Syd Barrett Discussion Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Syd Barrett Discussion Thread

joshsirjoshules
07-01-2006, 03:18 AM
As many of you know, Pink Floyd is one of the most successful bands of all time, making albums such as Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here. But before that, they were led through psychedelia beyond your wildest dreams by the mysteriously troubled genius, Syd Barrett. Now, I think that his era and songwriting is very underrated, and I also think that his writing surpasses that of Roger Waters and the rest of Pink Floyd combined. He was so overwhelming original and invented psychedelia alongside our beloved Beatles. So I was wondering what the population of UG generally thinks about the Madcap himself?

Johnny Truant
07-01-2006, 03:48 AM
I really liked Syd Barratts stuff, i havent heard much, im not sure if its better or worse than the later Pink Floyd. Although i suppose there very different types of music so they cant really be compared properly.

radio_schizo
07-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I love Syd Barrett era Floyd and all his solo albums.

One of my favourite songwriters ever.

stonegolem13
07-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I like all Syd's era Floyd stuff but I prefer the Roger led era, I just think that the guitar bits were a lot more creative and soulful with Roger and Dave working together (imo)

distilledspirit
07-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Piper is one of my favorite Floyd albums and I have the Madcap Laughs which is pretty awesome. Syd is great but sometimes I get sick of the mellow feel to his songs. I know he was crazy and everything but his songs were depressing. I still love most of them to a limit though. I also think he was a huge inspiration to what Floyd had become after that.

BrainDamage
07-01-2006, 04:14 PM
I greatly prefer the Waters/Gilmour led Floyd to the Barrett era. They are two completely different types of music, and the post-Barrett era just appeals to me more. I'm not saying that what Barrett did was bad though :)

rplb
07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I love the piper at the gates of dawn and some of the earlier floyd singles(just look at my picture) unfortanitly I am yet to own a barret solo album but from all that I have heard he is great. I do however prefer the waters/gilmour pink floyd.

MountainJam
07-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Hasn't there be like 10 threads on this? I mean it's a good topic but I mean we have almost exhausted this argument

But for the record I agree with joshsirjoshules

joshsirjoshules
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Hey, MountainJam, the script **** under your name...class.

It's just that the glory days under Roger were so bloated, and then they were writing about how they miss Syd when they kicked him out of the band. If I were Syd and knew that, I would just be like, "**** those guys." In a lot of ways, he was a punk. There's the classic Pat Boone Show where he just stared at the camera instead of miming to the track. Most people think he was just crazy, but he knew what was expected of him, so he was just resisting.

ufossuck
07-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Floyd after Syd Roger Waters' solo career and David Gilmour's solo career are all the exact same thing. Syd Barrett' writing was original. He's one of the best lyricists I've ever heard and I think Floyd would have been much better if he had stayed.

stonegolem13
07-02-2006, 05:26 AM
It's just that the glory days under Roger were so bloated, and then they were writing about how they miss Syd when they kicked him out of the band. If I were Syd and knew that, I would just be like, "**** those guys."

They didn't "kick" him out, they left him behind because he was too unpredictable for him to continue with them. That's why they got Gilmour in the first place, to cover up for Syd in case he went crazy on stage, they planned to have him write their lyrics but it didn't work. That's why they left him behind.

trey-col89
07-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I think Syd Barrett gets too much credit. Personally, I dislike Piper, I don't think its a very good album. There are a few good songs on it, but overall I just don't like it. His lyrics are well put together, but the most of the music is just irritating. Since I am a big jam fan, I usually tend to judge most music on the musical aspect more than the lyrical and I think the musical element is quite poor. I think all of Floyd's 70's albums completely blow Piper out of the water, and I think that Waters/Gilmour are a much better team than Syd, not only are Roger's lyrics better, and more meaningful, but the combination of Waters/Gilmour's (and sometimes Rick's) musical arrangements is just amazing, completely dwarfing anything Syd ever did.

radio_schizo
07-02-2006, 12:54 PM
The thing I like most about the Syd era Floyd is Syd's playfull songwriting style.

With Gilmour & Waters leading the band they were just too dull and boring.

Tenacious Me
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
I respect Syd but it was a bit too pschadelic for me.

07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
i have Opel and im planning on getting the madcap laughs soon

i think his music is very weird upon first listen and then the genius of it just grows on you