: And the strat thing should have nothing to do with your opinion of a guitar players soul, expression, etc.

See my edit (I meant to say 'AND I'm not a fan of the strat' as an addition). It doesn't have anything to do with whether I think he has soul or not - Hendrix is, to me, the embodiment of playing with feeling and he played a strat - I just usually (Hendrix is an obvious exception) don't like listening to music played on a strat because I don't like the typical strat tone and more often than not, whether or not by coincidence, I just don't like the music being played on strats.

The Master Plan
05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Rory Gallagher

TNfootballfan62
05-29-2006, 11:03 PM
See my edit (I meant to say 'AND I'm not a fan of the strat' as an addition). It doesn't have anything to do with whether I think he has soul or not - Hendrix is, to me, the embodiment of playing with feeling and he played a strat - I just usually (Hendrix is an obvious exception) don't like listening to music played on a strat because I don't like the typical strat tone and more often than not, whether or not by coincidence, I just don't like the music being played on strats.

I understand, i just think the guitar that's used should be kept completely out of the question b/c its irrelevant. Robert Johnson had nothing more than an old beat up acoustic, and im not sure anyone can match the soul in that music. :peace: :cheers:

FunkedUp
05-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Again, I disagree; as I said before, I am not saying that the guitar has anything to do with the guitarist's playing (soul, expression etc.), I just don't like the sound usually produced by stratocasters. If I don't like a guitarist's tone, I'm not going to enjoy their music. Guitarists like RJ, I'm sure you'll agree, trancscended tone, mainly because in those days it barely existed - you had the option of single-, two- or three-cone (or none, like Johnson), 6-string or 12-string, and that was more or less it!! Anyways, as far as Stevie Ray Vaughn goes, agree to disagree?

TNfootballfan62
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
^^^Eh, i love SRV's tone, and the strat tone, for that matter. (which is why i own one) But yea, I'll agree to disagree. This conversation in any other forum would have turned into a nasty flame fest. :cheers: for keeping it civil, lol.

IrishBlues
05-30-2006, 08:36 PM
SRV Tone :liplick:

FunkedUp
05-31-2006, 05:43 AM
Too true:cheers:John Lee Hooker inspired me to get a Sheraton II, that's more my bag

TNfootballfan62
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
^^^I've been thinking about picking up some kind of Epi semi-hollowbody. I love John Lee Hooker, too.

tinoynk
06-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Cream! Cream! And More Cream!

rocknroll blues
06-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I just don't like the fact that they play(ed in SRV's case) such cheesy, uninventive wailing that has no rawness and, in my opinion, no soul. That's just my opinion; they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - I don't listen to music because of the technical skill involved in its making, and with guitarists such as the two aforementioned, that's all I hear, quite apart from the fact that it's horribly clichéd, and to me sounds far more dated already than anything recorded by Johnny Shines, Jimmy Reed...the list goes on. Anyway, I like expression, rawness and dirtiness in my music and I don't hear that in this kind of thing (by which I mean guitarists like the 2 aforementioned, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang, occasionally even Clapton - I'm sure you get my drift). That AND I'm not a fan of the strat. But that's just my taste, as I said

:cheers:

I'm on your side on this one.

But back to the original question, modern blues-rock bands:

The White Stripes (especially first three albums, as was mentioned)
The Black Keys
The Gibson Brothers
The Soledad Brothers
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
The Black Crowes
Gov't Mule
John Mayer Trio (personally, I don't like him at all, but someone else may, and he does play his own brand of blues, so he deserves a mention)
Derek Trucks Band (I feel the same about him as I do JMT)

Those are strictly blues-rock bands, but if you like you can PM me and I'll give you a list of good modern bands that owe a lot to classic rock, which I take it you probably enjoy. It's sort of become my mission to find modern bands that are actually good, and there are in fact quite a few.

The Fender
06-17-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah, well, my band is a blues rock band, check us out, and have a listen...hope you like us...

myspace.com/beautifulconniption

WyldeGibsonPlyr
06-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Joe Bonamassa.

Those + Indigenous and Chris Duarte. And you have the blues-rock Vaughanabee's of today. :D

(They all own so much).

EDIT: Woah, I think I just read that someone said Stevie Ray put no soul in his music. Sir, I think you need a new set of ears. Its fine to not dig someone, or there music, but dont state something that is not true. Dont tell me Stevie has no soul or emotion.

tinoynk
06-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Canned Heat and John Mayall