Ballad of a Thin Man = HOMOEROTIC OVERTONES!!!11!1one!!

PDA

View Full Version : Ballad of a Thin Man = HOMOEROTIC OVERTONES!!!11!1one!!

rocknroll blues
06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Hide your children!
Protect the kids!
Keep our progeniture from being turned gay by the evil workings of Bob Dylan!

Kidding.

But I did discover this website that attests that Mr. Jones (the central character of Ballad of a Thin Man) is gay.

NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!!

;)

Here's a link to the site: http://www.edlis.org/twice/threads/mr_jones.html

wilty00
06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Never heard the song, interesting nonetheless.

What can I say. Gay people intrigue me.

Hauf
06-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey, did you get into my thread earlier!

lol, I will check out that site in a minute.

EDIT- Website is interesting, a lot more reading then I had expected. It's bring up an interesting point that Mr. Jones is a wonderful character of Dylan's. But I believe that's all it is, I don't see why people draw the conclusion Mr. Jones has homosexual tendencies

Edit Squared- Do you believe "Mr Jones" is Jeff Jones?

rocknroll blues
06-18-2006, 10:05 PM
^ Ha yea, your thread reminded me of that site, which I've been meaning to post a thread about.

And I'm not sure if I agree with the gay thing or not, but I can see how they might think that. It's all about word choice.

I think the thing with Dylan is that he has some songs that are clearly very meaningful and have an important message (i.e. Blowin' in the Wind, Times They Are A-Changin', Masters of War), and other songs that aren't laden with as much intent. The words, I believe, are still chosen extremely carefully, as he still comes up with some beautiful phrasing, but as the many examples in your thread show, not all of them make any sense.

Hauf
06-18-2006, 10:13 PM
lol yeh tell me about it. There are many beautifully written songs (Ex. "Sara") but there are also many that I finish listening to and think, what the hell was all that about? lol

dionysus85
06-19-2006, 01:25 AM
nu uh
back then homosexuals were considered freaks
the song is about being freaked out by the freaks
its about the "un-hip" world looking at the world of the freaks and the mad people that dylan was a part of
mr jones is no one in particular

Floyd93
06-19-2006, 10:17 PM
This is an interesting theory.

RunRabbitRun
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
dylan was crazy but he was awsome at the same time so he is cool, yeah... that's right... he's cool

rocknroll blues
06-20-2006, 11:30 AM
dylan was crazy but he was awsome at the same time so he is cool, yeah... that's right... he's cool

No one's arguing with you... :)

RunRabbitRun
06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
didn't say nobobdy was, just expressing an opinion........... you wanna fight?

BlueOyster23
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
In the No Direction Home CD booklet, Dylan's drummer said while listening to a playback that he wouldn't be able to play behind that kind of sentiment after hearing all of the words...just something I noticed

rocknroll blues
06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
didn't say nobobdy was, just expressing an opinion........... you wanna fight?

I'll chop you up into little pieces, mail them individually around the world to no where in particular, so that they get stamped with RETURN TO SENDER, and I get them back, and I'll chop them up into smaller pieces and jump on them until they're flat, and the gum on the bottom of my shoe comes off and gets stuck to your atomized remains.

Kidding! Ha! Ha!