Shawn Lane

PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Lane

VaiSatchLaiho
06-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Ok, after several weeks of reading that Shawn Lane is the end all when it comes to jazz/fusion/shred, I decided to check him out. I listened to his records extensively at the store, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why he is worshipped in this part of the forum. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I thought it was just not that good. Don't get me wrong, he has ABSOLUTELY AMAZING technique, but his music bored me right from the start. Please, prove me wrong.

priest.fan.
06-17-2006, 12:58 AM
uh, maybe you just don't like him... However, I'm pretty surprised that his music bored you at all

Beckerism
06-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Some of his stuff I can't get into, but I do enjou quite a bit of his other works. I think it's just a hit or miss with him. Either you don't like it, or you REALLY like. Still look for other songs of his. You might stumble upon something you like.

metalmaster362
06-17-2006, 01:04 AM
ive always been a fan of esperanto

Mascot
06-17-2006, 01:17 AM
I listened to an album by him - only liked one or two songs.

pavan
06-17-2006, 01:46 AM
If you even hate Vai, then congratulations, you just won yourself an esteemed position in Resi's club.

Erc
06-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Shawn Lane boring???

0_o

>_<

It took me awhile to really "get" some of his music, but songs like Get You Back, Gray Pianos Flying, Rice With the Angels, One Note at a Time, and The Way It Has to Be are quite digestable for a new-commer.

And yea, as priest.fan said, maybe hes not your cup of tea. His technique pales in comparison to his musical phrasing/ideas btw.

waylay00
06-17-2006, 02:59 AM
I listened to his records extensively at the store

This line right here tells me that you are just using this as an excuse to bash Shawn. Sure, you may not like his songs, but don't go making up a lie just to put his music down. None of Shawn's albums are even available to buy anymore, save TriTone Fascination and Powers of Ten Live (even so, these is still rare, and I doubt you could find them in a store). WB Records cut Powers of Ten from production many years ago, so there was no way to listen "to his records extensively at the store", as his biggest album wouldn't be available for purchase.

Plus, any clip of one song will not do it justice. The dynamics of his songs are incredible. You'd have to listen to the album as a whole, not just what you would listen to "at a store".

and I cannot for the life of me figure out why he is worshipped in this part of the forum.

This is the shred forum you know...and Shawn is perhaps one of the best "shredders" to live, so I don't see how you don't understand why he is "worshipped" here.

Resiliance
06-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Well, don't feel bad, I don't like him that much either.

And pavan... I don't hate Vai :wtf:

flamencogod
06-17-2006, 04:20 AM
I find his music boring too... his technique may be from another world, I've never heard anything by him that was interesting to my ears.

to Waylay00: I've been to tons of music shops, mostly second handed where I've found some shawn lane so he could be right

Stratwizard
06-17-2006, 04:38 AM
I respect him, but I don't like his music.

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 07:29 AM
People shouldn't feel pressured into liking someone just because they are considered the best, or great. Maybe you just don't like him :)

Personally I just can't get my head around Led Zepellin...

PooKoo
06-17-2006, 07:50 AM
How many records has he put out, anyway?

Erc
06-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Personally I just can't get my head around Led Zepellin...

Ugh same here, the only songs I find interesting by them is Kashmir and Achillies Last Stand.

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Good good! Glad its just not me then! :D

Prophet of Page
06-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't like his music either.

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 12:38 PM
I take it you're talking about Shawn Lane not Led Zeppelin there Tom ;)

Prophet of Page
06-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I take it you're talking about Shawn Lane not Led Zeppelin there Tom ;)

Yeah, but I'm bored of Zeppelin now really. I mean, I used to love that stuff, really love it, but I know it all to well now, it just doesn't excite me the same way it used to. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Zeppelin, but there's only one Zeppelin album I don't have, and I doubt I'll ever buy it. I'm done with it. On the other hand, I was listening to Eric Johnson at the same time as that, and listened to him infinitely more than I listened to Zeppelin, and I'm still floating like a cloud everytime I listen to his music. Plus, knowing that I could outplay Jimmy Page really takes away some of the admiration I had for him. Nobody touches Eric at what he's good at as goes technique, not even Lane.

As for Shawn, yeah he had great technique, a technique I don't really care for. His picking, while probably the fastest there ever was just sounds mushy and crap to me, and his legato, while again blindingly fast doesn't do anything for me. And dear lord what a terrible tone, its mushy and distant and really lacks definition, I've no real love for it at all. His music isn't really much to write home about either, IMO. I can respect that he had achieved what he intended to musically, and that he had a technique that most would kill for, but it's not for me, it just fails to grab me in the same way that Johnson, Vai, Gilbert, Holdsworth or more recently Garsed grabbed me.

waylay00
06-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Here some songs that are my personal favorites of "Powers of Ten" -

"Not Again"
"Illusions"
"Get You Back"
"Gray Painos Flying"
"Esperanto"
"Epilogue for Lisa"

However, I can listen to Holdsworth or Gilbert or Vai much more than Shawn, because I tend to like more of their songs. But still, my favorite all time song is by Shawn ("Not Again")

Despite this, I still think that many of you on here don't give Shawn a chance. His videos don't do justice to him at all, IMO. His tone DOES sound like mud on the videos, but after having seen him in person, I defintely know that his tone does not sound like that live. I guess I'm somewhat partial to Shawn, based on the fact that he was like my "hometown hero", in a sense. I mean, not much musically comes out of Memphis anymore these days, just rap. The blues scene has faded bigtime, so all we've really had recently was Shawn.

pavan
06-17-2006, 02:19 PM
You guys are the ones missing out.

Waylay : you missed out The Way it has to be

Godly Moose
06-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I still love Shawn, I like a majority of his songs. I only don't like a couple, but mostly I like a majority of his music. Meh.

NevermorePsalm
06-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Umm...this coulda just been in asked in my old thread. wherever it whent. >.<

Well, I personally think that most people can't digest Shawn's music unless they are intelligent. It's just too much. Im not saying your not intelligent, but I'm saying you may not understand the music. Other people just don't care for it. I think Shawn is one of the best, if not the best. My favorite song by him at the moment is Savitri, but yeah, not many people hear that one. His improv is amazing, you can't get around it. Some of his songs are a bit boring, as I can't listen Bombay Bicycle club the whole way through, I just don't like it. I still think that you should hold your tongue on Shawn unless you really deeply search through his music.

Resiliance
06-17-2006, 04:42 PM
^Well, no offense, but I like Daevid Allen, John Cage and Cecil Taylor, which is way beyond the realm of normality in music and requires a LOT more getting into than Shawn Lane... And I still don't like his playing much.

I don't think so.

Prophet of Page
06-17-2006, 05:25 PM
^Well, no offense, but I like Daevid Allen, John Cage and Cecil Taylor, which is way beyond the realm of normality in music and requires a LOT more getting into than Shawn Lane... And I still don't like his playing much.

I don't think so.

Amen.

SnowballofDoom
06-17-2006, 05:29 PM
I can't really listen to much Lane... not because I don't understand it, but because I don't like it. Tom said it best on the first page; I respect him, but I don't really care for his playing.

NevermorePsalm
06-17-2006, 06:11 PM
just my opinion, and Im not saying you gotta be Newton, but Im saying, have a relative understanding of things. And I also said it may be you jsut dont like him. So...yeah...umm....dots are fun.

VaiSatchLaiho
06-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Um... waylay, I did listen to his stuff. It was in a bookstore near my house, and they have just about all of his recordings that were realeased to the public in digital format. And I'm not just looking for an excuse to bash Shawn. I really want to like him, but he's just not my cup of tea, it seems.

And Nevermore Psalm, I know that you are not trying to bash me, but I would consider the music I listen to intelligent also. I listen to quite a bit of classical music (most of which I would call intelligent music), and have even given myself massive headaches from trying to comprehend Bach's four melody fugues. So ya, anyway, just pointlessly trying to prove myself. :cool:

garden of grey
06-18-2006, 12:07 AM
hes awesome but i dont like his music

paddyo
06-18-2006, 09:20 AM
^Oxymoron anyone?;) I know what you're trying to say though..

Tom Martin
06-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Actually an oxymoron is two (sometimes more) words that don't work together... What you are thinking of is simple contradiction :p:
Say for example when you buy a package of Microsoft Software, only to find they've named it "Microsoft Works".... :haha thats an oxymoron.

(End of pedanticness)

paddyo
06-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I know what it means alright,I'm just saying "he's awesome" and "I dont like him" aren't exactly in agreement of eachother;)..

Dislcaimer:Everything I say today potentially is(and already has been in a few cases) stupid since I am very tired and not myself:p:. That is all.

flamencogod
06-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Umm...this coulda just been in asked in my old thread. wherever it whent. >.<

Well, I personally think that most people can't digest Shawn's music unless they are intelligent. It's just too much. Im not saying your not intelligent, but I'm saying you may not understand the music. Other people just don't care for it. I think Shawn is one of the best, if not the best. My favorite song by him at the moment is Savitri, but yeah, not many people hear that one. His improv is amazing, you can't get around it. Some of his songs are a bit boring, as I can't listen Bombay Bicycle club the whole way through, I just don't like it. I still think that you should hold your tongue on Shawn unless you really deeply search through his music.

I don't think it's a good thing that you need to know much about it to like it. It should speak for itself.

Resiliance
06-18-2006, 12:34 PM
^That I don't necessarily agree with.

Let a person hear avant-garde without knowing much about it, and guaranteed, he'll find it ****.

Besides, no music speaks for itself. You're just used to it because you've been exposed to it and music of its kind for so many years subconsciously to the point that you indeed "know much about it".

I don't think your argument here makes much sense.

waylay00
06-18-2006, 03:29 PM
^ Agreed

Music that these types of artists put out often sounds strange to the fresh ear (fresh meaning having not been exposed to it). However, after you begin to listen to it after a while, the music grows onto you, and you begin listening to it for what it's really worth. A good way to adapt your ears is to have a music program (iTunes, etc) playing those songs in the background while you are working or browsing the internet. That way, you're not really "forcing" yourself to listen to it, but your ears adapt to the music after a while.

PooKoo
06-18-2006, 03:53 PM
thats what happened with me and fusion.

mingles
06-18-2006, 08:31 PM
I haven't heard much, but I couldn't get into what i did hear. His chops are ridiculous though.

paddyo
06-19-2006, 06:20 AM
thats what happened with me and fusion.
I'm still going through that phrase sort of:(.There's still a few songs I just dont get...

Resiliance
06-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Let me guess... Holdsworth? :p:

paddyo
06-19-2006, 06:44 AM
And Gambale....Together!:p:

willjay
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM
OK folks, listen to this live recording of Shawn (i just uploaded) playing in a very melodic setting, to me this is one of the most amazing things i've ever heard.......... listen to it all, from start to finish, and please go into hearing this with a clear mind, as if it was the first time you have heard Shawn play.

If, after listening to all of this track, you still think Shawn was crap and unmelodic........... then...... :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.speedyshare.com/277285563.html

Nobody touches Eric at what he's good at as goes technique, not even Lane.
I love both Lane AND Eric Johnson, i have loads of live material of both.... but there's nothing i've heard Eric play that Shawn couldn't play!
If you still think so then listen to this guitar solo by Shawn and THEN tell me you think Eric could play this :

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.speedyshare.com/823439818.html

As amazing as he is, there's no way could Eric play that! :rolleyes:

Willie J.

Prophet of Page
06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I love both Lane AND Eric Johnson, i have loads of live material of both.... but there's nothing i've heard Eric play that Shawn couldn't play!
If you still think so then listen to this guitar solo by Shawn and THEN tell me you think Eric could play this.

I never said Eric could play what Shawn played, I said there are somethings Eric can play that I very much doubt anybody else could do really. Reread my post, I said that nobody touches Eric at what HE is good at, not even Lane. Eric has some things that I very much doubt anybody else could manage without all the dedication and effort he has put into it. I've never heard Shawn Lane pick with ZERO pick attack, sure he can get rid of alot of it, but its always still there, with Eric its just not there, at all. I've never seen Lane play country or bluegrass with perfect timing (that you could set a watch to), I've seen Eric do it. I've never seen Lane altar the position he picks along the length of the strings to change the tone, I've seen Eric do it. I've never seen Lane play a line of all feedback harmonics by finding the perfect position to get the feedback for each and do it in perfect time, but I've seen Eric do it.

And please, allow me to dislike whatever I I see fit to dislike. Lanae does nothing for me, accept it.

willjay
06-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I never said Eric could play what Shawn played, I said there are somethings Eric can play that I very much doubt anybody else could do really. Reread my post, I said that nobody touches Eric at what HE is good at, not even Lane. Eric has some things that I very much doubt anybody else could manage without all the dedication and effort he has put into it. I've never heard Shawn Lane pick with ZERO pick attack, sure he can get rid of alot of it, but its always still there, with Eric its just not there, at all. I've never seen Lane play country or bluegrass with perfect timing (that you could set a watch to), I've seen Eric do it. I've never seen Lane altar the position he picks along the length of the strings to change the tone, I've seen Eric do it. I've never seen Lane play a line of all feedback harmonics by finding the perfect position to get the feedback for each and do it in perfect time, but I've seen Eric do it.
OK then..... so NO one player can play EXACTLY like any other player!

Prophet of Page
06-20-2006, 05:01 PM
OK then..... so NO one player can play EXACTLY like any other player!

My point exactly.

Erc
06-20-2006, 05:17 PM
That's a little obvious though.

Prophet of Page
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
That's a little obvious though.

Hence why I was so shocked he didn't pick up on it.

PooKoo
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
OK folks, listen to this live recording of Shawn (i just uploaded) playing in a very melodic setting, to me this is one of the most amazing things i've ever heard.......... listen to it all, from start to finish, and please go into hearing this with a clear mind, as if it was the first time you have heard Shawn play.

If, after listening to all of this track, you still think Shawn was crap and unmelodic........... then...... :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.speedyshare.com/277285563.html

If you still think so then listen to this guitar solo by Shawn and THEN tell me you think Eric could play this :

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.speedyshare.com/823439818.html

As amazing as he is, there's no way could Eric play that! :rolleyes:

Willie J.

your uploads only work for about a couple seconds, mind putting them on yousendit or rapidshare?

apocalypse13
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Some of his stuff I can't get into, but I do enjou quite a bit of his other works. I think it's just a hit or miss with him. Either you don't like it, or you REALLY like. Still look for other songs of his. You might stumble upon something you like.
Word.

I like some, but not others.

waylay00
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Hence why I was so shocked he didn't pick up on it.

In all objectivity though, you were making it sound like Eric was better than Shawn, even if you weren't trying to.

SnowballofDoom
06-21-2006, 12:02 AM
your uploads only work for about a couple seconds, mind putting them on yousendit or rapidshare?

Really? They still work for me..

flamencogod
06-21-2006, 05:12 AM
I personally find the drumming more interesting than the guitar

Prophet of Page
06-21-2006, 04:11 PM
In all objectivity though, you were making it sound like Eric was better than Shawn, even if you weren't trying to.

Only if you misread my post.

Freepower
06-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Actually, not one person in this thread has given any sort of specific criticism. Especially not a lack of melody.

Does that include on piano? :p:

I have to agree with tom though. Just the subtleties of EJ's playing are incredible...

And as for the general purpose of this whole thread -

it was cool seeing shawn hit these forums properly, because for the first time, the guy who had the best chops was as melodic and compositionally advanced as anyone else. And of course, objectivity called! A lot of people feel they "should" like Shawn, or i guess i saw it that way, but its good to see a backlash - and a mature, measured one at that!

I personally, love Shawn's improv, about 50% of his compositions send me into bliss, but some leave me cold. Thats life. I prefer many guitarists in terms of composition, but shawn's my favourite improviser.