George Harrison hold back?

PDA

View Full Version : George Harrison hold back?

skydogzoso1986
06-18-2006, 09:18 AM
i don't know what you guys think about it. i saw the video let it be part 2 on youtube.com and in the beginning it was about george harrison, that made the song i me mine, and just wanted to let it hear to the band. he really is shy about singing and playing it, although it's such a nice song. didn't you think lennon and mccartney hold down his talent by just seeing george as a lead guitar player? george made one of my favorite songs of the beatles and i don't know why they would do it. he even brought clapton to the studio to show the beatles he can play rhytm and make songs and doesn't just play fills in between.

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Harrison is, in my opinion, the most talented Beatle.

As a musician, as a lyricist, as a singer.

He was, in fact, very underappreciated as a Beatle, but he seemed to gain much more respect in his solo career.

Not only did he release many, many great post-Beatles albums, but also a great DVD entitled "The Concert for Bangladesh".

Harrison wasn't just a great musician, but a great person, too.

He'll always be my favorite Beatle.

R.I.P. George.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, do you speak English or do you use a translater? I've noticed that your English is pretty good (most of the time) and I was just wondering.

skydogzoso1986
06-18-2006, 10:08 AM
yeah i feel the same way too, he also made the best solo beatle record (all things must pass) imo. he's also my favorite beatle because of his humour, songs and shiness.

thanks for the compliment above man, you just made my day! although i don't see that much difference in my english and yours. i'm in my first year of college and i'm studying to become a teacher english, dutch and informatics. i've been getting into english literature lately and always liked the language. i don't use a translater or anything, just following my instinct :)

Cousin Kevin
06-18-2006, 10:33 AM
first of all good luck to you skydogzoso

second, i never really noticed that. i've always LOVED his songs. and he has been my favorite beatle for quite a while now. but never noticed it. They probably wanted more of the fame to themselves, like the whole lennon/mccartney thing. from things i'ved heard, lennon was a lil selfish. i dont remember what song, but people took offence to it, and he put the blame on paul. idk...

oh well i'd rahter listen to them than research there whole life to find out what was up wtih that... peace

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 10:50 AM
^^Well let's face the facts - John and Paul were asses. Yes, they were good musicians, but they always tried to lead the band, and a lot of this is probably why they hated one another and in some ways influenced the breakup of the band.

Both Ringo and George were overshadowed by them.

thanks for the compliment above man, you just made my day! although i don't see that much difference in my english and yours. i'm in my first year of college and i'm studying to become a teacher english, dutch and informatics. i've been getting into english literature lately and always liked the language. i don't use a translater or anything, just following my instinct :)

Wow, I'm really impressed. There's a few occasions where what you say may become unclear, but maybe it's just because it's on the computer so you're carefree.

It's very good, though. I wish I was as good at German as you are are at English.

g4cytheclown
06-18-2006, 12:07 PM
^^ Yeah, that pisses me off. They should've let Ringo and George have more of a contribution to the band. I was watching live videos and I've only seen Harrison or Ringo sing one song - Lennon and McCartney sung 9/10 of the time. Ringo had a nice voice, too.

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 12:19 PM
^^Yeah, I really like Ringo's voice.

I mean, yes, George and Ringo did get to contribute quit a bit to the band, but in comparison to John and Paul they only got to do so much.

skydogzoso1986
06-18-2006, 12:54 PM
well, thanks again TheHeartbreaker! if i see paul mccartney in the video, he acts like the leader of the band and takes control over everything. ringo and george are just doing their thing and john is sometimes even more busy with yoko than with the band :)

paintITblack39
06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
John and Paul were asses to George. I think George could've done so much better with the Beatles if John and Paul allowed it. When he wrote While My Guitar Gently Weeps, John and Paul didn't even take it seriously. That's why George had to bring Clapton with him so it could be taken seriously. Its a complete sadness that George had to die.

JethroTullfan72
06-18-2006, 05:34 PM
The reason why John and Paul were the leaders of the Beatles was because the other two Beatles simply couldnt lead the band. Neither of them had the talent to. (I would say that George had alot more talent that Ringo did though).
Its not that Paul and John refused to let George contribute, its just that he contributed when he thought he had written a good song.
If John and Paul had held back and let George step up, then we wouldnt have many of the Beatles classics that we have today.

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 07:10 PM
^^Have you heard George's solo career?

I honestly think George's post-Beatles career was the best out of any Beatle. He's definetly very, very talented at writing music and performing.

I agree that maybe George wouldn't have been as good of a leader as John or Paul, but he was, in my opinion, a lot better of a musician.

Jesse Mrau
06-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, Georges solo career is probably the most credible, although not the most sucessful. And he is a wonderful guitarist. He may not be as flashy as many others, but his perfection of what he does play is amazing.
I remeber hearing on a biography once that he actually had to fight extremely hard to get Something onto the album. Even though now it's been named one of the greatest love songs ever written. That just goes to show how little authority that George and Ringo actually had.

TheHeartbreaker
06-18-2006, 07:27 PM
George is definetly one of the most underrated guitarists.

In saying that I don't he deserves top-spot or anything, but he isn't usually recognized as being a great guitarist.

trey-col89
06-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Personally, George's solo efforts in my opinion completely dwarf both McCartney and Lennon combined. George just has so many great solo songs, even on his first album alone. He was clearly and obviously held back (as everyone knows anyway)... he even pokes fun at it in his song "Only A Northern Song"... a song that was recorded for Sgt. Pepper, but was pushed back all the way to the Yellow Submarine soundtrack in 69, quite ironic when you think about it. But even in his time with the Beatles, he produced many great songs that were right up their with John and Paul's.

The funny thing is, even when George wrote a song... it still sounded like a Beatles song. It didn't sound any different, or have this inferior quality to it... no matter who wrote the song, Paul, John, George, or even Ringo (in a couple of cases) it still all just sounded like Beatles songs, and thats the thing I love about them.

Strat_Monkey
06-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I read that John and Paul were always very reluctant to have any of George's songs released as singles. Bastards. I really like Within You Without You on Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, its right up there with the most innovative and original work of John and Paul, and George totally had the best solo career.

slinks
06-18-2006, 08:04 PM
George is my absolute favorite Beatle, and whenever I say so to my friends they always look at me like I just sprouted a third arm from my forehead. He had the best solo career by far. All Things Must Pass is as much a classic album as any of The Beatles' albums. He also has my favorite singing voice of all of the Beatles. Good to see there are some people who agree.

JethroTullfan72
06-18-2006, 10:20 PM
All things Must Pass is an excellent album, but in my opinion, George Harrison never could match the talent of Paul and John. Paul and John wrote better songs, and released better solo albums than George did, in my opinion.

guitarslinger91
06-19-2006, 01:07 AM
george is my favorite beatle. his songs are my favorites. i think paul and john had to take control of the band because the other two hadnt unleashed their talent until later in their careers. they were getting the band started at first but then they became asses by keeping george down. he is such a great songwriter, singer, and musician. his solo career kicked ass.

ridcullylives
06-19-2006, 01:14 AM
All Things Must Pass is basically a collection of songs that John/Paul wouldn't let George record for Beatles albums.

And here's the thing about George...

It's really unfortunate, for his sake, that the man who might have been the third best songwriter and overall musician in England in the sixties had to be in a band with numbers one and two.

And as much as George is one of my favorite guitarists and I think the man is a musical genius...Paul McCartney is, technically speaking, a better guitarist. I'm not kidding. Listen to some of the solos he played and try to play them...they're really tricky and oddly phrased...George's are prettier and more melodic, but Paul's are just ****ing hard to play.

Taxman is an example.

fronkpies
06-19-2006, 05:26 AM
And here's the thing about George...

It's really unfortunate, for his sake, that the man who might have been the third best songwriter and overall musician in England in the sixties had to be in a band with numbers one and two..

exactly :cheers:

I love george

groll01
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
acording to george on anthology all the songs he had written up until revolver had made it on an album n it wasnt till about the white album that the started to pile up......(from memory):P

btw: in the interviews when george is talking bout song writing he doesnt seem to bitter

skydogzoso1986
06-19-2006, 02:12 PM
glad you all share my opinion. i find the scene from "let it be", where george is playing "i me mine", one of the highlights of the movie. john and yoko are dancing together while george is singing and playing guitar. it's so nice because of the simplicity of the song and the feelings george puts in it. nice moment imo!

JimmyStradlin33
06-19-2006, 02:30 PM
I think the devil and the deep blue sea is a brilliant album (that song in particular) i remember when i was raiding my dads cd cuboard and found it i dont think i even knew George Harrison had a solo career and i showed it to my dad was like whats this and he goes oh its brilliant put it on and i was just like well ill humour him and it turned out to be one of my favourite albums.

fronkpies
06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
glad you all share my opinion. i find the scene from "let it be", where george is playing "i me mine", one of the highlights of the movie. john and yoko are dancing together while george is singing and playing guitar. it's so nice because of the simplicity of the song and the feelings george puts in it. nice moment imo!

:cheers:

Another great moment is when george and ringo are working out octopusses garden on the piano then have a little sing song with john lennon on the drums, Paul mcartney walks in and they all stop :haha

paintITblack39
06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
All Things Must Pass > Every other solo Beatles album.

psychodelia
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Not only did he release many, many great post-Beatles albums, but also a great DVD entitled "The Concert for Bangladesh".

Does that have Leon Russell on it? If its the concert I'm thinking of, I love Leon's cover of Jumpin' Jack Flash :)