Chuck Berry

PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Berry

Stop Messin'
06-10-2006, 06:35 PM
More young kids need to start appreciating Chuck Berry. He's the first rock n roll guitar hero and created one of the first memorable guitar riffs with Johnny B. Goode. He has a style that nobody else had/has. Most of his songs were chords, boogies and double stops, which sound great with Johnnie Johnson on Piano. Most people don't know that Willie Dixon played bass on alot of Chuck's early stuff.

John Lennon said one of my fav. quotes...."If you were going to give Rock N Roll another, you might call it Chuck Berry".

Chuck is the original King(sorry Elvis)

:down: Chuck Berry

TheHeartbreaker
06-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Chuck's pretty sweet.

I think you're missing part of your quote (you forgot "name"), but it's no matter.

S0ulja23
06-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I agree. Most kids these days are being poisoned with emo and pop punk. Without Chuck Berry, most of our heroes might not be playing.

opivy21
06-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I love Chuck Berry. I think of him every time I hear Rock N Roll.

estranged_2003
06-10-2006, 06:49 PM
without chuck we wouldnt have the guitar hero's of the last 25 years or so ie angus young.

TheHeartbreaker
06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
^^:haha :haha :haha

Sorry. Angus is good, but I don't in any way consider him a "guitar hero".

Tenacious Me
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
without chuck we wouldnt have the guitar hero's of the last 25 years or so ie angus young.
Funny that you mention Angus He copped all Chucks moves :p: Google video Chuck Berry and you see what I mean. ;)

I did a report on him this year because we had to do it on someone in our book and he was under rock music.

the glue man
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM
So many people copy his styles, and in a wide variety of music too. Punk bands like Black Flag, the Germs, New York Dolls, almost every punk band actually.

Metal music, country, it's cool how he inspired so many people.

Angus77
06-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Angus uses Chuck's moves as sort of a commemoration, last time I checked.

JackWhite1988
06-10-2006, 11:18 PM

Angus Young is not a guitar hero? hahahaha, get a load of this guy.

psychodelia
06-10-2006, 11:35 PM

He's ok, but doesn't seem like anything special to me.

Chuck definitely has a huge influence on rock, though. I prefer him to Elvis.

Iluvpowerchords
06-10-2006, 11:38 PM
It's funny because Chuck Berry was a huge influence on alot of the first wave of Punk Guitarists.

Tenacious Me
06-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Angus uses Chuck's moves as sort of a commemoration, last time I checked.
I wasn't trying to saying anything bad about Angus I love him. I was just saying Angus on stage is like Chuck Berry on caffeine.

Alander
06-11-2006, 10:04 PM
One of my favorites by him is school days...but lets not forgett my dingaling!!!

Shoestick
06-11-2006, 11:54 PM
I love Chuck Berry. I play in a cover band and all we play is 50s rock and roll and surf. A good portion of our set is made up of his stuff.

Kadaj
06-12-2006, 04:01 AM
Pfff, Chuck Berry wasn't the first. He stole all his moves from Marty McFly.

Stop Messin'
06-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Pfff, Chuck Berry wasn't the first. He stole all his moves from Marty McFly.

:haha i'm gonna sig that.

Stop Messin'
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Funny that you mention Angus He copped all Chucks moves :p: Google video Chuck Berry and you see what I mean. ;)

I did a report on him this year because we had to do it on someone in our book and he was under rock music.

:O i didn't think The Duck Walk was considered ALL moves. Chuck and Angus do The Duck Walk different ways.

Chuck does his with one leg, across the front of the stage. Angus does his with both legs where ever there is room. Up on scafolds, the stage, the runway, where ever he can.

BrainDamage
06-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Pfff, Chuck Berry wasn't the first. He stole all his moves from Marty McFly. "hello Chuck? this is Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry...you know that new sound you were looking for? Listen to this!" :p: great movie.

Anyway, I have a greatest hits CD laying around somewhere...I should give it a few more listens.

distilledspirit
06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Chuck Berry man! What an idol to have. I believe that he truely was the king of Rock n' Roll and I have no reason to apologize so **** Elvis. The man couldn't even write his own songs....but C Berr invented the guitar riff for sure, and he played with class.

freewheelinbird
06-12-2006, 09:56 PM

he's not really. compare his solos to a real guitar hero, like clapton or hendrix.

the only song i like by them is "ride on" because it's not just overdriven 3 chord progressions and bon scott trying to cough up a robert plant voice

glm
03-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Drop the corner right into the slot.

si!
03-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Drop the corner right into the slot.
:) you gotta hear something that's really hot....
yea, chuck berry kills, man, johny b. goode, rock n' roll music, awesome man, he kicks new music's ass.

Sloopy
03-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Chuck's a legend. Embrace it, don't deface it.

Sandman634
04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
If Chuck Berry didn't exist I don't think Rock "n" Roll would exist. He is a true inspiration,Guitarist or not!!

Lofgren
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm 15 and I really like Chuck's music

Sloopy
04-06-2007, 12:56 PM
^ Chuck, Jerry Lee, and Little Richard are my favourite of the "rock n' roll" era of the 50's.

belavista man
04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Personally, I think Chuck Berry is a little over-rated. Sure he created the master-peice that is Johnny-B-Goode and many others which have been convered by countless artists over the years, but some of his songs just begin to sound too... samey after a while.
Take Johnny-B-Goode, a fantastic song (almost all self-respecting guitarists will agree), then take Carol, which has a remarkably similar intro and structure to Johnny-B-Goode. Coincidence? I don't think so. Chuck simply fell into the trap of seeing that Johnny-B-Goode had all the right ingrediants in all the right places, and coppied it, thinking that people wouldn't notice. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, with Chuck or with his songs, it's just that, to me, it begine to bore me after a while.

(All this has been said by a guy who likes Status Quo - UNDER-RATED :S)

crazynickman
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Personally, I think Chuck Berry is a little over-rated. Sure he created the master-peice that is Johnny-B-Goode and many others which have been convered by countless artists over the years, but some of his songs just begin to sound too... samey after a while.
Take Johnny-B-Goode, a fantastic song (almost all self-respecting guitarists will agree), then take Carol, which has a remarkably similar intro and structure to Johnny-B-Goode. Coincidence? I don't think so. Chuck simply fell into the trap of seeing that Johnny-B-Goode had all the right ingrediants in all the right places, and coppied it, thinking that people wouldn't notice. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, with Chuck or with his songs, it's just that, to me, it begine to bore me after a while.

(All this has been said by a guy who likes Status Quo - UNDER-RATED :S)
I agree that a lot of his songs sound very alike (and BOY I mean very) but I still don't think he can be "rated" enough- his influence is more important than the 12-bar formula he used. He was amazingly influential and brought guitar to the forefront- even Elvis didn't use guitar like Chuck, he just plucked along. I think he deserves all the respect in the music world- he made popular music about the musician again, and not the committee of writers and musicians (although kudos to the Wrecking Crew- look them up if you don't know.)

belavista man
04-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I agree, Chuck Berry is and always will be the most influencial guitarist to come out duck-walking from the 50's, but i still stand by what I say. It's nice to listen to his stuff every now and then, but if i listen to it too much, it tend to ring in my ears...

tomisamonkeyman
04-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I believe to become a great guitarist you have to go through a stage where you play Chuck Berry licks and really listen to his music. If Chuck never picked up a guitar rock n roll would not at all be same, it might not of even exsist

Rhoads2000
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
"hello Chuck? this is Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry...you know that new sound you were looking for? Listen to this!" :p: great movie.

Anyway, I have a greatest hits CD laying around somewhere...I should give it a few more listens.
hey i was fixing to quote that :p:

Derigiberble
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah I could have been famous like him if I just rearranged Boogie Woogie piano pieces for guitar, but yeah, he's very influential. :rolleyes:

new1playa
04-08-2007, 10:22 PM
he is one of my favorite guitar heros. i listen to johnny b goode just to hear the guitar.

johnny_tapia
01-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I saw one of his concerts from 1972 on BBC3 the other night. Chuck really could play :cool:

hendrixfanatic
01-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Okay, his songs are very much alike, but who cares? He really invented rock 'n roll guitar playing as well as rock 'n roll songwriting, and with the alikeness (is that a word? It is, since I use it) of his songs, you can play Chuck Berry songs for like half an hour! (I really do that, to be honest, and you should try it yourself, it's great fun!)

I saw him live in december, and he was great! (Well, the show was too short, and he did play my dingelingeling, but he still is one of the great rock and blues guitar players in history!)

If you're interested, join the Chuck Berry Group!

The Chuck Berry group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/chuckberry/)

johnny_tapia
01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
He must be hella old now :p:

hendrixfanatic
01-19-2008, 09:17 PM
He must be hella old now :p:

81, but he still duckwalks (he doesn't go as low as he used to, but still, it's awesome)

johnny_tapia
01-19-2008, 09:37 PM
81, but he still duckwalks (he doesn't go as low as he used to, but still, it's awesome)
:eek:

That is awesome :p:

Thefallofman
01-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I can't remember a time I didn't love Chuck. He's as important to music as anyone. I'd love to see him live, a friend of mine did.

5kuzgib
01-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Chuck is a true pioneer and great performer. Highly influential.

...but he's known to be a complete and utter b*stard in real life, a really mean guy. But it's the music that counts :)

master
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Hail Hail Rock n' Roll is a great documentary on him. The part where he teaches "Carol" to Keef is priceless. :D

hendrixfanatic
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
^ Yeah, I just watched the movie, it's a killer.

Andrewbiles
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
He is apparently doing a one off gig over here soon. Its a secret show near (or in) Brighton, can't remember exactly. Tickets are something like 120 each, but its meant to be in a pub sized venue and a one off show.

master
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't know if it'd be worth going Andrewbiles. I heard from quite a few people who saw him lately that he pretty much lost all of his chops. It'd still be cool to see him just because he is this huge legend, though. especially at such a small venue.

Andrewbiles
02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not one to fork out that much cash for any gig ;)
Chuck is a legend though. They were showing a UK gig from the 70s on digital tv (BBC4) over here recently and it looked a bit of a laugh and quite good, but I can imagine what you say is true about him having lost it.

Peter Hayes
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
He invented Rock and Roll really --- lost it a long time ago, but you can't take it away from the guy.

johnny_tapia
02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
They were showing a UK gig from the 70s on digital tv (BBC4) over here recently and it looked a bit of a laugh and quite good, but I can imagine what you say is true about him having lost it.
I saw that. It was great :D

Dr.Jimmy
02-12-2008, 07:42 PM

First of all man in a series of interviews with a bunch of guitar legends and asking them what to tell aspiring players to play well and they all gave long winded explanations. When they got to Angus
"Two words
Chuck Berry"
Second he is a god.

Chuck invented Rock & Roll and we'd be lost without him.

master
02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I wasn't trying to saying anything bad about Angus I love him. I was just saying Angus on stage is like Chuck Berry on caffeine.

Caffeine? more like crack. :p: Angus is a beast on stage.

Andrewbiles
02-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I saw that. It was great :D

:cheers:
Just thought it was a shame it was a sitting crowd, and from what I remember a lot of people in suits. Seemed odd, but he and the backing band performed well.

johnny_tapia
02-13-2008, 10:55 AM
:cheers:
Just thought it was a shame it was a sitting crowd, and from what I remember a lot of people in suits. Seemed odd, but he and the backing band performed well.
Yeah. I seem to remember him playing the guitar between his legs or something :p:

Andrewbiles
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
That rings a bell. Can't honestly remember too much about what he was doing apart from during 'my ding-a-ling' when he was trying to get the crowd involved and the response he got was so stereotypical of an English middle class crowd.
Started doing some proper moves at the end of the set.

johnny_tapia
02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
This thread should be buzzing :mad:

andregomes
02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't wanna start a racial discussion, but I think Chuck was way superior to Elvis and was one of the main "creators" of Rock n Roll, just like Little Richard. But they were both black and in that time in the USA was really difficult for them to have success like Elvis did. For me, he's the real King, Elvis is just outward show and cover songs. Of course he had his influence back in his time, but as you can see Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" made a huge success with Elvis, but with him passed like "unknown". But now we know who were the real kings!

johnny_tapia
02-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I like Chuck and Elvis :p:

master
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Elvis was way more influential than the black performers you mentioned though. He was the one who introduced Rock n' Roll to the Whiteys and sparked their interest in the black music. He had a voice straight outta hell and I'd argue he was a better performers as well.

I remember an interview I saw with Lil' Richard and he said that at the start of his shows, all the white people were on top on the balconies while all the black people were at the bottom in front of the stage. By the end of the show the races were completely mixed and everyone was just having fun dancing with each other. Just thought that was so incredibly cool.

A Rolling Stone
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
To whoever finally started this thread...I Love You. No Joke. Chuck is one of the most creative and influential guitarists of all time and up until now it was a shame that no-one would talk about him...my favorite song is roll-over beethoven and favorite album is Johnny B. Goode