Pink Floyd Reunite?

PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd Reunite?

snipelfritz
06-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Well we've all probably heard of Nick Mason's little outcry (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/nick_mason_pink_floyd_reunion_will_happen.html) of the possibility of a true PF reunion. At first I thought he had gone back to drugs again, but I when I went to Roger Waters' official website, I was surprised to find a picture of the group together from Live 8 bearing a caption of 'Anything is Possible.' Could Roger be endoarsing a PF get-together?
Check it out for yourself (http://www.Rogerwaters.com)

As far as I know of, David Gilmour hasn't announced anything new on the subject.

What all do you think?

VoodooChild15
06-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I think David'll probably muck it up with some lame excuse about his solo career being more important.

R0CKER1220
06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I hope they do. That would be amazing to be able to see them.

Rush Fan 06
06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
interesting, but i highly doubt it would happen. unless they needed money or something. it'de be sick if they did though

Leonheart
06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I thought it said in guitar world that Waters wanted to reunite. I thought David Gilmor said something like "that part of my life is over".

distilledspirit
06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Actually I think David would want to. He had a recent interview(the one where he busted to the Stones) where he said there was no reason to tour because they've already made their money and to tour again would make it seem like they were trying to do the same as the Stones. (PF is such a classy band) But in the nick Mason interview he said he''ll try to reuinte them by ways of love rather than a cause for money.

But when you think about it, if Floyd tour again, the tickets would sell out in a day and you'd be lucky enough to get 1 ticket in the nosebleeds, but what's so bad about that??

punge
06-15-2006, 05:12 PM
that would incredible, but the concerts would be for the rich stock brokers and their familys, to expensive for an average joe like you and me, plus they probobley wouldnt even tour in the states, but then again if they did it wouldnt matter.

FadingRoots
06-15-2006, 05:14 PM
David IS the one that said he wouldn't want to get floyd back together, Leonheart is right...

Spamwise
06-15-2006, 06:25 PM
In a recent GuitarWorld interview, Gilmour said that his wife helped him write the song Learning to Fly (from A momentary lapse of reason), and he said that it really brought them both closer, and that's what he does with his solo albums. so, if he enjoys it more, i doubt he'd reunite with pink floyd.

though, who knows, maybe he will reunite for one final tour...but imagine the ticket prices..

trey-col89
06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Gilmour won't do it because his childish 'pride' (or ego, whatever you want to call it) won't allow him to. Its clear they all WANT to get back together... Waters is on tour with Mason and Gilmour is on tour with Wright, they all love playing the old Floyd stuff, its just that Gilmour can't put aside his difference with Waters.

Andrewbiles
06-15-2006, 07:49 PM
On one hand I hope they do decide to reunite, but on the other I'm really starting to get fed up with these past it rock bands trying to re-create what they did in the 70s so I hope they don't. Dave's doing well on his solo career and I feel the others should also just get on with what they're doing. It'd be nice if they played a couple of one off shows, but if they go on to do a world tour they'll definately lose a lot of my respect.

rplb
06-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Man how much money I would spend to go see them i really hope it happens.

How good of an album do you think they could put out if they decided to make one? I think that would be really interesting cause it would be the first time roger and dave really worked together since the wall. (I know this is a real long shot).

TheHeartbreaker
06-15-2006, 08:41 PM
On one hand I hope they do decide to reunite, but on the other I'm really starting to get fed up with these past it rock bands trying to re-create what they did in the 70s so I hope they don't. Dave's doing well on his solo career and I feel the others should also just get on with what they're doing. It'd be nice if they played a couple of one off shows, but if they go on to do a world tour they'll definately lose a lot of my respect.

I sort of agree, but I'd really like to have the chance to see them live in my life, and this is the same hope of many others (especially the younger people) who, for the most part, have to put up with ****ty music.

ZeppelinFan3890
06-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I sort of agree, but I'd really like to have the chance to see them live in my life, and this is the same hope of many others (especially the younger people) who, for the most part, have to put up with ****ty music.

No kidding..there's like maybe, 5 or so modern rock bands with good talent that I listen to. RHCP, Tool, and Muse to list a few.

Andrewbiles
06-16-2006, 06:50 AM

Classic rock is for the lazy.
When these old bands tour though I feel it removes that legendary mist from around them. Just leaves them open to bashing and disapproval from another generation of fans and critics. My opinion obviously, but they just wouldn't be the same band if they got back together and toured. But then again, if they did tour I'd happily get a couple of tickets. It's one of those situations where they've talked about it so much now that it'd be a disappointment in some respects, but amazing in others.

telex289
06-16-2006, 06:58 AM
gilmour needs to get hit balls tied... he's being acting like a little bitch ovre this whole thing... there are so many fans out there, i need to be able to see pink floyd in my life.. JUST ONCE!

VoodooChild15
06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm sick of this "All modern music sucks" thing. I counted the other day, and I actually listen to more modern bands than classic ones these days. If you think stuff today is all , then you're not looking hard enough.

psychodelia
06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
^ Agreed. I don't see any reason for most CR bands to reunite. Like andrewbiles said, it removes some of the aura around them.

Spamwise
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
gilmour needs to get hit balls tied... he's being acting like a little bitch ovre this whole thing... there are so many fans out there, i need to be able to see pink floyd in my life.. JUST ONCE!
Considering what Waters did, i'd be pretty pissed too.

BlueHonu
06-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I'd f***ing sell my soul to go tho that concert!

BrainDamage
06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
interesting, but i highly doubt it would happen. unless they needed money or something. it'de be sick if they did though I would hope that they would do it for the music, and not the money...

TheHeartbreaker
06-16-2006, 02:08 PM
^^As does Nick Mason.

Prophet of Page
06-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I doubt anything will come of it.

xSepulturax
06-16-2006, 05:55 PM
I think David already said he doesnt want to reunite, hes done with Pink Floyd

MountainJam
06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
It's funny though, Roger's ego broke up the band. But now David's ego is preventing them from reuniting. Sounds like Dave is the only one holding a grudge

GivePeasAChance
06-16-2006, 06:52 PM
It's funny though, Roger's ego broke up the band. But now David's ego is preventing them from reuniting. Sounds like Dave is the only one holding a grudge
You can't really make that accusation...we really don't have that much info on it.

FadingRoots
06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
The May issue of Guitar World made that pretty clear...

rmr024
06-16-2006, 09:25 PM
^^^the whole deal w/ Wright didnt really help at all either

ufossuck
06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Unless Syd Barrett will be there, I don't care.

VoodooChild15
06-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm remembering an almost identical reaction when the first rumors about Live 8 started floating around. "It'll never happen, nothing will ever come of it" everyone said. Not saying I believe wholeheartedly that it would happen, just that we've been proven wrong before.

Anyway, I think that Floyd is one of the few classic rock bands that could make a new album now that's comparible to their old stuff. Unlike Zeppelin or the Stones or the Who or any of their contemporaries, Floyd always had a sort of ageless sound. Watching Live 8 last summer, I thought to myself that Dave's voice almost matches his appearance better now than it did in the early seventies. I think part of their ability to play the same way indefinitely is that they were one of the few bands that wasn't about...carnal pleasures. As awesome as a Zeppelin reunion would be, their music is very much that of the young. Robert prancing around suggestively to Whole Lotta Love would be downright creepy. But Pink Floyd could pull it off. Hell, they have pulled it off last year. So yeah, that's my two cents.

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Well if they did it for music and not money then they should play outdoors like live 8 but play for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Spamwise
06-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm remembering an almost identical reaction when the first rumors about Live 8 started floating around. "It'll never happen, nothing will ever come of it" everyone said. Not saying I believe wholeheartedly that it would happen, just that we've been proven wrong before.

Anyway, I think that Floyd is one of the few classic rock bands that could make a new album now that's comparible to their old stuff. Unlike Zeppelin or the Stones or the Who or any of their contemporaries, Floyd always had a sort of ageless sound. Watching Live 8 last summer, I thought to myself that Dave's voice almost matches his appearance better now than it did in the early seventies. I think part of their ability to play the same way indefinitely is that they were one of the few bands that wasn't about...carnal pleasures. As awesome as a Zeppelin reunion would be, their music is very much that of the young. Robert prancing around suggestively to Whole Lotta Love would be downright creepy. But Pink Floyd could pull it off. Hell, they have pulled it off last year. So yeah, that's my two cents.
That's a very good point..

pinkfloyd666
06-17-2006, 11:50 AM
honestly they should reunite w/o gilmour, i love gilmour but i think he's a douche. everyone else wants a reunion and the fans want a reunion but gilmour doesn't, so they should find a replacement just like he did for waters.

Master Shake
06-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Gilmour does/plays what he wants and i see no probelm with that, hes old and wise enought to make that decision. I am persoanlly not going to hold anything against him if he doesnt want to but i also see no problem to set differences aside with Waters, sure they have different views but they are coleeges not friends and they made some great music together and he really needs to just get over it. I would love to think of the chance of a PF reunion tour, he plays a lot of classics in his shows anyway, why not do them together??

Spamwise
06-17-2006, 03:18 PM
honestly they should reunite w/o gilmour, i love gilmour but i think he's a douche. everyone else wants a reunion and the fans want a reunion but gilmour doesn't, so they should find a replacement just like he did for waters.
It's not pink floyd without gilmour. I think for pink floyd to have that same sound they need every band member.

BrainDamage
06-17-2006, 05:34 PM
As awesome as a Zeppelin reunion would be, their music is very much that of the young. Robert prancing around suggestively to Whole Lotta Love would be downright creepy. ewww :haha

But Pink Floyd could pull it off. Hell, they have pulled it off last year. So yeah, that's my two cents.
I definately think they can pull it off, if the Floyd stuff Gilmour and Waters are playing at their solo shows sounds good w/o the rest of the band, they would sound even better when playing together. Choosing a setlist would be freaking impossible though.

ufossuck
06-17-2006, 06:03 PM
It's not pink floyd without gilmour. I think for pink floyd to have that same sound they need every band member.
They were Pink Floyd without Gilmour. Ever heard of Syd Barrett? Syd was a better singer and songwriter than Roger and David.

JackWhite1988
06-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Actually I think David would want to. He had a recent interview(the one where he busted to the Stones) where he said there was no reason to tour because they've already made their money and to tour again would make it seem like they were trying to do the same as the Stones. (PF is such a classy band) But in the nick Mason interview he said he''ll try to reuinte them by ways of love rather than a cause for money.

But when you think about it, if Floyd tour again, the tickets would sell out in a day and you'd be lucky enough to get 1 ticket in the nosebleeds, but what's so bad about that??

See..that's why David Gilmour gets on my nerves b/c obviously he's more concerned about money than music. Now, we all know that the music industry is first and foremoust a business but thats why it makes more sense for bands like Pink Floyd and The Stones to tour b/c now they can afford to play as long as they choose to. They're in charge of their careers and money for the first time in their lives. David Gilmour is a legendary guitar player and a major influence on my playing, but he's just really bizarre as a person.

BrainDamage
06-17-2006, 06:13 PM
They were Pink Floyd without Gilmour. Ever heard of Syd Barrett? Syd was a better singer and songwriter than Roger and David. well...I wouldn't go thaaat far :)