SMiLE

PDA

View Full Version : SMiLE

ridcullylives
06-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Bizarre, unlistenable, impossible to understand, drugged out, schizophrenic, fragmented, disturbing...

And yet absolutely fookin' brilliant...probably one of the greatest pieces of music created in the 20th century, along with Rhapsody in Blue.

I'm talking about the Brian Wilson album, and wondering if anyone else owns it/has listened to it and what they think about it, and maybe wants to discuss some of the parts...?

fronkpies
06-18-2006, 05:23 AM
*opens limewire*

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 08:33 AM
My father has it, but I've never actually listened to it before...

I will find time, though, sometime soon, so that we can discuss it.

Andrewbiles
06-18-2006, 08:48 AM
I got it when it came out thinking it's going to be amazing, but I was sorely disappointed. A few bits have grown on me, like the fact that the songs are part of bigger songs, but for an album that took 40 years to complete made me feel sorry for Brian.

frippogenics
06-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Everyone makes it out to seem like such an experimental album...When I got it, I was surprised to see how conventional it was compared to what people have said. I don't find any part of it difficult to listen to.

Either way, I really like the album, I'd put it up there with Pet Sounds. Even though Wilson didn't write any of the lyrics, it shoes his excellent compositions and harmonies.

ridcullylives
06-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I got it when it came out thinking it's going to be amazing, but I was sorely disappointed. A few bits have grown on me, like the fact that the songs are part of bigger songs, but for an album that took 40 years to complete made me feel sorry for Brian.

Well it didn't take him 40 years to complete. It took him 40 years to come back to trying to finish it.

Maet
06-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Semantics really. The fact of the matter is that it took 40 years to come out. Whether or not he was working on it for 40 years, or he started May 1966, took 40 years off, then finished May 2006 is besides the point.

ridcullylives
06-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Well, no.

An album that took forty years of constant working on it and then was lame is less excusable than an album that took six months, then a thirty-nine year break, then another six months to finish.

EDIT: I mean...I don't think it's lame, but if one was to think that....

Andrewbiles
06-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Well it didn't take him 40 years to complete. It took him 40 years to come back to trying to finish it.

I know he wasn't working on it for 40 years, and I know it was left alone for the majority of that time, but the fact that the ideas had been festering in his head and on demos for that long and that he didn't feel the confidence in it until 40 years later when Townes helped him out with it made me feel sorry for him, because if I'd waited 40 years to release my "masterpiece", I wouldn't have wanted it to be that.

Floyd93
06-19-2006, 08:33 AM
I think it was a dissappointment(sp?).

ridcullylives
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Well with the way it was hyped you'd expect it to be like God's hand touching the earth, but it was still ****ing brilliant.

TheHeartbreaker
06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I just pulled it out and listened to it.

I didn't think the album was bad, but in comparison to Brian's work with The Beach Boys... it wasn't anything special.

I like the fact that he performed Heroes and Villains, my favorite Beach Boy song.

Misc Debris
06-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I think it would have been way cooler had they released the original tapes instead of rerecording it.Its just that you can't really top a song like "Surfs Up".That was only pulled off once and should be left as it is,a masterpiece of a song.I think to rerecord it is ****ing with its preservation as a work of art.