on a serious note

PDA

View Full Version : on a serious note

Axegrinder#9
06-17-2006, 06:56 AM
has it ever happened that sometimes you take a break from playing guitar - an break which is not exactly spawned by conscious decisions but happens unconsciously, you just don't find yourself playing guitar for a long time, though you do have plans for seriously getting back to it very soon - just that when is a lil fuzzy...

I'm kinda going through a phase like that right now, partly 'cos I'm back home for the summer with all my friends and we partying like mad or getting high on LSD and debating existentialism and chocolate cakes... however the rare occasions that I play a guitar (which happens to be at a shop or at a friends place), I keep finding that my sense of "space" while playing, as well as my melodic expression have radically improved... at an expense of course, my chops are a lil blunt right now...

but does this happen (or has in the past) to you guys? and even more weird, to be very honest, I haven't heard much shred, let alone metal for the last month, it's been mostly experimental psytrance and electronica and a bit of smooth jazz...

any thoughts? should I be worried?

hope you guys are having a good summer, I certainly am :devil:
peace,
Axegrinder#9

Beckerism
06-17-2006, 06:58 AM
I also take breaks from my guitar, usually unconsciously, if I have a lot of work or things to do. When I take time to do other stuff, I obviously take time away from playing. :)

Also, about the creativity, it could be that your rusty chops involuntarily push you to other ways of expression?

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Naa, thats perfectly normal.
I find when I actually break from the music I listen to for a while - and take in new culture (or drugs) and music for an extended period, it changes the way I think when I pick up a guitar. Sure your chops won't exactly improve, but I find doing things like this can be really helpful - why I never take my guitar on holidays or anything like that.

gapster
06-17-2006, 07:10 AM
sometimes...it is because you got too many ass kissers..but in reality ..you suck..

when you got too many ass kissers --> you think you are good

you think you are good -- > practice less / less motivation

practice less /less motivation -- > improve slower

so basically..thats it ! :)

oh yea..another reason is you got yourself a girlfriend

desmocool
06-17-2006, 07:17 AM
im into that phase at the moment as well.And when i pick up my guitar after a break the fretboard feels good and i feel a strange confident hold on it, like i can play anything at all at that time.

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 07:25 AM
^^ Actually usuall after I have a period like that the strings are all skanky - so I have to change my strings. Nothing kills musical inspiration like having to restring a floyd rose.

Resiliance
06-17-2006, 07:36 AM
I just picked up my guitar for the first time in a week.

Damn MODSHIP!

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 07:43 AM
^^ Well at least you can sleep at night in the knowledge that you are doing your bit for the community ;)

PooKoo
06-17-2006, 07:48 AM
yeah i've been like that for a while, though i never go too long, it was mainly cause i was too lazy to change strings.
I always pick it up feeling immense relief that i haven't forgot everything i know.

TheUltimateSin
06-17-2006, 07:54 AM
It's happened a few times. It always feels soooo much better when I pick it back up though. I'm not sure why, but I had stopped playing for almost 2 weeks. It felt a bit sickening when I realised it, to be honest. :(:

Evil_Empire24-7
06-17-2006, 08:10 AM
i have other interests other than guitar but i have time for everything though sometimes i get bored from guitar but i stick with it even if i don't want to.

just like Jimi Hendrix said:

?Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.?

pavan
06-17-2006, 08:24 AM
I always take long breaks from the guitar and when I go back, I always am faster and my phrasing is better. The last break was from March - June, I had an accident and couldnt play guitar!

About the chops, they wil always come back to you after a week of consistent practise. The first day everything feels and sounds wierd though.

Axegrinder#9
06-17-2006, 09:08 AM

I've always balanced that well, and I mean when it comes down to the wire, it ain't all that different, guitar and girls eh?

paddyo
06-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Yep its totally normal. Happened to me a few times when my amp had to be fixed. When I pick it up again it just makes it that extra bit enjoyable,putting you in that mind frame of being really open with the guitar. It feels sort of like a Writer who's just expierienced writers block and is now getting a sudden burst of inspriation I guess. Thats the best way I can describe it.:)

Matt_Malmsteen
06-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm going through something like that atm..I'm just not playing..

Mostly because I'm not sleeping much and playing a gutir would kill me..another is because of my obssesion with Japan..forcing me to listen to Japanese music and look at Japanese things most of the time.

tombo32
06-17-2006, 10:44 AM
I've always balanced that well, and I mean when it comes down to the wire, it ain't all that different, guitar and girls eh?

My guitar has a whammy bar.... Girls shouldn't have them....

gapster
06-17-2006, 11:54 AM

my chick only allows me to shred when we are f*cking..
rest of the time i have to play pop and sing for her :(

oh yea...special hint for you shredders..my friend told me if a chick ask you to teach her guitar..there is a 90% she really really digs you :D hold her hand to hold that chord!

Resiliance
06-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Or you could just stop desperately trying to get chicks and grow up... :p:

PooKoo
06-17-2006, 12:09 PM
resis just bitter.

perpetual shred
06-17-2006, 01:13 PM
whats lsd like??? and yeah everyone slacks off at some point, i go through phase off practising **** loads and then next week im not really interested, i think its because with shred iv'e "got down" most of the techniques so im just practising the same stuff, so if you can find a new style to play that you enjoy then you get more variety. i used to look at the guitar and just think shred but thats a bad way to think. its like looking at your wife an only seeing sado massachistic sex...or something /rable

Shorrock
06-17-2006, 01:14 PM
i took a 2 week break to work for my school exams. I started playing some random improvisations this morning and i just came up with loads of licks and stuff taht i had never done before. It was well good.

perpetual shred
06-17-2006, 01:20 PM
sometimes...it is because you got too many ass kissers..but in reality ..you suck..

when you got too many ass kissers --> you think you are good

you think you are good -- > practice less / less motivation

practice less /less motivation -- > improve slower

so basically..thats it ! :)

this makes so much sense, maybe if you declared selabacy, and locked yourself in a room with a manically depressed clown that tell you that your **** constantly, you'll get real good real fast. :)

Godly Moose
06-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I just got over it, it seems like after you take the break it seems so much cooler to play. It was long break, for like 8 months. Then started palying again. It's all good now. :cool:

oblique
06-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I find that when I end up not playing much for a few weeks my chops and phrasing are condsiderably better when I come back to it. I'm not exactly sure why that is, it probably has something to do with getting out of the ruts I fall into with repetitive soloing and stuff.

Axegrinder#9
06-17-2006, 04:55 PM
whats lsd like???

divinity in a teardrop, the universe in a nutshell... building steam with a grain of salt... and much more than these words could possibly explain.

Prophet of Page
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
divinity in a teardrop, the universe in a nutshell... building steam with a grain of salt... and much more than these words could possibly explain.

Or, put another way, a drug that has been known to cause dimensia and schitzophrenia in those allergic, who are far more cammon than most people think.

Four-Sticks
06-17-2006, 06:09 PM

Did you happen to feel the whole world sort of conform around you when you were on it?

Tom Martin
06-17-2006, 08:09 PM
^^ He feels like that anyway ;)

Four-Sticks
06-17-2006, 08:11 PM
yeah dude. Once when I was tripping it felt the world was physically wrapping itself around me. I was so hapy to find out that it really did revolve around me....and then it ended....:(

Andrewbiles
06-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I keep going through spells like that. Just been through one due to exams and stuff, and I've found myself really sucking (more than ever) with speed, and my picking has got a hell of a lot less accurate. Used to be good with the picking hand. However, I have found my finger picking has improved slightly some how.

Axegrinder#9
06-18-2006, 05:52 AM
Or, put another way, a drug that has been known to cause dimensia and schitzophrenia in those allergic, who are far more cammon than most people think.

it has been known to cause such, but there is no evidence directly linking up acid to schizophrenia, which is say perhaps latently existing in a person... I'd researched LSD for 4 years of my life since 10th grade before I finally dropped earlier this year. It is quite possibly the safest drug possible, hell it is safer than weed. it is sacrament...

be informed guys, Erowid (http://www.erowid.org)

Axegrinder#9
06-18-2006, 05:55 AM
yeah dude. Once when I was tripping it felt the world was physically wrapping itself around me. I was so hapy to find out that it really did revolve around me....and then it ended....:(

that's actually pretty weird, I mean it seems you experienced almost an "ego-boost" but most of the times when people trip, it's actually a loss of ego, or atleast the sense that you're part of a great cosmic wonder than you being the focus of it.

Prophet of Page
06-18-2006, 07:44 AM
it has been known to cause such, but there is no evidence directly linking up acid to schizophrenia, which is say perhaps latently existing in a person... I'd researched LSD for 4 years of my life since 10th grade before I finally dropped earlier this year. It is quite possibly the safest drug possible, hell it is safer than weed. it is sacrament...

be informed guys, Erowid (http://www.erowid.org)

I didn't say there was direct evidence, but there is a link, and yes you'd have to be prone to mental disorder, which more people than most think are. And its definitely safer than weed, I do agree.

SuburbanCowboy
06-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I came back from Jamaica last saturday after being gone for a week. I was missing guitar BAD. I was thinking about it all the time.

When I got back, I noticed my chops had gotten a little sloppy. But only because I picked up the guitar and started wailing right away without any warmups. I had so much creative energy built up inside me, but my fingers just couldnt keep up. Now that I've been back for a week, my chops are back and I'm still feeling creative. Maybe a week off isnt such a bad idea.

and I think it's pretty sweet that you do LSD. I've been trying to get some for ages, but psychedelics are nearly impossible to come by where I live :(

apocalypse13
06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
resis just bitter.
:haha

That was so random, yet so perfect.

Axegrinder#9
06-19-2006, 01:13 PM
and I think it's pretty sweet that you do LSD. I've been trying to get some for ages, but psychedelics are nearly impossible to come by where I live :(

drop by at Ithaca during the fall ;)

SuburbanCowboy
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM

Hah, I would... but that's one hell of a drive from central jersey. But who knows, it could be worth it. I mean, even the pot sucks around here (when you can find it :( )

Four-Sticks
06-19-2006, 06:40 PM

Holy **** you live in Ithica, I live like 2 hours away from there. I went there to meet some friends and experiment with 20x salvia.
Good times...good times....

garden of grey
06-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I never take my guitar on holidays or anything like that.

wow, when i went to costa rica for 10 days i wanted to come back because it sucked not playing any instruments

maybe you think youre better after a few days of tripping and warping/forgetting how u sound?

im not anti drug or anything but it could be it

curtis loew
06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
i went for a month!!!!!

garden of grey
06-19-2006, 08:17 PM

you can extract LSA (natural LSD) from morning glory (natural plant seeds)
they sell them at supermarkets
the morning glory seeds are legal but extracted lsa isnt
if you want a guide on how ill link u

curtis loew
06-19-2006, 08:23 PM
is salvia legal and what does it do? has anybody here tryed LSD? im curious to what the experience is like

Four-Sticks
06-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Salvia is the one of the strongest trips you can experience basically, and it's legal, and you smoke it.
Although it is kinda hit and miss. So you may be disappointed.

garden of grey
06-19-2006, 09:53 PM
its also super duper expensive usually

Freepower
06-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Drugs drugs drugs...

Y'know, i dont drink or do anything. Im partial to the occasional whiskey, but its for the taste, and we're talking like twice a year.

I dont need rid of the inhibitions i have, and the ones i dont have i got rid of for a reason. Basically, im sorted for parties without any help. There's also the fact i have quite the temper (not that you guys would have noticed my occasional page long deathpost attacks, or anything) and tbh, i would kinda dread what would happen if i got really pissed off and i wasnt 100% in control...

Anyway! I find breaks like that are great sometimes because -

A) Im not wandering into playing "that week's exercise" when noodling or jamming, because I havent done an exercise all week. :D
B) I listen more because playing is slightly new to me again. :)

Thats what i like.

Scorzerci
06-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs:)

PooKoo
06-20-2006, 10:12 AM
me either!

Matt_Malmsteen
06-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I also don't drink, smoke or do drugs...Well..okay I drink on occasion, and by occasion I mean like once or twice a year.

gapster
06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
^ , ^^ , ^^^

don't waste your life away ;)

apocalypse13
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Pff. Binge drinking is where the par-tay is at, biotches. ;)

not really

Prophet of Page
06-20-2006, 04:05 PM
None of that stuff for me, I'll stick with chocolate and Coca Cola.

paddyo
06-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I dont do/drink anything,nor do I plan to in the rest of my life. People who need alcohol to show their "true" personalities are not the kind of people I want to be like and are quite sad IMO. They swear differently of course....

*sigh* Typical Irish "I'm going to go out and get shitfaced tonight and every other night I'm out" attitude. That includes my own family:( I dont know whether to laugh or cry:p:...

Scorzerci
06-20-2006, 04:31 PM
When I'm older I wanna be the type of person that can drink anyone under the table:).Chances are when I'm older and go to parties I'm just gonna be they guy that goes there to watch people get drunk!

John Kimble
06-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I dont do/drink anything,nor do I plan to in the rest of my life. People who need alcohol to show their "true" personalities are not the kind of people I want to be like and are quite sad IMO. They swear differently of course....

*sigh* Typical Irish "I'm going to go out and get shitfaced tonight and every other night I'm out" attitude. That includes my own family:( I dont know whether to laugh or cry:p:...

Well arent you better than everone else! I cant stand preachy types like you. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with choosing not to drink, for whatever reason, but dont act like your better than those that do.

Reemster
06-20-2006, 04:55 PM
There's a difference between drinking a few ( insert type of alcoholic beverage here) occasionally, and drinking a lot very often.

What you do or don't do is your choice, and as long as it doesn't bother other people I don't think there's a very big problem.

:cheers:

^ Sorry about that one :p:

paddyo
06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Well arent you better than everone else! I cant stand preachy types like you. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with choosing not to drink, for whatever reason, but dont act like your better than those that do.

When did I say I was better than "those who drink"? I said how a lot of people(from my expierience,not just my made up perception of the country I live in) drink because they openly believe thats how you have to have a good time. If you don't drink you're "boring" or "looser" etc...

Secondly,did I say "hey,I'm doing such and such,you should too!"? No,I didn't. I,again, stated that I dont plan to drink for my own reasons which I clearly stated in my post. Not once did I try and force my opinion on anyone here.

Learn to read and not to judge. Christ can't anyone have views on something without it being taken so far out of hand :rolleyes: ...

EDIT: Yeah and I was attacking lowlifes who drink to make themsleves feel better or act more confident which is complete bull****, not your regular person who drinks.
The more I re-read your post the more I see wrong with it.

Stratwizard
06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
None of that stuff for me, I'll stick with chocolate and Coca Cola.

Same. :cool:

John Kimble
06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
OK sorry, your post just seemed very preachy. It looked like you thought everone who drinks is "sad" and only does so to "show their true personalities".

paddyo
06-20-2006, 05:08 PM
OK sorry, your post just seemed very preachy. It looked like you thought everone who drinks is "sad" and only does so to "show their true personalities".
Fine. But that's why I said "people" instead of "everyone".

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
ENOUGH! Let's all just settle this and end the discussion with a heaping huge pile of assorted baked goods and move on with life! :

http://www.aleksandrk.com/images/baked_goods1.jpg

paddyo
06-20-2006, 05:21 PM
You truly love your Baked Goods Ultimate Sin!

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, baked goods always solve the problem around here. Whenever a fight breaks out(as sad as that is, online), you can always count a a pic of fresh baked cookies and such to join everyone together :)

PooKoo
06-20-2006, 05:25 PM
damnit now i'm hungry.

Scorzerci
06-20-2006, 05:30 PM
In french today, since it was our last day lots of people brought in food. OH YEAH AND YESTERDAY ME AND SOME FRIENDS HAD A BAKED GOODS FEST! We baked brownies, but one of my friends decided that it would be a good idea to put gummi worms inside the brownies. They tasted like ****, but fortunately only half of the brownies had gummi worms in them and the un gummi-wormed brownies kicked some serious ass!

chase09
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
ENOUGH! Let's all just settle this and end the discussion with a heaping huge pile of assorted baked goods and move on with life! :

Those look really, really good. Dang dude, you got me hungry and I just ate dinner. :peace:

Btw, I've always wondered why you named yourself after an Ozzy album with Jake E. Lee since Rhoads seems to be your idol. Please explain kind sir. :D

Prophet of Page
06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Why can't I come into this forum without suddenly wanting to eat?

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Those look really, really good. Dang dude, you got me hungry and I just ate dinner. :peace:

Btw, I've always wondered why you named yourself after an Ozzy album with Jake E. Lee since Rhoads seems to be your idol. Please explain kind sir. :D

Why certainly, dear chum. You see, when I was signing up for this site, I wasn't nearly as devoted to guitar as I am today(I have the SF and it's reg's to thank in large part for getting me more into it :D ). I had always known about Rhoads, but I wasn't as infatuated with his work as I am this day and age(yes, a lot has happened since I joined this site in just a year). And when the time came to pick a user name, I was listening to "Shot in the Dark", which appears on Ozzy's album 'The Ultimate Sin', and I had the cassette case(that's right bitches, cassette) lying infront of me by the keyboard. And thus, the wonderful thing that is me was born to this site.....

...Plus I did/do like Jake's guitar playing. But the consumption of Randy's playing into my life is now complete. You could say that I am to Randy as apoc is to Marty ;)

And that, my friends, is that tale of my epic journy of selecting my username.

garden of grey
06-20-2006, 08:25 PM

agreed, any more drug discussion should go to the pit!

bucky_2300
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I just went through one of those with the exams...but now I'm back, and holy Jesus. I started learning Flying High Again last night, and all of it but the solo is down pat - and the solo is well on the way.

But my pinky hurts. :(

Axegrinder#9
06-20-2006, 08:44 PM
maybe you think youre better after a few days of tripping and warping/forgetting how u sound?

uhhh no

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I just went through one of those with the exams...but now I'm back, and holy Jesus. I started learning Flying High Again last night, and all of it but the solo is down pat - and the solo is well on the way.

But my pinky hurts. :(

I'd love to hear it when you're finished. I love me some Randy Rhoads pieces :)

Four-Sticks
06-20-2006, 09:01 PM
uhhh no

My friends are randomly preparing a roadtrip to Ithica.
Any advice in terms of finding lsd and that sort of thing?

Stratwizard
06-21-2006, 04:07 AM

Dude... Now I've seen it.

Baked goods > LSD

public property
06-21-2006, 04:24 AM
baked goods ON lsd? the possibilities are endless....

~1954~
06-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Sometimes I find that my Creativity and phrasing is greatly improved after gorging on Baked goods.

TheUltimateSin
06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
^One time, I ate this cinnamon roll and like, I was able to play all kinds of awesome ****. But then the morphine wore off and the Vicadin disappeared, and I ran out of cinnamon rolls. And that is why Satch is bald.

paddyo
06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
^One time, I ate this cinnamon roll and like, I was able to play all kinds of awesome ****. But then the morphine wore off and the Vicadin disappeared, and I ran out of cinnamon rolls. And that is why Satch is bald.
**** dude we said eat Baked Goods not pure chrystal meth!:haha

TheUltimateSin
06-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Cinnamon Rolls are baked goods........not so sure about morphine though....:(

Erc
06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
:haha: at the last few posts

Axegrinder#9
06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
baked goods ON lsd? the possibilities are endless....

hahah been there sir, been there... we guys didn't call ourselves "Tragic Hamburger" (that's me band name) randomly... it was something I threw out while tripping and staring at a half-eaten burger.

and Four-Sticks, I'd recommend that you hang around in the Ithaca Commons and look out for this guy who might call himself "Reggie"... of course if you come around anytime after September, then you should drop by and see me ;)

SuburbanCowboy
06-21-2006, 01:09 PM
hmm.. I think we need an "Only Drug Thread". I'm gonna need some growing tips soon :D

Scorzerci
06-21-2006, 01:19 PM
The only thing the shred forum truly needs is a baked goods thread!

PooKoo
06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
hmm.. I think we need an "Only Drug Thread". I'm gonna need some growing tips soon :D

I'm putting up the cd soon, don't worry.

SuburbanCowboy
06-21-2006, 01:31 PM
^^ Nice.. thanks man. Thought u forgot.

Matt_Malmsteen
06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
The only thing the shred forum truly needs is a baked goods thread!

I was thinking the same thing man.

apocalypse13
06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Does anyone else have Cici's Pizza? Or is it a local chain? (It's a pizza buffet, you pay like 5 bucks and you get unlimited pizza :headbang: )

Either way, they've got some focking crazy good cinnamon rolls. Someone that I know works there, and he said someone stole all the cinnamon rolls and left a ransom note on their table saying "If you ever want to see your cinnamon rolls again, leave us $200 at the table."

Rofl, they are that good.

Scorzerci
06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
HAHAHA
Me and my friends recently discovered that there's a Dominoes pizza here in Zürich!:headbang: going there tommorow

Erc
06-21-2006, 08:07 PM
CiCi's Pizza is okay....I only really like their cheese bread things.

And Area 51, they always have area 51 at a CiCis. But I ODed on CiCis because the swim team used to go there after what seemed to be every single meet.

PooKoo
06-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Never heard of cicis, dominoes is okay.

Local stores here are amazing.

Resiliance
06-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Riiight, anymore, take it to the shred chat.

*Closed*