challenging classic rock songs to learn

PDA

View Full Version : challenging classic rock songs to learn

freewheelinbird
06-11-2006, 06:41 PM
ok so what are some classic rock songs that youve been working on that are a challenge to master?

right now i'm working on the allman brothers dreams...the solo is easy to improvise, but to do it the way he (i'm assuming that he wrote some of the solo...it's so damn melodic) did it, it's pretty damn tough. and also hoochie coochie man by ABB is pretty tough too...

and it doesn't seem tough now, but when i first started working on bron-y-aur stomp by led zeppelin, the fingerpicking and all the fancy gutiar work was really hard.

so what're you guys up to?

Dimebag22
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Eruption
Danm its such a B!tch!!!

Heyfredyourhat
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
freebird......i try but fail miserably

freewheelinbird
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
freebird......i try but fail miserably

the solo is like impossible to learn..because you either need 3 people, or the ability to pick out one guitar part and learn that...and reading the tabs are death

skynyrd in general is hard to do right.

Heyfredyourhat
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
the solo is like impossible to learn..because you either need 3 people, or the ability to pick out one guitar part and learn that...and reading the tabs are death

skynyrd in general is hard to do right.

i saw a vid clip of a freebird live....jesus they were good. Sounded very much like album, except vocals, but the guitars were insane

Lightnig Boy 14
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm working on Free bird not so hard if your accurate and moderately fast,alot of the solo is in the same general area on the guitar but i have a LP so it sounds just like it. Try Jhonny Be Goode, Chuck Berry is an excellent song writer, good little song to learn not that hard though.

Billy Badass
06-12-2006, 11:42 AM
The Freebird Solo isn't that difficult guys, it is the same licks over and over. If you're having trouble with that then you're in for a world of hurt when it comes time to learn the truly difficult classic rock songs.

TheUltimateSin
06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
^What comes easy for some doesn't for others. What appears simple to one may not be to someone else. So regardless of how easy that solo seems to you, it doesn't automatically make it an easy solo.

colin617
06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I've never quite been able to get the hang of Bron-Y-Aur by Zeppelin.

Derigiberble
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Personally, I don't find freebird too difficult at all to be honest, Little Wing was a bit of a bastard at first but it's fine now. Some Rush stuff is pretty annoying but nothing too difficult. Dunno, its pretty difficult to think of anything Classic Rock which is overly challenging for me personally. Maybe try learning Love and Confusion, or Castles Made of Sand by Hendrix.

If you want fingerpicking stuff, stay away from 99% of popular guitarists like Page, Clapton etc... Go pick up a CD of Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins and try and learn Cannonball Rag for a challenge. Or search up Bert Jansch and learn his version of Anji, thats a tricky bastard with a thumb pick.

TheHeartbreaker
06-12-2006, 08:42 PM
and also hoochie coochie man by ABB is pretty

I'm learning that too, actually.

I've got an Allman Brothers tab book, and the main thing I find hard about the song is that, for some reason, the book publishers decided that they could save pages by placing the two guitars into the same bar instead of each one on individual ones like they do with EVERY OTHER SONG.

Other than that I don't think it's that bad, but it'll take a while to learn everything.

Jesse Mrau
06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Foxglove by Bruce Cockburn. It's in open C tuning, and has some nice fingerpicking. I find it to be farily challenging and I'm about midway through it.

distilledspirit
06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm working on Achillies Last Stand (Led Zeppelin) with my bnand. The guitar in that song is very difficult to compile and to remember. Very hard for me, but I can pull it off ;)

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Pretty much any Jimi Hendrix solo is pretty hard, and, you guys probly never heard of it, but Riddle by The Roasted Fingers is pretty hard.

-AliceCooper
06-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Pretty much any Jimi Hendrix solo is pretty hard, and, you guys probly never heard of it, but Riddle by The Roasted Fingers is pretty hard.

if you wrote it, it cant be that hard...

jk (but not really :p: )

(and were not called that, its the worst name of all time),

a lot of rush is hard, like a lot of the solos, but not that bad, some of the cream solos are tough, but then again some are simple, and van halen solos are insanely hard except for runnin' with the devil and aint talkin' bout' love...

psychodelia
06-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Yours is no Disgrace by Yes. It's not the fastest thing by any stretch, but getting some of the guitar runs down so they're smooth, even, and clean takes a bit of work for me.

For melodic solo stuff, I'm working on Europa and Another Brick in the Wall.... they aren't too technically challenging, but I'm trying to get all my bends as in-tune as possible, better vibrato, phrasing, etc.

TheHeartbreaker
06-13-2006, 07:10 AM
^^Do you know where I could find a tab for Yours is no Disgrace?

There isn't an accurate one on the site, as far as I know.

stonegolem13
06-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Echoes is prettty difficult and none of the ones ive seen on this site have the full version!:grrr:

BlueOyster23
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Alot of people mentioned Rush, and I, of course, can agree, due to some awkward solos, and the changing time signatures.

^...And Floydianism? Sounds like a blatant rip off of Zeppelinism.

stonegolem13
06-13-2006, 02:39 PM
^ I made up the name Pink Floydianism about two years back when i wasn't on this site. I was thinking about converting from christianity to my own religion, then i got fed up with it and decided to just stop going to church.

EDIT: also The Heartbreaker is the pope of Zepplinism whereas i am the frist prophet of Pink Floydianism [Prophet before pope]

TheHeartbreaker
06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
^^Pssh... uncreative bastard. ;)

ridcullylives
06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Maybe Clapton's 13-minute long guitar solo on the live version of Steppin' Out? It's not my favorite solo, but the man keeps a steady stream of notes going for 13 ****ing minutes and manages to repeat himself surprisingly little.

WlCmToTheJungle
06-13-2006, 07:05 PM
no one has said "D3dE Sm0keE On! dA wAdErrr, is Thee PwnAge@!$@" yet

TheHeartbreaker
06-13-2006, 09:00 PM
^^Maybe because its not hard? :confused:

Yeah, that's why...

ZeppelinFan3890
06-13-2006, 10:13 PM
He might have been being sarcastic but I'm not sure.

At any rate, Smoke On The Water definitely isn't Blackmore's most difficult work.

rayIII
06-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Freebird + Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp + The Clap

TheHeartbreaker
06-13-2006, 10:36 PM
He might have been being sarcastic but I'm not sure.

At any rate, Smoke On The Water definitely isn't Blackmore's most difficult work.

He was, but it was a stupid post nonetheless, and it didn't make me laugh in the least bit which I'm sure he was aiming for.

Lightnig Boy 14
06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Babe i'm gonna leave you,it's forcing me to use strange hand positions but i'll perfect in a week or so, and 1 bourbon 1 scotch and 1 beer, has great hard slide parts and the lyrics are so talk and not sing, it's really funny to listen to.

psychodelia
06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
^^Do you know where I could find a tab for Yours is no Disgrace?

There isn't an accurate one on the site, as far as I know.

Missed this post, my bad lol

The powertab on the site seems pretty accurate compared to the recording, I checked it against the recording a year or two ago and it looked good then (The guitar part, mind you, I can't speak for the keys or bass).

edit: In case you're wondering, it hasn't taken me a year to learn it, at the time I just wanted to learn a few of the licks. In case you were wondering ;)

Muaddib
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Depends what do you mean by hard ...

Sure eruption can make your fingers bleed, but pulling out shine one you crazy diamond solos perfectly with no backfire noises on the bazillion bends in the song is a bitch.

Gilmour's my god.

stonegolem13
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
^^Pssh... uncreative bastard.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

BrainDamage
06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Maybe Clapton's 13-minute long guitar solo on the live version of Steppin' Out? It's not my favorite solo, but the man keeps a steady stream of notes going for 13 ****ing minutes and manages to repeat himself surprisingly little. Steppin' Out is absolutely rediculous. I love it :)

Yours is no Disgrace by Yes. It's not the fastest thing by any stretch, but getting some of the guitar runs down so they're smooth, even, and clean takes a bit of work for me. I've actually gotten pretty good at Yours Is No Disgrace. It was a pain to learn, and it's impossible to put together with other instruments (I tried it with the bass player in my band...yikes), but I can play it pretty well on my own.

If anyone wants a challenge, go learn Sound Chaser or Clap by Yes. That should keep you busy for a while ;)

add45
06-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Freebird is brilliant, I'm gonna attempt to learn it now :haha

Challenging... How's about All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

It's not all that hard, but when I was learning it, I found it challenging.

NineInchNails_0
06-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't work on songs. I try one, and if I fail, I give up.

TheHeartbreaker
06-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Missed this post, my bad lol

The powertab on the site seems pretty accurate compared to the recording, I checked it against the recording a year or two ago and it looked good then (The guitar part, mind you, I can't speak for the keys or bass).

edit: In case you're wondering, it hasn't taken me a year to learn it, at the time I just wanted to learn a few of the licks. In case you were wondering ;)

Damn, I don't have PowerTab. :sad:

add45
06-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Damn, I don't have PowerTab. :sad:

Same here :(

Prophet of Page
06-15-2006, 08:07 AM
I honestly never found any classic rock to be very challenging.

Fenda
06-15-2006, 08:13 AM
I can play the quite a few solo's, they just sound crap. I blew all my spending money on a effects pedal, and still ahve a ****ty amp, but i will get a better one soon.

stonegolem13
06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Damn, I don't have PowerTab.

You can download it if you try to open one on this site then follow the links.
(It's not all that great)

Garf72
06-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Guitar Pro pwns, use Limewire or a torrent site to get it, if you, eh, don't mind not paying

BrainDamage
06-16-2006, 01:42 PM
I honestly never found any classic rock to be very challenging. well then you have not tried to learn any Yes :)

Derigiberble
06-16-2006, 01:45 PM
well then you have not tried to learn any Yes :)

I can play Yes ;) Steve Howes good, but he's not exceptionally challenging.

BrainDamage
06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
^^I can play some stuff also, but there is some Yes that is exceptionally challenging :p:

P.S.- Derigiberble, you still owe me those two Black Crowes CDs...the show is in a month and I still don't have them ;)

TheHeartbreaker
06-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Guitar Pro pwns, use Limewire or a torrent site to get it, if you, eh, don't mind not paying

I can't download Limewire or anything because I don't have my own computer and my parents would be pissy about it.

Derigiberble
06-16-2006, 02:13 PM
^^I can play some stuff also, but there is some Yes that is exceptionally challenging :p:

P.S.- Derigiberble, you still owe me those two Black Crowes CDs...the show is in a month and I still don't have them ;)

Aww gay i forgot about that. I hate you for getting to see them you homo.

BrainDamage
06-16-2006, 02:15 PM
^^I technically don't have tickets yet, but I'm pissing off my friend, whose dad knows someone who can get me tickets, and if that fails, my other friend's mom is a ticket broker, and if that fails, there's always the day of the show :)

Prophet of Page
06-16-2006, 02:22 PM
well then you have not tried to learn any Yes :)

Seriously, if I can play some Cacophony I doubt I'd have much trouble with Yes.

theplague101
01-03-2012, 06:19 PM
if you can find a good tab for it anywhere, terrapin station part 1 by the grateful dead is ridiculous
or anything done by jerry garcia.
and shine on you crazy diamond is a good one