Marcel Coenen

PDA

View Full Version : Marcel Coenen

Harmonius
06-11-2006, 09:07 AM
There was a thread about him a loooong time ago but it's since disappeared and i'd like to resurrect him back from the dead. Anyway, any fans?

http://www.metalagesmedia.com/marcel/anthem.wmv

Resiliance
06-11-2006, 09:13 AM
He can play, but I don't think he's anything special.

Stratwizard
06-11-2006, 09:15 AM
He just goes into this "has a good technique, but is a boring wanker" category for me.

NevermorePsalm
06-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah...He's good...but is very boring.

Reemster
06-11-2006, 11:47 AM
He just goes into this "has a good technique, but is a boring wanker" category for me.

No offense, but he's anything but a boring wanker. I also seriously doubt that most of the people here have even a clue of what he is actually capable of. Shred, blues, jazz, fusion or any kind of music for that matter, he can play it damn well. Also, what he plays is always well thought out, well played, and tasteful.

I think it's pretty ridiculous that he doesn't get more credit around here, but maybe that's because I probably know about him than anyone here.

flamencogod
06-11-2006, 11:49 AM
^listen to that guy

Stratwizard
06-11-2006, 11:53 AM
No offense, but he's anything but a boring wanker. I also seriously doubt that most of the people here have even a clue of what he is actually capable of. Shred, blues, jazz, fusion or any kind of music for that matter, he can play it damn well. Also, what he plays is always well thought out, well played, and tasteful.

I think it's pretty ridiculous that he doesn't get more credit around here, but maybe that's because I probably know about him than anyone here.

Sorry, about that wanker remark. It was a tad harsh, I admit. I listened quite a lot of him, when I was getting into shred, but nowadays he bores me.

Reemster
06-11-2006, 12:02 PM
That's fine, I'm not at all saying that anyone has to like him, but I often feel that people's opinions on him are often based on just a record or two, whereas he's done so many different kinds of projects. If people heard those as well, they might think of him as "less boring"...
Still, it's all a matter of taste I guess, so I respect anyone's opinion on him, provided they're based on more than just a song or two of the same album :)

fa'q
06-11-2006, 12:19 PM
he's really something, but i wouldnt say hes boring. he's a member on the petrucciforum and people there sure like he's music

Resiliance
06-11-2006, 12:49 PM
That's fine, I'm not at all saying that anyone has to like him, but I often feel that people's opinions on him are often based on just a record or two, whereas he's done so many different kinds of projects. If people heard those as well, they might think of him as "less boring"...
Still, it's all a matter of taste I guess, so I respect anyone's opinion on him, provided they're based on more than just a song or two of the same album :)

Nah, I've seen Suncaged live twice too... And I still think he's pretty boring.

Reemster
06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
^ But that's exactly my point: Sun Caged is only one of the dozen different things he does. Just because you may find him boring in this band doesn't mean that he's a boring player altogether.

Resiliance
06-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I know... But the fact that I think he's boring... Means I think he's boring.

If you get my drift.

Reemster
06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Fair enough ;)

scheck006
06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
why are so many shredders so fat?

but look at that pinky go!

Mascot
06-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I thought his tone on Moyra was superb.

NevermorePsalm
06-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I never really liked his tone...

Resiliance
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Me neither.

Freepower
06-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I think he's alright, great player, but just not intense enough, fast enough, funny enough or different enough to catch my ear properly.

Mascot
06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I never really liked his tone...

I don't either - I just thought his tone on that one song was great.

SnowballofDoom
06-11-2006, 06:44 PM
I like him and his tone, so nyah.

Granted, I haven't heard anything from him that was "different", but I do still like him..

Reemster
06-11-2006, 06:55 PM
By the way, there will be two DVD releases of him this year. One is an instructional DVD, and the other is a concert he did in January to celebrate the release of his second solo album.
So if you're into a boring guitar player with suck-ish tone, go check that out. :devil:

;)