Future Classic Rock Bands

PDA

View Full Version : Future Classic Rock Bands

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
I was wondering what modern or 90's band you guys think will be considered classic rock in 30 years.

1.Smashing Pumpkins

2.Green Day (Hate them but they'll still probly be classic rock then)

3.Jet

4.Collective Soul

5.Velvet Revolver

6.Guns N' Roses(Cause some dont consider them classic rock now)

and thats all i can think of right now

paintITblack39
06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Oasis, RHCP, Coldplay, Incubus and some of the bands the threadstarter mentioned above.

IlikeTheSKA
06-12-2006, 09:46 PM
In 30 years, Smashing Pumpkins will still be considered alternative, Greenday will still be pop-punk, and so on.

It's not like the classic rock genre gets new bands added to it every however-many years.

hobo467
06-12-2006, 09:46 PM
I say Pumpkins of those options; Green Day will be called "Classic Punk."

I hate Jet.

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I say Pumpkins of those options; Green Day will be called "Classic Punk."

I hate Jet.

I wouldnt consider the Pumpkins Punk at all, unless there's a kind of punk called "Smashing Pumpkin Punk"

Generalpwnt
06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Doesn't classic rock include any of the older bands? Like anything from the 70's is considered classic rock right? So wouldn't that mean any of the bands from the 90's will be considered classic rock in the 30's? Correct me if I'm wrong.

deadhead313313
06-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Exactly what IlikeTheSKA said.

Either way, this isn't related to whats considered CR now.

So...

*reported*

guitarshark2099
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM

So...

*reported*

damn man, give the kid a break..

give the mods something else to worry about

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM

So...

*reported*

You really ****in hate me dont you. And it does have to do with classic rock so if it gets deleted im gonna be pissed

distilledspirit
06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Classic Rock as we know it today will still be classic rock in 20-30 years. If you ask someone in 20 years who's your favorite classic rock band, I beg to differ that they'll say Green Day.

jsxxx
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
what is it with you jerks reporting every thread no matter how minimal the infraction. its so annoying to be reading an interesting thread and then see "HAHAHAHAHAHA IM SMARTUR THAN U WRONG FORUMZ ********************************REPORTED******************************"

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Classic Rock as we know it today will still be classic rock in 20-30 years. If you ask someone in 20 years who's your favorite classic rock band, I beg to differ that they'll say Green Day.

Well kids now, that will be grown ups then, will consider Green Day their
classic rock when they get older cause they will be running the world.

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
what is it with you jerks reporting every thread no matter how minimal the infraction. its so annoying to be reading an interesting thread and then see "HAHAHAHAHAHA IM SMARTUR THAN U WRONG FORUMZ ********************************REPORTED******************************"

Its not everyone its just deadhead and he has reported every thread i have made.

Is there any way i can report anyone for reporting to much?

EDIT:UHH sorry for the double post, AGAIN.

ledzep1991
06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
You really ****in hate me dont you. And it does have to do with classic rock so if it gets deleted im gonna be pissed

wow, you really are a little b itch arent you?

oops wrong quote, sorry i ment to quote the dead head guy

ledzep1991
06-12-2006, 09:58 PM

So...

*reported*

YOUR THE B ITCH I WANTED TO QUOTE...

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:58 PM
wow, you really are a little b itch arent you?

oops wrong quote, sorry i ment to quote the dead head guy

Youd be mad to if deadhead has reported every thread you have ever created, and im not kidding either.

BUT, back on topic.

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Youd be mad to if deadhead has reported every thread you have ever created, and im not kidding either.

BUT, back on topic.

Sorry i posted this whene it was still against me, and yes this is again a double post but i have to apologize.

freewheelinbird
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
In 30 years, Smashing Pumpkins will still be considered alternative, Greenday will still be pop-punk, and so on.

It's not like the classic rock genre gets new bands added to it every however-many years.

yeah. 15 years ago, led zeppelin and hendrix were still classic rock

distilledspirit
06-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Well kids now, that will be grown ups then, will consider Green Day their
classic rock when they get older cause they will be running the world.

I'm sure people will correct them for calling GD classic. I think we gave classic rock the term "classic" becuase that's what got rock music started (any kind). So Green Day might be considered CR to some absent-minded people but not to any well-street-educated person.

EDIT: Led.Zep1 you have no idea how this forum works. Stop quoting yourself and double posting. For registering in january you should know these simple regulations by now.

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I didnt join in january i joined last week. JUN stands for june:rolleyes:

Maet
06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Classic Rock is a genre that doesn't change. Not a time window that moves.

Now shut the fuck up, and stop making stupid threads. There's rules for a reason. :rolleyes:

distilledspirit
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I didnt join in january i joined last week. JUN stands for june:rolleyes:
OK I thought it said Jan instead of Jun, but still you should pay attention to things like this. Maybe that's why you get reported all the time.

Dammit Missed T
06-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Anyways, moving back to the subject in hand - I can't see Green Day being regarded as classic rock. I wouldn't say that they're fan base is strong enough to support them being that famous in 30 years time. Maybe if they'd stayed at the strength they were at during the early-mid 90s, but not now. I think that Velvet Revolver have the potential but on the basis of their first album they won't be that famous in 30 years time. GNR are to me classic rock already. Jet don't stand a cat in hell's chance - I personally do like them, but unfortunately they went too mainstream with "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and now everyones like "Jet suck - they're not proper rock".

I reckon that there are some bands getting big now that could last the distance - the Answer for example. I've seen them twice and the crowd they pulled was so varied. Because they have that 70's feel to them they had all the 40-50yr olds, and cos they're just so awesome, loads of teenagers and students were there too. It's all about building up the right kind of fanbase - IMO if you've got a large, strong, loyakl fanbase you should be able to make it, if you can release a highly influencial album.

Oh and deadhead, get a life man, this is relevant to classic rock. Where else is it supposed to go? tit.

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 10:10 PM
distilledspirit I got reported before i made my double post but i will be sure to watch that from now on.

and Maet dont you think we should be a little more open minded to let great bands of modern day be aloud in classic rock

Maet
06-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh and deadhead, get a life man, this is relevant to classic rock. Where else is it supposed to go? tit.

Err... No it's not. I know it's starting to get to a point where being an idiot and the classic rock forum go hand in hand, but because this thread is based on an undisputely false idea, there's no point for it to exist. Deadhead, or anyone else has every right, hell, the obligation, to report this thread.

and Maet dont you think we should be a little more open minded to let great bands of modern day be aloud in classic rock

No, since they will never be classic rock. :rolleyes:

deadhead313313
06-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Isn't that what the Modern Rock Forum is for?

led.zep1
06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
no because this is about classic rock of the future...

deadhead313313
06-12-2006, 10:16 PM
-insert movie guy voice- TODAY!

We're talking about right now. UG pertains to things that are happening as of now. Not what will happen in the future, or who will become what over time. They're not classic rock now (nor will they ever be), so don't talk about them here.

Maet
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM

I'm having a really hard time trying to understand what you're not getting about this...

Classic Rock is a genre, not a moving time window. Therefore, no matter how old Green Day or Velvet Revolver, or even Guns and Roses become, they will not be considered classic rock.

Your logic dictates that The Beatles in 200 years become classical music.

-AliceCooper
06-12-2006, 10:27 PM

if it was from the future it wouldnt be classic rock, and none of the bands you mentioned except g nr will be considered classic rock, and thats only because they arent old enough, and the smashing pumpkins? no way!

Dammit Missed T
06-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Err... No it's not. I know it's starting to get to a point where being an idiot and the classic rock forum go hand in hand, but because this thread is based on an undisputely false idea, there's no point for it to exist. Deadhead, or anyone else has every right, hell, the obligation, to report this thread.

No, since they will never be classic rock. :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope you're not calling me an idiot, because you're very much mistaken. This is an argument over personal opinion about how to define the classic rock genre. And bands to change genre over time. Led Zeppelin haven't always been classic rock, in their high point they were Heavy Metal, or blues or even pop (by definition, they were popular music). Now because the definitions of genres have evolved over time, they have become classic rock. What's to stop the same thing happening again? Would you classify a band like The Answer or Wolfmother as classic or modern? They sound like classic rock but they're a modern band.

cadmium_blimp
06-12-2006, 11:03 PM
There is also the fact that as time goes on some bands are determined to be classic while classic bands remain classic. Time weeds out the bands that really weren't any good at all. I vote for Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age.

deadhead313313
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
You guys can argue your points all you wish, but the fact remains, those bands aren't classic rock, and you can't change the forum rules by argueing that. So, let the discussion end, and I wouldn't continue posting, because warnings may be posted, this being a reported thread.

cadmium_blimp
06-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Nobody is saying they ARE classic rock bands. This is idle speculation on who WILL be classic. You guys are so anal about what can and can't be said and where it can and can't be said here.

ZeppelinFan3890
06-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Okay, I just read a little bit of this, and here's my thoughts...

I swear to God, if I hear Green Day considered classic rock, considered with the likes of Zeppelin, Floyd, etc., considered to be as good as them, I'm committing suicide.

Sorry for the emo comment. But there's nothing like true classic rock.

TheUltimateSin
06-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Nobody is saying they ARE classic rock bands. This is idle speculation on who WILL be classic. You guys are so anal about what can and can't be said and where it can and can't be said here.

But what you airheads are missing is the fact that this forum is for disccusing bands that are considered Classic Rock RIGHT NOW. Not ten years from now, not 5 minutes from now. RIGHT NOW.

The "Classic Rock" title is a fixed point that will not change with time. It is a set period of years that has a fixed start point and a fixed stop point that do not fluctuate according to progression through time.

Dammit Missed T
06-13-2006, 01:53 AM
But what you airheads are missing is the fact that this forum is for disccusing bands that are considered Classic Rock RIGHT NOW. Not ten years from now, not 5 minutes from now. RIGHT NOW.

The "Classic Rock" title is a fixed point that will not change with time. It is a set period of years that has a fixed start point and a fixed stop point that do not fluctuate according to progression through time.

What are these set points then. If they exist, you should be able to provide exact dates.

Surely by definition, "Classic Rock" is a genre describing Rock songs that are considered Classic . Therefore, songs within that category will alter over time. However, if you are classing it as a musical style, then you have to include modern bands that sound similar to those already within the genre. If you are classing it as bands that have been around a set period of time, then any band that could vaguely be described as rock that are however many years old would qualify. Your point is therefore invalid.

Don't call me an airhead. It's highly inaccurate, and unnecessary.

TheUltimateSin
06-13-2006, 01:59 AM
I was referring to this forum's set CR date restrictions. In reality, everyone is entitled to their own judgement, within reasonable bounds. Can't be going around calling Nirvana or Korn Classic Rock