Neo-Classical

PDA

View Full Version : Neo-Classical

mamakin87
06-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey,
for a long while i've loved instrumental rock/ shred stuff (satch, vai, rusty cooley, paul gilbert etc), but recently ive found neo calssical shred, like yngwie and vinnie moore..

they are great, but can anyone recommend some more neoclassical players?
i tried lookin, but this was the only thread

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312018&highlight=neoclassical

and it doesnt answer me

Help!!

Thanks

Stratwizard
06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Jason Becker and Tony MacAlpine come to my mind first.

bangoodcharlote
06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Mike Romeo from Symphony X.

Check out the song "Smoke and Mirrors."

mamakin87
06-20-2006, 03:25 PM
cheers

yeah, i've heard of symphony x, but never heard their stuff.

Stratwizard
06-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, and Gilbert has some neo-classical stuff too. Theodore Ziras also has neo-classical ****. Also check out Paganini.

apocalypse13
06-20-2006, 03:35 PM
*cough*MRJ's Dark Chapter*cough*

DSPShadow
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Ritchie Blackmore kindof started the whole trend. So if you're looking for beginning influences, check him out. Vai does one cool piece, called Eugene's Bag, and you can find it in the movie Crossroads or off his cd Elusive Light and Sound. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is also another favorite, as is Nightwish. Definitely check out their cover of Phantom of the Opera.

Best way to do neo-classical, though, in my opinion, is to go through old classical parts, especially piano and violin, and come up with your own arrangements to stuff. Pagannini = violin master. So hit him up for sure. Carol of the Bells is a good piece to start with, which is why it's been done over and over again. Same with Canon in D. Musicals are also a good way to go too. Keep to the darker ones, they have the sound you're looking for. Phantom and Jekyll and Hyde are two of my personal favorites. For Jekyll Hyde, get the two cd version, as some call it "the gothic version." It's the darkest of them all. If you want to send me an email or something, I could probably send you the better tracks. DSPShadow@gmail.com. There's so much practice you could get actually reading music, learning complicated parts, and excercising creativity in composing with a neo-classical bent, I guarantee you getting into it will make you a better guitarist. Good luck bro.

mamakin87
06-20-2006, 03:57 PM
cheers DSPShadow- i'll check out some Pagannini scores in my school, but im still kinda crap at reading music

sock_demon
06-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Michael Angelo Batio, never forget him

PooKoo
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
i'm just waiting for resi to show up, name 30 unknowns, talk about how much more awesome vinnie and tony's fusion/later stuff was better.

shredfan
06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
George Bellas, Joe Stump, Joey Tafolla perhaps.

Evil_Empire24-7
06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Chris Impellitteri
Alex Masi
Uli Jon Roth
Greg Howe
Marty Friedman & Jason Becker
Ron Thal (Aka Bumblefoot) has some neo-classical stuff
Joey Tafolla (Early stuff)
Michael Angelo
Michael Romeo
Francesco Fareri
Tony MacAlpine
Joe Stump
Luca Turilli

chase09
06-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Francesco Fareri

I didn't think his stuff sounded neoclassical, but that could be due to every note being played at about 20 nps with some at 33 nps.

EDIT: Btw, you might wanna check out Jimmy Page. He's probably the best neoclassical shredder out there. :p:

Beckerism
06-20-2006, 09:57 PM
For Neo-Classical, I'd say Jason Becker, Cacophony, Batio, Yngwie, Yngwie, and some more Yngwie. Check out the suggestions that the other guys gave you also.

And let's not turn this thread into one of those "but Neo-Classical isn't REALLY Neo-Classical threads." :p:

Archaon
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
^I'd hardly call Paganini NEO-classical, he was just classical. The guy was a shredding genius of his times, bless that man. Nothing beats his 24th caprice...

Resiliance
06-21-2006, 02:42 PM
i'm just waiting for resi to show up, name 30 unknowns, talk about how much more awesome vinnie and tony's fusion/later stuff was better.

Mmmmmnah. I don't know/have probably forgotten many of the neoclassical one trick ponies :p:

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway... Anyone should start out with good old J.S. and J.C. Bach.

Mad Marius
06-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Bach is more baroque than neo-classical.

Besides, I think in the context of this thread, "neoclassical" refers to classical influenced rock.

Matt_Malmsteen
06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Check out Chopin as well, some of his stuff is worth looking into.

Harmonius
06-21-2006, 05:12 PM
CACOPHONY

Resiliance
06-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Bach is more baroque than neo-classical.

Besides, I think in the context of this thread, "neoclassical" refers to classical influenced rock.

Dude, don't start.

Seriously.

Don't.

Axegrinder#9
06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
EDIT: Btw, you might wanna check out Jimmy Page. He's probably the best neoclassical shredder out there. :p:

seriously, I hope that's a joke. Jimmy Page != neoclassical, and Jimmy Page != shredder. end it there.

Harmonius
06-21-2006, 05:26 PM
seriously, I hope that's a joke. Jimmy Page != neoclassical, and Jimmy Page != shredder. end it there.

It's an obvious Joke.

EDIT: Perhaps not? :confused: v. I don't know, not big on Led Zeppelin. I thought he was anything but neoclassical.

On Topic: You may want to check out Yngwie's Live, "Concerto Suite For Electric Guitar And Orchestra In E Flat Minor Op. 1 - Millennium" album. It's full of Neoclassical goodness with the added bonus of the Orchestra

Prophet of Page
06-21-2006, 05:26 PM

Jimmy has incorporated some classical themes into his work, you just need to look outside Led Zeppelin.

Resiliance
06-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Recommending Jimmy Page in a shred forum...

Something seems a little off :haha

Reemster
06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I think this dude started it all: I know its pretty hard to tell whos the fastest or best guitar player in the world but i would say Shawn Lane, Petrucci or Page.

Who do you think is the fastest one if not one of these three??

:p:

Axegrinder#9
06-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Jimmy has incorporated some classical themes into his work, you just need to look outside Led Zeppelin.

and that would be? I'm curious, post Zeppelin, the only two projects I've heard that he's been involved in, was the short-lived Firm, and then after that, collaborating with Plant and recording a live album.

Prophet of Page
06-21-2006, 07:28 PM
and that would be? I'm curious, post Zeppelin, the only two projects I've heard that he's been involved in, was the short-lived Firm, and then after that, collaborating with Plant and recording a live album.

Well, take it from me that this is the area of Jimmy Page's work I know LEAST about, but I've read that there are such examples on some of the collaboration albums he's done, of which of course, I couldn't name any, so I might be wrong.

garden of grey
06-22-2006, 02:17 AM
yngwie and becker for straters

Gabuydachk
06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Jason Becker, Yngwie, Vinnie Moore

gtgram14
06-25-2006, 05:02 PM
becker, he's the man