classic rock compilation

PDA

View Full Version : classic rock compilation

kid jesus
06-26-2006, 03:54 AM
does anyone know where i can find a good classic rock compilation of mp3s, or can anyone give me a list of some good classic rock songs i could compile onto a cd or two myself?

bajeda
06-27-2006, 12:38 AM
what are you looking for specifically?

Classic Rock is a pretty broad term.

psychodelia
06-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Well why do you want this compilation? I assume you are either trying to get into CR, or possibly making a mix for someone other than yourself.

If you want to get into CR, it's broad like bajeda said. Look at the recommendation thread by wilty, and see if any of the general topics catch your interest.

If you have some idea of the kind of stuff you are looking for, post again in this thread; since you need specific songs as opposed to albums I'm guessing the thread might stay, although I can't be certain.

kid jesus
06-27-2006, 03:02 AM
yeah, i know it's pretty broad, and yeah, it'd be for myself. i'd like to make a compilation for myself to see if i can get into classic rock. i haven't really listened to much of it. however, now that i know there is a classic rock recommendation thread, i'll check it out. i never would've started this thread had i know it was there. i guess i should pay more attention lol. thanks guys.

distilledspirit
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, telling from your profile it seems you're more into that modern punkish, but you have so many genres under your favorite groups.

So from basic recommendations I've given to friends of mine I'd say to definetly check out Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, AC/DC to give you that hard rock feel. As many before me said Classic Rock is so broad because just like punk and metal, there are several genres. To give a more progressive feel check out Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis(not a fan but many like them), King Crimson. Progressive is usually a required taste to really get into, but it's spectacular. There is also experimental just like nowadays(we started it all :D) like Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd could also be experimental, and then there's Velvet Underground. But most of all to really delve deep and/or get your feet wet in classic rcok water, definetly buy a Beatles album. You've heard so much about them now it's time to check them out.

I couldn't really give you certain songs because just as bands come, their songs also have different sounds. Hope I was helpful.

Maet
06-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Just start out with Led Zeppelin IV like everyone else did.

omatuka
06-27-2006, 12:55 PM
deep purple "made in japan", aerosmith "aerosmith", camel "mirage" dream theater "images and words" .... but it's pretty hard to get into CR just like that... takes time... ;) hope u enjoy anyway

wilty00
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Well why do you want this compilation? I assume you are either trying to get into CR, or possibly making a mix for someone other than yourself.

If you want to get into CR, it's broad like bajeda said. Look at the recommendation thread by wilty, and see if any of the general topics catch your interest.

If you have some idea of the kind of stuff you are looking for, post again in this thread; since you need specific songs as opposed to albums I'm guessing the thread might stay, although I can't be certain.

THANK YOU :down:

BrainDamage
06-28-2006, 10:32 PM
^^ :p: if it makes you happy, I used that thread to help me try and decide upon my next CD purchase. Then I realized that you listed all of the Eagles' albums as a recommendation...

Maet
06-28-2006, 10:44 PM
deep purple "made in japan", aerosmith "aerosmith", camel "mirage" dream theater "images and words" .... but it's pretty hard to get into CR just like that... takes time... ;) hope u enjoy anyway

Since when have Dream Theater been considered classic rock?

psychodelia
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
THANK YOU :down:

I got your back :cheers:

Well (threadstarter) since you like punk apparently, obviously check the classic punk section of the recommendation, and I would also add David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. That album is pretty much awesome and I think there's a good chance you might enjoy it.

kid jesus
06-28-2006, 11:48 PM
thanks guys, and i like all kinds of stuff, i just procrastinate too much, and i haven't gotten around to updating my favorite groups section...but i mean, i don't like getting too much into the whole genre thing, so i actually LIKE to be very broad about the terminology haha...it's just i hear lots of people praising all this classic rock, and i've just never had much exposure to it, so i figured hey, i should check it out. and i was just wondering if there were some classic rock compilations out there (like maybe a torrent for me to download) to, ya know, get me started. thanks to all of you for your recommendations, i'll definitely be checking out these bands. and also thanks for not just saying, ya know, 'you stupid ****ing queer, you can't just suddenly get into classic rock blah blah blah bitch bitch bitch you're a retard' ya know what i mean? you guys are great. thanks again!

DownDark
06-29-2006, 01:02 AM
You can't go wrong with a little Queen *winks*