BBC sessions?

PDA

View Full Version : BBC sessions?

freewheelinbird
06-17-2006, 09:46 PM
what exactly is BBC sessions?

i just gto cream BBC, and is it like...they recorded a band doing a show in a studio with interviews and stuff or is it like...lost studio recordings and alternate takes and stuff like an anthology?

what other bands have em?

TheHeartbreaker
06-17-2006, 09:52 PM
BBC = British Broadcasting Corporation.

Basically it's a big British news thing for radio, television, and such. The radio station has artists put on concerts at the studio and then they interview them and stuff like that.

Some other bands with BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Free, and The Beatles, though there are more.

beatles_rock09
06-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Bascially it's a live CD. The Beatles have done them and so has Led Zeppelin.

EDIT: ^Crap, beat.

freewheelinbird
06-17-2006, 09:55 PM
oh...so live minus the audience?

and duh i know what the bbc is :-P i'm not a retord!

TheHeartbreaker
06-17-2006, 09:58 PM
^^Well, the audience is basically the guys that work at BBC.

If you watch the Zeppelin desert DVD you'll see audience members are there, but they work at the studio most likely. Plus you can occasionally hear clapping after the end of songs.

rocknroll blues
06-17-2006, 10:32 PM
The ones I'm aware of are Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Yardbirds, Beatles, and Zeppelin. It's usually good stuff, done over a number of weeks or even years. The Yardbirds BBC has material from each era, so it's interesting to compare.

TheHeartbreaker
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
^^I know many bands did BBC Sessions, but not all of them were released on CDs.

Some stuff I have that are BBC are Bonus Tracks added onto albums when they were remastered.

ledhead73
06-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Yah, basically if you wanted to promote your upcoming album or tour in England you would play for the BBC. Sometimes the recordings are in front of a small live audience or studio versions made at the BBC with overdubs and all. Most of the BBC releases by bands like Cream and Zeppelin are compilations of several different performance dates. I know that Led Zeppelin played for the BBC about 4 times, 2 live and 2 studio.
By the way on Led Zeppelin DVD that isn't Zep playing for the BBC. That is from them playing for Dansmark radio in Sweden. None of Zep's BBC stuff was captured on film.

TheHeartbreaker
06-17-2006, 11:20 PM
^^Woops, that's right. :p:

I need to get that DVD so I don't have to guess about stuff on it... I WISH I WASN'T BROKE! :cry:

I'm assuming that's what it's like, though (to some extent, atleast).

hardrock1315
06-17-2006, 11:22 PM
I forget exactly why, but I think for some reason BBC couldn't play the regular records, so they had people come and play for them instead, to compete with the pirate radio. I have the CDs from Cream and Led Zeppelin, and they're both good. The Led Zep one is better though, even though I like Cream better overall.

ridcullylives
06-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I've never heard the Beatles'...how is it?

g4cytheclown
06-18-2006, 07:39 AM
It's very good, even though only has their older songs. It's got a lot of tracks on it, so I definately recommend it.

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 08:28 AM
I forget exactly why, but I think for some reason BBC couldn't play the regular records, so they had people come and play for them instead, to compete with the pirate radio. I have the CDs from Cream and Led Zeppelin, and they're both good. The Led Zep one is better though, even though I like Cream better overall.

Yeah, I like the Zeppelin one a lot better, too.

Not because it's Led Zeppelin, but because I felt that Cream was restricted to keeping their songs in the three-four minute range.

If you listen to other live Cream material such as the songs on Disc 2 of Wheels of Fire or Live Cream Volume I or Live Cream Volume II, you'll notice that they tend to play stuff seven minutes and up, some of which spanning into the fifteen minute range.

ufossuck
06-18-2006, 01:45 PM
The Yardbirds one features a version of "Smokestack Lightning" that they never did again. It was the best version I've ever heard.

frippogenics
06-18-2006, 02:14 PM
The Pretty Things' BBC Sessions has the funniest intro to a song I've heard.

For their song called L.S.D...

"Now it's the Pretty Things with a song about the commodity we're all after...L.S.D."

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 02:25 PM
^^:haha

DownDark
06-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Queen At The Beeb is also very good. It has a version of Ogre Battle before Queen II was even released.

Cal UK
06-18-2006, 02:54 PM
I know Led Zeppelin have done a BBC sessions. It's basiccaly a gig the band do they get interviewed and it gets taped and released.

BrainDamage
06-18-2006, 03:27 PM
^^I know many bands did BBC Sessions, but not all of them were released on CDs. Pink Floyd.

I think I have the Hendrix, Zeppelin and Cream BBC sessions.

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Queen At The Beeb is also very good. It has a version of Ogre Battle before Queen II was even released.

Well we see that with a lot of bands, actually.

Bands often play songs on an upcoming album to try and gain hype.

Habukkuk
06-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Funny story, back in the day people were worried that if you heard a song on the radio too much, you wouldn't buy the record. So they record companies put restrictions on how many times a station could play a record in a day or week or something. It was sort of like the MP3/downloading buzz today: those idiot record companies didn't want us getting something without paying for it.

So anyway, since the BBC could only play like, Sunshine of Your Love twice a day they thought, "Hey. Why don't we have the band come in, and record different versions of their songs live just for us so we can play them on the radio."

So they did. You'd hear Sunshine live at the BBC twice, and Sunshine off the album twice, and everybody was happy. Especially us fans who got really sweet alternate recordings of our favorite songs.

The end.