mountain/leslie west

PDA

View Full Version : mountain/leslie west

moccasin11
06-30-2006, 02:17 PM
alright so i finally got the leslie west/ mountain album "mountain" i ordered from tower records...i put it in and im absolutely blown away. They are probablly the most underrated band i have ever heard and leslie west has an incredible singing voice and is one of the most underrated guitar players ever. It upsets me that there famous only for that one song we all know...Mississippi Queen(which is actually not that bad of a song) They've been accused of ripping off the power trio format and sound of cream....i hear the remblence kind of, but mountain is much heavier and they might sound similiar because many of creams albums were produced by felix pappalardi who is also the bass player. Pretty much i was just wondering peoples input on this fantastic band, and if there are any other fans out there

-moccasin-

Duane_Allman
06-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Their not my favorite, but I like em a bit.

TheHeartbreaker
06-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I really like Mountain - one of the few "heavier" bands I like.

Leslie West is, as you've stated, a very underrated singer and guitarist.

My favorite songs by them both come off of their album, "Climbing!", and they are "Mississippi Queen" and "For Yasgur's Farm".

My dad saw them live - lucky bastard.

Brandon860
06-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I got Leslie West's solo album Guitarded specialty ordered from London last year, it was worth the money. The Cell is a sweet song and the live version of Theme From an Imaginary Western is pumped full of excellent solos. Not too mention the great album art

rx_eb
06-30-2006, 08:28 PM
They're just amazing

moccasin11
07-01-2006, 01:12 AM
^ yes leslie does have a great sense of humor....as for your dad seeing mountain, heartbreaker, my dad saw them to along with ten years after(2 amazing guitar players) for 2 dollars back in 69' or 70'(at queens college in new york) he said mountain was one of the first amazingly loud/heavy bands he saw.

FreddieMercury
07-01-2006, 10:14 AM
my dads favorite song of all time is mississippi queen

alex_haeni
07-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Mississippi Queen is a good song.
Havebnt heard much more of them.

Devil_Duck
07-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Leslie West has one of my favorite guitar tones. So heavy for the time. I also relate to him because we're both massivly over-weight guitar players. He is quoted in calling himself a "legend in his own lunchtime" I thought that was pretty funny.

Billy Badass
07-01-2006, 10:59 PM
In all honesty, if there was one song in history that I personally could choose to be a perfect example of true rock and roll, it would be Mississippi Queen. We have Mountain on vinyl and it is phenomenal.