Did hendrix build his own effects pedals?

PDA

View Full Version : Did hendrix build his own effects pedals?

Maj_Tom
06-21-2006, 05:42 PM
was talking with some friends and half said he did and the other half said he didn't. I am just curious if thats a fact or not. also, if you know any other well known artists who have built effects pedals of there own post em.

ufossuck
06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
No.

cefasnacht
06-21-2006, 05:49 PM
no, he used the traditional fuzz-face distortion pedal, but he did have someone modify, which replaced a resistor or transistor or something to get that special sound

icatchdinosaurs
06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
didnt he use vox wahs and fuzz-face fuzz pedals?

spiritinthesky9
06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
didnt he use vox wahs and fuzz-face fuzz pedals?
i'm pretty sure aat least that's what he has at wood stock

++++ 78
i'm not sure but i think he built some of them but i'm only a noob in the peadls :peace:

Roc8995
Roger mayer did a lot of pedals for jimi, and most of them were rehoused in old fuzz face enclosures, which made it look like he used them a lot more than he actually did.

DopeDanny
06-21-2006, 05:56 PM
U asked about other artists that made their own,I think Frank Gambale made some of his own custom effects

L_Z_Nut
06-21-2006, 05:57 PM
^^ what he said. Roger Mayer did a lot of pedal modding back in the 60's and 70's for famous artist. He even did some work for Jimmy Page.

seljer
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
nope, like mentioned, Roger Mayer was Hendrix's electronics guru
Some artists have made their own stuff though (the bassist from RatM I believe, and Eddie Van Halen was ghetto rigging together various ****)

as far as Hendrix pedalboard:
the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face - ok, these are really picky, espescially the vintage ones as germanium transitors have huge differences between single types and vary greatly over temperature changes (try hot stage lighting). I've built one to basically what are the vintage specs using germainum transistors and sometimes it just "dies", other times it sounds great...
Out of 10 original ones you get might even get only 4 that actually sound good.
Roger Mayer messed around a bit with Hendrix's ones.
Today you can get a bunch of various clones and reissues of it. Some of the older Dunlop version of it really suck though apparently they've fixed it up now. You've got a bunch of boutique pedal makers who do clones of them.

Wah Wah - your standard vintage Vox. I think Crybabies also count (as at the time Dunlop was basically Vox's US manufacturer/distributer of the thigns)

these first 2 he had practically all the time, other than that every so often you also got:

Tychobrahe Octavia - less picky the the Fuzz Face (but maybe thats because its supposed to sound crazy). I'm going to build one of these very soon.

Univibe - well this one was rather stock. I've been listening to a lot of Robin Trower stuff lately and I really want one :D
Fulltone make a remake, as well as Dunlop

other things you may want to check out:
Electro Harmonix Big Muff - Mike Mathews (the founder of EHX) was Hendrix's promoter for a short time. I believe he had some early versions of these in use. It should be able to give you that thick fat low end that Hendrix's fuzz sound has got.

new Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz - can't remember specifics if its a vintage things or if its new but it sounds really Hendrix like

L_Z_Nut
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't think that Hendrix used a tycobrahe octavia. But I could be wrong.

There's a rumour that the circuit for the octavia was designed by Roger Mayer to be used by Hendrix. Apparently it was copied by one of the Tycobrahe engineers when Hendrix brought in for servicing in the US. It might be true, but then again it might just be a rumour. But I do believe that Roger Mayer did come up with the original design.

I wouldn't get a Roger Mayer Pedal though, way too expensive. I don't think any of his pedals are less then $250. You can get one made for a lot cheaper.

DoTheEvolution
06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
The only "modifying" he did himself was connect his wah pedal before his fuzz pedal. At the time it made a different sound, but he couldn't have the wah and fuzz on at the same time, or massive feedback.

seljer
06-21-2006, 07:05 PM
The only "modifying" he did himself was connect his wah pedal before his fuzz pedal. At the time it made a different sound, but he couldn't have the wah and fuzz on at the same time, or massive feedback.

its not really feedback, its some kind of wierd oscillation between the wah and the fuzzface when the wah is in front of it and you put it in the heel position. You also get it when you turn the guitar volume on 0. I think you can hear the pedals doing this a couple of times in the Isle of Wright show.
Its actually kind of neat, kind of like the chirping seagulls sound you get a from a wah plugged in the wrong way round.

When the fuzzface is first there are no problems.

DoTheEvolution
06-21-2006, 07:10 PM
its not really feedback, its some kind of wierd oscillation between the wah and the fuzzface when the wah is in front of it and you put it in the heel position. You also get it when you turn the guitar volume on 0. I think you can hear the pedals doing this a couple of times in the Isle of Wright show.

When the fuzzface is first there are no problems.
Yea, I knew it something weird like that.

But, I can't remember what show it was, but he he accidently turned on the fuzz with the wah already on, and the amp just sreeked for a bit, and for that he got a 60 second standing ovation.

Go Jimi

seljer
06-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd go record a soundclip by my wah is in peices :p:

I'd also try record the fuzzface wierdness but I'd have to mod it sound I could mis-bias the thing

Maj_Tom
06-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys. I am just interested in seeing who built their own pedals cause I am gonna start as a hobby over the summer break.

seljer
06-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey thanks for the info guys. I am just interested in seeing who built their own pedals cause I am gonna start as a hobby over the summer break.

its addictive. You'll end up spending multiple hundred of dollars on parts to build pedals that don't have much resale value and often don't work until you spend countless hours de-bugging them :S

check out http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/