fender blues junior

PDA

View Full Version : fender blues junior

mystique facade
06-17-2006, 04:10 PM
why is it that the blues junior (and like many other fenders) supposedly gives a great clean tone but a sucky rock tone. i only ask cause i was planning on getting one until people started saying how bad the overdrive sounds. if i were to swap out the speaker with say a celestion and retubed it with diff tubes, would it sound completely different. (btw which power amp tubes are good for marshally rock tones el34?)

R_H_C_P
06-17-2006, 04:13 PM
The Blues Jr doesn't have an overdrive channel, but natural overdrive from cranking it sounds orgasmic.
And... you can use overdrive pedals with it, sound amazing.

mystique facade
06-17-2006, 04:18 PM
yea cranking it is just what i meant by the amps overdrive tones. but again i ask would the amp sound completely differnet if i swapped out the speaker and tubes from el84->el34

hoobariffer87
06-17-2006, 04:22 PM
yea ing it is just what i meant by the amps overdrive tones. but again i ask would the amp sound completely differnet if i swapped out the speaker and tubes from el84->el34

Obviously. But why don't you see how it sounds without modding it before you make a decision on that?
And like RHCP said: there's always overdrive pedals.

Hairy Henry
06-17-2006, 05:19 PM
yea cranking it is just what i meant by the amps overdrive tones. but again i ask would the amp sound completely differnet if i swapped out the speaker and tubes from el84->el34
What sound difference does changing to the El34 make?

Dave_Mc
06-17-2006, 05:22 PM
The rock tone out of a blues junior is pretty good actually- the preamp tone seems a lot better than the overdrive channels on the hot rod deluxe (which pretty much suck, by the way).

But you won't get much heavier than classic rock without an OD pedal.

EDIT: and I don't think you could switch the power tubes for EL34's without some mods to the amp- and that'd not make it any more rock unless you can crank it either, since those are power tubes.

mystique facade
06-17-2006, 05:34 PM
with an overdrive would i be able to get it up to gnr stuff

That_Pink_Queen
06-17-2006, 05:35 PM
A pair of el34's will make it more like 40 watts. Have fun cranking that.

You'll need to mod the amp too.

Dave_Mc
06-17-2006, 05:38 PM
^^ yes. probably without, for the rhythm stuff, anyway.

That_Pink_Queen
06-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Anyways, if you want better hard rock gain, swap in some high gain-low headroom 12ax7's, and boost the **** out of it.

jj1565
06-17-2006, 07:14 PM
molsons golden and cmogi10 both modded their Blues jrs.

i left mine as is for now. but im sure u can get the tones u want out of it wt the right pedal.

utsapp89
06-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Tubes don't make as big a difference as most people say. But a new speaker will have a big effect. The BJ's are kinda flabby on the bottom end, but not too bad.

If you crank the preamp you get a nice rock tone for some stuff, but I think a good OD really tightens it up better.

gpderek09
06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
it'll do Gn'R with out a pedal.

the od sounds great.

you can't put el34's in it. you'd have to do modds.

The Master Plan
06-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Turn the Volume on 11 and put the master on whatever is comfy, and you'll get an orgasmic tube distortion.

R_H_C_P
06-18-2006, 06:40 AM
The Blues Jr does sound very "rock'n'roll" when you turn up the pre-amp volume, sounds very AC/DC-ish.

Also, when you crank one from being clean, it sounds orgasmic, it gets thicker sounding and breaks up, smooooooooth.

Oh yea, always use the "Fat" switch too.

mrfixit687
06-24-2006, 01:51 AM
hey guys is it better to get an overdrive pedal for my blues junior or should i get an attenuator? im trying to get gnr sound out of it, i have epiphone les paul custom with sd alnico 2 pro. oh and i live in an apt so i cant really crank it to get the natural distortion out of it.

Dave_Mc
06-24-2006, 09:13 AM
^ you need to get to crank it somewhere, so you can see what it sounds like like that. The attenuator will only make it sound as heavy as it does when it's at full volume.

Also, you need to check that there's a lead going from the amp part of your blues junior to your speaker- if it's hard wired in, you'll have to do some modding, since the attenuator has to go in between the amp and speakers.

alternatively, go to a shop that has your amp, and an attenuator, tell them you have the amp, but want to see what it sounds like with the attenuator. and then try some ovredrives as well. Of couse, this probably won't work, since they won't have the amp modded for an attenuator. D'oh.

Easiest way is to find somewhere you can crank your amp- friend's house, church hall, recording studio, somewhere.

:cheers:

Hibasaki
06-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Dude, have you alrealdy seen the name of the amp?? It's called BLUES Junior for a reason.
It gives damn great sound for BLUES. You could play like some classic rock, with a overdrive or something. But if you want to play some heavier stuff, I'm so sorry, but this is not your amp. The Blues Jr. is not a versatile amp, but it does good what it was built do good. It comes with a good Eminence speaker (but it's not a bad idea to change it).

I don't know what would happen if you put the EL34 instead of the EL84 (tell me later, post something), but if you change put two EL34, for what I know, you'll get around 50 watts almost.

R_H_C_P
06-24-2006, 02:32 PM
^They're versitile amps with the right pedals.

greenbox
06-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Really quick:

You can't just replace the EL84 tubes with EL34, EL84 use the same 9 pin tube sockets as 12ax7's, while EL34's use an 8-pin socket. So you'd not only have to mod your circuit, you'd have to replace the sockets (which seems pretty tedious for a PCB amp, though I haven't actually looked at it). Also, EL84's typically are cathode or self biased somehow. You'd need to not only add a way to adjust bias to your circuit, but you'd need to bias it for the new tubes. Alot of work when you should just buy a new amp.

Also, the Blues JR. uses a standard 1/4 jack for the speaker, so you'd be able to attenuate it with no problem.