mixin the blues

PDA

View Full Version : mixin the blues

eridani
05-31-2006, 01:07 AM
ok i have a problem with my blues playing im kinda new to playing blues and im playing what i feel but it just comes out as two of the blues scales mixed together but it doesnt have the sound of Mayer or Vaughn or Waters so anybody got any tips to help me varietize?

FunkedUp
05-31-2006, 05:40 AM
Wouldn't you prefer someone to help you variate?

eridani
05-31-2006, 08:41 AM
yes i didnt know if variate was a word lol

eridani
05-31-2006, 12:12 PM
come on guys and gals i really need some imput and tips

inafantasy
05-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Learn modes and pentatonics, dont always play in the same frets, and practice!

Those seem to be the most essential, dont be afraid to make mistakes too, sometimes, you'll find a note that isn't in a scale pretty cool sounding.

thetearsibleed
06-01-2006, 10:47 AM
i agree learn modes:) especially the dorian mode i find works exceptionally well for blues and jazz

FunkedUp
06-01-2006, 12:28 PM
If you want to sound like Muddy Waters, tune your guitar to open D and get a slide, if you want to sound like SRV, learn to play fast and do lots of wanky pentatonic soloing; John Mayer I'm not really familiar with. In general, just do what other people have suggested

TUMFP
06-01-2006, 05:17 PM
If you want to sound like Muddy Waters, tune your guitar to open D and get a slide, if you want to sound like SRV, learn to play fast and do lots of wanky pentatonic soloing; John Mayer I'm not really familiar with. In general, just do what other people have suggested

was that speakin down upon SRV...thats a sin BTW Mayer is similar to SRV, his biggest influence...im assumin u mean JMT, right?

eridani
06-14-2006, 09:12 PM
was that speakin down upon SRV...thats a sin BTW Mayer is similar to SRV, his biggest influence...im assumin u mean JMT, right?

yeah i lmeant JM3 they're really awesome

~1954~
06-16-2006, 05:56 AM
What? you mean your mixing minor Pentatonic with major pentatonic? I do that all the time. you should never restrict yourself to box shapes and always play blues all over the neck- just like Robben Ford. :p: