Genesis

PDA

View Full Version : Genesis

ZeppelinFan3890
06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
OKay so maybe their not classic rock but I got into them and I really like them, even if they are pop. They're amazing.

Am I alone in my beliefs? :confused:

Crazy_Diamond16
06-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Genesis IS classic rock im pretty sure. Either way yea their good.

edit: at least the old genesis is

psychodelia
06-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the prog Genesis, threadstarter? Even better than the pop Genesis imo. Peter Gabriel did most of the singing in this era.

Some albums of note are: Trespass (with, I believe, Anthony Phillips on guitar). He eventually quit due to stage fright. A good album though.

Then, with Steve Hackett on guitar, comes my favorite part: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (a concept album). Phil Collins joined the band at this time. Steve Hackett began mixing in tapping into his playing (pre-EVH!) and supposedly sweep picking, although I have yet to find that. I highly recommend all these albums, though.

During the Gabriel period, Gabriel would often dress in costumes and put on performances during the songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdD6L4cKKU8&search=genesis%20knight This is the song Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. Gabriel has a spot he shaved for some reason on his head? I'm pretty sure you can see a little tapping in this video, but I'm not sure.

Then there was the Hackett/Collins era, which still produced proggish stuff. The two albums are a Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. Again, both are recommended, but control of the band is moving away from Hackett. He would later quit, and the band really began moving in the pop direction you know.

Hopefully you can check out the above albums. If you want song recommendations, let me know. I also highly recommend Hackett's solo career stuff, ranging from prog to classical guitar. Again, I would be happy to recommend material to you :)

come back_FIF!!
06-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Peter Gabriel era Genesis is quite possibly the best music ever to grace this earth with its presence. Foxtrot makes my hair stand on end every time i hear it. Oh and btw, he had that part of his head shaved so certain masks fit better.

SilentDeftone
06-22-2006, 01:07 AM
I like Genesis after Collins stepped up to do vocals. I just like his voice better.

-C_Fluff :dance:

Muaddib
06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
I like Genesis after Collins stepped up to do vocals. I just like his voice better.

That, right there, is amazing, absolute blasphemy. Not saying that Collins sings like a cat but man, Gabriels voice is unique. uuuuuunique.

And psychodelias right, later genesis is kinda pop but grab foxtrot, nursery crime at least. It created the fondations of what progressive rock truly is.

self-made_page
06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I have Selling England by the Pound, but I don't like a lot of it. The first three songs are fantastic, but then after that it's meh.

Muaddib
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Listen to suppers ready.

igotabcrich32
06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
That, right there, is amazing, absolute blasphemy. Not saying that Collins sings like a cat but man, Gabriels voice is unique. uuuuuunique.

And psychodelias right, later genesis is kinda pop but grab foxtrot, nursery crime at least. It created the fondations of what progressive rock truly is.

Unique doesnt mean better.

I like Gabriel's voice better too, but still.

Muaddib
06-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Of course unique doesnt mean better, i got a unique awfull voice.

Gabriel got a unique beautifull voice. Unique has in, no singers sounds like him.

psychodelia
06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
^ Although Collins managed to do a decent job of it singing backup, I used to have trouble figuring out who was doing what part in certain songs.

jimtaka
06-22-2006, 03:18 PM

agreed.

TheHeartbreaker
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I like both "eras" of Genesis with Peter Gabriel as a singer, but I also enjoy the era where Phil Collins was the singer.

Good progressive rock band, but I prefer Yes over Genesis.

wilty00
06-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Phil Collins has one of my favorite voices of all time. I dunno why.. I just love his vocals (solo projects included).

psychodelia
06-23-2006, 10:47 AM

Have you heard A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering? I enjoy those albums quite a bit.

LeDaemon
06-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the vid link Psychodelia! I first started getting into Genesis right around when "Duke" came out in '80 or so. I didn't even know the Peter Gabriel stuff existed then and didn't start picking up their early albums until I was in college in the late 80s when I got into 70's Prog. Genesis is really 2 totally different bands with the progressive Gabriel material or the more pop oriented Collins lead band. Both are really good in their own respects! I'm more fond of the early material these days: "Trespass" to "Lamb."

And I'll raise you "Suppers Ready"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOMA37tOdXI&search=suppers%20ready

DownDark
04-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Just looked through the last 6 pages and noticed there wasn't a thread for this amazing band, so I took it upon myself to make one. All I have to say is that I love Carpet Crawlers and Supper's Ready (which is probably the most epic song ever).

ckellingc
04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Agreed, Supper's Ready Rocks.

psychodelia
04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
One of my favorite bands ever. They made some of the best moments in popular music for me.

Cptbeefheart
04-30-2007, 01:50 PM
I like them better during the Peter Gabriel era.

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
^^Same, though some of post-Gabriel is bearable.

DownDark
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
^^Same, though some of post-Gabriel is bearable.

That's an understatement, IMO. A Trick of the Tail is an awesome album, though I usually have to be in the mood to listen to Wind & Wuthering. Seconds Out is a great live album, and I think Phil Collins does an excellent job at all the Peter Gabriel songs. I often listen to Invisible Touch more than ...And Then There Were Three... and I think Duke, s/t, and Abacab are excellent albums.

However, I've never heard We Can't Dance or Calling All Stations and I don't plan on giving the latter a try anytime soon.

psychodelia
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Wind & Wuthering does have its moments, though... Afterglow in particular.

DownDark
04-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Agreed. Beautiful chorus.

mr moustache
04-30-2007, 07:11 PM
genesis...wow. im surprised there wasnt a thread for them before now.

i would have to say my favorite album is selling england by the pound. dancing with the moonlit knight is so beautiful. all of that album is good. though. and yes, suppers ready is awesome.

Supreme WarHawk
04-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound are my favourite albums.

and yeah, I'm not a fan of them after Hackett left. which was shortly after Gabriel left.

DownDark
04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow. No love for Lamb Lies Down On Broadway...

mr moustache
04-30-2007, 10:02 PM
its not *bad*. just not my favorite. i will give it another listen soon though

psychodelia
04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm appreciating the first disc a bit more. Back in NYC and Carpet Crawlers are already big favorites of mine, and I really like Counting Out Time lately, with the distorted riff.

DownDark
04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
The title track is great, too.

psychodelia
04-30-2007, 10:11 PM
It is... I've never really looked much into the "concept" of the album, I should soon.

Bartex
05-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Great rock band, but not at all. When I listen some songs I feel bored. Generally Genesis deserves respect

Lord_Anonymous
11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi, i'm looking desperately for the tab of Dancing with the moonlit knight, do you know where to find it?
it's one of the greatest songs by genesis according to me, but i can't find its tab. :mad:
Thx a lot!!!

SilentDeftone
11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I prefer Phil Collins' singing.

Yeah, I said it.

I like The Way We Walk albums the best.

-SD :dance:

Lord_Anonymous
11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi, i'm looking desperately for the tab of Dancing with the moonlit knight, do you know where to find it?
it's one of the greatest songs by genesis according to me, but i can't find its tab.
Thx a lot!!!

SilentDeftone
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Have you heard A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering? I enjoy those albums quite a bit.
No.
http://www.theburningbiscuit.com/Pictures%20for%20site/Demotivational%20Posters/Unique.jpeg

It's a personal preference. /shrug

-SD :dance:

BrainDamage
11-05-2007, 05:19 PM
^^ :p:

NOTE: Genesis threads merged.

Bonscott4ever
02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Anyone here see about the three box sets that are coming out. (each one chronicles another era 76-82 is Collins, 70-76 Gabriel, and 83-98 Collins and that other guy that did calling all stations) the only this I don't understand i why they aren't including their first album. anyone have any clues about that??

KileManA7X
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I thought Peter Gabriel's solo career sucked major ass. Phil Collins' solo career still kicked just as much ass as when he was in Genesis. The Peter Gabriel era of Genesis was freakin amazing though but so was the Phil Collins era. I get annoyed when people say Phil ruined the band. He actually kept it going. Don't forget he helped write much of the early stuff. If it weren't for him, the Genesis name wouldn't be anything now. Peter also eventually sold out. So basically I think

Peter Gabriel = Phil Collins.

Who else thinks so?

psychodelia
02-27-2008, 02:41 AM
lol, you say Gabriel = Collins but also say Gabriel's solo career sucked, while Phil's kicked ass? :confused:

I will say that I find both solo careers to be a bit inconsistent, but with nice moments in each. Overall I prefer Gabriel's work, but Phil does write some nice pop tunes.

My favorite solo career from an ex-Genesis member is Steve Hackett; he's been constantly pushing his music forward, with some rock and experimental music, as well as a couple of conceptual classical guitar albums, with his latest album integrating some of the orchestral with the rock. The only thing he sometimes lacks is a decent singer, although I think Phil Collins has been on at least one album with him.

Another excellent ex-Genesis work to check out is Anthony Phillip's "The Geese and the Ghost". It's delicate and soothing, and has some contributions from Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins.

KileManA7X
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
What I meant was that since the Peter Gabriel era was so amazing it kinda excused his horrible solo career.

My mom didn't even know Peter Gabriel was ever in Genesis! I think that means something. Phil Collins kept the name going.

frusciante.ve
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
peter gabriel solo career isn't horrible.

I wish they kept the early days creepyness

funny fact: I didn't know about genesis until like a week ago, I only knew about Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins as solos. I always confused one with the other because their voices sound similar to me. Figuring out they were together in a band really surprised me :haha

psychodelia
04-23-2008, 10:42 PM
peter gabriel solo career isn't horrible.

I wish they kept the early days creepyness

funny fact: I didn't know about genesis until like a week ago, I only knew about Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins as solos. I always confused one with the other because their voices sound similar to me. Figuring out they were together in a band really surprised me :haha

Yeah, it's funny that they went to such trouble to replace Gabriel when they had a great replacement in the band (in terms of sound).

esp1234
09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
The Fox's head with the dress gets me every time

Maet
09-13-2008, 09:06 PM
It's funny I should see this thread on the front page today since I've gotten into the habit of listening to Selling England by the Pound every morning commute. I'll probably wear that out and need some other stuff.

I have their entire discography on my iPod and their catalogue seems so overwhelming every time I scroll by it.

esp1234
09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Anybody think their first album wasn't that great? I mean it is OK, but Foxtrot wins against "from Genesis to revelations"

psychodelia
09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Anybody think their first album wasn't that great? I mean it is OK, but Foxtrot wins against "from Genesis to revelations"

I don't really care for it. Then again, I think Foxtrot is good, but not as good as some of the other stuff. Watcher of the Skies is fantastic, and Horizons is a nice little tune, but the others aren't at the same level imo.

Then again, I feel like Selling England is their only album that really meets my expectations from start to finish. Other albums have great work mixed with good work and occasionally some stuff that I'd really rather do without.

FireMoon
09-14-2008, 11:40 PM
The début Genesis album was called Genesis to Revelation. Trespass is actually their second album. If memory serves me right Steve Hackett joined for Nursery Cryme along with Pill Collins.

The Lamb lies down was the big break through studio album but their cheapo live album was the one that actually broke them first, commercially in the UK. It's a single album recorded at the Reading festival.

Shortly after the hit big Trespass/Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot/Selling England by the pound were released in double boxed sets on vinyl in their original covers..

Phil Collins was a stage school kid who played The Artful Dodger in the stage version of Oliver as child. He provides many of the strange voices and accented voices on the early albums behind Gabriel.

EVH quotes Hackett as a big influence on his style and admits he copped the tapping from him.

Maet
11-29-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't really care for it. Then again, I think Foxtrot is good, but not as good as some of the other stuff. Watcher of the Skies is fantastic, and Horizons is a nice little tune, but the others aren't at the same level imo.

Then again, I feel like Selling England is their only album that really meets my expectations from start to finish. Other albums have great work mixed with good work and occasionally some stuff that I'd really rather do without.

I'm not into Watcher of the Skies. The rest of Foxtrot is great, but at the risk of sounding stupid, Watcher of the Skies sounds like plastic. Timetable and Horizons are great, and Supper's Ready is about as epic as you can get. I especially like Supper's Ready live on Seconds Out.

I'm listening to A Trick of the Tail a lot now. Aside from the opening and closing tracks, the whole thing is solid. Especially Squonk, Mad Mad Moon and Robbery Assault and Battery.

psychodelia
11-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm listening to A Trick of the Tail a lot now. Aside from the opening and closing tracks, the whole thing is solid. Especially Squonk, Mad Mad Moon and Robbery Assault and Battery.

Haha... I especially like the opening and closing tracks. I also like Squonk, but my favorite song is probably Entangled (although the outro does get tedious).

Has anyone else listened to Steve Hackett's "Watcher of the Skies" album? It's Hackett and a number of other musicians (including John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Tony levin) playing reworked Genesis songs and a couple of new ones. The singing is (mostly) inferior to the originals, and I find the album to be a bit over-produced, but there are definitely some interesting moments, and I do like some of the new versions.

Last bit; they don't seem to be promoting it well at all, but Genesis is releasing a box set of the five Peter Gabriel albums, all remastered, plus dvd-as of all the albums in 5.1, along with a few bonus features. It looks interesting, but I don't think I'll get it.

skizoman05
11-29-2008, 03:04 PM
i guess you can call phil collins' time as pop...but it was pretty damn good pop compared to whats out there now in my opinion - peter gabriel sounded better when he went solo

The Contagen
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
They spawned Phil Collins, can't be that bad.

Thefallofman
11-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Last bit; they don't seem to be promoting it well at all, but Genesis is releasing a box set of the five Peter Gabriel albums, all remastered, plus dvd-as of all the albums in 5.1, along with a few bonus features. It looks interesting, but I don't think I'll get it.
It's funny you mentioned the lack of promotion- I noticed that too. Pretty funny, because I remember tons and tons of promotion for the Phil Collins era box set.

jcasey77
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
wow, another genesis thread, sweet, i can never find one. I just picked up Selling England by the Pound and A trick of the Tail from my towns record store (yes, i still buy records). I'm impressed with both of them but A Trick of the Tail sounds a bit empty, especially when compared to the live stuff off seconds out. Los Endos live blows the studio version out of the water.

Maet
12-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Second's Out is possibly my favourite live album. Supper's Ready live is incredible.

sgtpeppers445
12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Genesis was amazing up until hackett left the band then some of that prog magic went away with mike ruthorford's guitar playing on the later albums

Maet
12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Anyone pick up the 1970-1975 Genesis box set? 13 discs of material for ~$100.

psychodelia
12-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Anyone pick up the 1970-1975 Genesis box set? 13 discs of material for ~$100.

I've thought about it, but I don't have a decent surround setup at the moment anyway.

Maet
12-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Buy headphones. Equal or better quality for 6x - 8x less than what you would pay for a decent surround set up.

psychodelia
12-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Buy headphones. Equal or better quality for 6x - 8x less than what you would pay for a decent surround set up.

Mmm... I'll probably buy some surround headphones at some point, since that'd be handy for rough 5.1 mixing.

But at the moment, my buying priorities are not for box sets or new headphones. Are you planning on getting set?

Maet
12-15-2008, 03:35 AM
I put it on the Christmas list since there's really nothing else I want aside from a new desk chair.

I would be more enthusiastic if it went from '70-'76 so that way A Trick of the Tail would be included. It covers the Gabriel years (I think. Not well versed in the history of the band) sans From Genesis to Revelations with copious goodies and DVD to match the remastered CDs.

Maet
01-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I bought the '70-'75 collection after Christmas.

The remasters for Selling England By The Pound are excellent. If all the discs are this good, it's definitely worth a look.

ledzeppelin535
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Why do so many fans hate ..and then there were three, but like wind and wuthering? I know Hackett isn't on ATTWT but the sound of the album is still very close to W&W.

jaysee
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM
It's interesting I think that genesis are essentially a band of 2 very different styles and periods yet throughout their career (CAS-period excepted) continued to get more fans and draw huge crowds.

Purists will say it all went donwhill after gabriel left but for me it just changed focus. Up to the Abacab album you can hear the band shaking off the "prog" tag in favour of shorter, more direct songs. That's not to say that forgot their "prog roots" with the likes of Domino, Home By The Sea, Driving The Last Spike, Abacab. I think there are some that tend to blame Collins for this change into "pop". I doubt this personally as writing was always a band effort so all 3 members had to agree on a track.

Anywho IMO there's something for everyone to enjoy so if you're new to the band or a certain "era", park your preconceptions at the door and dig in!

You can check out my "best of each era" list at my blog if you're bored.

http://music-words.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-gotta-get-in-to-get-out.html
http://music-words.blogspot.com/2008/10/out-of-focus-though-outline-still.html

DownInAHole.
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Favorite album is a tossup between Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Wind and Wuthering, and Selling England By the Pound. I love me some Genesis.

jcasey77
01-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I think the Phil Collins Pop Stigma comes more from his solo work than the stuff he did with Genesis. Tony Banks did a lot of the writing in the more "pop" years, but he also tried to gravititate their songs back to their more "proggish" roots.

TranquilNight
03-31-2009, 03:21 AM
Fuck pop-era Genesis. In fact, fuck all pop-era prog bands which sold out (not a coincidence so many went with the flow, simplifying their music dramatically, and made lotsa $$$). It's all about expression and not about making it big. In the end, 70's progressive rock sounds timeless, while 80's pop sounds old and outdated.

To those liking pop-era Genesis more because of vocals: you suck. Shame on you. Did you forget about the other masterful instruments and composition?

jcasey77
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Fuck pop-era Genesis. In fact, fuck all pop-era prog bands which sold out (not a coincidence so many went with the flow, simplifying their music dramatically, and made lotsa $$$). It's all about expression and not about making it big. In the end, 70's progressive rock sounds timeless, while 80's pop sounds old and outdated.

To those liking pop-era Genesis more because of vocals: you suck. Shame on you. Did you forget about the other masterful instruments and composition?
Woah, easy there killer. Some people just have different musical tastes. Hell, I like a few of the songs off of Invisible Touch. Domino and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight are pretty good and they came out of 1983. Sure I prefer the 70's era Genesis to the Pop oriented one, but there are still some good songs, its just how music developed.