good bass songs to learn

PDA

View Full Version : good bass songs to learn

stockholm
06-26-2006, 07:21 PM
i have been playin guitar for a year and i absolutely love it, but i just know alot of bands that need a bass and i like bass so i wanna learn(fairly simple concept)......and i need some songs to start off so any ideas are would help.........maybe more rock type music with some bass solos? not so much funk but im open to learn anything.

audiorapist
06-26-2006, 07:26 PM
i've only just started, but i do love playing such basslines as money by floyd, slither by VR, and basically anything by the chillis.

qcMan
06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Check out any early metallica with Cliff Burton. Pretty amazing bass, if you like to play with your fingers.

Here are a couple: Orion, Anesthesia ( Pulling teeth ), For whom the bell tolls, Fade to black, Master of puppets, ... Lots more

horazonblade
06-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Learn anything by the chili peppers or Rage Against the Machine, they are bassist who don't need to play the craziest lines, but play very well without having to follow the root of the guitar, a common happening due to the ease (as opposed to writing a creative bass line that compliments and flavors the song... you just play what the guitarist is.. ugh.. unless of course your guitarist is talented and would suit the song, something like Black Dog, the bassist going with the guitarists is very nice)

Metallica!
06-26-2006, 07:29 PM
That Guy Took My Ideas ^^^^^^^ but yeah early metallica Stuff IS Good.

horazonblade
06-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh yea, if you play metal, there are very very few bassist that should be modelled after like Cliff Burton of early Metallica.

EDIT: Most bass solos are slap/funky. For some non, you could check out some Muse or Rancid (Don't be scared away by some of the speed, many early bassist are)

5thhorseman
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Black Sabbath and live early era Zeppelin are what I recommend. That's where all the bass players I know got insperation.

ihavnofingrprnt
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
hysteria by muse is always impressive and not too hard for a begiiner(learn how to play it on guitar then swtch to bass is what i did) early metalica, chili peppers have alot of good basslines FLEA is a genious, Rage against the machines has a good bassist, nirvana songs are always easy, RAppers delight by sugar hill gang is a party favorite, and i cant realy think of a whole lot more, but any songs you know with powerchords bass lines are usually just the root note of the power chord I.E

5 7
5==== 7======
3 3 5 5

ihavnofingrprnt
06-26-2006, 07:41 PM
that came out weird but i think you get the jist of it

MX4Life
06-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Calm Like a Bomb. It's a sick, easy intro.

mangablade
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Dost no soul have the courage to attempt a stab or two at thy "Search-eth Button"!?

I pity the wanderer who stumbles upon this fine tavern, talks a tale thats been told too many times before, and recieves banishment from the usurper!

All fear the mighty UTBDan, with his furious fingers of Funk-titude, he will condemn you to HELL!

maXterbat0r
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Saria's Song-develops fast fretting and string changing
Canon in D- simple bassline that you can develop into intricate riffs
Money-another simple, repeating line that sounds mighty fine

some good stuff

soul_power
06-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Throw away your television by the chili peppers or anything by rhcp for that matter. Its really simple but it sounds hard. Pretty much anything by rage or audioslave. Umm you know your right by nirvana has a fun bassline. Mudshovel by staind is really easy and fun.