Gather Round Children...

PDA

View Full Version : Gather Round Children...

Derigiberble
05-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Gather round children and allow me to introduce to you a genus of music that I guarantee 95% of you will never have even heard and yet all of you will be impressed by. A long long time ago (long before star wars or Don McLean) two young boys were born streets apart by the names of Jerry Reed Hubbard and Elvis Aron Presley. These two boys grew up together, exploring the roots of blues and country music in the hope that they would become successful musicians. Of course, eventually they went there seperate musical ways, and it is the prior of the the two, Jerry Reed, to whom i wish to discuss with you. After playing guitar from a very young age, Jerry became locally famous as one of the best finger-picking guitarists around. To this day, he is heralded by most guitarists in that genre as the best in the world (this may seem like a bold statement but im genuinly serious). Jerry was to partner up with another avid young guitarist by the name of Chet Atkins and the genre of Country-Jazz was born. Undoubtably one of if not THE most difficult playing styles, the composition of these songs, and in particular the improvisation featured on them was renowned as sensational.

Seen as nobody ever seems to talk about this style, or the incredible skill needed to play it, I figured i'd introduce you all.

Jerry Reed & Chet Akins - Cannonball Rag (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0008B7F03D771957)

This link is only available for 7 days, so download now or search for more yourself.

:cheers:

Resiliance
05-26-2006, 07:10 AM
This "genre" reminds me very much of gypsy jazz.

<3 gypsy.

Derigiberble
05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
This "genre" reminds me very much of gypsy jazz.

<3 gypsy.

Of course its not completely original, it takes influences from all over the shop, blues, jazz, country all sorts.

Jerry was incredibly talented.

fronkpies
05-26-2006, 07:35 AM
I love chet atkins.

I'll have to get some more of this Jerry reed fellow.

Derigiberble
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
I love chet atkins.

I'll have to get some more of this Jerry reed fellow.

70% of his music is country bumf worth ignoring, kinda like Chets elevator music albums, but the albums they made together were unbelievable.

FunkedUp
05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
He also played Snowman in 'Smokey and the Bandit' and recorded the theme tune. Genius

Derigiberble
05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
He also played Snowman in 'Smokey and the Bandit' and recorded the theme tune. Genius

BEST
FILM
EVER

Burpin'Worm
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Kinda makes me want to fondle my sister.

That song I enjoyed a lot, the kind of thing you can just sit and listen to over and over it's so intricate. I'd never heard of Jerry Reed before.

duncang
05-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Kinda makes me want to fondle my sister.

What doesn't for you, eh?

Derigiberble
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Alright I figured I'd upload another couple of my favourite tracks done by these guys.

Jerry Reed & Chet Atkins - Stump Water (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BCAC91FD437A43F0)

Jerry Reed & Chet Atkins - Jerry's Breakdown (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C88073FC62EB92B3)

Resiliance
05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
^You might want to check out Eric Johnson's tribute to him on "Bloom".

Derigiberble
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
^You might want to check out Eric Johnson's tribute to him on "Bloom".

Thanks I quite like EJ so i'll check it out.

:cheers:

smokeebunny
05-30-2006, 05:40 AM
i have dial up so i cant listen to these, i have a fairly large collection of Chet Atkins stuff, and i can honestly say chet plays some of the most beutiful stuff i have listen to, is jerry reed similar, because if it is, ill take your word for it and buy one of his records

another country player worth checking out is Bert Weedon

Derigiberble
05-30-2006, 11:18 AM
If you're gonna buy a record, buy the albums they made together

"Chet and me, Jerry and me"

Great stuff.