cream

PDA

View Full Version : cream

get-born
05-27-2006, 09:15 AM
does anyone else here love there bluesy stuff as much as i do? clapton is a great guitarist, jack bruce's bass lines are incredible, and ginger is a great drummer, im getting disrelli gears today, and was wondering what you guys think of the album and cream in general,

and on a side note, whats the UGblues mafia?

otherkid
05-27-2006, 09:41 AM
hey i love this band because of them i listen to the classic stuff i do and casue of them i did a year long project on Clapton

ya i bought there 20th century masters cd for mi dad i ended up listening to it more

Wylde
05-27-2006, 09:41 AM
the first album was a bit more bluesy... but either way they were never limited to just the blues they were a psychodelic rocking bluesy trio, they kicked ass, wise decision

get-born
05-27-2006, 09:46 AM
there just so talented...

IrishBlues
05-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Buy the Cream Reunion Tour they released. In my opinion they are better on that then they have ever been. The highlight is definately Stormy Monday.

Wylde
05-27-2006, 11:52 AM
oh no way... those were some rather lifeless performances if you ask me... get the bbc sessions!!!

TNfootballfan62
05-27-2006, 03:57 PM
and on a side note, whats the UGblues mafia?

Well, it's a blues club here on UG. Sadly, im just about the only member of it that comes around here much anymore. If you are interested in information on where a lot of us now post, PM me. ;)

~AdNy
05-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Buy the Cream Reunion Tour they released. In my opinion they are better on that then they have ever been. The highlight is definately Stormy Monday.
yeah dude, taht concert album owns. disreali gears, also an amazing album. i was lucky enough to see them when they came to New York last year. 3 absolutely INCREDIBLE musicians, great band.

Sprice
05-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Wheels of Fire i thought was my favorite

and I think of Cream as the First ever Supergroup

TheHeartbreaker
05-29-2006, 12:51 PM
According to Jack and Ginger, they weren't just a blues or psychedelic band, but rather a jazz band - they just never told Eric.

thetearsibleed
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
cream is amazing, the albert hall dvd is excellent, and iif you like cream also check out
Derek and the Dominoes album Layla and other assorted love songs

clapton IS god

Duv
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
disraeli gears is a good album i especially like sunshine of course and outside woman blues

TheHeartbreaker
06-03-2006, 07:35 PM
cream is amazing, the albert hall dvd is excellent, and iif you like cream also check out

clapton IS god

To be honest, I think Derek and the Dominos was Eric's best band. Even though they put out only one studio album, one live album (missing Duane Allman), and a CD containing a few jams, everything they made was absolutely awesome.

skydogzoso1986
06-04-2006, 03:01 AM
i agree on that TheHeartbreaker, it's just a perfect match between duane allman and eric clapton, just incredible musicians on that album. it's one of my favorite albums ever, i think how clapton puts his emotions into his work is absolutely fantastic and i haven't seen many other musicians in a way he did it. wasn't derek and the dominos working on a new album with new songs? but eventually they ended falling apart because of clapton's heroin addiction

fronkpies
06-04-2006, 05:21 AM
How can you not like cream?

disraeli gears and wheels of fire are great albums.

thetearsibleed
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
^ those are great...i just spent 2 hours watching the albert hall dvds while playing along...oh dam there amazing

ledhed68
06-04-2006, 10:50 AM
if you like the bluesier stuff, get fresh cream, wheels of fire and disraeli grears are more psycadelia, and goodbye is more pop than the other albums

zxZoSoxz
06-05-2006, 09:11 AM

clapton IS god

Derek and The Dominoes is almost nothing like Cream, it's an entirely different setup (not a trio) and Eric's moved to his Strat by then (I'm pretty sure). He's also singing, which tends to make his playing less expressive. He used to only be able to express himself through guitar, but now he can also sing. Whathaveyou.
I really don't like that album that much. Most of it is good, but at times it gets too watered down, overproduced, or somewhat uninspired, if you ask me.
Cream is alot better I think.

and the RAH DVD is very different from their original stuff. I don't like it as much. You really can't play Cream without Clapton's 60's era setup. Even if you are Clapton.
Cream isn't Cream without the "woman tone".

IrishBlues
06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Even though I love Layla and other assorted loved songs i do prefer Cream. I was always partial to the smaller bands becuase its more raw. When Clapton has a bigger band behind him he seems to play less, where as in Cream it was just him on guitar and he played with more feeling.

As far as Clapton's tone, I absolutely loved the sound he got on RAH. During Layla he was using Brownie, his strat, and I don't really care for the very high trebbley sound. During the 60s his woman tone was great but I think the sound he got during the Reunion Tour is the greatest tone Ive ever heard. Stormy Monday was just amazing.

-AliceCooper
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
To be honest, I think Derek and the Dominos was Eric's best band. Even though they put out only one studio album, one live album (missing Duane Allman), and a CD containing a few jams, everything they made was absolutely awesome.

i have to disagree, i think cream overall is a better band, i think clapton was better with derek and the dominos, but overall i like creams bluesy style better...

TNfootballfan62
06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Even though I love Layla and other assorted loved songs i do prefer Cream. I was always partial to the smaller bands becuase its more raw. When Clapton has a bigger band behind him he seems to play less, where as in Cream it was just him on guitar and he played with more feeling.

This also shows with Clapton's current set up. With all those guys backing Clapton up, he just kind of lays back and his solos seem a bit uninspired.

hardrock1315
06-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I got to see the reunion at MSG...:D

skydogzoso1986
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
i feel the same about that thing. he didn't really push it to concentrate on his guitar when he's singing. he depends on the work of doyle and trucks, i can't blame him for doing that, but i guess the days of being a guitar god ended when he decided to concentrate on his singing and lyrics. since then, he started playing with more guitarists onstage and he probably feels more comfortable now with one on his side

cadmium_blimp
06-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Does anybody know if there are any plans to release the MSG footage?

Vagabond21
03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Can anyone tell me what setup clapton used while in cream? Especially on the songs white room and crossroads...

TNfootballfan62
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
^I'm not completely sure, but as far as i know, he liked Gibson guitars such as Les Paul and ES-335s through Marshall amps.

Carswell98
03-07-2008, 06:25 PM
^I'm not completely sure, but as far as i know, he liked Gibson guitars such as Les Paul and ES-335s through Marshall amps.

don't forget the fool

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/clapton_files/ClaptonFool_small.jpg

as far as cream, he used a les paul, when it was stolen he got an es-335 and he switched between the 335 on the fool after that

ECistheBest
03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
^clapton left the les paul and a marshall combo in greece.

TNfootballfan62
03-07-2008, 06:29 PM
^^:cheers:

ze monsta
03-08-2008, 06:33 AM
My brother saw them at The Albert Hall in 2005.
He paid 350 ($700) from a tout.

I love Cream, though I strangely don't like the bluesy stuff very much. I'm far more inclined to songs like Wrapping Paper and I Feel Free, rather than Crossroads.

Carswell98
03-08-2008, 06:54 AM
^ I am very jealous of your brother, I like it all myself, my favorite is their version of "Sitting on Top of the World"

^clapton left the les paul and a marshall combo in greece.

oh ok, I'm probably mixing stories up again, that happens a lot :(

gopherthegreat
03-08-2008, 04:23 PM
they are amazing. my favorite cream song is probably badge.

Skirvy
03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
did they only play crossroads live and have live recordings, or is there a studio version?

gopherthegreat
03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
did they only play crossroads live and have live recordings, or is there a studio version?
i think theres only the live version

imgooley
03-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Cream is one of the few bands that I will listen to when I am too drunk and still understand what the hell is going on.