Frank Zappa

PDA

View Full Version : Frank Zappa

Eddy Hitler
06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
whats up with him? ive started listenin to some of his stuff lately , after having some knowledge that he was a great guitar player , or orchastrator of his music or whatever. but , whats with songs like why does it hurt when i pee , and broken hearts are for assholes , did he set out to write songs like that?like , funny? i mean , is that how he wanted to be known , "Frank Zappa , comedy songwriter" or what? what ive heard so far i love , the music is great and the lyrics do bring a smile to my face , but could u please give me some info on him , and name some of his best songs , to listen to and play.

Little_T&A
06-30-2006, 08:44 AM
put yourself back in the day when to hear a band swear or say something obscene or remotley political was almost like the crime of the century. Zappa challenged these rules, he was a musical rebel, he was taken to court many times for his obscenities, but he persisted, music was a form of expression and thats how zappa expressed himself, too many bands were singing about love and relationships n all that ****, zappa though fvck that and fvck the radio exec's so songs like titties n beer and bobby brown were about giving the finger to all those stuck up politicians who thought music had no meaning and was something dumb kids listened to.

well anyway thats what me and my uncle though when we were hammered and talkin about zappa

btw my personal favourites are
titties n beer
joes garage
zoot allures
my guitar wants to kill your mama
bobby brown
:)

TheHeartbreaker
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I think Zappa is great - in his ability to write music, write lyrics, and also as a person.

He was trully a genius.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of his lyrics, though sometimes they are quite humerous, but his music itself it awesome.

I'm more of a fan of the "jazzy" Zappa; his instrumental work. He is definetly a very underrated guitar player, for sure.

Listen to some of the "jazzy" music, such as the songs from The Grand Wazoo.

psychodelia
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Well there's a few directions to take with Zappa. Strictly Commercial is probably a good album for a fan of normal rock trying to ease into Zappa: it's his songs that in a slightly more bizarre world would be considered "radio-friendly".

Besides that, some good songs are Zoot Allures, Inca Roads, and Little Umbrellas, to get you started.

Misc Debris
06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
I hate how people make music with humor seem somehow lesser than the "really serious music".Music is music.If its good its good and nothing can stop that.I think Zappa is better than 98% of the "really serious guys".Its different and experimental,but none of my friends take it serious because its funny.Eh,thats life I guess.

And to end this rant good songs I would recommend are:

Peaches En Regalia
Son of Mr.Green Genes
Camarillo Brillo
Village of the Sun
The Entire Yellow Snow Suite

seljer
06-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Most of the funnier songs are more to the satirical side (the entire album "We're only in it for the money" is basically a parody of the hippie movement)

VR05
06-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I completely agree with Misc Debris' statement. I feel the exact same way, Zappa, and the Mothers of Invention are one of my favorite bands ever (Zappa solo or not) and no one really takes him serious except me, and my dad too. But anyway, some songs/albums I would recommend to you are:

Albums:
Live In New York
Freak Out!
Apostrophe
Sheik Yerbouti
Hot Rats
We're Only In It for the Money

(Freak Out!, and Sheik Yerbouti might be a little weird for someone first getting into him)

Songs:

Don't Eat the Yellow Snow/Nanook Rubs It
Hungry Freaks, Daddy
Who are the Brain Police? (Weird but awesome)
Willie The Pimp
Peaches En Regalia
Black Napkins (Awesome Guitar Solo)
Zoot Allures
Titties n' Beer (Live)
I'm The Slime
Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
and, The Black Page(s)

I'd say that's plenty to get ya started. Enjoy!

alex_haeni
06-30-2006, 07:12 PM
It's because Frank was an extremely bizzare man.
Genius, without a doubt.
But bizarre.
I really hope what Dweezil and Steve Vai do isn't a total letdown.

DownDark
06-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Hot Poop... LOL!

We're Only In It For The Money is the only Zappa album I've heard but it was great... any other recommendations?

VR05
06-30-2006, 08:23 PM
DownDark, just look to my first post..
But also directed at Alex Haeni's post.. I agree with you, it would be awesome to see even a close relation to what Frank did between them, but I don't think it would be the same... Either way, if they announce any US Tour Dates, I'm there no matter what. I was reading Guitar Players latest magazine, and it was all about Zappa Plays Zappa, and Dweezil and Steve really went through some intense training/learning all his compositions, I really hope it turns out awesome.. I'd love to see it!

seljer
06-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Genius, without a doubt.
But bizarre.

I downloaded a bootleg of the Zappa Plays Zappa tour (I think it was a show in Berlin). Great stuff :)

Terry Bozzio playing The Black Page with Steve Vai on guitar on the part after the drum solo/intro :)

JimmyPageda2nd
06-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Genius, without a doubt.
But bizarre.

I think you can expect the best out of them. I read a review on a concert Zappa plays Zappa, and it only said good things.

tinoynk
06-30-2006, 11:34 PM
yea I love Zappa, his funny stuff is great, but I prefer his Hot Rats side, the more instrumental stuff. His stuff is so damn interesting and original. And probably the only other musicians I would rather meet than Zappa are John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix.

psychodelia
06-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I forgot, there was a book that I read in like November or something called Zappa. Interesting read, even if there is no mention of Steve Vai lol. I recommend it.

guitar_freak333
07-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Dumb question, but what does Steve Vai have to do with Zappa?

psychodelia
07-02-2006, 12:39 AM
He used to play for Zappa. In the liner notes on one album, Vai was listed as playing "stunt guitar". I think he used to have competitions with the audience, where they would bring in music and see if he could sight-read it.

telex289
07-02-2006, 12:42 AM
check out the album Hot Rats. its all instrumental, its so good though! my favorite zappa song is "Son of Mr. Green Genes".. great guitar work in there

Rhinosaur Bones
07-02-2006, 03:14 AM
Most, if not all of Frank Zappa's writing is about parody in order to make political or social statements. So while on top it might often seem like frivilous nonsense, there's usually an underlying message which Zappa felt passionate about. Much of his work deals with the social and economic problems in America, as well as mocking pop culture. He had a knack for parody as well as getting across a message without making it too boring and serious. An example would be Freak Out!, which is a view of the drug and music culture in...San Francisco? Or Las Angeles? I forget now.

seljer
07-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Dumb question, but what does Steve Vai have to do with Zappa?
Steve Vai was a huge Zappa fan (listen to Flex-able, you almost might be able to mistake it for a Zappa record), and while attending Berkley he sent Zappa a transcription the he did which impressed Zappa enoguh to give him a job transcribing guitar solos (stuff out of the "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" albums I believe).
At first because Zappa didn't want to take him out on the road because he was too young but he eventually got around to that as well (a much younger steve vai: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ybG_mXqTp7E&search=zappa%20vai )

a couple of years later Vai left Zappa for his stuff with David Lee Roth / Whitesnake / Alcatraz / whatever it was.

miss_MURDER
07-02-2006, 12:29 PM
"Sometimes you cant make a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."

His son had a poster of him with his picture with that quote under the pic. in the one GW issue with him and steve vai.

fireman464
07-02-2006, 01:27 PM
I agree that Zappa was a genius. I recommend reading the book " Zappa " by Barry Miles. Steve Vai is mentioned on pages 283, 324 and 368. My guitar teacher, Elwood Madeo, is also mentioned on page 28. He has talked very highly of Frank. He has great things to say about Steve Vai as well.

psychodelia
07-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Well he was mentioned, just not as much as I'd like.

There was a machine, the synclavier or something? Frank was using it to compose, but I don't have any recordings with it. Does anyone have any of those recordings, and are they any good?

seljer
07-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Well he was mentioned, just not as much as I'd like.

There was a machine, the synclavier or something? Frank was using it to compose, but I don't have any recordings with it. Does anyone have any of those recordings, and are they any good?

the album Jazz From Hell has some tracks made almost entirely with the thing. I don't like the album personally, its hard to get into.

Maybe its because the synclavier thing sounds way too 80sish for my tastes

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_From_Hell
"An unusual fact about this recording is that this album received an RIAA Parental Advisory sticker, even though the album is entirely instrumental." :haha

VR05
07-02-2006, 05:14 PM
check out the album Hot Rats. its all instrumental, its so good though! my favorite zappa song is "Son of Mr. Green Genes".. great guitar work in there

Sorry to be nitpicky... but Hot Rats isn't an all instrumental album, it is about 90% instrumental, the song 'Wille the Pimp' has a good amount of lyrics in it.

zxZoSoxz
07-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Sorry to be nitpicky... but Hot Rats isn't an all instrumental album, it is about 90% instrumental, the song 'Wille the Pimp' has a good amount of lyrics in it.

<3 Beefheart

Rhinosaur Bones
07-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Don Van Vliet is superb...but that's another topic altogether. Van Vliet and Zappa were close friends though, but I think they had a bit of a feud after they'd gone seperate ways musically.

Pineapple17
07-03-2006, 06:32 AM
I've seen zappa plays zappa last month.
It was amazing.
They started out with a few songs from the freak out! album (help I'm a rock & trouble everyday).
From that moment on, it only got better.
Steve vai exagerated with his guitar stuff a little too much, he's an amazing guitar player, but he even started out a guitar duel with dweezil.

To bad they didn't play dirty love

VR05
07-03-2006, 05:46 PM
^^ YOU ARE THE LUCKIEST MAN I KNOW TODAY. You don't understand what i would go through to be able to see that. I watched every video I could find from ZPZ last night. I just hope they do a North American Leg of the Tour, somewhere near MD, I'd go in an instant.

psychodelia
07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Zappa plays Zappa was happening while I graduated, rather unfortunate coincidence.

VR05
07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Anyone read the book, "Zappa"? I saw firemans post at the top, so I know he did. But anyone else read it? I just picked it up on wednesday, and I read about 150 pages that day, I just can't put it down, I love the book, and reading about Zappa is probably the only kind of book that will interest me. Anyone elses thoughts on the book?

fr0zt
07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Zappa had multiple personalities in his studio albums. He had a satirical side, a jazz side, a comical side, an experimental side, and a orchestral side. The latter two tend to be misunderstood by many of his fans. For the most part, he just wanted to express his views to people. He used music as a vehicle for his expression. He was influenced as a composer by avant-garde musicians and guys like Stravinsky, which probably explains all of the noise breaks in WOIIFTM. Whether Zappa ever wanted to play guitar is questionable.

FadingRoots
07-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Personally I love his psychadelicy jazz most, Hot Rats and Jazz from Hell, though my favorite Zappa song is probably Bobby Brown Goes Down or his Stairway cover. He has some really great covers, I Am The Walrus, Ring of Fire.. more I'm probably not thinking of right now.

MANATEEN
07-08-2006, 04:26 PM
catholic girls is my favorite sgon by anyone ever