80's hair metal style?

PDA

View Full Version : 80's hair metal style?

6nikki-nine9
05-25-2006, 02:56 AM
ok so hi, im new here anyways

ive always had this obbsesion with 80's hair metal and heavy metal some of my favorite bands are
motely crue, poison, skid row, def leppard, telsa, to black sabbath, iron maiden, guns n roses, so on and so forth

what my question was, is there like a special formula or somthing to make a hair metal song? i mean i look at my favorites and have no idea how they pulled that outa there A$$ and ill try to make somthing but whenever i make a song its either punk, power pop, or somthing that sounds close to RHCP, and the solo's are also insane too are there certain scales? and thanks in advance

METSOAD
05-25-2006, 03:04 AM
not really and all solos have scales, usually minor pentatonic. But if your songs sound like rhcp it cant all be bad

6nikki-nine9
05-25-2006, 03:13 AM
well its not bad, but im starting up a heavy metal hair metal band, kinda like boarder line hair metal, like guns n roses, and i cant make a good heavy metal song, i mean i love RHCP but i dont wanna be a clone of them, im trying to bring back heavy metal, im really sick of this hardcore and death metal stuff, and i thought it was gonna die a long time ago

Muggus
05-25-2006, 03:26 AM
I think the key is distorted guitar riffs, catchy hooks, falsetto vocals, simple and dodgy lyrics about sex/drugs/rock 'n roll, and long winded fast paced guitar solos.

Get yourself a pair of leather pants, a bandana, some studded wristbands, and the rest should come naturally.

6nikki-nine9
05-25-2006, 03:37 AM
lol the sad thing is i own those things, cant forget the featherd hair and eyeliner, maybe i should get totaly trashed and just pick upa guitar and a tape recorder and mess around, im pretty sure thats how the masters did it lol,

Izz
05-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Do your band want to do this too? I've found it kinda hard to find 4 or 5 that has the same style. I'm into hairmetal too and if you wanna hear todays hairmetal search for some Crashdiet. Swedish slezeband, very nice.
Good luck anyway

SuburbanCowboy
05-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Crappy, digital-sounding drums will help too

Resiliance
05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
^Pff, not at all, just some kickass drum delay.

Evil_Empire24-7
05-25-2006, 01:47 PM
and don't forget to put a load of make-up.

splice
05-25-2006, 02:04 PM
spandex

curtis loew
05-25-2006, 02:31 PM
leather on fire, and cups that shoot sparks

rockergurl09
05-26-2006, 06:52 PM
ok so hi, im new here anyways

ive always had this obbsesion with 80's hair metal and heavy metal some of my favorite bands are
motely crue, poison, skid row, def leppard, telsa, to black sabbath, iron maiden, guns n roses, so on and so forth

what my question was, is there like a special formula or somthing to make a hair metal song? i mean i look at my favorites and have no idea how they pulled that outa there A$$ and ill try to make somthing but whenever i make a song its either punk, power pop, or somthing that sounds close to RHCP, and the solo's are also insane too are there certain scales? and thanks in advance

I've found that when I'm writing songs, I sound like whatever band I listened to most recently. So just listen to your hair metal more and practice enough that you have the ability to play a lot of their songs.

HammettHead
05-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, I always want to play stuff that sounds like Metallica or Megadeth - Good Ole Thrash Metal. But when I get down to writing riffs I can't do anything that doesn't sound bluesy.

Matt_Malmsteen
05-28-2006, 02:20 PM
The best way to achieve been a good hair metal band is hanging out on the sunset strip, wearing spandex and tight leather, back combing your hair, using loads of hairspray and stuff like that..also search up a film called "Trick Or Treat" and take notes from that, if you band agrees wear make-up as well.

For the music, you need to have loads of guitar tracks ala Def leppard and Motley Crue to an extent, on top of that you need to do trem abuse like most hair metal bands....aside from that just try and see what scales and chords etc they stick to and work on that.

xxdarrenxx
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
:cool: :cool: cheerfull over the top riffs like slam a power akkoord and do a falsetto scream on top.

you have 2 version's You either have the:

over-the-top-slam-the-chord-scream-and-shiver-(i got attitude) Style

Or the:

Let's-make-a-ballad-which is very-sad-but-beautifull-and-****-every-chick-afterwards
Style

It's the kind of music which is very easy to make once you feel how to get the attitude of it, and rest is just technical stuff in pentatonics; whammy bar dives, as long as it sound cool and has atitude. :no: :devil: :liplick: :peace: :cool:

TheUltimateSin
06-01-2006, 07:52 AM
The best way to achieve been a good hair metal band is hanging out on the sunset strip, wearing spandex and tight leather, back combing your hair, using loads of hairspray and stuff like that..also search up a film called "Trick Or Treat" and take notes from that, if you band agrees wear make-up as well.

Take notes from the movie that depicts Ozzy as a preacher? :p:

But that movie was pretty good......only based on it's theme. Digging any deeper is dangerous territory.

TheUltimateSin
06-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Ok...so since my computer is being gay, I have to so this in two posts because it won't let me edit my other one without freezing :(

@threadstarter- 2 words: Whammy Bar :)

ok...so maybe there might be a little more to it than that......

Tony67
06-02-2006, 01:55 AM
I loved seeing Poison on playboy's website. They got all their groupies to take their tops off. So jaelous of those guy they get the most smokin' groupies. I bet they got a lot of you know what form those nice gals.

curtis loew
06-02-2006, 07:42 AM
what does that have to do with 80 hairmetal style? nothing

bangoodcharlote
06-02-2006, 03:37 PM
As far as lyrics go, just write what you think will get you a BJ after the show. :)

Izz
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Poison sucks really. There are a lot better hair-metal. Poison is just a disgrace to pure hair-metal...

curtis loew
06-03-2006, 05:07 PM
i agree. all they sing about is how they are trying to live the " rock n' roll " lifestyle of the eighties. unlike most of the early bands that actually lived it.

Tony67
06-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Metal is where it's at. I never liked grunge and still don't. Why sing about your problems when everyone has problems. Groups like Skid Row knew how to have fun. Sebastian Bach rules!

curtis loew
06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
yea.........

apocalypse13
06-05-2006, 10:34 PM
When writing, keep in mind the point of the music:

To get laid by as many chicks as possible.

curtis loew
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
When writing, keep in mind the point of the music:

To get laid by as many chicks as possible.
actually, just make that a priority all the time

apocalypse13
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
:D yep