Hail! Hail Rock n' Roll

PDA

View Full Version : Hail! Hail Rock n' Roll

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Has anyone else seen this movie? It was made back in 1987 and it features Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Keith Richards, Little Richard, Roy Orbison, and Linda Ranstadt. I guess it was a tribute to Chuck Berry. I just caught the middle of it a little while ago when Bruce was talking about how he backed Chuck in a show one night. So for those who did see it, what were your thoughts?

distilledspirit
06-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Don't forget Keith richards, he was the leader of the band. I've seen this so many times and I loved it each one. The music is so great and the guests are fantastic (even Julian Lennon :haha). Chuck Berry is still the King of Rock n' Roll.

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM
^Whoops. I thought I was missing a name somewhere. Fixed.

I thought it was pretty good, at least the bit that I had time to watch. Bruce made it pretty clear that he was very happy and excited to meet Chuck, let alone play on the same stage as him.

babaorielly122
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
i thought it was a good movie, it was on cinemax or stars once,

YEAH THATS RIGHT, I HAVE CINEMAX ANNNDDD STARS

im so cool

fenderfreak101
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I saw it on TV a couple of times.

The best part is when he jams with Clapton. Clapton's solo is so wicked sweet in that song.

:cheers:

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 08:08 PM
I figured some of our regular CR junkies would have seen this movie...and liked it to boot.

:cheers: The Clapton solo was spine-tinglin' awesome.

distilledspirit
06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I saw it on TV a couple of times.

The best part is when he jams with Clapton. Clapton's solo is so wicked sweet in that song.

:cheers:

Clapton lights the stage on fire with that one.

Harmonystrat
06-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Yea I just watched today it was great i only caught it half way through though

master
06-20-2006, 09:34 PM
I read an article about it a while ago. Appearantly, Chuck Berry can be a real ass. He didn't let anyone film him until he got a bag of cash each day.

TheUltimateSin
06-20-2006, 09:50 PM
^And according to the muscians who played with him(and documented in the movie), he gave back like $1000 dollars if the equipment worked and if the show went over well.

master
06-21-2006, 11:42 AM
^And according to the muscians who played with him(and documented in the movie), he gave back like $1000 dollars if the equipment worked and if the show went over well.
The must have left that part out of the article. I hate when they try to manipulate certain situations.

JackWhite1988
06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I've watched it about 3 times on one of my digital cable movie channels. I was thinkin about buying the new dvd.

Edit: the bag of cash story doesn't surprise me...Chuck Berry robbed a few banks in his younger days. Selfish bastard.

BlueOyster23
06-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I like when Keith was talking about how during the show, Berry decided to change the entire key of song out of no where, classic.

TheUltimateSin
06-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Edit: the bag of cash story doesn't surprise me...Chuck Berry robbed a few banks in his younger days. Selfish bastard.

Yes, but accordingly, this 'refund' he gave back came straight out of the money they paid him to perform that night/day. If I can quote him correctly(mind is a little fuzzy on the details), this is what Bruce said:

They'd pay him like $11,000 and at the end of the night, if the equipment worked and the show was great, he gave back like $1,000 of it.