When Learning Jazz

PDA

View Full Version : When Learning Jazz

VR2005
06-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Do you guys just learn the head and then pick things out for the solo and just basically improvise or do you learn the entire thing? Just a query.

psychodelia
06-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Umm depends, I don't really understand the question.

Sometimes I will listen to tracks by jazz artists and try to learn the solos for ideas, in which case I would learn the entire song, sort of.

I wouldn't perform it that way though... I don't think it's too "jazz" to learn another guy's stuff note for note and then play it in a performance. For the performance I would learn the head and improvise, although I would probably use ideas from the songs I had previously learned.

Hope that answered it :)

sirpsycho85
06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
what do you mean the entire thing? do you mean the artist's solo? you should, if you really dig it. that is how most of the greats learned, just learning their idol's solos note for note. don't let any misguided person tell you that it's stupid to learn other people's solos, it's how the masters learned. obviously you don't have time to learn all the solos you like, but if theres one that stands out or one album or something, just try learning everything you can from it.

but yeah, for performing you want to get to the point where you can comfortably improvise on the changes.

CheckOutSerafin
06-09-2006, 03:46 AM
Does anyone have any good jazz songs that they suggest i learn, i've never tried to play any jazz before?

Evil_Empire24-7
06-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Autumn Leaves
All The Things Your Are
Night And Day
The Shadow Of Your Smile

many many more

Erc
06-09-2006, 11:08 AM
It is "jazz" to transcribe a piece in its entirety and learn from it.

It is not "jazz" to play that piece note for note as the original. That's just plain lame.

It is "jazz" to improv over and reharmonize the peice.

redwing_suck
06-09-2006, 12:48 PM
^Yeah, there aren't really "covers" in jazz... it's all about how the artist interprets the changes and the melody.

THAT'S what makes a jazz song: The changes/the progression. Just take those chords and reinterpret their harmonization, and bam, you've got a good "cover."

YoungPilgrim
06-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Does anyone have any good jazz songs that they suggest i learn, i've never tried to play any jazz before?

Start out with rythm stuff (ex. Freddie Green) before you work up to Wes Montgomery type solo stuff. Good rythm is key if you want to progress into solo stuff. As far as solos go, listen to Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, and Django Rheinhardt.

Be warned: Jazz is an extremely difficult genre. I don't care how well versed you are in rock/metal, jazz is a whole different world. Don't head into this style thinking you'll just pick it up. You have to study theory, not just scales, but chordal theory as well.

I hope you stick with jazz, because its difficulty makes it very rewarding. Good luck! :cheers:

VR2005
06-10-2006, 08:07 PM
On another note, are the Fake Books for Jazz really good for people looking to start out in jazz and get a grip on comping and such?

YoungPilgrim
06-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Learn chords, lots and lots of chords. Buy a book that has 7th, 9th, diminished, and half diminished chords in it. You could try the books that you mentioned, it couldn't hurt. Also check out the "Rocker's Guide To Jazz" thing that was in Guitar One a while back.

VR2005
06-11-2006, 01:15 PM
^ I don't really want a rocker's guide to jazz cause i'm coming from playing blues,funk,jam, and jazz thrown is more as a rhythmic touch than anything else.