Bass with ? jam sessions

PDA

View Full Version : Bass with ? jam sessions

sAxcrazedguitar
06-02-2006, 11:54 PM
I play alto sax and I have a friend who plays bass, so we improv together all the time. Anyone else do jam sessions with any other instrument and bass? :)

Dan Steinman
06-03-2006, 05:36 AM
i wish... most horn/woodwind players are band geeks who don't know a bit about improvising, let alone the pentatonic scale, and just read sheet music all their lives. pussies.

sAxcrazedguitar
06-03-2006, 02:26 PM
excuse me?? I am an alto saxophone, hard core jazz musician and a once bandnerd, and can improvise me heart out, not bragging or anything. generalizations like you used would make a lot of my friends pretty ticked.

psychodelia
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
That's the advantage of my school, we have a relatively strong jazz program so there's a decent selection of jazz horn players.

There's one alto player in particular who is pretty disgusting, I think I might ask him to stop by practice one day.

Falcatarius
06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
i wish... most horn/woodwind players are band geeks who don't know a bit about improvising, let alone the pentatonic scale, and just read sheet music all their lives. pussies.

excuse me?? I am an alto saxophone, hard core jazz musician and a once bandnerd, and can improvise me heart out, not bragging or anything. generalizations like you used would make a lot of my friends pretty ticked.

In all truthfullness, the players of woodwind and horn instruments at a high school level are pretty dismal. There are a few people or groups who truly shine out (generally from a better school program as psychodelia pointed out, or simply from passion for the instrument) but the majority are strictly sheet-music people.

However, I think it's understandable as woodwind and horn instruments are a lot harder to learn then guitar. All of this is simply what i've seen from my own experiences, if you feel i'm incorrect please do educate me. :)

I THINK the second poster was simply trying to say this. Only he made it seem like he was knocking on ALL people who play woodwind and horn instruments which i'm sure was accidental. If it wasn't... he's a moron.

And as for your original question, i've never had the pleasure of improvising with a woodwind or horn instrument, but i have enjoyed jamming with various bassists and drummers with my guitar quite consistantly.
I think it would be awesome to jam jazz with some woodwinds though, but i find Jazz needs more technical know-how then Blues so i bet i'd suck :(

Cheers!
-Falcatarius

ufossuck
06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I go to a drugged out hippie school, so there are plenty of musicinas there to jam with. I know too many guitarists to count, apart from myself, two pianists, three bassists, a saxophone guy and no drummers. A lack of drummers has prevented me from collaborating with other musicians, but I want to start a band.

black_rose.89
06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I go to a drugged out hippie school, so there are plenty of musicinas there to jam with. I know too many guitarists to count, apart from myself, two pianists, three bassists, a saxophone guy and no drummers. A lack of drummers has prevented me from collaborating with other musicians, but I want to start a band.
my school is generic s***!
it has too many guitarists and not enough drummers or bassists!
that stopped me from makin a band too!

Falcatarius
06-03-2006, 04:13 PM
my school is generic s***!
it has too many guitarists and not enough drummers or bassists!
that stopped me from makin a band too!

I know your pain. :(

Kind of hypocritical coming from me though, because i'm a guitarist.

psychodelia
06-03-2006, 04:45 PM
My school isn't too bad, but the music does kind of get a little inbred, it's like everyone is in everyone else's band. I have one bassist I stay with for most projects and we rotate all the other players.

It's a pity about jazz horn players in high school, though, I just think many music teachers don't set the bar high enough. They think, "Well they're just high school kids, they can't be expected to have a professional sound." Which I don't think is true, I've heard bands that I would assume to be professional if I didn't know I was at a high school festival.

Admittedly, if you don't have a massive school or a school that focuses specifically on music, you will probably not have a truly dedicated player on every part. There will be a few players who really love their instrument, and other players who enjoy playing but maybe don't practice as often as they should. My band is like that. Even so, we still set the bar high enough where we can get some great sounds out of the band.

Our teacher also makes sure that we get basic theory lessons. If you solo over a progression by just noodling on one scale, you will not sound professional. However, if you start hitting your 3rds and 7ths, you immediately start to sound better, even if you might not be the best soloist.

One day I want to check out some of the best programs in my area. There's one school in Massachusetts (I think it's Foxboro maybe? Not sure) where at least one player is getting a recording contract right out of high school. There's more potential in high school players than some people realize.

sAxcrazedguitar
06-04-2006, 01:15 AM
It's a pity about jazz horn players in high school, though, I just think many music teachers don't set the bar high enough. They think, "Well they're just high school kids, they can't be expected to have a professional sound." Which I don't think is true, I've heard bands that I would assume to be professional if I didn't know I was at a high school festival. [/QUOTE]

my director is exactly the opposite. he's hard core, bad ass, how dare you think you can act like you're only in high school. Former military, if you get my drift at the way he treats us.

psychodelia
06-04-2006, 01:23 AM
That's funny, my director is ex-military too haha. Maybe there's something to that.

Dan Steinman
06-04-2006, 04:18 AM
oh the delicious chaos my post has created! don't worry, i know damn well there are some incredible horn/woodwind improvisers out there. but the sad but true fact is that most high school music programs, especially marching bands, do not teach theory--at all--and all they do is mindlessly play pep tunes and concert pieces by rote, and the players become so hopelessly dependent on sheet music that they cannot even figure out simply melodies by ear, let alone improvise or have any sense of musical direction. they're not musicians, they're robots!

it is true that horn/woodwind players have trouble improvising, because they cannot visualize patterns as easily as guitarists or pianists. however, if they're serious, the espressive potential of these instruments is immense, and their repertoires are often more diverse than the same recycled riffs and chord progressions that rock guitarists use over and over. so here's to horn and woodwind players! :cheers:

psychodelia
06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
haha.... God I hated marching band

Dan Steinman
06-06-2006, 04:36 AM
oh god, marching band... i went to band camp for the first time (just for one day, i was thinking i might play xylophone) and the director said the purpose, the PURPOSE, mind you, of marching band was "to support the football team." my sister is in it and she knows zero theory, is utterly dependent on sheet music, and absolutely refuses to improvise. sad, really.