Queen: Supergroup?

PDA

View Full Version : Queen: Supergroup?

BlueOyster23
06-17-2006, 05:08 PM
As you all should know, Queen has recently "reformed" and toured. However, are they really the Queen we know and love? I mean, when you take the former lead singer of Bad Company to substitute Freddie Mercury, and my personal favorite bassist to substitute Queen's bassist(umm...), it really isn't Queen at all. While I do prefer Paul Rodger's voice to Freddie Mercury's, I still don't see it as a voice for Queen. I really think that Tribute should have been used in their name, or something.

I don't know, this is my opinion, feel free to comment or post something else, but seriously, flaming me is just stupid, so just restrain yourself.

xrawrockkillsx
06-17-2006, 05:14 PM
hmmm i think its insane to prefer anyones voice over freddie mercury's...

SomeEvilDude
06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Incidentally, who is playing bass for their tours now?

But I'd agree; without Freddie Mercury it's not Queen. As good as Paul Rogers is, his voice isn't up to par with Freddie's, and as a frontman he - although the same goes for everyone really - just cannot compare.

chylde_of_fire
06-17-2006, 05:20 PM
I personaly think that the biggest crime Paul could have done was try to be a clone of Freddie. He added his own style to the songs, which I thought worked quite well when I saw them last year. Also, it was marketed as 'Queen and Paul Rodgers', so I don't realy think you could say they were trying to replace Freddie in that way. They even used stock audio/video of him in Bohemian Rhapsody.
As long as May and Taylor are still in the lineup, it will still be Queen, just lacking some of their original spark.

Stop Messin'
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Paul is doing an amazing job. I hope they keep it up for another 20+ years.

GuitarBoy-IL
06-17-2006, 05:29 PM
queen-freddie=not queen at all.

Kadaj
06-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Queen isn't Queen without Freddie.

But Paul Rodgers is so much of a better singer, imo.

TheUltimateSin
06-17-2006, 06:18 PM
As you all should know, Queen has recently "reformed" and toured. However, are they really the Queen we know and love? I mean, when you take the former lead singer of Bad Company to substitute Freddie Mercury, and my personal favorite bassist to substitute Queen's bassist(umm...), it really isn't Queen at all. While I do prefer Paul Rodger's voice to Freddie Mercury's, I still don't see it as a voice for Queen. I really think that Tribute should have been used in their name, or something.

I don't know, this is my opinion, feel free to comment or post something else, but seriously, flaming me is just stupid, so just restrain yourself.

Well, in all technicality, they're not called Queen; They're called Queen+Paul Rodgers.

Including the word "Tribute" in their name wouldn't make sense either because that implies it as a cover band, and cover bands don't include original band members. Having any of the actual band members in it would defy the purpose of a cover band. But since they're not, we'll move on.

In any respect, Paul Rodgers can not and will never 'substitute' or 'replace' Freddie Mercury(but that should be obvious so let's just disregard that), and he is in no case trying to be the 'voice of Queen'. He is performing the vocal work so the band can still tour and do the songs we all know and love that were recorded when the band was still together with Freddie.

Do you see what I'm saying :) <--------Please take note of the smiley. It implies a friendly attitude within the message as to it not being taken offensively.

FreddieMercury
06-17-2006, 06:18 PM
it is Queen+PAUL RODGERS not just queen. it isnt like freddie was kicked out or anything he died nothing any one could do about it. People know the queen name why would they change it than no one would know who they are.

john deacon retired from the band and brian may and roger taylor are still around doing there best to promote the queen name and what they created. i agree 110% that queen would have been nothing without freddie but he is gone now and paul rodgers is a hell of a person to sing for him so in my opinion if i was in their shoes i would do the same thing.

Have you seen their concerts? in the opera section of bohemian it is a whole tribute to freddie. during love of my life he says this is dedicated to freddie. they might even make a new album but why not? three amazing song writers with 30 or more years of experience are just trying to have some fun before they retire and i am glad to see them have fun

xrawrockkillsx
06-17-2006, 06:19 PM
it is Queen+PAUL RODGERS not just queen. it isnt like freddie was kicked out or anything he died nothing any one could do about it. People know the queen name why would they change it than no one would know who they are.

john deacon retired from the band and brian may and roger taylor are still around doing there best to promote the queen name and what they created. i agree 110% that queen would have been nothing with freddie but he is gone now and paul rodgers is a hell of a person to sing for him.

:confused:

FreddieMercury
06-17-2006, 06:21 PM
:confused:
oh sorry lol i fixed it

DownDark
06-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Recently? They reformed last year, lol.

And why would they put Tribute in their name? They're not a tribute band, they're half of the real thing. That's why they're not billed as Queen, but they're billed as Queen + Paul Rodgers. Just think of The Who...

BlueOyster23
06-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, in all technicality, they're not called Queen; They're called Queen+Paul Rodgers.

Including the word "Tribute" in their name wouldn't make sense either because that implies it as a cover band, and cover bands don't include original band members. Having any of the actual band members in it would defy the purpose of a cover band. But since they're not, we'll move on.

In any respect, Paul Rodgers can not and will never 'substitute' or 'replace' Freddie Mercury(but that should be obvious so let's just disregard that), and he is in no case trying to be the 'voice of Queen'. He is performing the vocal work so the band can still tour and do the songs we all know and love that were recorded when the band was still together with Freddie.

Do you see what I'm saying :) <--------Please take note of the smiley. It implies a friendly attitude within the message as to it not being taken offensively.

Yeah, I see what your saying, I wasn't aware that it was Queen & Paul Rodgers, my bad.

TheUltimateSin
06-17-2006, 11:12 PM
It's ok. It happens.

freewheelinbird
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
what does it have to do with queen being a supergroup?