Are you going to pick up the who's "mini album"?

PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to pick up the who's "mini album"?

Spamwise
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
If you saw the news on the UG main page, the who is releasing an 11 minute long album on July 10th.

I'll probably get it..since it is the who

ArcherTheVMan
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
just cos its 11 minutes long doesnt mean its not good.

Spamwise
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I know, but i have quite a few songs that are longer, so i think it's kinda funny.

DownDark
06-15-2006, 06:40 PM
It's not an album, it's and EP that contains the title track which is an 11 minute long epic. I'll download that, but I might pick up the actual album when it's released.

rplb
06-15-2006, 07:42 PM
hmm i havnt heard of this anyone have a link to what it's all about

VoodooChild15
06-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll download it. If Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine from Then and Now are any indication of what the new material will sound like, its not worth my money.

freewheelinbird
06-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I'll download it. If Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine from Then and Now are any indication of what the new material will sound like, its not worth my money.

: :eek: are you serious??? i love those songs

VoodooChild15
06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
: :eek: are you serious??? i love those songs

Really? I didn't care for them at all. When I think of the Who, I don't think of piano driven ballads. As long as this new stuff is upbeat and more guitar-oriented, I'll probably dig it.

TheHeartbreaker
06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
I'll consider it based upon my monetary status at the time (not that it will be expensive, just the fact that I'm broke).

Sextimus
06-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I thought Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine were pretty cool. RGLB really showed off some of Pete's unique brand of humour in his writing. I doubt I will buy the mini album, but I will definitely buy the full one when it hits.

groll01
06-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I have the money ....n im gonna camp out at jb just incase!

distilledspirit
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Download it...then buy the actual album if it's good...that's what I do.

Derigiberble
06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
An 11 minute album? That's just daylight robbery, I'm not paying a no doubt ridiculous amount of money for 11 minutes of music, even if it is the Who. Sorry boys but this one's a download.

DownDark
06-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Download the new song, then buy the new album.

FaceTheBass
06-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Really? I didn't care for them at all. When I think of the Who, I don't think of piano driven ballads. As long as this new stuff is upbeat and more guitar-oriented, I'll probably dig it.

It seems to be a shallow interpretation of an artist's work when you expect then to perform the same things over and over. Pete and Roger are older now, and their new music reflects that. If they kept playing in the same style they used back in the 70s, their new stuff would get old fast. It is very refreshing to see them renewing their style, instead of beating a dead horse. I think if they keep going the way they are going, the new album is going to be great.

And I think some of you are confused. The new album is just a single. It is like a summary of the thirty minute mini-opera that will make up the majority of the new album.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
It seems to be a shallow interpretation of an artist's work when you expect then to perform the same things over and over. Pete and Roger are older now, and their new music reflects that. If they kept playing in the same style they used back in the 70s, their new stuff would get old fast. It is very refreshing to see them renewing their style, instead of beating a dead horse. I think if they keep going the way they are going, the new album is going to be great.

And I think some of you are confused. The new album is just a single. It is like a summary of the thirty minute mini-opera that will make up the majority of the new album.

I agree

and Im buying it because ...its the Who, come on. Anything they make I would gladly buy. otherwise I wouldnt be a Who Fanatic, now would I?

VoodooChild15
06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
It seems to be a shallow interpretation of an artist's work when you expect then to perform the same things over and over. Pete and Roger are older now, and their new music reflects that. If they kept playing in the same style they used back in the 70s, their new stuff would get old fast. It is very refreshing to see them renewing their style, instead of beating a horse. I think if they keep going the way they are going, the new album is going to be great.

I just don't think they're particularly strong in the musical style those songs were presented in. Then and Now was the first Who cd I ever listened to, and before I read that those two were new, I wondered to myself why those last two songs sucked while all the other ones were brilliant (except maybe You Better You Bet). I'm sorry if anyone feels differently, but it is my opinion that those two songs are cheesey and boring. If they are any indication of the Who's current direction, then I am sad to say that they've fallen into the same "old fart-rock" genre that Elton John has. My beef was not that they were doing new things. It was that they were doing new boring things that I found to completely lack the excitement and energy of their earlier material.

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 10:46 PM
I just don't think they're particularly strong in the musical style those songs were presented in. Then and Now was the first Who cd I ever listened to, and before I read that those two were new, I wondered to myself why those last two songs sucked while all the other ones were brilliant (except maybe You Better You Bet). I'm sorry if anyone feels differently, but it is my opinion that those two songs are cheesey and boring. If they are any indication of the Who's current direction, then I am sad to say that they've fallen into the same "old fart-rock" genre that Elton John has. My beef was not that they were doing new things. It was that they were doing new boring things that I found to completely lack the excitement and energy of their earlier material.

I agree with you, those two songs are not even remotely the best, i'd have to agree if thats what the new sounds like all the time I'm not gonna like the new album much, theres a line between someone that loves good music and someone that loves music made by "good" bands. I love the who so I hope I'm not gonna be dissapointed by the new album.

Anyway I'm gonna download the single when it comes out and then buy the album, 11 minutes is not worth the gas money no matter how good those eleven mintues are.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
if its an "opera" then I'll accept a bit of softness, like imagine living in 1969 and buying Tommy after years of I Can See For Miles and My Generation. I didnt like Old Red Wine or Real Good Looking Boy but i can accept one or two softies if they ahve a bunch of hard rockers in there.

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 10:50 PM
well there's nothing wrong with some softness but if theres too much then it just sounds like soft pop rock, which is not my Who.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 10:52 PM
agreed, but a bit of varity never hurt.

and it seems we're talkin in two threads simultaneously....(sp?)

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 10:56 PM
agreed, but a bit of varity never hurt.

and it seems we're talkin in two threads simultaneously....(sp?)

I noticed that too, oh well, more posts for us :D
I hope that the rythym section is somewhat close to what it used to be, even if its impossible to get the same talent that Moon and Entwistle had, it wouldn't be the Who without a decent rythym section.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I noticed that too, oh well, more posts for us :D
I hope that the rythym section is somewhat close to what it used to be, even if its impossible to get the same talent that Moon and Entwistle had, it wouldn't be the Who without a decent rythym section.
it will never be the same but it will be more impressive than most- Pino Palladino is one of the most skilled studio bassists today (before join da 'Oo) and Zak Starkey was taught by Keith so its as close to the original Godliness as is mortally possible.

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 11:03 PM
it will never be the same but it will be more impressive than most- Pino Palladino is one of the most skilled studio bassists today (before join da 'Oo) and Zak Starkey was taught by Keith so its as close to the original Godliness as is mortally possible.

Yeah it is a pretty good rythym section, they did pretty good job performing all the who's hits at the boston concert I have on dvd, but Palladino didn't do all the bass fills that entwistle did and it took away from my generation ALOT. The driving bass lines are probably my favorite thing about the who's studio works and I hope that they still have them.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Well, who can compete with the Ox??

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, who can compete with the Ox??
God (aka me) maybe.....and my dad....maybe not.....well maybe.......or not...........

oh well I hope Palladino does well.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 11:13 PM
God (aka me) maybe.....and my dad....maybe not.....well maybe.......or not...........

oh well I hope Palladino does well.
:haha of course they shoudlve asked you to play
like in Detroit, 1973, Keith passed out and Pete said "Is there anyone who can play drums?" and some 17 year old kid came up and played the rest of the set with them :haha lucky so-and-so.....i saw this on vh1 like last night and needed to tell soemone.

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 11:21 PM
:haha of course they shoudlve asked you to play
like in Detroit, 1973, Keith passed out and Pete said "Is there anyone who can play drums?" and some 17 year old kid came up and played the rest of the set with them :haha lucky so-and-so.....i saw this on vh1 like last night and needed to tell soemone.

on the 40 greatest rcok concert moments right?
Yeah that is classic, its sad that someone could just pass out like that though, he really was in bad shape for awhile, and then he started to get better and boom overdose on his anti alchohol drugs.

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 11:24 PM
on the 40 greatest rcok concert moments right?
Yeah that is classic, its sad that someone could just pass out like that though, he really was in bad shape for awhile, and then he started to get better and boom overdose on his anti alchohol drugs.
yeah, it was horse tranquilizers. one of rocks greatest horribleist (its a word now foo) ironies--ODed on the pills that were saving him. :(
and the Smothers Brothers drum-bomb or Woodstock Abbie Hoffman incident shoudlve been on that show; i was livid :livid: <--- see?

Iruleeverything
06-16-2006, 11:34 PM
yeah, it was horse tranquilizers. one of rocks greatest horribleist (its a word now foo) ironies--ODed on the pills that were saving him. :(
and the Smothers Brothers drum-bomb or Woodstock Abbie Hoffman incident shoudlve been on that show; i was livid :livid: <--- see?

Agreed, you are one cool dude crazynickman :cool:

crazynickman
06-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Agreed, you are one cool dude crazynickman :cool:
*sniff*I smell siggage
I might not have room tho.... ;)

rocknroll blues
06-17-2006, 12:14 AM
...imagine living in 1969...

Every day, man. Every ****in' day.

But I'll definitely be purchasing the new mini-opera. Like crazynickman said, I wouldn't be a fanatic if I didn't.

:cheers:

crazynickman
06-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Every day, man. Every ****in' day.

But I'll definitely be purchasing the new mini-opera. Like crazynickman said, I wouldn't be a fanatic if I didn't.

:cheers: thats they way to live :D

rplb
06-17-2006, 12:41 AM

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Floyd93
06-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Based on Old Red Wine and Real Good Looking Boy, I'll download first because I'm not sure how good it's going to be. I'll buy if it's good.

DownDark
06-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Someone eariler mentioned how unbrilliant (?) You Better You Bet is... sure, it's not the best Who song musically or lyrically but it has clever lyrics with sexual innuendo. It's a damn catchy song too, one of my favorie Who songs.

Floyd93
06-17-2006, 07:37 PM
^Haha, You Better You Bet sounds like the Mentos song.

wilty00
06-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I'll be suprised if its even worth me downloading. I honestly don't even see the point of releasing an 11 minute disc other than to make a quick buck.

honkey
06-17-2006, 10:16 PM
there's nothing wrong with some softness but if theres too much then it just sounds like soft pop rock
too bad thats my generation :(

rocknroll blues
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I'll be suprised if its even worth me downloading. I honestly don't even see the point of releasing an 11 minute disc other than to make a quick buck.

It serves the same purpose as any other single: to promote the album and band, as well to provide some insight as to the nature of the forthcoming album.

Sure, they'll make money off it, but that's a bonus. I don't see Pete as the type to release material that he (a) isn't happy with (b) for the sole purpose of making money or (c) that is meaningless. I mean, the band hasn't released an LP of new songs since 1982, for Christ's sake. Pete isn't one to just throw stuff up and see who buys it.

crazynickman
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Are you implying My Generation is soft pop rock? It was amazingly heavy for its time, with the lyrics that even The Beatles were still a few years away from matching and the pseudo-destruction at the end. It was and is not soft pop rock foo

rocknroll blues
06-18-2006, 09:16 PM

Are you serious?!

My Generation = soft pop rock :confused: :confused: :confused:

Whafuck?

rplb
06-19-2006, 01:32 AM
mabey he ment something else. anyway does anyone know when this mini album is going to come out.