Yes lyrics interpretation

PDA

View Full Version : Yes lyrics interpretation

mountaindew88
06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Yes lately (Yes, The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Yessongs, Going for the One, The Ladder, Magnification), and I am really into it. However, I'm having trouble interpreting what the lyrics mean. The first album (Yes) is somewhat more direct, but the other albums are very stream-of-consciousness and difficult to understand. I was led to Yes through Rush, whose lyrics are much more direct (but equally as interesting).

Anybody have some input on this?

!@#$
06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Yes is good.....yes.

That's it.

TheHeartbreaker
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes is awesome.

I think that this would be a sweet thread, but hopefully it won't be closed because we already have a Lyrics Interpretation Thread.

distilledspirit
06-26-2006, 11:48 PM
This subject has been brought up many times about Jon Anderson's lyrics, and if they really mean anything. I've stated this before and TheHeartbreak is a witness that Jon writes lyrics the way HE wants, not the way WE want.

TheHeartbreaker
06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, it's definetly a cool idea to see what other people think Anderson's lyrics are about, but as distilledspirit says, he writes what he wants to write about - just because we "interpret" them doesn't mean that they're even close to being about what he intended them too.

That's what you come across with a lot of lyrics, poems, and even paintings - interpretations aren't always accurate.

However, I think that this would be a cool thread idea, even though, as I've already stated, we have a thread very similar to this, that, rather than focusing mainly on Yes, focuses on Classic Rock songs in general.

distilledspirit
06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I've always pondered what some lyrics of his really meant like in "And You and I", there's a line "I listened hard but could not see." I don't know if there's any definite meaning of it but it's a good line in my eyes(and ears).