Your views on A Randall

PDA

View Full Version : Your views on A Randall

dre-0
06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
So i went to a guitar shop today and I tried out the RandallRH200... i liked it becuase i use a ****ing Marshall mg 250(sucks)and a metalzone(i reall like the metalzone) with a ibanez jem and a gibson flying v. The only thing that makes the marshall sound good is the guitars. So I was wondering what are your views on this amp? If it you think it sucks what amp do you recommend? I pretty much have 700 dollars to waste on a amp, ive been saving for a while so im not saving anymore. I really want a peavy xxx but the half stack cost too much and the combo is only 40 watts. I just want an amp with a nice tone. What i really want to know is what are your views on the Randall rh200.

Thank you
-Dreo

AWguitar
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't know much about the Randall, but about the XXX, 40 tube watts is plenty loud. (And the XXX is one terrific amplifier)

ibanez4life SZ!
06-08-2006, 10:44 PM
A tube combo will have more than enough volume for you! Go with the XXX!

xxZeroxx
06-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Randall Amps are sweet!!

dre-0
06-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I was told Marshalls were sweet and look where that got me lol. (i think only the JCM's are good) but anyways thats not my point. for those who have thied the RH200 is it any good? And indeed the Peavy XXX is amazing, but 40 watts of great tone is great, im just gonna get it amplified with a pa system at shows anyways. But when it comes to practice my brother has a 100 watt amp and we are used to practacing loud. I dont want to get overpowerd.

-Dreo

xxZeroxx
06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
The RH200 is cool.I know a guy who has one he played it over the phone and it sounded good and i know it would sound beter in person.

TNfootballfan62
06-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Is it 100 watts solid state or tube? If its solid state, yours will easily keep up.

dre-0
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Facinating zero. And its a solid state Tnfotballfan. I never owned a tube amp so i wouldnt know. But thank you for the help. Keep it coming too. The more the better.

-Dreo

TNfootballfan62
06-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Ah, in that case, 40 watts all tube is more than enough to keep up with 100 SS watts. Especially since, as you crank yours the tone will get better, and as he cranks his, the tone will get worse. (generally speaking)

dre-0
06-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Interesting. I did not know that about tubes. Well if you guys think you know what i should waste my money on then be my guest and tell me. That XXX is sounding more amazing now. but the hell with that, if im gonna buy a 800 dollar amp thats 40 watts might as well buy the ****ing half stack.

Thank you very much
-Dreo

numbfinger
06-09-2006, 03:38 AM
well not reallly dude no one NEEDs a halfstack for show up to 250 people. Combos are loud as hell adn you only need to get over the drums really thats as loud as anyone can play (untill you mic up the drums) but the 40 watts will do you good

(ive nver played either amp so i dont know jack about them)

TNfootballfan62
06-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Interesting. I did not know that about tubes. Well if you guys think you know what i should waste my money on then be my guest and tell me. That XXX is sounding more amazing now. but the hell with that, if im gonna buy a 800 dollar amp thats 40 watts might as well buy the ****ing half stack.

Thank you very much
-Dreo

Tube amps are usually about 2.5 times louder than SS amps of the same watts, generally speaking. This does differ from amp to amp and tube brand to tube brand.

As far as the half stack thing, i'd stick with a combo personally. They are plenty loud and much more easy to carry around. You must also consider that if you get a half stack, cranking the amp would not be easy. You'd have to get really loud and piss a lot of people off. The fewer watts, the easier to crank your amp, and the better your tone.

LoveBuzz87
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I love my old 60's Randall Commander head its amazing, but like all SS sucks at high volume but I have no problem running it thought a custom 2x12 and Marshall 1960A cabs.

El Codyo
06-09-2006, 05:16 PM
I have the RH200, it's a good amp and all, one of the better SS amp's out there, but the XXX would get loud enough, have better tone, and suit you well, I would get the XXX if I was in your shoes.

dre-0
06-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I like your opinion Codyo. you own it and we seem to have a similar taste in music. Thank you for your help everyone.

-Dreo