Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers?

PDA

View Full Version : Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers?

TimmyPage06
06-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Ok, before you report me, or close this, hear me out.

It's wierd, because on my local Classic Rock station, (Q 107, Toronto) they sometimes play Red Hot Chili Peppers, and sometimes the old Metallica (Nothing past Black Album).
They also have the Black Crowes (which I put in the category of classic rock, despite being a bit late), Big Sugar, and Guns and Roses sometimes (All of which, once again, are classic rock in my mind, just late, so they arent as "Wow thats wierd")

And, it's just kind of strange, my cousin, in London, where they have the Eagle or something like that, gets it to, where they will play those bands on the classic rock station.

Anyone else get this? Anyone know why these bands would be here? And finally, does anyone else have any other bands that they consider rather modern, or with other styles of music, played on their classic rock stations?

bangoodcharlote
06-30-2006, 12:41 AM
GnR

psychodelia
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Hmm they play new U2, but that's sort of grandfathered in since U2 is classic rock, and they don't overdo it.

GnR has started getting circulated in about two months ago. Bleh. I hear enough of them on modern radio, and its not even my favorite songs, but whatever.

Aside from that nothing unusual, really.

Sixpounder
06-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Yeah theres about three or four radio stations around hear, that are like that

AC/DC10
06-30-2006, 12:49 AM
ya the station i listen to here in vancouver (101.1) has played under the bridge before, but ive only heard them play it once, and they also sometimes play nirvana. just so you know, its classic rock 101.1 so its not like its a station that plays all the new/recent stuff

Wylde
06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
theres a place in maine like the too.. the bone... but her in boston you hear the same sh*t over and over again on the radio

FloydFan89
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
it kinda pisses me off when that heppens, i have three classic rock stations and they play stuff like green day, and nirvana, its those bands that killed the rock age

GOD I HATE THEM

rps13fanatic
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
I hate the radio stations in Houston Texas. They all play the bands that sound the same to me, Stained, Puddle of Mud, Nickelback, and so on. I moved here from LA and I used to listen to 106.7 KROQ like 65% of my day (at work, in the car, in my room, and sometimes when I sleep). I thank the fine listeners and their eclectic musical taste in Texas. They killed radio for me.

Matty22
06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
ya the station i listen to here in vancouver (101.1) has played under the bridge before, but ive only heard them play it once, and they also sometimes play nirvana. just so you know, its classic rock 101.1 so its not like its a station that plays all the new/recent stuff

Is it The Moose??

Wylde
06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
not to mention the chili peppers and metallica have both been around for like 25 years

AC/DC10
06-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Is it The Moose??

if you read my post entirely, i said it was Classic Rock 101.1

Jesse Mrau
06-30-2006, 03:14 AM
Wait a second, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers started in 1983, and their first album came out in 1984. The rules state that rock music from 1960-1984 is classic rock. .......so does this mean that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers could maybe be considered classic rock?

Floyd93
06-30-2006, 08:57 AM
^^It's kind of weird to think that but, by this site's standards, they technically are. You still have to post threads about them in modern rock, though. That's probably because they don't SEEM like classic rock. I also don't consider them as classic rock.

TheHeartbreaker
06-30-2006, 09:05 AM
I also have a radio station that claims it plays "only Classic Rock".

However, I have heard Black Crowes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns and Roses, and even Nirvana.

theres a place in maine like the too.. the bone... but her in boston you hear the same sh*t over and over again on the radio

Same. That's why I don't listen to the radio anymore.

Once when my family was going on a trip we hear these five songs played in a row before a commercial break, and guess what? - they played the exact same songs in the exact same order at around the exact same time on the same day (a week later, mind you) as we were returning home.

skateguitar7654
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Whoaaa.

Chili Peppers being classic rock? thats a new one. They werent really popular until much much much later. You cant really call them that. Also the dates on UG are aproximate, and mostly talking about bands that were finishing up around that time, or at least had been around for 10-20 years.

But forget the techinicalities,(spelling, is that even a word? haha) the chili peppers dont even sound like classic rock. They sound like the funk rock they are.

Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Red Hot Chili Peppers? I think not.

BrainDamage
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Ok, before you report me, or close this, hear me out.

It's wierd, because on my local Classic Rock station, (Q 107, Toronto) they sometimes play Red Hot Chili Peppers, and sometimes the old Metallica (Nothing past Black Album).
They also have the Black Crowes (which I put in the category of classic rock, despite being a bit late), The Black Crowes rock. Best band in the past 15 or so years if you ask me. I guess it's better if radio stations play older Metallica, Chili Peppers, or Crowes, as opposed to say, Nirvana, who are nowhere near being Classic Rock (then again, I like Metallica, RHCP, Black Crowes, and Nirvana, so either way, it really wouldn't bother me...).

TheHeartbreaker
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
^^I wouldn't mind hearing Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Crowes, or even Guns and Roses on the radio, but just not on a station that claims it's "pure Classic Rock" - it's very hypocritical.

wilty00
06-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Well let's see.

Yesterday, my local radio station played "Come as You Are" and"This is How You Remind Me" (Nickelback) they played older Green Day at one point as well I believe.

Today they played Welcome to the Jungle but it was awesome 'cause its good driving music and I got my license a few days ago :D

guitar_freak333
06-30-2006, 05:23 PM
In Chicago we have a station called The Drive 97.1. It plays "The Greatest music ever made" I haven't ever heard them play anything as recent as 1985. I love that station.

notoriousnumber
06-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Well I suppose that some early 80s stuff could be considered as CR, god only knows what people in 30 years time will listen to as CR.

:vhan:

alex_haeni
06-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Because classic rock stations need newer, top of the charts music to attract younger listeners, probably.
And if they broaden their musical spectrum, they would attract more types of people.

rayIII
06-30-2006, 09:01 PM
if you read my post entirely, i said it was Classic Rock 101.1
you don't accept PMs so I'll ask you here... what the hell is your avatar?? (other than a guy's head exploding)

to contribute to the thread though... yeah, I suppose RHCP started in "classic rock era" 1983 but you wouldn't consider The Cure CR for that reason now would you?

this is why I think GNR should be CR... so what if they "missed it" by a couple years... it's the style that counts.

JimmyPageda2nd
06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
My classic rock station (97.3, THE EAGLE) plays strictly 1965-1979 classic rock. My favorite station!

MeGaDeth2314
06-30-2006, 09:08 PM
The CR station here started playing GnR a while ago, but I haven't heard any Metallica on it yet. I THINK I may have heard a RHCP song, but neither RHCP or Metallica are Classic Rock, so your station is just ****ed up.

DownDark
06-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Why not? RCHP and Metallica have both been releasing albums since 1984 so...

Maet
06-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Why not? RCHP and Metallica have both been releasing albums since 1984 so...

Most people agree that Classic Rock is a sound more than an era. Also, you have to go by common sense too.

So classic rock is music from 1960-1984... great. So that means The Partridge Familiy is classic rock. That means that Bonny M is classic rock, and that means that Funkadelic and Parliment are classic Rock. I don't think so...

It's fairly obvious the Metallica are metal and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are some sort of mishmash of funk, surf, rock and dance and not Classic Rock. So why fight it?

If this were the "Music from 1960 - 1984" forum, then yes, they could be here. But because it's not, they don't exactly belong.

:)

ufossuck
06-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Lately Rock 101 has been playing all kinds of bull****. I don't even know what they're playing most of the time nowadays because it's all the new modern punk rock garbage and I turn it off immediatley. 101 is really starting to piss me off, it used to be that they practically felated Led Zeppelin, then they started playing tons of U2 and now they play stuff that isn't even classic rock.

Moooooooooooooo
06-30-2006, 11:03 PM
it'll be weird because when we are old and listening to zeppelin,aerosmith,and cream it will be like 100 years old

ufossuck
06-30-2006, 11:04 PM
it'll be weird because when we are old and listening to zeppelin,aerosmith,and cream it will be like 100 years old
Hopefully they'll go back to making good music by then.

DownDark
06-30-2006, 11:11 PM
So we're not allowed to talk about Black Sabbath in here because they're Metal?

Maet
06-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Black Sabbath are a grey area if you ask me. A grey area I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

MusicHead32
06-30-2006, 11:23 PM
To threadstarter,
Dude, I listen to that station all the time. I've noticed that too but I still like it because around where I live, it's one of the only few stations I can stand. Compared to the others in the area, it's great. I don't mind if they play those bands once in a while because they are actually pretty good, though I prefer the classics.

-BobboHead-
06-30-2006, 11:45 PM
^I also listen to Q107 and I've heard some artists and bands that shouldn't be considered classic rock, but whatever. Alot of it still fits the bill and some of the other stuff is also kickass so I say rock on!

DownDark
07-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Q107 is 107.1 right? Yeah I listen to that as well as Y108 (107.9)

Guitarplaya27
07-01-2006, 12:46 AM
they have played Nothing Else matters-Metallica in my classic rock station

and the have played Stairway to heaven on my metal station

patience by GnR in my metal

Sweet Child of mine-GnR on my classic
:confused:

rayIII
07-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Hopefully they'll go back to making good music by then.
don't get your hopes up :haha

seriously :sad:

frigginjerk
07-02-2006, 12:50 AM
i have q107 in my city too. it's a great station, but they play lots of fairly current stuff, because they have to fill that 30% canadian content quota. same with all stations in canada. 30% of the programming must be music made in canada, or by primarily canadian musicians.

that's why you hear Big Sugar, Colin James, 54:40, Big Wreck, and an unusual amount of Rush, Neil Young, Foghat and The Tragically Hip (classic though they may be, but they play their new stuff too).

i agree that the chili peppers may eventually be classic rock, but only as the definition of "classic" broadens over time. metallica will always be metal though. maybe when the Black Album is 25 years old, they can be reconsidered.

TimmyPage06
07-03-2006, 11:28 PM
To threadstarter,
Dude, I listen to that station all the time. I've noticed that too but I still like it because around where I live, it's one of the only few stations I can stand. Compared to the others in the area, it's great. I don't mind if they play those bands once in a while because they are actually pretty good, though I prefer the classics.

Well, im not complaining about it haha. I love most music (yes, even Death Metal and Jazz) I just think it's a wee bit odd. Hmm. we dont have any real metal stations in Toronto :(

Maet
07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Hmm. we dont have any real metal stations in Toronto :(

For good reason.

JethroTullfan72
07-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Sometimes classic rock radio stations will play newer music that has a classic rock sound to it. (for example RHCP, Nirvana, and Metallica)
They do this for a couple of reasons.
They like introducing new music to some older people who like classic rock and radio stations can sometimes get bored of playing the same classic rock songs over and over again, I know it bores me out of my mind.

Stoner Loner
07-06-2006, 12:22 AM
GnR is younger then both MEtallica and RHCP ,but their material ins't to classic rock sounding.Thats confusing you'd think due to their age but then that'd make a lot of loop holes as to whats a classic abnd and what not.

AC/DC10
07-23-2006, 09:38 PM
you don't accept PMs so I'll ask you here... what the hell is your avatar?? (other than a guy's head exploding)

late response but.......

i dunno what it is. its some guys head exploding.

TheHeartbreaker
07-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Well I suppose that some early 80s stuff could be considered as CR, god only knows what people in 30 years time will listen to as CR.

:vhan:

A little late, but...

Classic Rock will (or at least should) be considered the same music in the future as it is now.

The reason for this is that Classic Rock is an era, even though, as Maet (I believe) stated, people tend to think of if more as a sound than era.

However, despite this, it is in fact an era, and therefore no new bands (no matter how "Classic Rock" they may sound), you be added to the Classic Rock "list".

chopps00
07-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Quite frankly, the only songs I listen to on modern rock stations are classic rock. (few exceptions including Tool and SOAD.) But I consider RHCP classic rock, as the originated in the 80's.

TimiHendrix33
07-24-2006, 08:53 PM
I guess RHCP can be considered CR. I believe they formed in '83. And the "cutoff" here is '85?

deadhead313313
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Yes, well, technically, their first album came out in 1984, and according to our rules, that classifies them as CR.

But then its a question of whether or not they "fit the genre", which, IMO, they don't.