Alt/Indie BOTM: The Smiths

PDA

View Full Version : Alt/Indie BOTM: The Smiths

Pages : [1] 2 3

eddie_hazel
05-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Excuse the ambitious title, but at least its attention grabbing. I wanted some views from all the UGer's out there as to what they thought/think of The Smiths, particularly Morriseys voice,are they Over-rated/Under-rated? Best work? Lasting contribution?

And when/where/if ever is it appropriate to cover one of their songs or will the poignancy and brilliance of Morriseys lyrics 99% pass over the average drunk pub/club go-er's head and be deemed "too serious"?

Personally, I think Morrisey is one of the greatest songwriters, certainly in a lyrical sense, of the past 50 years. And I think as a vocalist he has a wonderful voice.

Well if your a Smiths fan and you are as bored as I am hopefully replies will ensue.

civildp1
05-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Morrisey is number 3 on my most hated list.

haz_uk
05-29-2006, 04:16 AM
never really been a fan of the smiths, and when i saw morrisey live in 2004 - it put the icing on the cake.

dire, imo.

louis p
05-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Like em, but i prefer the jam.

j0nmcc
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I love the Smiths. I hate Morrissey.

frodoisdead
05-29-2006, 12:24 PM
i really don't like morrissey.

i dislike his voice and i haven't gotten into the smiths for this reason.

over rated in my opinion..

Abe
05-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Morrissey has a very easily hateable voice.

Maybe take comfort in the fact that they have the best song titles since the Beatles, but few of their songs really grab me like the titles - What Difference Does it Make probably being one of the only tunes I really like.

Biggs
05-29-2006, 08:46 PM
As far as I am concerned, The Smiths are an awesome band, and quite posibly one of the best since the beatles. To be honest, I'd rank them as third best behind Pink Floyd and Led Zep (excluding the beatles).

Morrissey's lyrics, especially during his time with The Smiths speak to me like no other lyrics ever have before. I find the guy to be a massive inspiration. Also, I look ayt Johnny Marr and I feel he is most probably the most underrated guitarist ever.

Perhaps the most underrated part of the asmiths is the bass and drums...the bass in 'This Charming Man', for example, is amazing, and keeps the song feeling bouncy...for lack of better word.

In my opinion, lyrically, and musically, the Smiths are one of the best bands to come around in years.

EDIT: To the thread starter, I agree with your views.

coopertempleman
05-29-2006, 09:59 PM
I love The Smiths, but I like the Mozfather's solo stuff better. It just appeals to me more.
But The Smiths were how I got into him, so it doesn't really matter, I love them both.
The best Smiths album was Meat Is Murder. But that's just one thing. I believe The Smiths were the most important band since The Jam, lyrically and musically.
Andy Rourke was the best bassist of the new wave era, bar Bruce Foxton.

mrFood
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I like the Smiths a lot, and I never seem to hear anything about them, so I guess I'd say underrated. Best English band since the Beatles? Def. not.

public_witness
05-30-2006, 01:47 AM
hes a great writer and an annoying singer. smiths are cool.

lo fi nights
05-30-2006, 11:52 AM
im down with the smiths, moz i just enjoi watching his decade long death rattle

tpen892004
05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
dont agree

i think radiohead

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
05-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't really know how a band can be considered 'the best'. I really like Morrisey's lyrics, although some are self-abosrbed and somewhat pretentious. Morrisey's voice is awful, IMO. The real talent lies within Marr and the jangling guitar pop he created. The Smiths would have been nothing without him. Meat is Murder was a pretty bad album though, in particular the failed protest of the title track. They probably rank with Led Zeppelin as the most influential British band since the Beatles.

MEmmett
05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
The Smiths are great, Morrissey is just a bitter old so and so, plus his solo stff is terrible. Also, he didn't turn up to the Isle of Wight festival a year or so ago. That maddened me.

They arent the best British band since Beatles.
They arent even the best British band from Manchester - that one goes to Joy Division.

i_strum_i_drum
05-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I love The Smiths but have never listened to Morrissey.

FreedomFighter
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
The Smiths are simply amazing.

His lyrics.
The chiming guitars.

Amazing.

sponj
05-30-2006, 05:22 PM
it really depends on the songs. but i don't like them muck, i do like there's a light...

i mean how annoying his voice is

iamjosh
05-30-2006, 08:45 PM
the smiths were really great.
don't ask me to decide please.
i don't even know if i could decide between the smiths and joy division, much less the smiths, joy division and the beatles!

and for the record, morrisey is nothing without the rest of the smiths.

Caustic
05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
I really love The Smiths, and Morrisseys voice.
But damn, his solo work pisses me off. He's become so damn self-righteous and irritating.

jtgotsjets
05-31-2006, 11:24 PM
i kind of hate the smiths. mopey rock kind of sucks.

i do like the song "girlfriend in a coma" but that's mostly because of mojo nixon's cover of it

y2james2005
06-01-2006, 06:09 AM
blur, oasis, the verve, radiohead....

are all better imo!

*Truly Ninja*
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
you either worhsip morrissey/smiths or hate him/them

im on the worship side.

HarmlessLilF*ck
06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
^The Verve better than The Smiths? You're having a laugh!
Love The Smiths, don't really like Morrisey's solo stuff. Favourite song is You've Got Everything Now.

onlyonehere
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
*shrug* boring. I don't like them.

fronkpies
06-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Overrated, boring and morrisey is a tit.

DogWithoutABone
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Very overated and his voice is annoying.

StuartR
06-04-2006, 02:41 PM
The Smiths are simply amazing.

agreed

RockNNotToRoll
06-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Morrissey is probably my favourite vocalist, by a long way :p:

I don't know how anyone finds him depressing though, I think he's got such a sense of humour that's so evident in so many of his songs.

Smiths (espicially the lesser known stuff) and his solo stuff is incredible. Best band since The Beatles? Maybe, I think Radiohead are stiff competition for that title too.

ShaneTheMan
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
I would have to say Radiohead as the top contender easily!

oblique
06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
I like them, not a huge fan though. Johnny Marr definitely wrote some great songs and had a cool style of playing.

sirpsycho85
06-08-2006, 08:52 PM
no certainly not the best since the beatles, but fantastic anyhow. i'm never not in the mood to listen to the queen is dead, and especially cemetry gates.

mattlock
06-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I love Morrissey's songwriting style. It's so cynical and ironic. The Smiths are better than his solo, IMO.

scoob666
06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't know how anyone finds him depressing though, I think he's got such a sense of humour that's so evident in so many of his songs.
Unfortunately, the irony is completely lost on many, particularly with the American audience. I think if you look up irony in an American dictionary it's defined as "kind of like metal".

thepickups
06-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Answer to the title-

Of course not.

sponj
06-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, the irony is completely lost on many, particularly with the American audience. I think if you look up irony in an American dictionary it's defined as "kind of like metal". :haha

dead_kennedy
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
morrissey and the smiths are both equally amazing.

im a sucker for mozza.

'england for the english....'

indierock1
06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
the smiths are the best band since the beatles, no questions. morrissey solo is good

music too (thet are still not BETTER than the beatles)

Gambit
06-13-2006, 07:51 AM
I didn't like the smiths until a few weeks ago, 'There is a light' came on VH2, and I was like, this is awesome, so I immediately went out and bought The Queen Is Dead, now I would definately consider them one of the core british bands ever. The thing that I hate thogh, although it's not their fault, is the hundreds of crap, generic indy bands theyv'e spwaned, especially ones that have come out in the last few years.

Don't like Mozza's solo stuff though, I find him overly mopy, and he moans to much, theres nothing wrong with the songs, but I just hate him.

McClean05
06-13-2006, 08:01 AM
the smiths are the best band since the beatles, no questions. morrissey solo is good

music too (thet are still not BETTER than the beatles)

Correction: Oasis are the best band since the Beatles . . .

NicktheGreek
06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Love them. Morrissey is the man ffs.

lp345
06-15-2006, 12:12 PM
The Smiths are great, Morrissey is just a bitter old so and so, plus his solo stff is terrible. Also, he didn't turn up to the Isle of Wight festival a year or so ago. That maddened me.

They arent the best British band since Beatles.
They arent even the best British band from Manchester - that one goes to Joy Division.

yeah Joy divison rule, great to c another JD fan!

stratstrummer40
06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Id love to start listening to this band, what are some of there better songs?

lukef
06-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Fantastic fantastic fantasic fantastic.

I'd rather listen to the Smiths than the Beatles.

scoob666
06-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Id love to start listening to this band, what are some of there better songs?
Just get Louder Than Bombs, it's a compilation of singles and B-sides and it's bloody great.

If you want specifics though:
How Soon Is Now?
I Know It's Over
This Charming Man
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Is It Really So Strange?
Hand In Glove
Panic
The Queen Is Dead
Handsome Devil
Bigmouth Strikes Again
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Pretty Girls Make Graves
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

stratstrummer40
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
^ sweeet, thanks man, ill check that out.

StuartR
06-17-2006, 02:27 PM
^You'd be better to get the actual 'Singles' album or if you wanna buy a real album get the self titled.

Correction: Oasis are the best band since the Beatles . . .

Oasis are pish.

bobjewell87
06-17-2006, 02:29 PM
only recently started getting into this band. genuinely brilliant

coldplay_88
06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Radiohead is defenitely the best band since the beatles

FreedomFighter
06-18-2006, 07:21 AM
The Beatles and Radiohead are worlds apart, but are still amazing bands.

Who cares who the best Band? It's ****ing music, The Beatles have left an unbeatable legacy.

AssortedLunatic
06-19-2006, 12:36 AM
not the best british since beatles.

ENDORSE
06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
I think the best brittish band since The Beatles have got to be The Stone Roses, they do everything for me. The Second Comming i think is just as good as there first album.
I really hate both Morrisey and The Smiths..

lvad48
06-25-2006, 06:32 PM
I second the Stone Roses though i think new order could well be up there

curtis uck
06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
radiohead. best brittish band ever. but the smiths were rather excellent even if morriseys an arrogant prick. but the ruled they did.

rocknrollstar5
06-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Morrisey is number 3 on my most hated list.

You have a most hated list, you should get out more

oasis247
07-09-2006, 04:37 AM
yea man i agree. oasis is the best british since the beatles, followed by the stone roses. morrissey is a twat and johnny marr is awesome, however noel still rules the roost.

pratt121
07-09-2006, 06:29 PM
There's music in England that is derived from the Beatles and then music that is more Rolling Stones-ish. I would say the Smiths are most definitely on the side of the Stones. I'm a big fan of both camps, to be honest.

Morrisey's lyrics are amazing. Johnny Marr's got good style.

I'd say they're a great band, but unlike other bands to recently make it in the US (Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis, to name a few) they really never "broke it big" here...

So I'm gonna have to say no.

morrissey is a twat and johnny marr is awesome, however noel still rules the roost.

And the Gallaghers and McGhee, the "Oasis Svengali" aren't twats?

MorbidAngel333
07-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Better than The Beatles. They're music is really seems to connect with alot of people, myself included...no one likes their debut LP as much as i do, never understood why...
as far as Morrissey, he's one of my favorites. Hes an incredible man, but i could see why hes a very 'love him or hate him' kinda guy...

EDIT: best british band since Beatles...also:
New Order
My Bloody Valentine

Charming_Man
07-14-2006, 08:18 AM
^^ [I absolutely adore their debut album, its easily on a par with the later stuff, despite being more despondent and edgy]

The Smiths are easily my favourite band, including the Beatles, and I think it's hard to argue that they are not also one of the BEST (if we're speaking in terms of importance, ingenuity and technical ability).

While I can understand, though not necessarily agree with ;), anyone who dislikes Morrissey's vocals, or even their sound and songs in general, in terms of quality I think they must surely be respected for what they achieved. Morrissey's lyrics are witty and observant, while Marr's guitar playing and compositions are easily some of the most complex and original ever attempted by a British guitar band. Not to mention the impossibly tight and steady rhythm section, who are so frequently overlooked.

So I suppose whether you like them or not is purely a matter of choice, but bear in mind that without the Smiths there would be no Noel Gallagher, Alex Turner, Jarvis Cocker, John Squire, etc etc etc... And for the most part you can take THEIR word for it.

*Truly Ninja*
07-14-2006, 01:05 PM
radiohead is the best band ever.

Nemm
07-17-2006, 10:23 AM
I guess this speaks for itself.
Blarg (http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/32842588)

Not Now
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Definetly up there in the top 10. Dunno about 2nd

Caustic
07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I guess this speaks for itself.
Blarg (http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/32842588)

Sometimes, the British public makes me cry.

willtheworld
07-18-2006, 01:14 AM
radiohead is the best band ever.

the smiths own radiohead

Caustic
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm a massive Smiths fan, but Radiohead is indeed the better band. No band has progressed and developed as much as Radiohead has since Pink Floyd.

meh!
07-30-2006, 07:53 AM
THe Smiths were bad, and Morrisey is absoloutley jessusing awufl, I cannot stand him.

SupImJimmy
07-31-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't know too much about the Smiths, but I'm really getting into them. In fact, I just bought the Singles CD two days ago and I'm enjoying it hugely. Though I'm not sure if I love or hate Morrissey's voice, I immediately fell in love with Marr's guitar. Some of the most jangly, amazing, pop playing I've ever heard. The way it's looking right now, they could fall into my second favorite British band ever (though I don't want to say best). I seriously like them that much.

Oh and to whoever said Oasis is better, I'd like to say that Oasis is rubbish.

UMadeMeRealise
07-31-2006, 11:44 PM
The Smiths are incredible, though Morrissey's singing is something of an acquired taste. I've got the 'Singles' and 'Hatful of Hollow' CD's and I think the next one I'll buy will be the debut.

i_strum_i_drum
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
I can't stand The Beatles.

Nemm
08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/5037792.stm

The Moogle
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I like the Smiths and Radiohead. Morrisey and Thom Yorke write some sad things :( kupo

pumpkins_rule
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Johnny Marr is definitely the most underrated guitarist of all time. No one ever gives him recognition despite his brilliant skills as a songwriter and rythym guitarist.

Caustic
08-01-2006, 04:40 PM
THe Smiths were bad, and Morrisey is absoloutley jessusing awufl, I cannot stand him.

Yeah, inspiring generations of young musicians if an awful thing to do. Let's string up BB King and Miles Davis too.

I can understand not liking them, they're a difficult band to like, and have a strong message in their music... but "bad"? "awful"? Very infantile.

bobjewell87
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
this 'meh!' guy has an awful taste in music from my observations.

also from my observations i've concluded that back to the old house is my favourite song by the smitys

UMadeMeRealise
08-01-2006, 05:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/5037792.stm

Are you serious? What has Britain come to? Then again, I can't really talk, as I live in America. But that was a disgraceful list.

Caustic
08-01-2006, 05:32 PM
That list is sickening. I promise we're not all retarded.

j0nmcc
08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
I havent listened to the smiths in soooo long. I need to update!

UMadeMeRealise
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, I bought the debut and 'The Queen is Dead' and listened to each start to finish. 'Queen' is overrated; the debut is better.

Big_Brutas
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I reckon that Morresey was better when he was with the smiths but I can still listen to him now. As for best british band since the beetles... I dunno. We got pink floyd, Radiohead, Blur, Oasis (although I really hate oassis), can the stones be included technically they were around in the 60's with the beetles but theire still going?

Looks like I'm saying nothin that wasn't said before here so I'll stop...

Morressey is easily hatable but I like him for his lyrical genious and interesting vocals... That is all

Caustic
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Well, I bought the debut and 'The Queen is Dead' and listened to each start to finish. 'Queen' is overrated; the debut is better.

While the debut is rough, honest, raw and down to earth, I really think The Queen is Dead is their greatest release. It's their best produced and most well written, I think, and Morrisseys lyrics are at their peak.

UMadeMeRealise
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Britain has really produced a lot of great music: Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Smiths, Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blur, Radiohead... I think they've got us beat.

Fixer
08-03-2006, 04:27 PM

You're bad and absolutely awful and I cannot stand you :mad:

By the way my favorite Smiths song is Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me :)

UMadeMeRealise
08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
You're bad and absolutely awful and I cannot stand you :mad:

By the way my favorite Smiths song is Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me :)

Don't let that idiot bother you. He cannot even spell! And my favorite Smiths song right now is Frankly Mr. Shankly, but it changes quite regularly.

Caustic
08-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Britain has really produced a lot of great music: Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Smiths, Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, Blur, Radiohead... I think they've got us beat.

You forgot The Who, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Queen :P:

Nah, you got plenty of sweet bands. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, REM, Tool, Sonic Youth... Hendrix, damn you, Hendrix!

Big_Brutas
08-06-2006, 11:59 AM
You forgot The Who, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Queen :P:

Nah, you got plenty of sweet bands. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, REM, Tool, Sonic Youth... Hendrix, damn you, Hendrix!

Seems to be a bit of a world cup of rock bands here.... I'm Irish by the way, is this thing judged on Great band per head of population?

the-indie-kid
08-06-2006, 03:47 PM
ah i love both his solo work and the smiths.
saw him in london in may and at benicassim, and he is fantastic!
opened with panic when i saw him in spain and that was incredible!
not so keen on his new album as with you are the quarry and some of his others, but it is still a very good album

bobjewell87
08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
right, pretty much obsessed with these guys now. awesome, just awesome

NO I'VE NEVER HAD A JOBBBBBBB BECAUSE
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMM TOOOOOOOOOOO SHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY

j0nmcc
08-17-2006, 09:16 PM
guys...giys

you best stop the fighting. :p:

oh and this charming man is a bit of a tune!

Mild Vibe
08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Most overated band of all time, in my opinion. Don't hate them by any means, just, over rated.

bobby_zman
08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
yeah i have to agree, i think they're really overrated. I don't hate their music but there's just something about their sound that makes it sound really dated to me. I prefer most of the other British bands that have been mentioned ( the who, the cure, pink floyd, radiohead, etc)...

oasis247
09-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Johnny Marr is definitely the most underrated guitarist of all time. No one ever gives him recognition despite his brilliant skills as a songwriter and rythym guitarist.

I am a huge Johnny Marr fan and he is underrated, but John Squire has got to be more underrated than Marr.

sydbarrettsaves
09-03-2006, 12:57 AM
the short answer to your smiths proposal is:

no. regardless of your title, i think you're forgetting to take into consideration many other influential artists. namely pink floyd... anyways i think they're a bit overrated as well.

Caustic
09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
yeah i have to agree, i think they're really overrated. I don't hate their music but there's just something about their sound that makes it sound really dated to me. I prefer most of the other British bands that have been mentioned ( the who, the cure, pink floyd, radiohead, etc)...

I'm not entirely sure how they can be so overrated when so many people hate them with all their soul :)

(And bands like Oasis exist)

StuartR
09-03-2006, 03:11 PM
I think the Beatles are overrated. I much prefer The Who to them.

Also The Smiths are my favorite non-metal/hardcore/punk band.

pumpkins_rule
09-03-2006, 03:33 PM

no. regardless of your title, i think you're forgetting to take into consideration many other influential artists. namely pink floyd... anyways i think they're a bit overrated as well.

Well I really think you're too biased to be saying that.

bobjewell87
09-03-2006, 06:04 PM

totally untrue in every way.

what is it with you yanks and crap classic rock bands? led zeppelin? Pink floyd?

all awful

Caustic
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Floyd is not awful in any way, I'm sorry man. One of the most important bands of all time. Even non-fans ought to be acknowledging that.

It irritates me when I'm arguing on the same side as such ignorant people. It's like people around me are discrediting any point I may have to make simply by being there.

pumpkins_rule
09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Floyd is not awful in any way, I'm sorry man. One of the most important bands of all time. Even non-fans ought to be acknowledging that.

It irritates me when I'm arguing on the same side as such ignorant people. It's like people around me are discrediting any point I may have to make simply by being there.

Yeah even though I don't listen to them anymore, Pink Floyd were extremely creative, technical and were able to make a new record every time without changing too much. This is very hard to do. I agree that Led Zeppelin shouldn't be worshipped though. They're terrible.

j0nmcc
09-04-2006, 02:23 PM
^^ :eek:

OH NO YOU DIN'!

pumpkins_rule
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
^^ :eek:

OH NO YOU DIN'!

Ahaha well it is only my opinion, but I think Jimmy Page was a boring improviser who was really sloppy, Robert Plant was annoying as fuck and that John Bonham was a stupid show off who had no reason to play thirty minute drum solos because after two minutes it becomes tired and boring. I have no beef with JPJ though, I think he was the most talented member of the group.

sponj
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I love you pumpkins_rule

j0nmcc
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
fair play then :)

Caustic
09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I can put up with Bonhams overzealous drum soloing because he's one of the few drummers who can pull it off. And I dig like, purely percussive instrument music too. It taps into something primal. However, a gigantic drum solo slap in the middle of a rock song totally kills the dirty rock and roll energy and groove that Zeppelin thrived on.

I'm a pro JPJ guy too. Very talented guy. Page and Plant, funnily, I can take 'em or leave 'em. But ****, we're talking about The Smiths, dudes!

Andy Rourke is underappreciated.

Bonomania
12-23-2006, 01:12 PM
I LOVE MORRISSEY! and the Smiths, went to see Morrissey recently and it was the best experience of my life!
He has the most soothing voice, i can't get over it! He is an obsession of mine. The Smiths and Morrissey are without a doubt the most influencial bands/artists I have heard.

Never take my Morrissey away from me lol

By what means is Morrissey a twat exactly? He has never really done anything to make himself a twat, and he isn't very self-righteous at all...
He's always very modest about his work and hates it when people say it's brilliant, the only time he ever praises himself is when he does it in a joking way.

Plus he actually makes the effort to make conversation with his audience at shows...

AWA
12-24-2006, 12:18 AM
The Smiths are brilliant. One of my friends started calling me "Art Fag!" because I like The Smiths, though.

bluemoon05
12-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Oasis are better IMO but in the 80's they were the best british band since the beatles.

Absolutely quality band and Marr is an absolute genous.

Morrissey's solos stuff hasn't been good and certain albums very poor but the odd album lik You are the quarry has been good.

StuartR
12-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Oasis are boring.

Morrissey's solo stuff is excellent.

_propaganda
12-24-2006, 04:34 PM
IMO:
The Smiths are one of the greatest bands on earth ever, Morrissey's voice is amazing and so unique. And yes he is probably the best song writer of all time.
My favourite song has to be "this charming man".

Yes they may be too serious for the average drunk pub/club. But i'd go with "Panic" as the music isn't as gloomy (for lack of a better word).

Caustic
12-25-2006, 02:52 PM
IMO:
Yes they may be too serious for the average drunk pub/club.

Just slightly. The Smiths make music to sit alone and think to.

Monkeygone2hvn
12-26-2006, 01:35 AM
i definitly do not think that the smiths were the best band since the beatles, i think thats a ridiculous title if i had to choose a band for it it would probably be radiohead. although i do like the smiths quite a bit, i think my favorite smiths song is probably asleep or this charming man. i saw johnny about a month ago when he was playing with modest mouse and he still looks incredibly young. he looked younger most of the guys in modest mouse and hes got to be at least ten years older than them. his guitar playing is very unique i think. i enjoy it greatly. they are a very influental band.

Caustic
12-26-2006, 12:14 PM
i definitly do not think that the smiths were the best band since the beatles, i think thats a ridiculous title if i had to choose a band for it it would probably be radiohead. although i do like the smiths quite a bit, i think my favorite smiths song is probably asleep or this charming man. i saw johnny about a month ago when he was playing with modest mouse and he still looks incredibly young. he looked younger most of the guys in modest mouse and hes got to be at least ten years older than them. his guitar playing is very unique i think. i enjoy it greatly. they are a very influental band.

Radiohead are definately up there. I'm always torn between The Smiths and Radiohead... I think Radiohead win out because I have never, ever seen a band transform themselves as radically and rapidly as they have. Look at the difference between Pablo Honey and OK Computer.... shit.

The Smiths are a second to me, though.

robbie
12-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I listened to 'Meat Is Murder' and I was unimpressed. I didn't despise it with a passion, nor did I really like it at all. It evoked nothing in me at all.

On top of that, Morrissey is a hypocritical twatbag (/me points out he used to wear leather shoes even when deeply embroiled in his stupid animal rights bollocks).

Abe
12-26-2006, 08:10 PM
^His song titles are miles better than the songs themselves IMO. Although, one or two Smiths songs, I ****ing love to bits.

onlyonehere
12-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Reading through this thread is fun.

I tolerate the Smiths but I don't like them.
I despise Morrissey. I think the man is a moron.
I think the Beatles are good, but stupidly overrated.
Oasis are the worst band to ever exist.
Pink Floyd are good.
Led Zepplin rival Oasis for the worst band to ever exist.

Although, I can still see why people like all of the above.

untitled039
12-28-2006, 05:17 PM
They probably are, but I think the Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn good, so they might be contenders

Caustic
12-28-2006, 05:19 PM
They probably are, but I think the Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn good, so they might be contenders

Excuse me for just one moment while I hurl up everything I've eaten today in your face.

Abe
12-28-2006, 06:32 PM
^usually don't like that sorta comment, but uhhhh, I agree x2.

.smudged.
12-31-2006, 09:39 PM
The Smiths..Best English band since The Beatles?

Yes.

Morrisey's voice is unique and relaxing.

daft
12-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I think the Clash could have been contenders for this title. London Calling in my opninion is one of the best albums of all time and for me they are better than the Smiths.

Bonomania
01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Morrissey a moron? What planet are you on lol? He's a genius, you try writing a song like Disappointed or This charming man...o.O
And btw, I forget who said it...they weren't real leather shoes duh!

Mozalini is he...Mozalini is GOD ffs! :p

robbie
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Morrissey a moron? What planet are you on lol? He's a genius, you try writing a song like Disappointed or This charming man...o.O
And btw, I forget who said it...they weren't real leather shoes duh!

Mozalini is he...Mozalini is GOD ffs! :p

Actually they were real leather. To quote Morrissey himself "I find shoes difficult to be ethical about - one just can't seem to avoid leather. One is trapped, ultimately". He wears fake now, but back in the late 80s/90s he used to wear real ones, despite his campaigning.

SupImJimmy
01-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I listened to 'Meat Is Murder' and I was unimpressed. I didn't despise it with a passion, nor did I really like it at all. It evoked nothing in me at all.

On top of that, Morrissey is a hypocritical twatbag (/me points out he used to wear leather shoes even when deeply embroiled in his stupid animal rights bollocks).

IMO, Meat is Murder is definately their weakest album. My favorite is The Queen Is Dead. Yes, I've listened to them a lot more since my last comment, and I truly don't think the thread title is an overstatement. They were that good.

oasis247
01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Radiohead are definately up there. I'm always torn between The Smiths and Radiohead... I think Radiohead win out because I have never, ever seen a band transform themselves as radically and rapidly as they have. Look at the difference between Pablo Honey and OK Computer.... shit.

Pablo Honey was such a rubbish album that when Ok Computer came out it was made to look twice as good as it should've! What's so good about their 'transformation' anyway? As far as im concerned 'transformation' is a bad thing. If they had never released Pablo Honey, they would have had a debut just as good as Oasis' Definitely Maybe or The Stone Roses' self-titled.

unplugtheradio
01-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I love the Smiths. I hate Morrissey.

+1

tpen892004
01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
i like the smiths....listening to the queen is dead right now actually

Caustic
01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Pablo Honey was such a rubbish album that when Ok Computer came out it was made to look twice as good as it should've! What's so good about their 'transformation' anyway?

Eh, Pablo Honey was a good album. It was raw and a little naive, like many debuts. It just sounds worse than it is because The Bends came shortly after, and then OK Computer after that. And in many peoples opinions, Kid A after that.

And what's so good about their transformation? It's the fact that they're visibly growing and changing, and not being dominated by commercial demands. They could happily have released album after album of jangly pop tunes a la The Bends, but they didn't. They made the music that they felt they needed to make at that point in their lives.
As far as im concerned 'transformation' is a bad thing.

Well, stick to listening to Oasis, then. Personally, bands that don't change and improve themselves bore the shit out of me. The Gallaghers have made their fortune milking the hell out of a handful of simple ideas.

As far as im concerned 'transformation' is a bad thing. If they had never released Pablo Honey, they would have had a debut just as good as Oasis' Definitely Maybe or The Stone Roses' self-titled.

Maybe, maybe. But then, Oasis had Definately Maybe. Awesome album. But what have they done since? Released albums that, if they were an electronica band, would probably be classed as remixes. Radioheads development sets them apart. As opposed to just having a strong debut and a slide to obscurity, they've continued moving on and up.

Long and short? Shush, Radiohead are more than worthy. Now let's talk about The Smiths.

I'm starting to prefer Meat Is Murder to The Queen Is Dead, as albums go.

StuartR
01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I always preferred the first two over The Queen Is Dead, but recently I've been wanting to listen to it more. It's a bit more catchy at times.

Monkeygone2hvn
01-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Eh, Pablo Honey was a good album. It was raw and a little naive, like many debuts. It just sounds worse than it is because The Bends came shortly after, and then OK Computer after that. And in many peoples opinions, Kid A after that.

And what's so good about their transformation? It's the fact that they're visibly growing and changing, and not being dominated by commercial demands. They could happily have released album after album of jangly pop tunes a la The Bends, but they didn't. They made the music that they felt they needed to make at that point in their lives.

Well, stick to listening to Oasis, then. Personally, bands that don't change and improve themselves bore the shit out of me. The Gallaghers have made their fortune milking the hell out of a handful of simple ideas.

Maybe, maybe. But then, Oasis had Definately Maybe. Awesome album. But what have they done since? Released albums that, if they were an electronica band, would probably be classed as remixes. Radioheads development sets them apart. As opposed to just having a strong debut and a slide to obscurity, they've continued moving on and up.

Long and short? Shush, Radiohead are more than worthy. Now let's talk about The Smiths.

I'm starting to prefer Meat Is Murder to The Queen Is Dead, as albums go.

you sir have done a great job in defending an amazing band, thanks for that, because im far to inarticulate to have done it.

as for the smiths i still seem to be liking their self titled the most. it flows well to me, i listen to it the most out their albums that i own.

AWA
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I like Louder Than Bombs moreso than any of their actual albums.

Fender-Luke
01-11-2007, 12:44 PM
The smiths are poor, sorry...i'd rather listen to Slipknot than them...

Caustic
01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
It's okay, don't feel bad. I felt the same way once upon a time. You'll come crawling back. They all do in the end :p:

Nah, kidding. But they are an acquired taste. It took me a long, long time for them to click with me. Now, they're one of my favourite bands and one of my biggest influences (except for the militant vegan side).

SupImJimmy
01-11-2007, 10:55 PM
It's okay, don't feel bad. I felt the same way once upon a time. You'll come crawling back. They all do in the end :p:

Nah, kidding. But they are an acquired taste. It took me a long, long time for them to click with me. Now, they're one of my favourite bands and one of my biggest influences (except for the militant vegan side).

I second that. I introduced the Smiths to one of my close friends who really listens exclusively to the old blues music. At first he pulled the "wow this dude sounds gay" card, and I decided to just call it quits and stop trying to show him decent bands outside of his preferred genre. Anyway, five or sixth months (!) later, he calls me on the phone and asks to borrow a few of my Smiths CDs because he said Morrissey had grown on him. I think the Smiths just have that effect on people...

trackmind
02-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Finally found this damn thread :p:

I've heard a lot about the Smiths (and Morrissey) and have decided to check them out. Which album should I start with? Which is the easiest getting into?

AWA
02-22-2007, 08:05 PM
The Queen is Dead.

TwistedLogic
02-22-2007, 09:47 PM
The Smiths were an amazing band. Johnny Marr was, and presumably is still, a great guitar player. endlessly depressing lyrics. For the most part it was a great match of unique guitar work that was on the meloncholy side with Morrisey's endlessly depressing lyrics. Great stuff and sometimes an interesting juxtaposition of upbeat guitar work by Marr, on songs like Ask and Girlfriend in a Coma, against Morrisey's lyrics. I agree with the others that Morrisey's voice can be annoying. Personally, I think he is a great vocalist but does enter whiney territory.

Favorite song; There is a light that never goes out. I love the ending the way it fades out, just beautiful.

As for best band since the Beatles; no. I would say Pink Floyd was one of the most creative bands around and Radiohead deserves a mention as well. To those who say Oasis, hahahahaha. YOu must be kidding. If Jimmy Page gets ripped for stealing old blues standards then Noel should get the same treatment for stealing from the Beatles catoloque, which he freely admitted to on a few occasoins. Boring self important blokes they are. For all his pretentiousness at least Morrisey can back it up with witty intelligent lyrics.

joshsirjoshules
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Two words: Johnny Marr.

Saif Mehdi
03-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Finally found this damn thread :p:

I've heard a lot about the Smiths (and Morrissey) and have decided to check them out. Which album should I start with? Which is the easiest getting into?
Maybe you should get one of their "best of" albums, their debut album, or The Queen is Dead. Their happiest song might be "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One".

brandnewjunkie
03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
The Queen is Dead is a great intro to the band. The "Singles" album is a good mix, but the "Best of" (volume 1 and 2) aren't a great compilation.

Also... definitely not the best British Band since the Beatles, but I would say that the Smiths and Radiohead have been the more influential on today's indie music than any others....

NGD1313
03-16-2007, 12:38 AM
I do like them, I think Morrisey's voice is more tolerable if you listen to a lot of British 80's Alternative. I recently picked up The Queen is Dead and it's a good album. The Smiths are like the Cure to me, I really enjoy them but if I listen to them tons and tons over an extended period of time I get really bored. I don't know much about the exploits of Morrisey so I won't comment on his douche-ness, but, unless you do something really douche-y, if Jesse Lacey namechecks you, you're ok in my books.

somewhat_here
03-16-2007, 01:01 AM
^that happens to me with the cure but not so much with the smiths. i spent a whole summer listening to louder than bombs and then the cassette broke. i bought another but now it seems too long and bogged down but the queen is dead takes it for me.

AWA
03-16-2007, 01:24 AM
i spent a whole summer listening to louder than bombs and then the cassette broke.
That's hardcore.

somewhat_here
03-16-2007, 03:09 PM
^not really, it was used to begin with. or does that make it even more?

frd_marshll
03-19-2007, 02:30 AM
anybody going to that morrisey tour it is 189 bucks in seattle i want to go but its so much

trackmind
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Two words: Johnny Marr.
Let me quote Noel Gallagher:

"The man's a fockin' wizard."

Meant as a compliment, for once.

:p:

I am Samuel
04-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I am a very huge fan of music, but one thing I cannot stand is The Smiths, that also includes anything by Morrissey.

I just can't stand that man.

Anybody who says they need 'more regconition' or whatnot needs their head examining.

Caustic
04-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your valuble and thoughtful input.

Anyway, I was listening to Suede the other day, and noticed just how much their vocalist reminds me of Morrissey.

trackmind
04-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your valuble and thoughtful input.

Anyway, I was listening to Suede the other day, and noticed just how much their vocalist reminds me of Morrissey.
Yep. They're both VERY annoying. Still... Two great bands. I enjoy both Suede and Smiths a lot.

Goon
04-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Morrissey has a lovely voice. I could listen to it all night long. :heart:

teenage riot
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I love Morrissey's voice. In my opinion there is no one who can draw parrallels to it, in terms of emotion and sound. If it hadn't been for The Smiths God knows where I'd be.

jazza1234
04-20-2007, 08:39 PM
jonny marrs guitar playing makes the smiths for me. the sound of the guitars in panic made me want to play guitar

kevinm4435
04-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Morrissey is an asshole, but The Smiths ruled.

teenage riot
04-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't think Morrissey was an asshole... just honest.

FrostyTheBush
04-21-2007, 07:02 PM
There was that other band around, radiohead or something. They were pretty good.

Yertle
04-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Lyrically, he is one of my favorite artists. And while I'm not generally a huge fan of the reverby open sound, the Smiths are one of my favorite bands.

Caustic
04-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Morrissey has a lovely voice. I could listen to it all night long. :heart:

I think his voice is hypnotic. It just draws you in and washes over you. It offsets Marr's guitar perfectly.

I think that's what sets The Smiths apart, really. Other bands might rock harder, push more boundaries, even have more complex and unique lyrics, but they don't have the same chemistry and uniqueness of the combination of vocals and music. To me, anyway.

trackmind
04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm really beginnig to like the Smiths, a lot. The first time I heard them I was like ''Meh, this is kinda gay". But I kinda grew on me. 'Is This Really So Strange?' is prob my favourite song by them (atleast of what I heard by them). It sounds so simple, still they manage to get all that energy out in their songs. Fantastic. :golfclap:

It's still kinda gay, though :p:

EDIT: And best band since Beatles? Don't thnk so.

the fendernator
04-24-2007, 05:02 AM
My girlfriend got me into them. The singer used to annoy me, but I've grown into it. The guitarist is so underated too. :)

Goon
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I think his voice is hypnotic. It just draws you in and washes over you. It offsets Marr's guitar perfectly.

I think that's what sets The Smiths apart, really. Other bands might rock harder, push more boundaries, even have more complex and unique lyrics, but they don't have the same chemistry and uniqueness of the combination of vocals and music. To me, anyway.

Yes!! It all fits together so perfectly and everything compliments everything else so very well. Bands just aren't like this anymore... it was very unique to the Smiths.

I love the irony that comes with Morrissey's lyrics is shown also in the instruments and the sound. Like how the deepest, darkest songs have the happiest, brightest, bouncing basslines.

TwistedLogic
04-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes!! It all fits together so perfectly and everything compliments everything else so very well. Bands just aren't like this anymore... it was very unique to the Smiths.

I love the irony that comes with Morrissey's lyrics is shown also in the instruments and the sound. Like how the deepest, darkest songs have the happiest, brightest, bouncing basslines.

Very true. That is one of the strong points of hte Smiths.

lp345
04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Am I the only one who prefers their debut over The Queen Is Dead? I think that album is slightly overrated......I prefer the rawness of their debut as opposed to the slight overproduction of the Queen Is Dead. Not that its a bad album.....its just everyone raves about it an the S/T never gets a mention.

BTW Johnny Marr is an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G guitarist :D

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
04-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I think the production on their debut is really crappy. But the songs are much better.

lp345
04-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I think the production on their debut is really crappy. But the songs are much better.

I know what you mean about the production, but, somehow, it gives it a bit of character (or maybe Im just weird :D )
The songs are alot better, I got a bit bored of TQID to be honest after a while, bar Cemetry Gates (love that one)

TwistedLogic
04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Your are not weird, I like underproduced rawer material too. Maybe I am weird . Lets start a club ; )

Cory Smash
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I have Strangeways, Here We Come. In my opinion, Smiths is love. Morrissey's voice is so soothing to me.

Goon
04-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Has anyone here actually seen the Smiths play?

I feel an increasing need to have a time machine in my life.

HorridxHopes
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM

I seriously doubt it.

Anyway, I love The Smiths & Morrissey. I can identify with the lyrics, I love the jangly guitar, and Andy Rourke is one of the most-underrated bassists of rock. Favorite songs include "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want", "Asleep", "Girlfriend in a Coma", "How Soon Is Now?", "This Charming Man", "Reel Around the Fountain", and "Suffer Little Children".

jazza1234
04-27-2007, 07:39 PM

my dad is a huge smiths fan and he saw them play in 86 i think. he also met jonny marr in the 90s

d3vils food
05-06-2007, 02:10 PM
if i could see them play (back when they were together) i would die a happy man

courtneytaylor
05-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

lp345
05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Could someone explain to me what 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' is about......Ive heard its about child abuse, but I cant really link anything in the lyrics to it, maybe Im just a bit daft :D I would be glad if someone could tell me

morrisseymarr87
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Could someone explain to me what 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' is about......Ive heard its about child abuse, but I cant really link anything in the lyrics to it, maybe Im just a bit daft :D I would be glad if someone could tell me

I'd forgotten it was supposed to be about child abuse (Moz is so sweet) so I looked over the lyrics myself to see...its not OBVIOUS is it?! I suppose the title could be a euphemism for a child abuser...the only way i think the song could be about it is if you imagined the narrator WAS the paedophile, albeit, in a freaky parental way with a dark style of protecting. If you do look at it with that in mind the lines - 'for you are all that matters/ and I'll love you till the day I die' become rather haunting. Not as haunting as 'Suffer Little Children' though!

Saif Mehdi
05-27-2007, 02:39 PM
A lot of the Smiths guitar pro tabs are wrong, huh. Like "You've Got Everything Now", the guitar pro version that I have definitely doesn't sound as awesome as the song, especially in the verse.

Saif Mehdi
05-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Andy Rourke is one of the most-underrated bassists of rock.
I know! What the **** is up with that?!? :grrr:

European Son
05-27-2007, 02:51 PM
A lot of the Smiths guitar pro tabs are wrong, huh. Like "You've Got Everything Now", the guitar pro version that I have definitely doesn't sound as awesome as the song, especially in the verse.
Yeah, I've noticed that aswell. Probably because Johnny Marr is so amazing. :D

somewhat_here
05-27-2007, 05:47 PM
i haven't really noticed with that song, it sounds fine to me. at least it has the chorus tabbed pretty correct-sounding.

but back to marr, the arpeggios he does are amazing, i would never think of playing the notes he does. especially on girl afraid, i can't even play that song.

Saif Mehdi
05-28-2007, 05:54 PM
I agree with European Son. I guess we'll never know exactly what chords he's playing in the "You've Got Everything Now" verse along with plenty of other Smiths's songs. :(

UMadeMeRealise
05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
My friend has got a Smiths chord book. I'll call her and ask what the chords are to 'You've got everything now.'

Johan_
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Oh hell yeah. Gotta loooove the smiths.

rushmore
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
radiohead, best english band
ever.
not taking anything away from the beatles,
but come on.

European Son
05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't say Smiths are the "greatest" band (if there is such a thing) since Beatles, but they are certainly one of the most influential. Probably nr. 3 after Zeppelin and Floyd (excluding Beatles, and in no particular order :p: ).

Saif Mehdi
05-29-2007, 07:08 PM
My friend has got a Smiths chord book. I'll call her and ask what the chords are to 'You've got everything now.'
You're awesome. :headbang:

Saif Mehdi
05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Radiohead rules...British bands rule.

European Son
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
^Meh, I've never really been able to adore Radiohead's music like everybody else seems to do in this forum. I just can't see what makes them so special. :sad:

UMadeMeRealise
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
You're awesome. :headbang:

Thank you. Unfortunately, it's only 'The Queen is Dead.' So if anyone would like those chords, I can help you there.

BTW, I totally prefer the debut as well. It's got much better songs and the raw, leaden production has a charm about it.

mr kipling
05-30-2007, 07:18 AM
To be honest, I've never liked The Smiths. Marr is a good guitarist, though.

UMadeMeRealise
05-30-2007, 10:40 AM
^
They are an acquired taste. Morrissey's voice isn't for everyone.

somewhat_here
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
^Meh, I've never really been able to adore Radiohead's music like everybody else seems to do in this forum. I just can't see what makes them so special. :sad:

ya i think they're ok but they had to grow on me. the smiths, on the other hand, i fell in love with instantly.

how many johnny marr solos are there in the smiths catalogue? sure his playing leaves little to be desired as far as solos go but i think i've heard maybe 2 or 3 only?

UMadeMeRealise
05-30-2007, 05:34 PM
As far as I know, the only traditional guitar solo the Smiths ever did was in 'Paint a Vulgar Picture' from 'Strangeways.'

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
05-30-2007, 05:48 PM
He does one on Shoplifters of the World Unite, that sounds like it could be by a hair metal band.

I haven't listened the Smiths in ages! I think I'll go and listen their debut.

UMadeMeRealise
05-30-2007, 05:49 PM
He does one on Shoplifters of the World Unite, that sounds like it could be by a hair metal band.

Ah yes, my mistake. That was a good one.

Lateralus17
05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
The Smiths had some wonderful tracks and as I listen to the Very Best Of more and more I discover great songs that I hadn't paid much attention to on first listen. I'm considering buying a few of their albums (The Queen Is Dead probably next) because I don't think you can truly understand how good a band is from a Best Of.

As for best British band, definitely not in my opinion. Radiohead are my favourites but it consider it impossible to surpass them in musical and lyrical achievements, they are just too brilliant.

Saif Mehdi
05-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately, it's only 'The Queen is Dead.' So if anyone would like those chords, I can help you there.
I would love to check out "The Queen Is Dead" sheet music.

BTW, I totally prefer the debut as well. It's got much better songs and the raw, leaden production has a charm about it.
Hell yeah, the debut is much more accessible, dynamic, and as you said - raw IMO.

somewhat_here
05-31-2007, 02:21 AM

aah yes. also there's the one from louder than bombs about the "sweet and tender hooligan." can't remember the title right now, my car's in the shop. :(

HesABackstabber
05-31-2007, 12:50 PM
The Smiths = Fantastic, Johnny Marr has made a good album with Modest Mouse too hasnt he

Saif Mehdi
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
^Yeah, but Johnny Marr should be more conceited and only hang around with other genius musicians.

somewhat_here
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
i want to age as gracefully as johnny marr.

.smudged.
06-08-2007, 12:31 AM
what amp johnny used when he was in the smiths?

uhh_me?
06-08-2007, 01:09 AM
how is there a five page thread on the smiths and i haven't posted in it once?
wow
just wow
how did i miss this or ignore it or something

anyway i just scored a bunch of smiths on vinyl, can't wait to listen

MarqueeMoon77
06-08-2007, 06:37 PM
If Radiohead didnt come along i'd have to agree. But for some reason i think Radiohead's much better then the smiths. But still, The Smiths are ****ing awesome

Caustic
06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
what amp johnny used when he was in the smiths?

Fender Twin Reverb, I think.

YourLastAffront
06-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Fender Twin Reverb, I think.Correct.

Smiths > Beatles.

Caustic
06-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Nah, I couldn't go so far as to say that. The Beatles are just too huge. The Smiths > everyone but the Beatles, maybe.

European Son
06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Smiths > Beatles.
Finally someone who doesn't feel the need to give the Beatles some kind of divine status. :p: Just because they were very commercially sucessful at their time doesn't mean they're the greatest band ever. They were very talented, yes. Are they unapproachable? No. I enjoy the Beatles, it's not that. But I think there are/will be bands that are/will be as important to music as the Beatles were.

I'm just kinda tired of this The-Oldies-Are-Sacred-Bull****. In my experience, the music that are 1980-present gets a lot less less respect than pre-80s and it irritates me. Why can't people just appreciate more recent music? Sure the music they made were important and stuff, but come on... The whole Beatles-Are-Divine thing gets kinda tiresome. But that's just my opinion.

P.S. This is probably the wrong forum for this kinda grumbling. You all know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Caustic
06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm just kinda tired of this The-Oldies-Are-Sacred-Bull****. In my experience, the music that are 1980-present gets a lot less less respect than pre-80s and it irritates me.

I'm totally with you. Classic rock elitists piss me off too. I'm all for giving artists of all eras the respect they deserve.

With me, though, I at least believe that few have contributed as much as The Beatles, even if they're far from my favourite band. Of those few who I think have... they're spread fairly evenly over the decades.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Smiths > Beatles.

In what way? Maybe you prefer the Smiths to the Beatles, but to say that they are greater, as though it were a fact, is just nonsense.

People say the Smiths were so influential and important to today's music, which they were (to an extent) but there were other bands making similar music- the soft boys, the wedding present etc.etc..

I can't even be bothered writing out a list of why the Beatles were perhaps the most important band to rock music. They're perhaps to 'mainstream' or 'commercial' for you but really, they were one of the most experimental, creative and imaginative bands of their time.

Of course, maybe you know all this and you just prefer the Smiths' music to the Beatles :p: Meh.

.smudged.
06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Correct.

Smiths > Beatles.
smiths > every band

theyre just the greatest band ever god bless england

STRAT811
06-08-2007, 10:25 PM
As far as English bands since the Beatles go...
Radiohead
then Muse
then finally the Smiths

YourLastAffront
06-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Finally someone who doesn't feel the need to give the Beatles some kind of divine status. :p: Just because they were very commercially sucessful at their time doesn't mean they're the greatest band ever. They were very talented, yes. Are they unapproachable? No. I enjoy the Beatles, it's not that. But I think there are/will be bands that are/will be as important to music as the Beatles were.

I'm just kinda tired of this The-Oldies-Are-Sacred-Bull****. In my experience, the music that are 1980-present gets a lot less less respect than pre-80s and it irritates me. Why can't people just appreciate more recent music? Sure the music they made were important and stuff, but come on... The whole Beatles-Are-Divine thing gets kinda tiresome. But that's just my opinion.

P.S. This is probably the wrong forum for this kinda grumbling. You all know what I mean. :rolleyes:
I totally agree with you, I HATE the Beatles. I got a huge amount of stick the other day for saying this but I can't stand them. I'm not denying they had an influence, but I hate a lot of bands that have influenced bands I like.

And you're right, I prefer the Smiths to the Beatles, but I think they did a lot more for an ageing British Rock scene than the Beatles did.

As for STRAT811...get the **** out. Muse are a disgrace to British music.

European Son
06-09-2007, 07:13 AM
It's all preference.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-09-2007, 07:31 AM

There's no need to be rude about it. He just voiced his opinion. You can at least respect it. I didn't bitch like that when you said you prefered the Smiths over the Beatles- as it's just an opinion.

However, I'm interested to hear how the Smiths have contributed more to British rock music than the Beatles. Also, I'm curious, what Beatles stuff have you listened? I'm not jumping to conclusions and saying that you haven't listened enough to make a well formed opinion, but a lot of people have told me similar things about the Beatles - having not really listened them at all.

YourLastAffront
06-09-2007, 07:57 AM
I've listened to most stuff to the Beatles, I didn't come to the decision without prior research and listening. I just find them incredibly boring.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-09-2007, 08:02 AM
I have no idea how you could possibly say something like the Magical Mystery Tour or Revolver was boring.. but..... meh..

STRAT811
06-09-2007, 04:03 PM

:haha What do you know? You hate the Beatles! Thats like learning math from someone who says 1+1=11.

YourLastAffront
06-09-2007, 04:13 PM
:haha What do you know?More than you.

And I don't care what you say about the Beatles, as said earlier in the thread I don't understand where this 'old music = untouchable' attitude comes from, it's not like the Beatles have stood the test of time. Yes they have influenced a lot of bands, but it's certainly not music of today.

STRAT811
06-09-2007, 04:31 PM
The Beatles and Bob Dylan are all I listen to that could be considered 'old music', and the other 150 CDs or so I have are from the from the 90's on. I find music of today superior to a lot of what was done in the 60's-80's, so don't assume that I am putting your taste down because 'old music is better'.

YourLastAffront
06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
The Beatles and Bob Dylan are all I listen to that could be considered 'old music', and the other 150 CDs or so I have are from the from the 90's on. I find music of today superior to a lot of what was done in the 60's-80's, so don't assume that I am putting your taste down because 'old music is better'.Was that a boast?

goulde shaw
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
The Beatles and Bob Dylan are all I listen to that could be considered 'old music', and the other 150 CDs or so I have are from the from the 90's on. I find music of today superior to a lot of what was done in the 60's-80's, so don't assume that I am putting your taste down because 'old music is better'.

:D Wow that was probably the dumbest thing I have heard in a long while. Probably since someone said to me "It takes real courage to put a gun to your head and commit suicide".

YourLastAffront
06-09-2007, 05:16 PM
:D Wow that was probably the dumbest thing I have heard in a long while. Probably since someone said to me "It takes real courage to put a gun to your head and commit suicide".
Although I've had a dispute with him, I agree with STRAT811. Probably 95% of my music collection is from 1980 onwards.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Was that a boast?

...this is coming from the humblest person on this forum...

European Son
06-09-2007, 05:37 PM
:haha

YourLastAffront
06-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Nice try

Lexicon Devil
06-09-2007, 06:33 PM
The only thing I'd heard of the Smiths is the Afghan Whigs cover of How Soon Is Now?

I like it better than the original

LHOOQ
06-10-2007, 01:26 AM
The Smiths are sadly underrated in the States, I'd say. A lot of people I've talked to have never heard of them. I love them. I saw the video for There is a Light a while back and saw past the ****tiness of the video and bought The Queen is Dead CD. And then Louder Than Bombs. Way better than the Beatles, in my book :)

.smudged.
06-11-2007, 01:04 PM
so whats your favorite guitar work? mine's the draize train, some girls are bigger than others and girl afraid

Dom_H
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
hmm, the stone roses are better in my opinion.

somewhat_here
06-11-2007, 09:49 PM
so whats your favorite guitar work? mine's the draize train, some girls are bigger than others and girl afraid

i agree with some girls are bigger than others and girl afraid but i also think william... is brilliant and it's pretty damn hard to play accurately.

.smudged.
06-12-2007, 12:30 AM
ya william is pretty hard, about barbarism, pretty awesome

sakura'sdarkest
06-12-2007, 03:26 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOooooooooooo overated as a band.

I hate them, I hate everyone in the band. I hate the bands equipment.I hate the man who loads the equipment. I hate the man who loads the bands equipments daughter.I hate the man who loads the bands equipments daughter's best friend wendy.I hate the man who loads the bands equipments daughter's best friend wendy's dog Foofoo. I hate FOOFOO so much!!!!!

Offcourse it might have something to do with them being my formtutors favourite band but...BUT I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YourLastAffront
06-12-2007, 03:47 PM
The content of your signature deems your opinion invalid.

And I don't see them as over-rated, especially compared to your precious Kurt Cobain.

sakura'sdarkest
06-12-2007, 03:49 PM
The content of your signature deems your opinion invalid.

And I don't see them as over-rated, especially compared to your precious Kurt Cobain.

blow me, fanboi

YourLastAffront
06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
blow me, fanboi
Oh dear.

Caustic
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Offcourse it might have something to do with them being my formtutors favourite band but...BUT I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooh, you rebel you. Take me now.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOooooooooooo overated as a band.

I hate them, I hate everyone in the band. I hate the bands equipment.I hate the man who loads the equipment. I hate the man who loads the bands equipments daughter.I hate the man who loads the bands equipments daughter's best friend wendy.I hate the man who loads the bands equipments daughter's best friend wendy's dog Foofoo. I hate FOOFOO so much!!!!!

You're quite the character.

.smudged.
06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
blow me, fanboi
and how about kurt cobain? he's the one of the worst guitarrists ever... even the green day dude is better! why come to this thread if you know your going to provoke a really big fight...oh and btw the smiths> every grunge band > nirvana > kurt cobain

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
why come to this thread if you know your going to provoke a really big fight...

and how about kurt cobain? he's the one of the worst guitarrists ever... even the greenday dude is better!
...oh and btw the smiths> every grunge band > nirvana > kurt cobain

Why post this, knowing that you're going to provoke a fight? :p:

Caustic
06-13-2007, 11:54 AM
SO ANYWAY.

How's about them Smiths?

European Son
06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Who?

:rolleyes:

.smudged.
06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Why post this, knowing that you're going to provoke a fight? :p:
i was angry... :rolleyes:

edit: hey i was looking at your gear and theres a tele and a vox! nice... can you get a johnny marr tone (you know,jangly) with those? im about to buy a mim tele and a the 50 version of the vox..

:liplick:

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-13-2007, 07:02 PM
i was angry... :rolleyes:

edit: hey i was looking at your gear and theres a tele and a vox! nice... can you get a johnny marr tone (you know,jangly) with those? im about to buy a mim tele and a the 50 version of the vox..

:liplick:

That's actually why I got the Tele... well I couldn't afford a Rickenbacker :p: I can get a really good Marr tone with just adding a touch of reverb. I had a couple of problems with the amp though. The speaker cracked and then a while later there was a crackling sound on higher volumes - but it was sent for repair and I haven't had any problems since. Don't get me wrong - it's a great amp for the price. Currently, I'm thinking of upgrading but it's served me quite well these past few years :)
But definitely get the Tele!

.smudged.
06-13-2007, 07:45 PM
i cant afford the ricky and the twin reverb!
okay so i should set the amp on reverb only? or chorus+ delay or what

:D

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
06-14-2007, 08:36 AM
i cant afford the ricky and the twin reverb!
okay so i should set the amp on reverb only? or chorus+ delay or what

:D

See, it's a modeling amp. I generaly use either the Boutique Clean or AC30 presets, add a touch of reverb, and then some delay with my Boss DD-6. You can fiddle with some of the settings in manual mode to get a closer sound - but i usually stick to those presets.

tomwm1
06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
no there not that good.
these are, black sabbath, led zep,the who etc etc

YourLastAffront
06-15-2007, 11:52 AM
The Who suck, especially when compared to The Smiths.

That is all.

Caustic
06-15-2007, 01:01 PM
no there not that good.
these are, black sabbath, led zep,the who etc etc

Yawn, etc, etc. Great bands, but this is classic old=awesome default behavior.

European Son
06-15-2007, 01:17 PM
The Who suck, especially when compared to The Smiths.
I have to disagree. They're pretty much equal in my opinion. I mean, while The Who were one of the first bands to record concept albums and write rock operas (which has influenced a LOT of bands and artists) The Smiths were one of the first indie pop bands (IMO at least) and have influenced a lot of big bands (Oasis, Libertines etc etc).

The Smiths are pretty underrated, though. Maybe not in the UK, but in other countries.

YourLastAffront
06-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Rock Opera = the stupidest thing ever in my opinion.

UMadeMeRealise
06-15-2007, 09:29 PM
The Smiths are pretty underrated, though. Maybe not in the UK, but in other countries.

They're very underrated here too. The only Smiths song everyone seems to know is "How Soon Is Now?"

Anyway, I dug out my copy of Singles tonight. They really were a great band.

European Son
06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
They're very underrated here too. The only Smiths song everyone seems to know is "How Soon Is Now?"
Better than in Sweden, at least.

Me: Ever heard the Smiths?
Random Person: Who? :o

*looooong silence*

Me: :rant:

UMadeMeRealise
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Here, it probably would go more like this:

Me: Ever heard of the Smiths?
Random Person: Yeah, but Bon Jovi are so much better.
Me: :killaxe:

European Son
06-15-2007, 09:41 PM
:haha

Seriously, though. 98/100 has no idea who the Smiths are/were here, which is quite embarrassing, actually.